mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory
youtube.com/watch?v=FaKQYGIbqBQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Repeating my previous question before thread cap.

As an Oath of Edge (Conquest) Paladin, I get Aura of Conquest, which reduces the speed of frightened creatures in my vicinity to 0.

If I frighten a creature, smack it prone with Shield Master shove, does it remain prone since to stand up takes half your movement speed and it's movement speed is 0.

I like to use art to inspire my sessions. Usually I find stuff on Artstation, Deviantart and Pixiv. Where else do folks get inspiration for their games?

Reposting here, because I hadn't realized the last thread was about to die.

Anons? Long story short, how would you convert various party members from Baldur's Gate to 5e? What classes would you make them as part of a theoretical rule-conversion from 2e to 5e?

For example:
* Minsc: I would definitely pin this guy as a Berserker Barbarian with Proficiency in Survival and Animal Handling. It matches with his lore and in-game abilities far better than the more "name accurate" Beastmaster Ranger - Boo is more like a familiar than a proper animal companion.

Jan Jansen: Multiclassed Artificer (Gunsmith) and either Wizard (Illusionist) with Proficiency: Sleight of Hand, or Rogue (Arcane Trickster). Gunsmith gives him an excuse for his Flasher-Master-Bruiser Mate, and the other class depends on whether you consider his illusionist spellcasting or his rogue's talents more important.

Anyone else got opinions on the topic? Or should I start my own thread for this kind of thing?

Yes, its stuck cowering on the floor

Yep. That's also why knocking someone to the ground and grappling them works well. They have no movement because if the grapple, so they can't stand up.

If i wanted to make a dual wielding magic swordsman, what would be the main differences if i went Valour/Swords Bard vs Bladesinger?

>Start DMing D&D 15 months ago.
>Have two groups
>Just finished running my second campaign
>Have run 83 sessions at last count
>Everyone had a great time
>One of my players is taking over as DM
>Play practice session with him as DM
>He's fantastic
>Can't wait for his campaign to start

This is too much luck for one DM, isn't it? I mean, is this normal?

Why were warlocks, tieflings, drow, dragonborn, and other edgelord shit included in the PHB? Why does D&D encourage you to play a trap? Why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?

One of my PCs took expertise in Thieves' tools and I want to give him chances to use it. Group is heading into the iceberg lair of a dragon, an icy dungeon filled with kobolds and ice trolls. What kind of traps I can put in there?

Wow, it's almost like you're expected to use some of the stuff in the toolbox to make your own world with your own rules and the PHB is just that toolbox. It's almost like you don't have to use everything and can choose not to use things you don't like.

Yes I know I just took the bait, choke on a dick.

The main difference would be that Bladesinger doesn't use their sword.

Did you want to be a dual wielding full caster or just magical. Because two weapon Paladin or ranger also work extremely well.

If you're heart set on full caster I'd say Valor bard. Very good number of spells that only require a verbal component. Unfortunately Bladesinger isn't a melee wizard, it's a way to get free +5 AC so archers can't hit you all the way in the back.

>warlocks
>edgelord

Sure if you're fucking 13 and play Dark Wizard McDevilpact.

Fey Warlock of Summer court. Go around covered from head to toe in glitter and pixie magic.

>dragonborn
I mean the other stuff you could poorly argue is edgy but why dragonborn?

Icicles tuned to fall from footsteps heavier than kobolds.
Ice floors thick enough for skinny bolds.
Frozen over doors that lead to a seawater filled chute.

How bad is this character concept:
Lizardfolk hunter tuned travelling Gourmand after encounter with Halfling cook taught him that food comes in varieties besides raw meat?

Have ships that have crashed and merged into the iceberg, and then have some cushy loot-filled sections like the Captain's quarters behind locked doors or trapped with typical trap stuff.

Alright Veeky Forums, i need some advice. Forever DM here, but finally got a chance to game as an adventurer since one of my players decided to DM.

I always had this speshul snowflake character i wanted to try and the DM is ok with it, we are already some sessions deep and everything is going fine. Mostly.

The character is a red mage of sorts, as in final fantasy red mage (DM made a custom bard and everything), and i like to play as a gandalf type character. A wanderer who knows a lot and has strange magical tricks at his disposal.

