/HOU/ Magic Amonkhet

New Hour of Devastation spoiler thread!

Crested Sunmare 3WW
Creature - Horse (M)
Other Horses you control have indestructible.
At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, create a 5/5 white Horse creature token.

"It is evidence that some pure corner of the world must still exist."
- Djeru, former Tah-crop initiate

5/5
006/199

So we are now at 11 mythics? I thought big sets had 15 and small sets had 10?

>Horse tribal

What the fuck

Is an horse a athlete though?

I bet hasbro made them push horses as indirect marketing for the upcoming mlp film.

also dam nigga that's a nice card even if we get no other horses this set. Would still be a nice card if it could not target other sunmares.

Wow, if its not an actually lovely card, and a tribal lord at that!

Its just too bad that its for a non-existent tribe. Hell, we won't even get more horses until after Ixalan, judging by the leaks.

holy crap thats pushed

>Not a single monogreen mythic so far
Reeeeeeee

what is picrelated

Oh, missed that one. Still no legendary (Sand)wurm I guess?

Mmmm, can't wait to pay someone for an alter of this as well as some custom tokens.

>Horse Tribal
Who the fuck let /mlp/ in?

How janky would trying to throw this into Modern Soul Sisters be?

>5 CMC
Shit

This is so absurdly out of place that it really could only have been a mythic.

If my Gatherer search parameters were correct, there are only 2 fucking horses between BFZ and Amonkhet and both are black and none are playable in any format. I don't see many horses in HOU or at the early Ixalan spoilers either.

This should have been a Cat.

Hey, I like horses. They are p. cool.
I can't stand completely superfluous types like Naga or Dinosaur, but Horses is an actual creature that merits its own type. If we have cat tribal why can't we have horse tribal or horse-people?

... Though I'd argue horse people could be categorized as Minotaurs. Sounds a bit random but it'd make sense since in mythology horse-people are usually relayed to minotaurs one way or another.

Then again, Minotaur is another type that shouldn't exists. It should be Ox (or Goat in Amonkek's case).

Either way: we need more good horses, 95% of the whooping 23 that exist in MTG suck major balls.

>Kefnet's Last Word flavor text
confused birb
bewildered birb
poor birb

That's a neat card and all but why a horse?

PS: remove Pegasus
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>complaining about Dinosaurs

Begone faggot

I agree that naga should just be snakes but dinosaurs absolutely deserve their own type. Also you are right horse does deserve its own.

I liked better the flavor for literally any of the Gods that do have flavor. Honestly, I think they are all great except for Kefnet's card.

The others give us insight about their characters. Kefnet's simply describes his circumstance.

>horse lord
>not some kind of regal cat lord since cats are actually a thing on Amonkhet that had any kind of support before this one card

I assume they were trying to tie in to the general Amonkhet/HoD theme of things being shit even if they could have been good

>Though I'd argue horse people could be categorized as Minotaurs.
horse people are centaurs, you dingus

Didn we get a cat lord last set?

If I could go back in time and change one thing about magic the gather (assuming I could not abolish the reserve list) I would make creatures often have a racial category alongside a more specific race.
So Naga would be snake and naga.

It may actually be a good match if you're not playing against combo or Tron.

UR Burn isn't a thing and never will be because you banned Treasure Cruise, WotC.

What about centaurs?

It describes Kefnet perfectly. He's a guy who likes understanding things and order. When things erupt to chaos, all he can do is desperately cling to some semblance of sense. He's not good at fighting back. He's not good at putting his foot down to do it. He needed Oketra's urging and help in the story to fight Scorpion God. When there's something completely out of his control, all he can do is reach out and try to grasp for something, anything, that helps him make sense of the confusion and the disasters around him.

He couldn't find anything.

He died, failing to comprehend what it is that killed him.

It's so pathetic, but in the actual sad way, not the dismissive way.

it's not for horse tribal, it's so you make indestructible 5/5 tokens that aren't too hard to remove since they rely on the sunmare buff, it's much easier than writing out
>At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, create a 5/5 white Horse creature token with "as long as you control a permanent named crested sunmare, this creature has indestructible"

the tribe being obscure is the point so that it only really works with the card and nothing else

Please, it's all about lizard beasts.

Its not that dinosaurs aren't distinct enough, but they are not going to be frequent enough occurrence to care about mechanically.

The BEAST type on the other hand has tons of variety, great cards prior to Ixalan and occurs with enough frequency that its worth caring about mechanically. Same applies to lizard to a lesser degree.

The thing is avoiding Ixalan dinos from being forever stuck in a parasitic bubble of suck without support for the next 15 years.

