RAGE THREAD

Can we all agree that it's confirmed that WOTC hates red? I myself have been optimistic about HOU up until this point. Heck I've always been optimistic during spoiler season, because I always thought Wizards will print some good red card but NOPE, just more and more trash.

This card is too expensive, to restricted, and it still carries the downside the other aggressively costed cars in the "God's Last X" cycles has with none of the good stuff. I mean think about it:

>Bontu's last reckoning is damnation for one less mana
>Oketra's last mercy is a possible 19 point life gain for 3
>Rhonas' last whatever is a 5/4 for 2
>Kefnet's Last Word is a better control magic for the same amount of mana

And then we have Hazoret's undying fury, which is not only comparable to Mind's Desire (a BLUE card), but is vasily worse than it in almost every way possible.

Screw WOTC. I'll start buying your product again once you start making good spells for red again.

Or play on an emul so that you'll wo'nt need to pay

most of the cards in that cycle are garbage, only the black and the green ones seem somewhat decent

PROTIP

The black and blue ones aren't any good either

So green is the only good one, and only if you get it out turn 2 or 3.

white one is playable as sideboard against burn in eternal formats

The green one is still garbage, even if you do get it out turn 2. Because it means you've still wasted a turn to get a vanilla creature out.

I can understand your frustration love me some rdw and cant play it since khans left

Burn plays Sulfuric Vortex though.

why is this shit 6 mana and STILL doesn't let you lands untap next turn?
it's 12 mana for a shittier marvel.

I think I have to agree with you. Red hasn't been good since Khans cycled, and lots of the notable cards have been bad. Any decent player should recognize this card as complete trash.

A 5/4 on turn 2 is a huge advantage, even just a Vanilla creature.

>4/5 cards in the cycle have flavor text

not in modern they don't

Any advantage it gives is immediately lost when you can do literally nothing to next turn, while your opponent can.

I'm a huge bluefag and part of me wants to bitch about blue but honestly you're right, red is getting it far worse now.

back when i was playing mtg i always fucking hated red:
what a lame ass color.
the only thing it seems to do is putting down aggro creatures and dealing face damage.
But the other colors have good aggro archetypes that are more fun and interact better with control decks ( think of white and its hate bears)!
The main thing it does well is burning your face down, but print too much of that and it warps the format by gambling to do 25 damage in 5 turns trying to not interact as much as possible, and it always tastes the same when you play with it or against it.

i was so happy when they gave it (back) some looting because that's another mechanic besides haste and thunderbolt!
It feels like when Garfield was splitting the mechanics across colors Red showed up last to the table and got the smallest piece of the pie, with all the mechanics pointing in the same direction: istant value now, nothing for later, which makes its slice look even smaller because there is less design space in mechanics like that.
The flavor has been narrow for years too. Dragons, goblins, fire, rage, more goblind, more fire.That's it. wasn't red supposed to be about passion and sensations too?

It has always felt like 70% of a color to me. Give it one more (not retarded gambling bullshit) mechanic and you'll be able to make good cards without forcing burn in standard.

wait, does this mean my girl Hazoret survives the Bolasing?! Fuck yeah red!

>kefnets last word is a better control magic
In what fucking way

control magic can only target creatures, where as last word is artifacts and enchantments as well

>4/5 cards in the cycle represent the depicted god's death
You couldn't really follow the same template with flavor text on this one.

It's only two mana, so you can play your Third and tap it for something, or even just wait, and you are still hitting them with a 5/4, which either has a good chance of putting you far head very early, so barring some seriously mana flooding or mana screw, should win you the game.

Assuming a turn 2 play, of corse. I'd say it's pretty terrible after turn 5z

So Anguished Unmaking is also a better Swords to Plowshares?

im not OP, i was just trying to tell you what he meant, but depending on the context it could be depends what you need to remove

>And then we have Hazoret's undying fury, which is not only comparable to Mind's Desire (a BLUE card), but is vasily worse than it in almost every way possible.
Not really.
If you're going to ignore the exertion of the other cards in the cycle, you should also ignore it here.
Hazoret's Undying Fury has the same CMC as Mind's Desire, so it isn't "vastly worse" than it in terms of costing.
The fact that it doesn't have storm is arguably offset by the fact that it effectively starts with a storm count of 3. Worse? Probably. But not vastly so.
The cap on the CMC of castable spells is admittedly a strict downgrade.
However, given that the comparison in question is to a card that's banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage, I'm not sure that anything without at least one strict downgrade would have been acceptable.

>It's only two mana

It's not, at best it's four mana. And you're seriously trying to pass off "just wait" as a valid tactic? Oh yeah, just skip your turn, no big deal, it's all worth it to get this vanilla creature that can be blocked by a servo token.