So i picked up mostly utility spells to give him that 'mystical' fell. Things like speak with animals, see invisibility, detect toughts, decipher language, etc. Thing is, while i do have a few pure combat spells, i kinda fell i am not using all this versatility to my favor.

Does Veeky Forums knows a way to use those spells in combat? I had some sucess, but mostly are reallly situational.

Also, i have a doublecast class feature. Any nice spell combos you wanna share?

>Fey Warlock of Summer court. Go around covered from head to toe in glitter and pixie magic.

So? That's le quirky XD XD. Even worse than edgy to be honest.

>I am a Dragon descended man of GREAT POWAHHH

Fuck that shit. Why do PCs get to play special snowflake races?

Except if it's in the players handbook, players feel (rightfully) entitled to ha e it. There's a reason they dont put rules for playing as a frost giant PC, in the core phb.

>Dragon descended man
I thought Dragonborn were more like Meat-Warforged designed as soldiers?

Because they're player characters and not npc's?

Have you tried playing with people who are mature enough to actually discuss the tone and feel of the game everyone wants, who could conceivably agree "hey, lets play a game without all the snowflake stuff"?

No, you probably just play with retards on Roll20 who couldn't get IRL games with actual friends.

It was an example of the opposite stereotype being entirely possible. Or if you're too retarded to realize that you could always just go Great Old One tome pact, guy who wanted to be a wizard but was shit at it. Suddenly learned magic one day and is a Warlock now.

Bland middle of the spectrum, neither devilpact McEdgy or Lulz teh randum

It's a fantasy game about playing powerful heroes that can be anything from a knight in shining armor, to a kung-fu fighter with mystical abilities, to a magical musician.

And yet getting to be a dragon-man crosses the line of acceptable breaks from reality?

Get over yourself. Let people enjoy the bizarre and fantastical elements of a magical fantasy setting.

History is always a good shout. I'm basing the BBEG of my campaign's current plotline on link related
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory

Also the setting takes a lot of inspiration from medieval to early modern Eastern Europe

Who says it has to be a snowflake? If its a race then bandits, npcs or even undead of that race can exist.

If a DM has a player be a certain race and they're the only individual of that race the party ever sees for no good good, that's just a lazy DM

How do you implement atmospheric and background music well in your sessions Veeky Forums?

I've seen it posted on 5eg about 5 times now so it isn't very original

Why does that change anything?

An iPod filled with random environmental themed music. My brother used to use those CD's that had the "peaceful" music to help him sleep. Raindrops, ocean swells, forests and night, day, etc.

I ripped other themes, like tavern/bar talk from whatever I could find online. Still haven't found any Cave/Cavern background noises that I like yet.

I'll usually begin the introduction to the area with putting the "Music" on low volume, giving my players a feel for it while I describe what they see, you want your noise to be audible, but not to control the flow of your table.

Why does it seem like every DM is obsessed with doing goblin/kobold/orc campaigns? They're so overdone and boring.

Nice projecting. Trust me, irl players are retards too. I'd rather kill myself than play on roll20.

>muh cthulu

If you're trying to make the class sound better you're not doing a very good job . Thanks for trying though.

>complain about a problem with an obvious answer
>get told that answer
> NO UR PROJECTING

Fucking lol.

Kuo-toa are the best early campaigns

>And yet getting to be a dragon-man crosses the line of acceptable breaks from reality?
It has nothing to do with fantasy and everything to do with having taste and a send of aesthetics. Clearly you have neither. But that's okay, I'm sure allowed to play ad one of the motherfucking Power Rangers in your campaign, because its FANTASY and that magic word means I am allowed to play whatever I want.

Do you ever prepare certain songs to be used at certain times? Like you think it just really fits the mood of a scene well?

For example one time my players encountered this huge room, filled to the brim with zombies. But instead of the zombies attacking as normal they started rushing into each other, flesh melting into flesh and creating a huge writhing mass of flesh and limbs, turning it into a boss fight.

I thought this youtube.com/watch?v=FaKQYGIbqBQ
worked really well for building the creepiness of the scene, but in the end up it work as well as I'd hoped

>If a DM has a player be a certain race and they're the only individual of that race the party ever sees for no good good, that's just a lazy DM

Or a DM who doesn't want 30 different races shitting up his world. Middle Earth made do with...what? Four or five common races? And it's one of the best fantasy settings of all time. Certainly better than your kitchen sink Star wars esqur schlock.

