/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Rad edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/QU2djTV
strawpoll.com/47xc65g
quarinvasion.com/
brigademodels.co.uk/Blog/2017/06/bring-on-the-guards/
libgen.io/ads.php?md5=CCF3915E01AE0576244C61B8B8F04E24
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What you building, what you playing?

Building Easterlings. Playing Mordor.

Does anyone play the Quar series?

>another evil player

I already have a fully finished minas tirith and rohan force. i wanted something different in gold.

Wargames General is a discord server that, while primarily focused on GW games, does have many people who also play other games, like kings of War and Flames.

You're welcome to come visit.

discord.gg/QU2djTV

Waiting for my Shapeways, Brigade and Ravenstar orders.

Writing fluff and stats. How did I do?

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I FORGOT TO PUT THE POINTS VALUES FOR THE HECATE, ACHELOIS AND CHRYSANTHEMUM IN THEIR DATASHEETS

EVERY FUCKING TIME I THINK I'VE FINISHED SOMETHING LIKE THIS I FIND A MISTAKE

Historicals, mostly...I should start painting minis for the original Warhammer Quest tho, but I can't bear myself doing it.

strawpoll.com/47xc65g
I'm just curious.

>Quar
What is?

Seems to be WW1 with the worms from Worms

quarinvasion.com/

what have you bought recently?

Snagged about 750 points of Ghar suits during the warlord sprue sale

While I still have a backlog of some suits and outcasts

Send help please

They're more like adorable anteater people.

I know someone a few threads back was looking for non-hovercraft 6mm tanks.

Brigade just announced these:

brigademodels.co.uk/Blog/2017/06/bring-on-the-guards/

Space BMPs and Space T-80s

Cheers.

Still waiting on my Mominiaturas and Alkemy orders to come through. Hoping they're here in time for me to run a demo game next Tuesday.
Also got some Black Tree Designs fantasy spearmen (also for Alkemy) as they've got a 50% off sale on a lot of stuff .

Paints.
To paint my new Antares stuff.

That may have been me, and that's a nice expansion to their existing range. I just wish they'd do it for the non-Russian factions.

Anyone got the One Page Warstuff rules? IIRC it was the toy soldier set, from before they took everything down and rebranded stuff - they seem to have ditched it in the transition.

I'm working on an early draft for a 40k rewrite that uses alternating activations/interrupts rather than Igougo move-shoot-assault phases.

-Each army gets a variable amount of Command Points (CP) per turn.
-A unit gets a max of 2 actions per turn, chosen from:
--Move
--Attack (includes a 3" move). Assault Weapons can be used in melee if not used previously, so Breachers have a purpose, and Ork Warbikers get their old Psycho-Dakka-Blasta shtick back. You can split attacks between 2 melee weapons, use one melee weapon and one pistol, or two pistols.
--Defend ("Only lose a wound for every 2 failed saves, round up"). Defend replaces Smoke, Jink, Go to Ground, etc. and is a general catchall for protective measures. Only "Move" can be carried out twice.
--Some characters get noncombat actions they can take in lieu of attacking.
-Activating a unit lets it take up to 2 actions.
-Immediately after an activated unit declares an action but before executing it, the opponent may declare a unit will attempt to Interrupt. This lets the unit take one action.
-You cannot activate or interrupt with a unit that has taken any actions, unless you spend CP (see below).
-Command Points may be spent to:
--Bring a unit in from reserve.
--Interrupt with a unit that has already taken one action.
--Activate a unit that has already taken one action.
--Activate a second unit after activating one unit. You may not activate a third subsequent unit before handing the Initiative to your foe.

The system would have a few oddities/tweaks to represent old-school rules, hypothetical examples including:
-Dark Angels do not need to spend a CP to interrupt with a unit that moved, if that unit is attempting to shoot a charging foe.
-Dark Eldar have 6 - (Turn Number) CP per turn. They need to get in, accomplish their objective, then get out!
-Berzerkers can take two Attack Actions, if they're both with melee weapons.

Lemee know your thoughts.

Alkemy stuff came through!

I was a little worried about what I'd heard about the model quality but these seem to be a nice resin. The detail's good, very little sign of flash or molding lines. My main issue is with the staff and axe, which are way too bendy. The tails surprisingly aren't too bendy, and neither are most of the other weapons.

The Ghulam's got a nice bulk and size behind him.
Oh, and the models don't seem to have too much evidence of release agent, which is nice. It smells like garage kit resin stuff, which is normally a pain in the butt for release agent I find.

Are dropfleet commander ships too large for full thrust?

What I wasn't expecting was that the starter comes with sculpted bases. which is nice. They're not something I've ever bothered with before.