>Technically costs 12+ mana to cast
>Sorcery speed
>Has the chance to do absolutely nothing

For what fucking purpose.

skullcrack

At least this one says "cmc... or less" instead of fucking Imminent Doom. Of course you still have to hope you don't hit any number of lands.

I'm just saying a turn two 5/4 gives you a huge advantage, even if you only have one or two mana to dick around with the next turn.

I mean, in an aggressive deck, are you actually going to have anything in hand that you're going to be casting on the next turn, anyway? It's arguably less of a Hail Mary than relying on topdecking at that point.

Except getting a vanilla creature on the board is hardly worth skipping a turn. On turn 2 it's a mediocre play that dies to a ton of removal and is easily chump blocked, on any turn after that is gets increasingly worse.

I have to admit I am mostly thinking in terms of limited, where an early 5 power creature is a ton more useful than it would be in modern or legacy. I personally wouldn't play it outside of limited.

Could be fun as a combo piece with scrying
>shuffle
Or not. Why the fuck would they do that?

sombody tell legacy and modern that goyf is bad now because its just a fat vanilla dude who dies to removal and is easily chump blocked

GUYS
WHAT IF YOU MIND'S DESIRE INTO IT???
VINTAGE LEGAL ALMOST DOUBLE MIND'S DESIRE

Yes, just ignore the fact that goyf can get progressively bigger and actually does only cost 2 mana, while also not requiring you to completely void your next turn by playing him. Clearly these two cards are the same.

It's good in the fact that it isn't an aura.

With control magic, you can just disenchant it or something and get your creature back.

With the last word, however, you keep that permanent.

Yes, I have to admit the looting and exiling is a step in the right direction, but that doesn't excuse the card for being bad
>If you're going to ignore the exertion of the other cards in the cycle, you should also ignore it here.
I'm not ignoring the downside at all, I'm just pointing out that it's weird that they made such an expensive card with the same downside as severely undercosted cards.

>given that the comparison in question is to a card that's banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage, I'm not sure that anything without at least one strict downgrade would have been acceptable.
I'm just irked that it's SIX MANA and that it looked like wizards just said "it's like mind's desire so it should be good lol"

This user gets it

By the way yeah this is op, calmed down but still salty

Good thing nobody was arguing that, because if you actually read I was saying that in conjunction with 1) Rhonas actually costing 4 not 2 and 2) is overly restrictive in how you play it

yeah he "can" get bigger then 4/5 but most of the time he doesn't and he also can be smaller and on turn 2 almost always is,

the point wasn't that the cards are the same the point was that claiming a big vanilla body on turn 2 is bad because it can die to removal and get chumped is a garbage argument

and the costs on pacts is higher then a card that normally does those things too, are they not playable now?

>it's a "red gets an overcosted bolt" set
>it's a "red gets an exile the top cards of your deck and you may cast them from exile until end of turn" set
>it's a "red gets some shitty chaos EDH bait instead of consistent non-artifact draw" set
>it's a "red gets yet another Chandra's burn spell" set
>it's a "red gets target creature cannot block" set
>it's a "red gets act of treason but with the sets gimmick" set
>it's a "red gets a 2R 3/X with Menace" set
>it's a "red gets another goblin or dragon" set
>it's a "red gets a shitty phoenix pack filler" set
>it's a "red gets some shitty 5/4 vanilla that doesn't even have haste" set
>it's a "red is only fire and rage because wotc forgot that red also means passion" set

Oh yeah, forgot all those decks running around with Pact of the Titan, such an overpowered card. I'm not even going to get into the fact that Last Stand, unlike the pacts, gets progressively worse at the game goes along. But I take it you enjoy the idea of being on Turn 5, casting Rhonas's Last Stand, and either not doing anything the rest of the turn or tapping out for what is effectively a 7 mana vanilla 5/4.

Spoiler season really is the gift that keeps on giving, brings all the bad magic players out of the woodwork to defend every shitty card.

This is your punishment for playing the most boring, 1-dimensional color in the game.

I don't even think its good, I just think your arguments for why its bad are kitchen table tier

What the fuck do you want?

That's not a green card, though.

>passion and sensations too
They've mentioned that it's hard to put that in the game. Same for Red being the color of artists. Honestly, it's probably just them being lazy.

She does. They kill the Scorpion God and Best Jackal vows to keep Amonkhet safe.

The
>"red gets bolt with an upside, sneak attack, ball lightning, winds of change, stone rain, and a 2-damage-mogg-fanatic-to-make-up-for-the-rules-change set" set

Also, red being the color of passion is too sensual for the player base.

WHAT.

