Song of Swords: Hmm... Grues

Last time on Song of Swords:
Jimmy Rome lies again
Bad poetry(?)
Jimmy hints at changes to damage formula
Magic discussion

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread.

We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room, but now we have a much better way to play Audatia: Tabletop Simulator! The (official!) mod for Audatia is now up and running!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904774480

Other urls found in this thread:

navweaps.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can't really say I'm looking forward to SDB and standardized TOU. Half damage would only drag combat on, but I guess with everyone having 4 TOU as standard and having to buy boons to increase that takes care of the problem a bit, but I guess that's gonna be a change that will taste bitter in my mouth before it tastes sweet in my stomach

I'm still for the idea of 2h weapons or power attacking with 1h giving you full or 3/4 str on the attack. It would give more of a reason to have big fuckin' bashy polearms, axes and greatswords once you start seeing plate.

Something like that could be fun

With how they gave polearms unilaterally competitive TNs, there's already plenty of reason to use them.
Back when they tended to be mostly 8s, a boost to power would be needed, but now that they're settled into mostly 7s, they already serve damn well as can openers.

>muh TOU 8 Knights
Yeah, there's a reason why we're changing that.

A good weapon with joint thrust or AP qualities can take care of a TOU 8 knight, from my experience

Only if you're a STR fag right now.
Unless you're halfswording a blade, the fall off of damage from joint thrust does not make up for penetrating the piece of plate armor in most cases.

If you don't have above average STR then yeah, that's kinda the point. If you still wanna take down a knight you're probably better off with a gun

Like, if you're concerned with people getting 8 TOU then maybe you'll want to reduce the number of attribute points somebody gets at character creation

Are you dumb? Joint thrusts are supposed to bypass armor without the need for power (and irl no one had the power to just crunch plate). Joint thrusts were the attack du jour against knights.

No need to be rude, dude. Joint Thrust still bypasses armor, and half-swording only makes it better. Jimmy already said he's gonna make JT better anyways, holy shit

God I fucking hate Drowners.

Is this a Witcher RPG?

No but you could totally use it as one. Especially when our monster rules come out, you'll be killing so many griffons and making so many deadpan grimdark jokes your head will spin.

Hey everyone, post your favorite talents from the old system so I know what to focus on implementing first.

>2 CP
>could potentially repeat a 20 CP move multiple times for 2 CP a pop

Is this just unfinished or is this what mastery tier stuff looks like? This is an absurd step up from previous maneuver power.

>Still not finished
>Still not published
Can this finally end?

That'sthepoint.jpg

The kickstarted ended in February and it's supposed to be done at the same time next year. I'd say this will end quite soon

It's hard to get a list that isn't huge but I like the defensive ones, like Ironwall, Stepping Parry, Head Guard, etc.

And of course, the spear talents are splendid memes

I like the more utilitarian ones like thread the needle and grappling at the sword.

Flourishing Drills, Smash Punch and Rolling Hooks.

We are VERY close to the end of the dev cycle for the core book, after that it needs to go through a lot of stuff to first be formatted and checked by editors, then to go through the process to be approved for printing and to get through our guys' backlog of prints, etc. And of course, there are more things to work on than just the core book, we have to get magic out, we have to get the monster business out, and then they have to go through the same processes.

Bones tells me it's under control but it is a behemoth of a task we face. At least the hardest part (for me) is nearly over.

Oh God, finally. I've been waiting for this thread to pop up for days.

What do y'all think of a game set during the Roman Empire/Republic, where the players are gladiators under a currently failing lanista?

More focusing on the celebrity badass/career gladiator aspect than the Spartacus plot, with room for skulduggery as the lanista uses them to lay siege to enemies' backdoors with the cock of Jupiter.

Any idea when the next beta update is ready? Even a rough ETA would be great i just cant wait anymore

Same bullshit story as 3 years ago...

Don't be so negative. I was up all night really pounding out some of the last stuff, you guys will get something soon.

>It would give more of a reason to have big fuckin' bashy polearms, axes and greatswords once you start seeing plate.
You already have those reasons and they're good reasons. They have AP and they have inherently higher damage.

It'd be okay. Read the GURPS Gladiators supplement for some inspiration on playing the crowd during a fight.

yea

New race lore when

> I was up all night really pounding out some of the last stuff
You shouldn't call your lady friend stuff

It's not the lady friend. It's what was inside the lady friend.

I was really, really drunk when I suggested that, I actually got in trouble. tbhq I'm probably not going to do it, we've got already-declared races that aren't released yet--I have a responsibility to finish those first.

To make amends, general Lore Night. Any and all questions (with restrictions for spoiling perfectly good plot hooks!) will be answered. We haven't had one of those for a while.

Give some details about notable cities around Vosca, Galli, Kasel, Kamalcian, doesn't matter.

What proportion of Dacians live in the Sich? With the food shortages and general violence, how fast is the population of Dace actually growing? Do they breed like the rat-niggers they are?

What keeps the balance of power in the inner-sea between the naval authority of Radovan and Hellian?

Are ogres/trolls still in the game?