Those dice have already been cast though.

Bad show, WOTC.

Bird lizard, even.

Two frequently-occurring but rarely relevant creature types, and I mean technically that's what a dinosaur is.

In the west people with lower horse halves and human torso, arms and head are centaurs.

In the east people with horse head and human bodies often appear alongside minotaurs, pointing out a connection between the two.

That's much more tenuous than the reasoning for centaur type. Though I don't know if I'd consider horse-heads centaurs.

>Return thunderous wrath to the top

Oh baby won't you light my fire.

Well, I'd argue that certain dinos are more akin to birds than others.

Its just that the birds and lizards sharing such a strongly related common ancestry that picking bird or lizard for each particular casecan be tought.

Though sometimes its easy too. Sunwing dino?, Bird Beast. Verdant Sun's Avatar?, Lizard Beast. And so on.

The biggest squandered opportunity here probably is that they could have cared about the Beast type for Ixalan block and then given support to Birds and/or Lizards next block. More types means more interactions after all.

Yeah but people don't want beast lizards. They want dinosaurs. And you can cry parasitic as much as you want but the not every tribe needs constant updates every single set.

#reprintbrainstorm?

>it's much easier than writing out
They've written wordier, more awkward-to-read cards before, so this is a bad excuse.

What's worse is that this could just have been a red mythic and just replace the lifelink with red-flavored mechanic, then push Neheb down to rare, so we could maybe have a decent red card for once.

WotC is terrified that big bad blue cantrips might ruin a game of Creatures and Walkers Only: Jacetice League Strikes Back

>They've written wordier, more awkward-to-read cards before, so this is a bad excuse.
it's not an excuse, there's nothing to excuse, that's just what the intent of the card is, it's simply just not about horse tribal only a way to make the card work as intentional

No, they just need to be brought back a few times, but since Ixalan is the Dinosaur plane you can be sure you will see none at all until we go back IF we go back.

And what people want has little to do with what's best. Maybe dinosaus is flavorful but lizard/bird beast would play better.

When we start sacrificing gameplay for the sake of flavor is when we start dancing the mediocrity limbo.

And believe me, WOTC can go lower than you'd expect.

>Ixalan is the dinosaur plane

Isn't whatever unused plane the Mimeoplasm is from swarming with dinosaurs also?

Muraganda does have dinosaurs, yeah.

Although going there is pretty iffy, as MaRo does not appear to be wild about designing for a vanilla-focused plane and the Pteroglyphs kinda mean that's what people expect there.

I do think that they're probably going to find excuses to make smaller tribes like Aetherborn and Dinosaurs show up on multiple planes if the fans like them, though. Certainly they've mentioned they plan to have Satyrs on other planes and on Theros Satyrs were mostly a tribe because they were kind of like goblins and elves at the same time.

Hahaha, good one user.

If you expect to ever go to Muraganda, if you expect WOTC to jeopardize the flavor / mechanical identity of one of their planes by giving us another dinosaur plane, you are in for a rude awakening.

Hell, they won't even do it with Kamigawa and that's one of their worst sellers. If Ixalan proves popular, or simply not a disaster, you can kiss Muraganda goodbye forever.

Maybe if Wizards is making a tribal-heavy set and the tribe is Dinosaur, it will allow them more freedom in design, as having Beast a primary creature type would overlap with the Onslaught block and probably cause degeneracy in other formats.

But they don't design for other formats.
Just ignore the excess of expensive enchantments.

I dunno about that, we do hop back on the elf or goblin or merfolk train every now and then, and those tribes are a fair bit stronger than beasts.

Zombies too, and it seems like every other set has a zombie tribal thing going sometimes.

But the thing about being a faggot degenerate is that its /fun/. Plus, nu-wotc makes cards so piss-weak there's basically no chansu they break modern / legacy.

I know it did happen with the Eldrazi, but that was entirely Ugin's fault, or at least his eye's.

Beasts have nothing like that, but even if they did become a deck in some non-rotating format, would this be a bad thing?, would it mean the cards are broken?

No, it would mean the set is actually good enough to get into, since it upsets the status quo of the meta and makes it more diverse, and therefore, more puzzle-like.

see, I'm this guy My original point is that this should not be for Horse tribal, but Cat tribal.

You focused too much on the Gatherer search excerpt for you to think that I thought this card was supposed to be for Horse tribal.

We already have Sacred Cat and Regal Caracal as lifelinking cats, then we have Pride Sovereign providing more lifelinking cats.

