Miniature Cases

I got back into the hobby of miniatures not too long ago, and now that I'm getting to the point most of my shit is done, I am fast realizing the importance of something to store my mooks in. I rarely (if ever) see this sort of thing talked about here, despite it being a significant part of the hobby, so I figured I'd start a thread to discuss it.

Talk about cases you have, your experience with them, recommendations, discuss brands and their reputation. (pic related is a GW case, chosen to represent the subject at large)

Other urls found in this thread:

dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/510/526744.page#5792618
popehat.com/2013/05/02/battlefoam-learns-why-legal-threats-can-be-dangerous/
bloodofkittens.com/blog/2010/09/14/40k-douche-bag-battlefoam/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Battlefoam is full of litigious retards who try to C&D other foam producers because they're fags so don't ever buy from them.

Please explain to me how the shit they think they can copyright foam.

People have made copyright on plants and shit, haven't they?

By making fraudulent copyright claims and filling them in other states so that smaller companies have to travel out of state to defend the claims.

Luckily the judge in that case example through battlefoams complaint in the trash and made them pay all legal fees because he saw through their bullshit.

dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/510/526744.page#5792618

popehat.com/2013/05/02/battlefoam-learns-why-legal-threats-can-be-dangerous/

bloodofkittens.com/blog/2010/09/14/40k-douche-bag-battlefoam/

Just google Battlefoam Lawsuit and you'll get plenty of hits.

I actually have the case in your initial image. It isn't terrible, a touch cramped though. I have in it a full company of Space Marines, including 7 Rhinos, 1 Razorback, and 2 Dreadnoughts, and my only real complaint is that it has a little trouble fitting everything, but it does the job well enough.
If you just want something and to not have to think about what your are buying too hard, the Citadel cases are good enough, but you can probably find better at a similar price point.

I use Battle Foam, but that's because I have the money to throw at it. It's very important to spend $100-200 to protect your miniatures if you've spent way more money or time on them. Why toss a $500 army you spent 200 hours painting in a tupperware box?

That said, you can get cheaper cases from Sabol or KR, or even make your own case that's fairly secure by using camera or firearm hardshell cases, or a metal toolbox with magnets. I'm personally not a fan of self cut foam in tupperware, egg shell type foam, or metal toolboxes, because the possibility of damage due to unsecure seating is real. I'd much prefer pluck foam, or the regular miniature pre-cut slot foam, as they are impossible to have models fall out of.

I've heard a lot of people say they dislike Battle Foam because its owner is an asshat, like this guy , but I don't let shit like that get in the way of my purchasing habits. If a product is good, and I require/want that product, I'll buy it. Just because it's made by a dick doesn't mean I'm going to deprive myself of a quality product. Most CEOs and companies are dicks. Hell, GW were huge dicks for the longest time.

>you can probably find better at a similar price point
Well, that's the hope of what we'll do with this thread!

Aren't they the ones that did youtube videos like ten years ago imitating the Slap-Chop guy and made a big deal about how their shit was custom made and "super durable"?

> Most CEOs and companies are dicks. Hell, GW were huge dicks for the longest time.
Because retards like yourself give these companies money despite you knowing that they fuck people over because you're to lazy to shop for a similar product.

It's why the chinese do well in business despite being shysters and conmen.

I personally use a snaplock Tupperware container and line it using foam that comes with the models. Larger pieces of foam line the bottom, while smaller ones that come with blisters line the side.

>he's the one that's angry AND out a good product because of "muh principles"
>calls others retards

Okay.

There's similar products for cheaper that don't support a crooked salesman.

So yes that would make you a retard.

>Implying I'm angry that you waste your money.
Just making a point.

That's the thing, no other company is as space efficient as Battle Foam if you get the right setups for either company. I'd try to keep competition out too if I had the efficiency market cornered, since competitors already had the "I don't give a shit" and "cheap foam" markets cornered.

Xwing battlefoam doesn't even fit xwings so they obviously don't give much of a shit either.

>crooked salesman

Lol all that fucking hyperbole. He doesn't scam people, he doesn't sell inferior products, he doesn't steal or lie. What exactly makes him crooked? How is being a salesman an insult? Go fund a kickstarter and get scammed, faggot.

>someone buying things I don't like makes you a retard

Guess that makes you a retard too.

Feldherr makes some pretty good stuff for a reasonable price. My favorite carriers thus far. Germans make good shit.

Sup Romeo. How's the Drone Racing enterprise going?

Try harder.

>"cheap foam"
Foam is foam, famalam. You can literally get the same shit at a fraction of what you're paying at any given arts and crafts store. Or, get more creative and go to like an army surplus store, where they're bound to have foam cases for ammo and shit.

You have no argument for overpaying shitty companies except "space efficiency", which is extremely subjective and probably yet another buzzword that justifies them charging extra for shmucks like you.