If I drink spawn blood or eat spawn flesh unfiltered/untreated, what happens?

How long ago did the slavs seize !england?

Has anyone ever tried to shoot down a dark watcher?

Well let's touch on Kalmacia, since we never talk about the place.

Kalmacia is a sort of oddity in the Voscan world, since it's both a functioning democracy and a country that has not been truly ravaged by wars in many years. Kalmacian government is based off of a few simple principles: The country is divided into two social classes--the land owners, and the landless. Landless people (including generally the non-successor children of the land-owners) live in the cities, whereas each parcel of land is owned by a man who works it along with his employed laborers. There are, very nearly, 100,000 of these parcels, or "Liturgies," each of whom is permitted a vote in State affairs. In reality, most of them have assembled into voting blocs based on interests, and are represented by a small council of politicians who pursue their demands by voting collectively. The cities have far smaller representation relative to their population, which leads to a degree of unrest, but the great wealth of the coastal ports tends to equalize things a bit.

The major port cities are Narkos, Napakton, Megada, and Theron. These play a crucial role in the distribution of grain via ship to other countries, including neighboring Dace--the Dacians have thusfar been refused several times in their offer to construct a Trackway between Vedrim and the (perhaps generously named) capital of Kallipolis. Kallipolis, despite its wealth and size, has largely been overrun by criminals, dangerous religious fanatics and squatters dwelling in the lower levels of the city, which were each built atop a previous iteration of the town because the Genosian religion forbids the demolishing of old buildings.

Is Kalmacia the one carved entirely into terraces?

1: Perhaps a quarter of Dacians live in the Sich, though increasingly they think of themselves less as Dacians and more as "Sichski." Some even daringly refer to themselves as Ghoezats, a word referencing the old bandit-clans of the near steppe who were made up of riffraff, exiles and criminals from various Voscan countries. The Dacian population has been growing in the outer parts of the country, but shrinking in Vedrim as people either leave or simply die working. Housing space is at a premium, and many disaffected youths flee to the Sich. Women die in childbirth at absurd rates as well--the Dacian School of Surgery has been working overtime to figure out why, but so far the best they've been able to do is perfect C-sections. Not in terms of the mother living, but in terms of saving the child. The Pishkans enjoy more or less a stable society. Dacians as a whole are growing in population, though.

2: Radovan is very old, and has an old understanding with the Helians that he will take their side if they ever come into conflict in the Inner Sea. He also includes their subjects in his list of protected peoples--so they consider him to be a sort of vassal.

3: Yes, though (presently) not as playable races. Ogres are a race close to extinction dwelling on the very fringes of civilization. Trolls tend to be more... Predator. Particularly the Fascine Troll, which almost exclusively preys upon humans.

4: It tastes like honey and salt on fresh bread. Then you die.

5: About 300 years ago.

6: They're not exactly easy to spot, but in some countries it is common to simply fire cannons randomly into the sky to try and take revenge. At time entire swathes of the ground have been found covered in black ichor following the Eclipse--presumably from successful hits. Nothing ever grows on that land again, though.

Yeah, it's carved into the side of the Osterbijan mountains all the way down to the shore. It's a very impressive bit of land-transformation. They were even starting to do land reclamation from the sea before the Zells stopped them.

>Nothing ever grows on that land again, though.
Ah, prime estate for more apartment complexes.

Try not to get so drunk Jimmy. How hard were the porcs genocided? Tell me how they died, I must know

In ancient times, Man and the primordial Ishkaldin cooperated to exterminate

Oh wait, the Ishkaldin.

They're what the Burdinadin/Ohenadin were back when they were one race, right?

>00:00:00

>not EST
You should probably kill yourself nonAmerican scum
Just kidding I love you

>The Ishkaldin are the genetic predecessors of the Burdinadin and Ishkaldin

Ohanedin, I was in a bit of a rush.

What does Genosus want?

Jimmy! You can't write that. The future will be changed. You'll create a Time Paradox.

If for example, a well meaning Ohanedin ate a Paladin how would that affect his social standing and what would the Paladin taste like? And if it so happened the paladin was actually Genosus in disguise, how would that affect any potential superpowers and/or the taste of the meat

If Thaumaturgists can visit the realms of gods, so to speak, do they converse with the deity, or is the interaction more abstract?
How does the thamaturgist ability relate to the ability of Blood-Hunter Grandmasters to phone in with a higher being?

He wants to do his job. He really wishes everyone could just do theirs too.

I mean, Paladins taste better than humans, but not by a whole lot. Humans tend to be very tough anyway, they live too long, build too much muscle. It's the sort of thing you'd have to stew to really get something proper out of it.

To a degree--It depends on the deity. It depends where you go. In the Stannic Realm, one can see Yog-Chiii wherever one goes in the Great Realm of Knowledge, but talking to him is right out. It usually results in coma and death.

But, if one were to go to the Realm of Yalang, The Last Outpost, The Final Gate, one would find a cheerful fellow who just wants to play some cards, or some darts, or maybe monopoly--whatever your favorite game is. And he always loses. Even if you try to let him win, he loses. It's a shame. But he's always happy someone wants to play with him. Very friendly fellow. Everyone hates him.

how good is this guy at calvinball

how does the dark fire form """naturally"""? or is it only introduced by alien actors?