It'll be interesting comparing the Alkemy and Mominiaturas stuff when that comes through.

hi /awg/, what do you think of infinity? More specifically, once you start understanding the game, does it get much worse like some games do? (i know it isn't awg, but i don't trust the opinion of the genral made of peoplewho like it and i definitely don't trust the opinion of "common" Veeky Forums)

They would be fine to use but they're about 3x bigger than the official ones.

Speaking of FT, I got a parcel!

are you going to remake all codices or will you try and use the official ones? because obviously the latter won't work and the first is a lot of work. I don't knwo anything about how the game will work, but defend is definitely OP. If you are giving units 2 AP, why make the attack let them move too? Does it apply to close combat only? Because you didn't specify that nor include a shoot action.
Good luck

Have you played it? It seems a nice and cute game than I never will be able to play.

How's the quality of the casts?

Very good. Detailing is well defined and no casting errors that I've found so far.
One thing though, is that the inside leg of the Oracle is a solid flat surface, which is a little disappointing. Other than that no complaints.

Rogue Stars:
>libgen.io/ads.php?md5=CCF3915E01AE0576244C61B8B8F04E24

Broken Legions:
>libgen.io/ads.php?md5=CCF3915E01AE0576244C61B8B8F04E24

>same rather suspicious links
Not today, Mr. Hackerman.

literally one of the best known pages for ebooks user.

Your loss

Since these were both uploaded here, nah.

They were? I missed them then. Actually i was asking for Broken Legions a couple of times and never got any reply so i was just happy to find it on my own and thought to share it.

They look good.
Not so convinced by some of the blades (they look a bit 'soft') but in general really nice models, the Ghulam in particular.

I think it was Alkemy that had a pretty nice Chinese-y line I was interested in.

I picked up a few models from Ramshackle Games.
Mostly some Dungers (think Squigs, but look like tiger/woolly mammoths) but also a few other doods.
No idea about what to expect in terms of quality, since they seem to be pretty small, but I like the look of a lot of their stuff, so I'll probably go back and pick up other stuff if it comes through nice.
Also the dude that runs it is responsive and seems like a decent guy, which helps.

Defend may need tweaking ("only versus shooting" maybe), but the idea is to use it as a "catchall" for all the assorted "defend" tricks that 40k has done, from g2g to smoke to jink. I wanted it to just be "cut failed saves in half", rather than how 7e had Ravenwing with 2+ reroll jink or so. Dunno about you, but for objective play, it makes more sense to attack and clear an enemy from an objective than huddle and hope you don't die.

The "attack" move is one part pile-in, one part "repositioning for range", especially since this can be used as part of an Interrupt/for ambushing things.

I had a few thoughts for move and attack actions too:
-If your unit is in melee, your opponent gets a free round of melee with all b2b models. ("Free strikes"). You cannot move within 1" of an enemy unless you end your move within 1" of them, in which case models in b2b may make a free round of melee attacks.
-You may make a 3" step prior to an attack. If in melee, this is like 8e Pile in. Otherwise, it's unrestricted.

Yes, you could theoretically roll hot with charge attacks, and get a second "free move". This is intentional. Between the "interrupt" mechanics, and limited activations, this system is trying to make the game more dynamic yet tactical as a whole, bluffing your foe by retaining CP, etc.

At this point you could just fire up Tomorrow's War, m8.

Models washed and assembled!

How do you mean by 'soft'? Some of them are quite flexible. I guess that's the difficulty with resin over metal, is that resin's more likely to bend and snap, as opposed to just bending out of shape.

Yeah, Alkemy has Jade Triad who are pretty cool

>How do you mean by 'soft'?
Just stuff like the Oracle's sword - looks like it does not have a shard edge.

They look excellent put together though.
Cool that they give you bases with them too.

I've played it once, and it was extremely good.

Possibly my only caveat would be use one of the fanmade houserule sets like Project Continuum, they bring together all the playtest rules GZG never finalised, add a shitload more stuff and do things like try to unfuck the incredibly dodgy salvo missile (mostly by increasing the number of guns that can shoot it down).

If you play FT and you use a fleet with salvo missiles, make sure your opponent has bothered to take point defence or Advanced Screens because otherwise if you're remotely good at guessing ranges with a 12" margin of error you'll erase all their battleships from 24" away.

To explain:

In Full Thrust if you fire missiles you do it in the movement phase. You pick a point within range (24" normally, 36" if you pay an extra hardpoint per ammo) and if, after all moves are done, there's an enemy within 6" it gets hit.

