What are your main inspirations for settings and plots?

What are your main inspirations for settings and plots?

My are foundation, dune, star wars and our history.

Depends on what I'm trying to do.

For the current one I'm drawing a lot out of Moorcock and other seventies fantasy, back when shit was weird and D&D hadn't yet standardized everything.

Depends. I take it from everywhere, really. My most fun campaign was an overt loveletter to the Conan movies. My current setting is based on the Late Roman Republic.

Science fiction is my main thing, though, and I have enough experience with it that I can create settings that aren't obviously derivative.

I just bought Foundation on a whim and I'm reading it now.

My current setting draws inspiration from Earthsea, The Witcher, and Anglo-Saxon myths and culture.

>Foundation
>Dune
>Star Wars

You're really setting yourself up for some hardcore Space Feudalism, are ya?

>Anglo-Saxon myths and culture.
Go back to /pol/

Mate I study it, get that right wing shit outta here.

Gravity Falls and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
I like weird shit and mysteries.

>Mate I study it
Good on you. McDonald's will need workers a few years down the line.

A McDonald's worker running a campaign with a great setting. Stop throwing around buzzwords. Not every historical period has to have modern politics thrown onto it.

Historically accurate and great are two different things.

I never said it was historically accurate, dickhead. Learn to read.

Video games, novels, and parts from sourcebooks that I expand on.

You do know many History majors go on to work in Museums or with the University, right? They might not be high-paying jobs, but they're jobs that pay the bills and will make you happy.

Dune, classic Doctor Who, classic Metal and Thrash (my longest running campaign was largely inspired by Voivod's lyrics), the original Star Wars movies, H.P. Lovecraft, and some of the settings of the early RPGs I was exposed to like Star Frontiers and Gamma World.

Gunsmoke, the Prestige, and The Tuskegee Experiment. With smatterings of Bone Tomahawk and Penny Dreadful.

>many
kek

In the future, try ignoring obvious trolls.

An interest in European history makes you a right wing extremist, now? I'd call bullshit if we didn't have shit happening like a guy getting dragged into court for teaching a pug the Hitler salute.

You know that chestnut about how villains never realize they're villains? Yeah, that's you.

Hey, he's only facing a year in prison.

Video games, movies, cartoons, comics, dreams, history books, novels, anything. If it isn't nailed down to the floor and I like it then I will take it.

I tend to just kitbash everything together, so right now I'm running a campaign that's set in a region based on early 20th century Ottoman Empire but with magic and monsters and a walled city full of crime that has made celebrities of vigilante heroes who compete with one another to catch the crooks. It's a hot mess but me and my group are enjoying it a lot!

Star Trek, Fromsoft games, various mythologies, whatever property or science I'm into at the time.

>hurr durr you're a villain
>says the right-wing fascist
I'm shocked and apalled.

Go shitpost somewhere else, seriously nobody has any patience to this shit flinging anymore.