Well he can sing the anthem pretty gud.

Theoretically they can, but it's really better to say that it's always introduced by alien actors--but those can arise naturally, humans simply lack the mechanism to predict them 100% of the time.

What was old Albion like? Wicked Chivalrous?

So, does Ballad have naval technology similar to that of WW2 just like its aircraft technology? Save, of course, for the whole "floating in a breathable void" thing?

If so, some of y'all, even Jimmy, might find this site kind of useful as a reference bit: navweaps.com/

Perhaps the highest of chivalry--it was more like pre-Norman England, with a few slightly more advanced technologies, mostly in architecture.

Wow, pretty cool. Thanks m8.

Tell me about bread in vosca. Tell me about wine.

Is distillation coming into industrial practice yet?

Does Arcturus the Forgotten live up to these standards of yore?

What are the national beer preferences?

brb preparing a SoS campaign where the antagonists are Ishkaldin Pillar Men

youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

Not drinking beer

How would you guys stat this armour?

Cuirass with gorget, pauldrons, and faulds.
The cloth is really strangely incorporated to my eyes, but it also appears that he's wearing vambraces, gauntlets, poleyns, and greaves.
He might have a couter on his left arm.
But, 0/10 on helmet there, hope he has one packed away somewhere.

I already like these guys.

Ohanedin primal rage + Burdinadin autism.

Nice touch. Literal orangutan muscles.

He does

That's been part of Ohanedin lore for a while, I guess they inherited it.

No beer in a fantasy setting? Heresy!

Sounds somewhat familiar.
took me way to long to make this. Fuck

Nice.

Is Yog Yalang the Charlie Brown of Voscan gods?

Looks better than d&d, I'll be sure to check it out.

If you ever want a tutorial, let us know, and someone will get into the roll20 room for you.

>This kills the orc

It's more or less what you'd expect. The closest thing to fantasy bread is stuff made out of Kesh, which is a reddish color, and has a bitter taste, but is very wholesome. The stuff tastes terrible without accompaniment though, and it isn't really grown as a cash crop because nobody wants it. The Dacians eat a lot of it though because Kesh will grow anywhere--the Vedrimites normally have it with vinegar, and the Pishkans slather it in cheese. The Volkodavs famously carry loaves of the stuff to feed to their horses.

Wine is a very, very large industry in Illegon and Galli, and it was in the Krajina before the war, when most of the vineyards were destroyed. The Kalmacians also produce large quantities of the stuff and sell it about. Distillation of spirits and the like isn't quite at industrial levels yet, but depending on where you go every town will have one or more small stills set up somewhere to make the favored local drink.

He is a contemplative man with a good head for networking and not much taste for violence. Most people think of him as a weak, irrelevant ruler, but that is part of his genius. All in all he is actually the antithesis of the pre-Osterbijan Albish nobility.

It really runs the gamut even within countries, but the great majority of beers in Vosca are of a light, amber type. Algenburg's "Green Grain" concoction is the only beer that is actually exported in meaningful amounts because of its novel color and taste--it's green, and has a bit of a sour twang to it that many describe as refreshing.

In Dace you can get Kesh Beer (which they call Kapiv) which is a bit weird because it's red, tastes like blood, and always has these little bits of fungus floating around in it. It's customary to strain it before drinking it--but they don't tell foreigners that because they enjoy watching them gag on the culture.

Beer is a bit later than the time period of Vosca, isn't it?

Beer has been around since there was barley to brew.

If by beer you mean lager, then sort of. The first lagers were brewed in the 16th century, although it's not until the 19th that it reaches it's modern form and explodes in international popularity.

The 15/16th centuries also saw an increase in the use of hops. During the Middle Ages hops were an optional flavouring used in small amounts if at all. Fast forward to period Tattered Realms is based on and we see that hops are used more often and in greater amounts.

Dace is getting kind of cartoonishly silly.

Dace was always ridiculous, it's like a little portal to Ballad.

Dace is a direct descendant of Assholia or Shitistan or whatever the hell that one Veeky Forums storytime setting was. It's no wonder they have sattumakalja as their beer.

It's been a long time since I've googled a word and found literally nothing.

Finnish slang. Sattuma in this case means "random pieces of shit floating in..." and kalja is beer.

The half full warm beer can that is used as an ashtray is sattumakalja. Beer can with ants and flys and mosquitos in it is another sattumakalja.

Beer with fungus floating in it is clearly sattumakalja.

The proper way to drink sattumakalja is to take gulps of it, drink the liquid and spit out the sattumas.

Finns man.

Putin a cute.

Cuuutttteeee.

>That Russian incredulity
>"Did I walk into a stage play or was that Judo I... Oh clap okay"

it's just koryu bullshit kata. Because nobody there outside of judo, kendo and kyokushin does alive training.

At first I was like but then

Jimmy tell us about dragons.

What are some magic items running around the Tattered Realms?