It gets hit d6 times per missile token in range, with each hit doing d6 damage. It gets to shoot point defence which in Project Continuum removes one missile from one salvo per 4+, or two on a 6 with the dice exploding. Unfortunately the defender assigns point defence before rolling, so if I shoot 2 missile salvos at a ship with 2 PD my opponent has to decide how to split it - 1 on each or 2 on 1.

As each salvo if unblocked can do 1-36 damage ignoring basic shields, and most things smaller than a battleship probably don't have 36 health, you can see that these weapons can be horrendous.

It's a characterful rule, and I like the way it works in theory, but my god it can fucking annihilate things if left unchecked and if your opponent didn't buy any defences.

>What I wasn't expecting was that the starter comes with sculpted bases
It didn't when Kraken still made and sold them.
The bases are a recent thing and the starters all still use old boxart and promomaterial. Except that one new faction of course.

Two new factions- Naashti (snakemen) & Utopia (pirates).
Were the subfactions really a thing in Kraken's time do you know?

It's the opposite actually. The core rules are complicated, but after that it is easy because everything is standardized.

Nope.
It was just Khaliman, Jade Triad, Templars and Aurlock Nation.
Stuff like the Khaliman alchemist was a tournament miniatures and there are - I think - two miniatures that haven't resurfaced since the fans took over.
One was a monkey like fantasy creature that was part of a scenario that was also given away at tournaments and the other one was a Knight Errant for the Templars.

Subfactions were not a thing. The new guys in charge have added a bunch of minis to the original Kraken range too, so that may be why they introduced subfactions.

I always liked the game, but never had anybody to play with. So when Kraken went under I panic bought all available minis for Khaliman and Templars and what I could get for the Aurlock nation.
Have never played a game though. There was no mention of subfactions in the original rulebook though.

The pdf version is bigger than 8mb otherwise I'd post it.

The current state of Dust minis - are the mechs available at a decent price? Got a pretty well paying job and I'm thinking I might drop a few hundred on WWWII minis

Yeah, I've got the original rulebook pdf, the new guys still have it up for free on their website. Seems like the best place to get the fluff still. Which is nice, as the fluff seems pretty interesting.

Neat, same factions as me- the Mominiaturas stuff I'm going to be proxying as templars. I like the official models, but with no retailers and quite expensive P&P across the Channel, it was definitely a cheaper way to go.

There's a new hero Knights Errant they've released relatively recently (November last year), might be what you were thinking of? The guy who got two Beathacrann grafts?

I hear you about the prices. When I bought it, most of the stuff was on clearance, because it looked like the game would just die with the company.

>There's a new hero Knights Errant they've released relatively recently (November last year), might be what you were thinking of? The guy who got two Beathacrann grafts?
Yeah I think that is him.
It's been a while since I've seen the mini but that sounds like him. Suupermutated and extra holy.

Stop clowning around and bump the thread bump

What's /awg/ opinions on Brink of battle system and his fanstasy expention? I looking for a cool low fantasy skirmish game to use with perry miniatures. 4 to 12 miniature per side. I tried with Song of blade and heroes wich is fun but tend to feel tacticaly limited.

Does anybody play Rogue Stars?
I got the impression it was really hyped up before it came out, but then kind of vanished into obscurity.

There's a facebook group made by it's author, there's a supplement coming out. I guess that the problem is largely that it's of the interest of older gamers who don't have as much time on their hands as they'd like. I'd like to get a few games in, but finding time to paint up a force is a pain in the ass.

Haven't heard of it so far.

The guy making these (not related to that "Heroquest 25th" pile of lies) decided to end sales, after some random idiot started posting them all over Facebook trade groups with mock box artwork, and GW and MB logos. How fucking daft.

it's too crunchy for my tastes, but competently designed.

Man, that is a huge bummer.

>when you brainwashed your fans so much they'll protect your long dead IP for you

Well, I am liking these Brigade spacebotes a lot, they're very cool.

And blue and orange is a patrician colour scheme.

What a faggot, I wouldn't have minded buying the barbarian.

Building Bolt Action USMC

Playing Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant

That's kinda hard to answer. I do find the starter box games are really fun, but limited, and once you've played them a few times you start to figure out the best strategies. While discovering things though, they're great.

The "full" game of Infinity is a bit bewildering with so many rules and options, but I don't find myself getting flat out annoyed with it and usually it feels fair. Also, across the factions, you generally have access to most of the mechanics and gimmicks, so if you want to try something new you usually don't need to do up a whole new faction which I like.

I have played two games and had a lot of fun with it with 5 models a piece Space cops Vs Bandits/ pirates. The system is interesting and a take on song of swords but sci fi.