I'm sure we'll see Dinosaurs after Ixalan, and I know some of the older stuff will be errata'd into Dinosaurs. It'll be kinda like Dragons, where we get one or two every plane.

>the Pteroglyphs kinda mean that's what people expect there.

Petroglyphs are a meme.
Mimeoplasm and Imperiosaur are also from Muraganda and neither play into the Petroglyphs "theme". Not even Feeding Grounds, the Planar card of Muraganda, gives a shit.

Yeah, lots of the stuff lately with Amonkhet and Innistrad. I think it must be the most often recurring creature type that's not human.

time to print horse girl tokens

Yeah, good luck with that.

If its any consolation, I won't be a jerk about it when you are inevitably wrong.

No chansu, m8.

Which, I mean, I guess that makes sense?

Goblins, Merfolk, Elves, and whatever the fuck white's non-human tribe is don't show up on every plane, but if there are living things that die and can be brought back, you get zombies.

Which is fine by me, I love me some zombos after all. I just wish we got a Voodoo plane with more mythology-accurate zombies.

The thing that absolutely makes no sense whatsoever is that there is no viable zombie deck in Modern / Legacy after all the aupport the tribe has gotten through the years. I mean, even now zombie cards get a lot of great cards like Cryptbreaker, Relentless Dead or even the new Lilliana.

Why the fuck won't it work?, it should, by all accounts.

>Anointed Procession
>mill horse lord
>Eternalize with Scarab God
Standard Esper Horse deck

>turn a 5/5 into a 4/4
for what purpose?

Anointed Procession makes two horses, both of which make the other Indestructible.

Ah gotcha

This is the most worthless set I've seen in a long time

Amonkhet to that.

Come on, its better than Amonkhet at least.

Also better than BfZ. Not OGW, mind you.

I've always found 2 and 3 much more unnerving than 4 and 5. Those are just cutesy animals.

>Crested Sunmare
I'm not the only one thinking of it, am I?

>this was revealed just hour before the trailer for the mlp movie
Coincidence? I think not.

Thinking of what, user?

Sure user.

Celestia.

i know the feel bro

It is such a weird thing to see mango I fapped ages ago to be turned into moving pictures.
Shame that 85% of them are cheap and shit as fuck since they barely move the ready pictures from the source.
I am looking at you secret journey

It's interesting. I really enjoy the story when the gaywatch isn't involved, following characters that have to deal with what they can't understand. When Hapatra gets pissed and yells at Gideon was a highlight of the story today.

I was really hoping for another Hapatra card, showing her taking up a leadership role of some sort.

And if you have Anointer Priest on the field when you 'eternalize' the horse lord ... :^)

Oh fuck!

locust god
+
pull from tomorrow
+
bloodwater entity > pull from tomorrow
+
?
=
Profit

Kinda unfair to yell at Gideon for Bolas's work. It's not like the Jacetice League's presence is what caused shit to go south.

Interesting card. Saves your creatures from blowouts, I guess. Doesn't seem particularly powerful, but by comparison I don't think anyone minds having a Faithless Looting sitting in their GY.

Might have interesting applications if you want to dig for a combo or bomb? On play:
>t1 land, Town Gossipmonger/Thraben Inspector
>t2 land, attack, 2 more 1-drops
>t3 land, attack, Leave bouncing 3 creatures
>t4 land, Chance digging 5 cards deep

IDK

Yes good. Waste not storm grows stronger. By the day

Wait, disregard that I'm retarded

Instant makes it playable with ETB creatures. Chance is a cool followup to try and get better creatures.

I can see this working on a creature toolbox kind of deck, heavy in yard interaction. Maybe a Naya version of Delirium or just eternalize / embalm / cicle. In that case the deck could be jeskai control.

I can see this working well with the eternalize blue Naga Wizard, the one with the loot effect.

Holy fuck the combo possibility in this is sooooo sexy.
Sram Storm is pleased.

THIS IS NOT THE MONO-GREEN LEGENDARY I WANTED.

Still, that'll go right into my Molimo EDH deck.

>It's a worse Odric

Eh, its ok for selesyna tokens.

You typically let Odric take a back seat while the buffed up army charges in. This thing wants to attack b/c it hits like a truck.

MOTHER
FUCKING
HORSE
TRIBAL

GET INTO MY MLP SLEEVES

Rhonas has been holding back on us

>Have one 10/10 with Flying, Trample, and Lifelink along with four others that have one of each
>Have five 5/5's with Flying, Indestructible, Vigilance, and Lifelink, with more possibly attached to all

which would be the most normal to want to fuck
that is the question you must ask yourself