*didn't work as well

The obvious answer is to stop putting tieflings and drow in the core book because they at literal fucking demonspawn and do not belong as player races.

>The bait grows stronger.

That's a different argument than what you're quoting.

Yeah, and fuck Merals.

>wah wah wah why doesn't my DM come up with something super original to my entitled ass, I want something breathtakingly creative because nothing else is good enough for me and my drow assassin Eli Darkblade.

>STOP ENJOYING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!

Who?

How big should a pirate city that represents a solid threat to large nation's shipping and military via hit and run tactics but not actually able to stand up to a full-on war be?

A hundred people? A thousand people? Ten thousand people?

The entire city is inside a mobile fortress to avoid being found by people who don't like an organized city of pirates existing, so space is at a premium. Going to base it off Kowloon Walled City but inside a massive artifact construct.

>it's the "I like it so it's good" argument
By that logic, FATAL is a masterpiece of game design. And we all know it isn't. So stop using that """argument"""

Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford as the two guys who wrote the 5th Edition rulebooks and basically own DnD at the moment.

What quantifies a large nation? And remember that a pirate city is going to likely have a lot of things outside of pirates - you need to have the basic infrastructure and what not as well. Unless you have Blackbeard the Feared Pirate also happen to be a short order cook when he's not raiding the seas.

>Think about playing a caster
>Ask other people what they are playing
>wild sorcerer, div wizard, tomelock and light cleric
G-guess I'm going frontline!

Probably something on par with early colonial Britain, France, and Spain (Naturally all at war with each other), or Renaissance Italy with it's rival city-states. Still haven't ironed out those details yet.

>Why were warlocks, tieflings, drow, dragonborn, and other edgelord shit included in the PHB?

Because they represent potentially interesting options. It's not like edgy shit is all that out of genre; Conan was a murderous reaver, and Elric was a demon worshiping not-elf with a soul drinking sword, both of them did good and bad.

>Why does D&D encourage you to play a trap?

It encourages you to play someone who doesn't conform to conventional gender identity, not someone who crossdresses for the fetishistic thrill of fooling men.

>Why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?

Souls don't have gender?

>own DnD
might have more than 4 people working on it and more than 3 books a year if that was the case

Huh, ah well.. I'd hit the con cap anyways.

He looks so ready and eager to serve his mysterious and confusing dark God's!

I feel like I should photoshop him with thumbs up

That's what I always think they're doing in that picture.

I like that the Kuo-Toa are fragile but in a dangerous location. It makes it easy to have the danger ramp up after the early adventure or have other forces involved in their activities.

When it's like "yeah goblins are attacking the town" you just have to go like "uh, how come your 15 person militia doesn't just wreck their face?"

>I'm sure allowed to play one of the motherfucking Power Rangers in your campaign

Isn't that kinda what a Monk is already?

Either that or Iron Fist really.

This was my first thought personally.

I'm interested but unsure how to assist. So far I agree with ideas but it's pretty subjective. Would be cool to see the various iterations of Anomen

Honestly I would say a few hundred people being actual pirates. Hell, if you're talking about an artifact city I would say give them some sort of scrying ability that lets them pick targets. Then you have a relatively small flotilla that is able to apply a lot of pressure to major shipping lanes, because they can have a disproportionate affect.

They shouldn't be some sort of gargantuan city unless you want it to be outright a mini nation - they are threatening because they are highly mobile, able to pick their targets freely, and in the grand scheme of things they are too focused on dealing with the other nations.

Tieflings and drow are only as edgy as you make them. I played a drow who's closest character inspiration was friggin' Autolycus crossed with Lina Inverse. When I requested art for her in the drawthread part of the request was "big eyes; Iliira's lead a happy life with no angst so she shouldn't have the look of perpetual disdain that most drow have."

Drawfag did a fantastic job, too.

Fantasy means unrealistic Magical Things.

Orcs, goblins, witches, wizards, demons, zombies, necromancers, druids, golems, elementals, knights and kings, dungeons, and dragons. Etc.

As long as it's fun and interesting, why deny your players the option?

>How big should a pirate city that represents a solid threat to large nation's shipping and military via hit and run tactics but not actually able to stand up to a full-on war be?

Golden Age of Piracy Caribbean, then? A thousand or two thousand or so people, with one major "pirate city" where half those people live, with the remainder scattered in various outposts throughout the rest of the region. As another user pointed out, only a few hundred people need to be actual pirates.