He does threaten people online with bodily harm for talking shit about his products though.

i bought the largest Feldherr bag because i was lazy and it'd probably fit on the back of my bicycle, it does and so far it's been great. Bit pricy, but better then making one from scratch.

+1 for Feldherr they make great shit.

I think they're my number one. Fantastic customer service as well.

>finding ways to get this mad over buying a totally okay product

That's a trademark dispute, not a copyright claim, it's not the same thing.

It is however hilariously apparent that their claim against outrider hobbies was total nonsense. It basically amounts to "They also cut foam with lasers and have the word foam in their name, that infringes on our trademark somehow".

GW continue to be dicks. Go ahead and email them asking permission to blog about an event at your local gaming club.

What you'll get back from them is a copyright infringement notice.

I just use a couple of old tackle boxes

New citadel cases are awesome, I highly recommend them.

So does Veeky Forums, you hypocrite.

the A case is neat, the new one seems better as it has a lock on the trays

I just wish I could get the foam trays without the boxes. The wavy foam is pretty awesome

Nitation ceeded

I've got the plastic my old angle grinder came in. I bought some foam from Clark rubber to go top and bottom. Works alright my deamon prince's hands and arms fall of regularly tho.

It really depends what you're storing

The Citadel cases are actually pretty nifty for the price

I managed to get the citadel 'ard case for cheap on ebay because I travel via plane often and its a godsend

so far I have stored in it:
5 various commanders
20 tacticals
5 devastators
2 dreadnoughts
a rhino
a land raider
5 terminators
and a leviathan

This alone takes up a bit more than half of the case, I could fit a knight in it and still have room for another 20-30 infantry

the knight and the 20-30 infantry IN ADDITION to whats already in there I mean

The battlefoam fucks are notorious. There was a few people the owner threatened to 'hunt down and get' over the internet because some dudes on the Infinity and Malifaux forums trolled him. At cons, they've spread rumors about vendors they don't like as well, to the point where someone made stickers that read 'fuck romeo' (the owner) and pasted them around templecon.

Unless you're going long distance, just get foam. Maybe a wide bag to hold it all. The cases are generally overpriced and you're not gonna be scratching your stuff up if you don't have one.

Citadel cases have always been a bit pricey, but quality-wise they never really disappoint.

The zig-zag foam doesn't properly support the top layers. The bottom just buckles under the weight of metal minis and the minis end up rolling around underneath the dividers.

The one case with zig-zag foam I own is my dedicated vehicle case, since it sucks at holding anything else.

I'm happy to see a thread like this up.
I recently came into possession of a bunch of Dungeon Dice Monsters stuff and now I'm pulling my hair out trying figure out how what I'm going store them in.

I just bought a huge rubbermade tub and bought green seatcushion foam and cut out squares for my dudes.

Works like a charm, carries my entire 15,000 points of Eldar.

Can anyone recommend a good carry case for a Dark Eldar army?

Something which is spacious enough and flexible enough to contain lots of spikes and sticky out bits yet tight enough to stop them rattling around in there.

Or am I just in for a future of suffering trying to carry my spikey elves.

I've got pic related, the old double carry case.

Unfortunately I think from years as a kid stuffing too much in for my weekly trips to GW, the shell has bowed out so there's a bit of a gap towards the edges. Reckon there's any way of fixing that? Clamps and being left in warm sunlight?

I had a thin egg carton bed support I cut into small strips and used them to layer a tacklebox.
Works great.

Feldherr is bretty gud for its price.

I'm european though, I don't know how much you guys would have to pay for shipment.

Seconding these guys

If it's made of SMP's putting it in the freezer over night may fix it.
And before you think that sounds amazingly sci fi my bmx in 1995 had mag wheels made of SMP's and this worked to fix deformations.

Thanks for your insight mr romeo

So I looked at eBay earlier and they have a shit load of 'Game Plus+' and 'Portable Warfare' cases/bags. Anyone have experience with that stuff?

I've been looking at kr for my stuff. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

I got the citadel case with refund vouchers from the switch over to 8th, and it's not bad.

One thing that is annoying though, is because I have a metal army the trays have a tendency to sag, which lets models slip under the foam dividers. On the plus side I can carry 8 rhino chassis and easily 80+ infantry in one box (although I do put more delicate characters etc. in pluck foam in my back pack).

get a tackle box like your father before you, and stop being a pussy

>that zigzag in the OP

Looks like you're going to get models rubbing on each other, or simply piling up at one end once you stand the case up rather than laying it flat.

Much prefer this style. Probably cheapest on eBay in the UK, right?

I'd be more inclined to buy from the people they try to sue. It's logical that if Battlefoam takes legal action against a company, that company probably offers a product just as good if not better.

>9 models per row
>9
So I can fit four squads that are all missing one dude, great.