I...thought this was a fraud.
Holy hell.
Good fucking lord, wotc, I might actually be able to get into this.
Horse tribal support when.

Fucking horse tribal

Mind's Desire is also completely broken and banned/restricted in every format.

Red's strength has always been in small fast creatures and cheap burn spells.

Lifegain is stupid, they said. You just lose slower, they said.

I wonder how playable picrelated would've been

Would still be 12 mana to get maybe 2 cards you can play. Which doesn't sound worth it if you get, say, Harnessed Lightning and Shock.

that doesn't combo, that is the reverse of a combo actually,

That doesn't really work. At best you have Anointer Priest out, a couple turns later you play Sunmare, and at the end of the turn you get a single token and 2 life.

>bolt with an upside
You are literally retarded.

I bet hasbro made them push horses as indirect marketing for the upcoming mlp film.

Horse checks at end step, even if you catalyze it with something else, the gain is on the same turn.

I don't understand how the team behind aetherworks marvel could think it was a-okay and then print this rubbish.

You can get a horse on their turn if they dare to rise against you.

>tfw trostani, now with horses

>comparable to Mind's Desire
This is just wrong. Its much more like a blind Opportunity that lets you free cast shit.

Holy shit I missed that you could get one on your opponents turn as well.

This is a good thread for trying to predict what Red Hour Rare will be.

I'll start:
XXRRR
"Flip a coin X times ...

I can guess that it will be called hour of devastation.

Hour of Devastation will be the name of that helps you.

What about combining the sunmane with some of the cats?

Regal caracal gives tokens with lifelink, you could use them as chump blockers and trade up for an indestructible horse.

So it won't be shit because it's the set name card right? Right?

Rhonas's one seems super fun for Limited, tbqh.

... draw cards equal to the number of flips won then discard that many cards at random.
For every nonland card discarded that way ~this~ deals damage equal to that card's converted manacost to target creature or player.
Damage dealt this way cannot be redirected to planeswalkers.
"

>it makes me angry that Wizards doesn't give red what it used to be known for
>but it ALSO makes me angry that Wizards continues to support red's two most iconic tribes

???

Actually I think Wizards hate MTG.

It's a 5/4 that can get grasped or fatal pushed. I know the >dies to removal meme, but the downside of taking your following turn off so you can have a vanilla 5/4 just to die seems so bad.

We still have the life gain matters from BFZ block in standard. I don't think any of it saw constructed play but BW life gain was certainly a limited archetype (don't remember if it was BFZ or BFZ block limited).

Authority is cheaper and on color with white horse.

So how can we flavorfully and mechanically fix Hazoret's Undying Fury?

Just Geosurge it out on turn 1 lmao

1RR up to two instant/sorcery cards in your graveyard get flashback

make it cost RR

If you people haven't realized that every set with nearly no exceptions has a big-fat useless Red spell that nobody wants, then you haven't been playing the game long enough.

Every pre-release there's someone playing Scrambleverse in their deck unironically "for the lulz".

If you had any stones at all you'd just fucking quit. But most of us are weak, and we can't quit no matter how often they print useless shit like this.

Why does white get all the fun toys?

I'm not sure if there will be a red one. Occasionally WotC leaves a color out of cycles like these. Last time was making Narset a Walker.

You can even enchant yourself to have a lifegain trigger with each ETB. You don't even loose life from this, since the one you loose goes back to you.

Remember it like racism, white is right.

Because a card looking (and being) unexciting is worse than it being exciting and having to ban it?

turn 2 hope tender> turn 3 rhonas's last stand, exert hope tender... 3 mana availible for turn 4....
can be circumvented....

Each player searches their library, graveyard and hand for cards from the Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation expansions, exiles them, then shuffles their library.

Exile all permanents from the Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation expansions.

I think hes trying to say that the red archytype of Goblins and Dragons has been to death and that Burn and hyper aggro are the only two viable playstyles of red decks since forever. Red has been so artificially limited in what it can and cant do for such a long time that desgin space is extremely limited. You couldnt print better burn and aggro cards without breaking formats or without reprinting 8+ year old cards multiple times. Almost everything red "CAN" do has already been done, and because they refuse to expand its design space we keep getting shit cards and shit reprints, becuase they are afraid of old school red power. They are also afraid of printing things like Hazorets Fury with playable mana costs that would be playable. So maybe expand the design space of red to do more things or more powerful things. Red has been pidgeon holed into dumb cheap beaters/burn/big red (unplayable because they refuse to print red ramp) for too long.

white black is the only thing i can think of to make this bonkers, black has the whole lose 1 gain 1 in this set with a lot of cards actually...
Luxa river shrine, bontu's monument, faith of the devoted, and thinks like glory bound and sacred cat turn it on.