EDH/Commander General

BACK FROM THE DEAD EDITION

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>FURRIES BE HERE also tg edh circlejerk
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What card describes you best as a deckbuilder and why? Not necessarily your favorite card, just the card that exemplifies your EDH life goals

Mine is pic related, I love to get huge value with low cmc spells, so wiping the board and reanimating my own stuff at the same time feels great

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hey-hapatra-nice-asp/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-investments
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/geist-of-banners-needs-help/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/presents-from-your-uncle/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-bullshit-fuck-you-wotc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Thread Question
I like to smash face

>thread question
One of my favorite EDH cards is Lurking Predators. It's very similar to Rhystic Study and the randomness leads to some very fun boards. Sometimes it's a do-nothing card but in 4 or more player games it can be incredible and when you've got some way to tutor or put creatures on top of your deck it's extremely fun.

I've made plays like Worldly Tutoring for Mystic Snake in response to the trigger and those are my favorite part of magic. Other times it is just a Timmy card that gives you free fatties.

Comments, suggestions, etc. on my Hapatra deck? Going to play it for the first time tonight.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hey-hapatra-nice-asp/

Could use a dash of spice.

So much value for 1 mana, and nobody ever wastes removal on it. Goes in every blue deck I have.

So it seems like itd between Shu Yun and Jeleva. Problem is one of the people in my playgroup already runs a derpy Jeleva deck. Should I still build her?

Hey guys what are some good ways to win with Zur?

I'd like to make my Zur not a hard combo deck, but have them in there just in case. Is Voltron good? Should I look at stax maybe?

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Voltron seems doable. Steel of the Godhead and Edge of the Divinity alone can make him threatening. Toss in something like Champion's Helm and you'll be good to go.

Glad I could help.

If you don't want to just combo off, then I think a combo of lockdown and Voltron works. Get a bunch of enchants to hinder your opponents...prison effects, propaganda effects, Karmic Justice...

Then load up Zur with what mentions, and Ethereal Armor.

Oh yes, and Imprisoned in the Moon is amazing in Zur, especially on Commanders. My buddy played it on an opponent and the used Copy Enchantment to play it on me.

i've just about finished with adding white to my reanimator, i'm just looking for those last spicy meatballs to include in my Esper reanimator, so please share if you got em. i'm especially looking for ways to do spot removal at good value, and i'm hoping to cut stuff like archon of justice to make room for that

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-investments

the goal of the deck is to make value plays and maybe win

oloro is only in the command zone ironically. i don't think i'll ever actually bother getting him as a card, i'll just use him to tick my life up during my upkeep to trigger my friends who think wotc designed commanders are cool

>What card describes you best as a deckbuilder and why?
guided passage
cards in hand is value. period.

What are the best ways to deal with removal in your experience? Flickerform is great, but only if you keep 4 mana open which is less than desirable.

Post dakka art

I have a problem with deckbuilding I only can build either t1 decks or like 50% decks every time I try to build something in the middle it either comes out super shitty or just way too good.
I mostly play in the turn 4 combo metas playing stax and midrange decks or really bad build around me commanders for casual play
I just cant seem to get a good 75% list going that isnt just a net deck, never been a fan of net decking.
something like this list
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/geist-of-banners-needs-help/
is just plain garbage
something like this has good cards in it put runs out of steam immediately
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/presents-from-your-uncle/
Im not really sure what I'm missing

So I started building Shattergang Brothers (which is fucking sweet) and I picked up one of pic related last night. I didn't have a win-con yet, and this is perfect. Gimme some combo ideas, the jankier the better.

> thread question
Xenagod exemplifies everything I love about EDH. Like a giant gauche baby with a shotgun

reposting from last thread

Ok guys, what should I build for my next deck?
>Oloro Lifegain
>Derevi Stax
>Jeleva Spellslinger
>Shu Yun Beatdown

I need help deciding pls halp ;_;

>;_;

Build a noose and hang yourself.

pull out 6 shadowborn apostles
tutor for pic related

Elvish Piper-effects tribal with Survival of the Fittest to ensure you are cheating big creatures into play.