What do you do when you can't think of a character that would fit thematically in the type of game your GM is running?

Find out the theme, find a book or movie that has that theme, rip off a character from that book or movie.

DM's running something Hyborian-esque? I'm rolling up Bronan. Something like Les Mis? then you can call me Jacques Valjaques. Standard FR campaign? Prepare to meet Drizz'l.

Nah, just kidding about that last one.

Ask the DM. Odds are there's at least one type of character he's hoping for anyway

I want to make a warlord. Is valor bard a suitable replacement?

Probably. Paladins are probably also solid for the concept between aura stuff and spells that are basically shooting commands at enemies

>Rogue is a bit better flavor-wise, both for Cunning Action and for the fact that it focuses more on evasion than tanking hits, which is I think what the Bladesinger is about (it has to be with such low HP). 3 levels of Rogue gives you a few extra spell slots and 2d6 SA damage, and eventually you could even go 5 levels of Rogue for Uncanny Dodge.

Uncanny Dodge is not good for Bladesingers because it only lasts against one attack and burns up your Reaction instead of using Shield which lasts the entire round. Instead of dipping Rogue and breaking spell progression and theoretically lose wizard capstones that are extremely valuable to Bladesingers (Like free at will Shield and Misty Step), I would just suggest that he pick up the Mobility Feat.

What kind of armor should an eldritch knight/ storm sorcerer wear both crunch and fluff wise? I was inspire by the Alva armor/desert sorceress hood combo in dark souls 2, but I'm id rather stick with medium armor. Chain shirt then later buy breastplate?

My setting has a dragonborn gerontocracy and a tiefling feudal kingdom modeled after the late-Middle Ages.

Screw party dynamics, play what you want. The cleric can be the 'frontline'

Play a Druid or Bard. Full caster party, lad.

>Needing a frontliner
>Ever
Just go moon druid, it's the tankiest thing on two wheels.

Do it.

>You don't need someone to stop the wizard getting hit
?

I can't hear you over the sound of autistic, terrified screaming caused by sword-and-board Conquest paladins. So much CC.

>what are control spells
Unless your frontliner has Sentinel, what is he even doing to stop someone from running around him and straight to the wizard?

Can i pay 100gp to silver my monk's fists by saying he bough "silver knuckles"

Sure. And if your DM tells you no, tell him some anonymous person on the Internet told you it's okay.

For what reason?

>why does the reincarnation spell change your gender?

It doesn't. It can change your sex. Why? Because it's making you a brand new body that isn't your own, unlike Ressurection, which explicitly remakes your own body. That body's biological sex may not match your previous body.

The time honored monastic tradition of "Eat shit, mother fucker"

Buy 100gp worth of holy water instead because your fists become MAGIC at 6 anyways.

Or 100gp worth of crystal meth.

I'd say yes, but silver is a fairly soft metal. If you roll a natural 1, your silver knuckles break. They can be repaired for 50 gp.

Also those silver knuckles are *per hand*, you'll need to buy them twice to get one for each hand, otherwise I'm going to assume that every even-numbered attack in a turn (2nd, 4th, etc.) isn't silvered.

To punch things that are resistant to non silvered weapons also for shits and giggles

>Wizard
>Letting himself get hit
Nice joke, user.
Do your wizards dance out into the middle of a fight, waste all their resources and yell 'BEHOLD MY POWER' before getting gangabanged by literally every monster within a mile radius, or do they actually play smart?
There's very few ways to stop someone from attacking your wizard already that can't already be done by the wizard himself.

You still don't need it.

ehheh he he, yeah

>Not taking a vow of poverty

That's right. I smell a combo with destructive wave.

I should make a goblin Butthead.

Because fuck you my goblin monk wants 2 silver knuckles engraved with Bree and Yark

>Also those silver knuckles are *per hand*, you'll need to buy them twice to get one for each hand, otherwise I'm going to assume that every even-numbered attack in a turn (2nd, 4th, etc.) isn't silvered.
Martial Arts isn't dual wielding, there's nothing that says he has to use his off hand or even a hand at all on his bonus action attack.

Crunch: whatever gets you the most AC
Fluff: it's your character, kind of your job to figure that out

It would probably be silvered steel like when fighters silver their sword