Currently playing
Kings Of War- 5 armies; Basilia, Dwarves, Twilight Kin, Orcs and Night stalkers.
Bolt Action- Soviets, French
En Guarde!
The Men Who Would Be Kings

Wow spaming misiles seems deadly then, why bother with other weapons?
Cute boat mate.

Never actually expected my pic to be used in the OP. Cool.

More stuff for This is Not a Test. Picked up some of the Dreamforge Games mechanical mules to use as objectives. The legs are a pain to put together, especially if you want them to look like they are walking.

Stowage is a mix of what you get with them and some left over Bolt Action stuff and a few AKs from the Zombie Survivor sprue. Technically you need four for the caravan mission so the fourth one will probabley be some kind of handler/operator since you get a little control computer on the sprue.

Also a friend of mine came up with a name for them: C.A.T.T.L.E. Which stands for Central American Trade and Transport Land Engine.

>Wow spaming misiles seems deadly then, why bother with other weapons?

They're good, doubly good if your opponent doesn't have a counter, but have very limited ammo and cost a shitton of points.

Plus there are, as of the fanmade collated rulebooks, a LOT of counters.

And a cunning opponent can just facetank your missiles on cheap screening ships, as they hit the closest target to the target point.

[I'm my own master now intensifies]

Oh I see. How are the figthers? In my experience in games, they tend to be nearly useless or too op.

Have any painted marines yet? I'd love to see them.

I've not used fighters yet. They're expensive (minimum 9 hardpoints and 45pts a wing) and unless you spend even more on better payloads than guns they're no more powerful than equivalent points in actual gun turrets, albeit more mobile and able to work as PDS.

Plus launching/recovering isn't as easy as in some games, I think your carrier has to disable engines on a turn it does it (unless you pay even more points).

Don't know if these had been posted, but Mantic Games released pictures of their character models for their Summer Campaign.

Here's Artakl.

Eckter the fish man

Jarvis the nice Necromancer.

Magnilde the demon hunter.

And finally Mau’Ti-Bu-Su the demon.

These are pretty good. Especially the Lizardman. The troops really don't look bad either, when painted properly. The store picture just kind of make them look a bit soft.
Had a picture of them somewhere with a better paintjob...

When I saw this guy on facebook I thought from the thumbnail that his shoulderpad was his face. Would have been cooler if it was more of a morlock thing I think.

I only just realized after reading the name you posted that this is supposed to be a female.

And her name sounds like a joke, but I don't think I get it.
Mitsubishi?

He's going to get torn apart in my games. SAY HELLO TO MY ARMY OF NIGHT STALKERS!

Hey, if anybody here is interested in getting the limited edition bounty hunter mini from Gates of Antares that came out with the dice game, warlord is selling him in celebration of their Antares tournament.
This weekend only, so only today left.

There was a point at which things needed to stop.
We've come past that point.

Wtf is that thing? How can it even walk?

>How can it even walk?
It must have extremely strong glutes.

But yeah, cutting somebody's feet off and then attaching flails to both his arms AND putting out his eyes should make it extremely hard to walk or do anything really.

I was surprised they made that for LotR too.
Kind of looks more like a Warmahordes thing I think.

Or a Fantasy orc thing.

Maybe an AoS Orruk thing.

If only their pricing was closer to their older pricing than GW's current pricing...

God that thing looks ugly.

And not even in a cool metal way, it just looks bad

Want to put together an army for Kings of War, it's actually active in my area.

Having a hard time picking an army. I'm really digging the Elves though since I like ornate armor.

Don't underestimate the fun combinations you can make with a Dwarven army. Also Berserker Brock Riders are great if you need speed in your army and don't want to cast a surge spell to do it.

Around elves watch yourselves; join a Dwarven elf haters club today.

This one is pretty cool, I want the next lizzies to look more like this than beefy salamanders desu. The tail is cute too.

I kind of thought Ghost Archipelago had a sooner release than September.

nah mate, theres some cool stuff with it though.

building Easterlings, stripping a lot of random ebay LOTR, playing gladhirim

>I want the next lizzies to look more like this than beefy salamanders desu

What are you, gay?

I want to play wargames but i can't find anyone free
All the independant gaming clubs in my area fell apart.
All my friends stopped playing or just want to play card games
i can't even get a game of 40K what's going on?

There was a reason they cut that scene from 300 this is it

where do you live?

Since both games use base as measuring point, I've been using UCM ships vs my Z4 not-homeworld fleet without any issues, mixing with my spartan models as well.

Does anyone have the rules for Gates of Antares? There's like, zero scans that I can find.

Also, anyone played the Last Saga?