>pls halp ;_;

>thread question
every deck I have made so far has had black involved and this little guy has been an auto-include for me ever since it was printed

>Gimme some combo ideas, the jankier the better.

well you're in GB and you have red's looters, so you're basically already on your way to cancer town with potential sac & recur shenanigans

Woodland Bellower to access any retarded good 3-mana creature (Somberwald Sage, Eternal Witness, Fierce Empath)

Birthing Pod and Eldritch Evolution to further cancer up your shit

etc

i could go on so just look at my sultai deck prototype and copypaste all the green/black cards into your deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-bullshit-fuck-you-wotc/

add red's looters and some red goodstuffs like shivan harvest and sire of insanity, win with value

>suggesting cards that cost more than $1 in /edhg/

$20 budget including shipping is a meme for a reason.

Shu Yun, but all of the choices you gave are cancer desu senpai

Well, you're running Zur, so you've got access to blue. Counterspells.

Zur can also fetch out Gift of Immortality, which can be more annoying to deal with than at first glance.

Grey Merchant + Wound Reflection is pain.

shu yun is the least cancer of your potential choices

oloro is honestly boring as fuck, i'd rather build something different for lifegain, even if it's weaker. kambal or brion come to mind

jeleva is also just kaalia but spells, people are going to hate you out and it's not a very nuanced deck, just typical wotc edh pandering crap

discover the fun in deckbuilding a more flavorful and obscure commander thats my advice

Sanguine Bond is brutal too with 4+ players

Oh yeah, Gaea's Cradle will be good in that deck because it has a lot of creatures and Candelabra of Tawnos can let you double dip on the Cradle.

>What are the best ways to deal with removal
not being overly reliant on permanents
I know I know this is edh but getting value without being super susceptible to removal is something that makes a lot of decks function much better

I put this dude in every black deck I make

>
>Grey Merchant + rite of rep is pain.
ftfy

>people will unironically use this card

btw its tutor for 5 to hand
B: cycle

>Veeky Forums gets this autismo
wew lad
Thanks might just build an only spells shu yun deck
my favorite part of edh and its appeal to me is the group dynamic/politics of it. if i wanted to sperg about my deckbuilding I would play standard

Ethersworn adjudicator is better than is looks.

You also need a Debtor's Knell

Good choice user. I do as well

>"ritual" in the name but it doesn't make mana
>"tutor" not in the name but it is a tutor
Cocksuckers at wotc ignoring tradition really frustrates me. Having continuity and identifiable trends in the cards can give the game an extra je ne sais quoi instead of being a generic "fantasy game".

For the first ~15 years of the game they actually put in the effort to be consistent and have little winks to the fans with this kind of thing.

It's better than diabolic tutor, and people run that.

Even at 5 mana though it doesn't seem awful for BBM (but probably just that deck)

I would definitely choose flashback over cycling though. Unless the deck is built to benefit from cycling/discarding.

I'm still mad that chucklefuck got a fight scene while Griz died like a bitch.

That card is surprisingly good for budget builds. Sure it's 13 mana, but its also three cards.

Combo enabler that is

>playing blue

I managed to score the naya and jund commander decks in those plastic things some stores sell. What are some upgrades I can make so these aren't immediate shit?

Do you people who run him include him in 2-color decks, what about 3-colors? I was thinking of putting him in my Alesha deck, but I figured most of the time the only devotion to black I'd have would be gay merchant himself.

For tokens with multiple arts, do you have a collection of a single specific version? Do you try to keep your tokens the same or just use whatever? Do you even bother to use official tokens or just use dice or whatever is at hand?

he's probably still decent value in alesha since you can build black focus with your permanents (grave pact, phyrexian arena, etc)

he's good in dual-color almost always, and godlike in monoblack

I use dice and upside down cards.

Guess I'll include him and try to throw in a few more black permanents.

nah don't bother building around him, just include him if your permanents are at least 40% black, and don't if they're not

there are other ways to gain & drain life in mardu besides gray merchant too

i really want to build this but fuck me shadowborns are 3-4$ each (CAD)

>It's better than diabolic tutor
no its not

>shadowborns are 3-4$ each (CAD)
really?

yeah even online sites list them for around 3$-4$ each

They're 2.50 USD retail

so yeah around the same price CAD like I was explaining

You can get them for $2 each if you specifically look for bulk listings.

Doubling Season :^)

Is this board wipes the set?

you couldn't tell by the slew of boardwipe invocations?

What are some good colorless lands to add to my Emrakul, the Promised End deck? Anything better than a Waste would be acceptable, though I do plan on having at least one or two Wastes in the deck just for the odd basic land shenanigans my opponents could play.

this card fits me well. Its a br staple for me but its also super secret tech that never once was a dead draw.

you look at it once, and thinks its really good.
look at it a second time, and think its really bad.
THEN you look at it a third time, you realize this can be devistating and can turn bad trades into good ones. add that with wither creatures and the new scorpion god, and you are looking at getting some draws on top of it.

quick question though, if a creature with the ability died and got reanimated in the same turn, would it still have the triggered ability?

