Miniature Substitutes

What does Veeky Forums use to substitute their miniatures? I want to begin DMing and planned to buy a dry erase battle mat and was trying to decide what to use.

Also, how is the Pathfinder Pawns Bestiary box for D&D 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Axe-Sickle-100-pcs-unfinished-limitations/dp/B01CSV14JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498695931&sr=8-1&keywords=1 inch wooden disks
etsy.com/listing/518634218/deep-dungeon-miniatures
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Butt plugs.

Do they make them that small?

I just bought Pathfinder NPC and monster pawns and that's been fine for all my 5E stuff.

How do you represent more than 3 kobolds or orcs?

amazon.com/Axe-Sickle-100-pcs-unfinished-limitations/dp/B01CSV14JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498695931&sr=8-1&keywords=1 inch wooden disks

You can find them cheaper elsewhere in diffent sizes. Draw directly on them. I let my players decorate their own and have sets I made of A-E and 0-9 for myself in four different colors which makes it easy to handle both a lot of the same enemy type, different enemy types, different teams, and such.

You only need that many if you're going to run mass combats, though. A-C in two different colors and 0-8 in a fourth will do 95% of combats.

Well, the Bestiary Box is out of stock everywhere or $100. What's next?

I saw an interesting miniatures alternative on Kickstarter a while back, Flat Plastic Miniatures.

They're basically transparent plastic standees with character art printed on the front and back. They seemed to have a pretty good selection and be really cheap for the quantity they were offering, although no idea what their post-kickstarter prices look like. Might be worth a look? They seemed nicer quality than the usual print at home paper standees you can use.

My bad, I had to check, but I have the Monster codex box. It has a whole tribe of orcs and kobolds.

What would the name of this be?

Ah the codex box is something I liked too, it's too bad they're nowhere to be found.

+1

Flat Plastic Miniatures

My parents bought me the D&D (Black Box) in '95. I didnt have any miniatures so I just slapped together the lego knights and stuff I had (painted some green for orcs, etc).
I still use them. I dunno, it's kinda goofy fun to have players argue over who gets the shiny sword or nee breast plate to slap on their lego man.

Used bottle caps last session. Just a little bit too large, but kind of worked.

They're a bit pricy for what they're offering- I love the concept but they only put one of each FPM in and seem to lack D&D icons like Gnolls, Bugbears and the sort.

I have a couple shoe boxes of D&D minis and I paint miniatures for my games. But by far I have more paper tokens than anything else. Easy to make. I lay some card stock on my grid, mark it with a ruler for the sizes, cut and doodle. My group and I have created some great tokens.

A gridded whiteboard, and shapes.

I just buy real miniatures because I have a job and I'm not a fucking NEET. I've invested nearly 500 dollars into my miniatures collection so far. A mix of regular D&D miniatures and Reaper minis that I have painted. I regularly paint miniatures and enjoy doing so. I even started attending a painting group at my local game store, and I met my girlfriend there. It adds a nice visual atmosphere to my D&D games and other RPGs as well. Not to mention they are just plain fun to collect and look at. And if I want to I could probably sell my collection for 600+ dollars and make a profit, because trust me these minis are only going to go up in price as they get older and rarer. Maybe you should look into getting a job, OP, and moving out of your parents' basement.

Seriously though, before I had miniatures I would use Microsoft Publisher to make my own, used the D&D art and would cut them out. Still have a bunch, they took forever to make. You can also just print out a 4-sectioned strip, print the guy on 3 of the faces, and glue the forth inside for a triangular-prism shape mini. I think Savage Worlds Figure Flats is a good thing to google if you want to find those. Good luck user.

>D&D miniatures and Reaper minis that I have painted. I regularly paint miniatures and enjoy doing so. I even started attending a painting group at my local game store, and I met my girlfriend there. It adds a nice visual atmosphere to my D&D games and other RPGs as well.

This I can understand, but if the collection, painting, and novelty of the figures themselves are your thing, why not play a more skirmish focussed game (full blown terrain/environments) rather than D&D or its ilk?
Personally I find miniatures and battlemats in rpgs to terribly distracting, but that's just me.

Not that user but OP, I was planning on buying a battle mat and some kind of cheap token or miniatures, maybe Meeples at this point, just for some kind of enemy marker.

When will the Pathfinder Bestiary 1 be back in stock?

I use 1 inch metal washers that I bought at a hardware store. We draw on them with wet-erase markers, which we also use to draw on our battlemap.

Etsy has good ideas on tokens that are easily made or replaced

Like pic related, ive bought a dowel and cut it on a table saw to make dozens of tokens

shit

i can dig it

Where did you get something like this?

>only 500 dollars

Do you buy them at Goodwill, you poor faggot?

I like to use little gemstones and minerals. They look cool against those parchment-colored game mats and you can get hundreds of them pretty cheap.

A buddy of mine ended up buying a token maker of sorts. He was able to stamp pictures out of paper (He often used old MtG Commons) and mount them to a magnet. Extra special effects could be stacked into the magnet, too.

I've not see that kit around since then. I'm really not sure where he got it.

Monopoly tokens!

> candle, bottle and plants being assaulted by a pack of dire hotels.

along the same lines, risk pieces work well too.

If money isnt as big of an issue (relatively) there are lots of more obscure game that have great pieces.
Zombicade has lots of good, basics miniatures.
The Dark Souls board game has great pieces but its rather expensive.

that picture is from Etsy, but it isnt hard to make
Link here
etsy.com/listing/518634218/deep-dungeon-miniatures

Kiiinda this...
The dream that I haven't done yet is to have the PCs use real figures which stand up and stand out. While any monsters should use flat disc or something that looks different from the PCs.

Maybe even something as simple as the PCs using painted mini's and the monsters using unpainted ones.

Being able to see where things are on the battle field at a glace is a very useful tool to the DM. And help when you are controlling large groups of them.
(Player's don't care either way,)

Step one: aquire a printer.

Step two: aquire transparency paper for your printer (laser and ink take different types).

Step three: find art you like online, print out sheets of enemies, player characters and even terrain features like trees and fire.

Step four: get sets of different color binder clips online, attach these to the printed transparencies and remove the tongs.

Now you have customizable, cheap miniatures that are transparent around the monster or character itself and can be differentiated by color.

Plus they are magnetic so you can use magnets to make them fly if you make something like pic related.

No but I don't buy Warhammer minis in case that's what you're asking. I have over 200 minis with an average price of like 3 bucks each so really it's more like 600.

>This I can understand, but if the collection, painting, and novelty of the figures themselves are your thing, why not play a more skirmish focussed game (full blown terrain/environments) rather than D&D or its ilk?

Cause I'm not really into them that much. Fair enough about them being distracting, I just got sick of arguing over who was where in combat, and players making assumptions and then whining at me about how they were REALLY standing over there. FUCK that no more.