I like it.

To be fair he died like a bitch too.

Just gotta cater to the vore fetishists.

GET FUCKED AVACYN

most of the colorless lands from BFZ/oath
city of traitors
ancient tomb

>5 damage to an 8/8

Okay.

I use whatever token I have available, but I tend to try to pick ones that I prefer. Like if I am gonna have a clue I would rather have the feather one instead of the stupid avacyn stained glass one. I am working on my first painted token for my personal use, so in the future I am going to attempt to paint all my own.

Wrong Avacyn, dude.
The Boros one.

>green is allowed to manipulate the deck before revealing something
>red is not

Oh...

Then why would it matter that creatures lose Indestructible?

>no, not the Avacyn that's actually played in EDH

because you can't flash her in to dodge the board wipe?

tbqh, the best Avacyn is also somewhat fucked because you killed her friends and can doomblade her as a followup

It still fucking nukes their field retards.

eldrazi tribal lands
eugene lands

It's a bad version of Pelakka Wurm

Ancient Tomb
Arcane Lighthouse
Blasted Landscape
Blinkmoth Well
Buried Ruin
Cavern of Souls
City of Traitors
Command Beacon
Crystal Vein
Darksteel Citadel
Deserted Temple
Drownyard Temple
Dust Bowl
Eldrazi Temple
Geier Reach Sanitarium
Ghost Quarter
Grasping Dunes
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Haunted Fengraf
High Market
Homeward Path
Inventor's Fair
Mage-Ring Network
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mirrorpool
Mishra's Workshop
Nephalia Academy
Petrified Field
Phyrexia's Core
Quicksand
Radiant Fountain
Reliquary Tower
Rishadan Port
Rogue's Path
Ruins of Oran-Rief
Sanctum of Ugin
Sea Gate Wreckage
Sequestered Stash
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Spawning Bed
Springjack Pasture
Strip Mine
Sunscorched Desert
Tectonic Edge
Temple of the False God
Terrain Generator
Thespian's Stage
Throne of the High City
Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
Tower of the Magistrate
Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper
Wasteland
Winding Canyon
Zoetic Cavern

Eh, debatable. You are likely to get less life, but the top deck manipulation is good. In limited I would rather gain 3 less life and make sure I am ripping gas off the top.

And to be fair, both cards are only limited playable, so this is probably better

Just you wait.

Well since I play Avacyn, Angel of Hope, I guess we'll just see how big of a dent this makes in the grand scheme.

I do run answers to people trying to get around indestructible, though, plus five damage only kills about 2/3 creatures in my deck, and I have more than one anthem effect.

I've got something for your avacyn. :^)

Arcane Lighthouse
Buried Ruin
Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
Crystal Vein
Drownyard Temple
High Market
Inventor's Fair
Mirrorpool
Mishra's Factory
Mishra's Workshop
Phyrexia's Core
Rogue Passage
Sanctum of Ugin
Sea Gate Wreckage
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods (good card)
Thespian's Stage
Winding Canyons
Zoetic Cavern (can be used to ramp, great utility)

I'll also add the new colorless utility land that exiles your creatures from HOU to my deck when I get one. Choosing from the tons of utility lands is one of the funnest parts of playing colorless.

Whoops! Just missed her.

(^;

;^)

Gotcha

*plays 3 of these in response*
heh

>Crucible of the Spirit Dragon

That's the wrong "of the Spirit Dragon" land.
Tomb is the one that could actually come in handy.

This card could be sweet with silver bullet effects because if you need to hate on one player, you could target a different one and make a deal

Pay that cost now, smart guy.

Got me there, friendo. Though, it's a curious and specific way to deal with a specific commander.

nothin' personal

Remind people that even the unassuming commander can situationally be more dangerous than what’s displayed on its surface.

enough

Caught you red handed! Now come quietly and it'll make this easier for everyone.

No

You're right that Crucible is bad but I think Haven is actually the best one. Sanctum of Ugin is also well worth including in a colorless deck.

Nope, the game sees it as a new creature on the battlefield, independent from anything that happened prior.

This is in the context of an Emrakul deck.
Maybe Steel Hellkite and Ugin are MVP enough you feel like keeping Haven around to get them back, but that's about all it's doing.

>tfw this will never be a proper vehicle