Arachnids in 40k

So, basically the entire Bug race from the Starship Troopers franchise ends up in the 40k galaxy. How much damage can they do?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Megarachnid
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Megarachnid

>inb4 thread inevitably devolves into whether or not the earth government in ST was fascist

Not sure why that would be a debate, I mean wasn't it obvious?

Are we talking Starship Troopers the movie, Starship Troopers the novel or Starship Troopers the board game?

Because the movie versions are basically a way-weaker 'nid splinter race. They do have the ability to body-jack in later movies, but overall they are a very watered down threat on the 40k scale - especially with a lack of significant fleet abilities.

Not the same. Those didn't have the outright bullshit that Starship Troopers Bugs possess in abundance. Hell, we don't even know if Behemecoatyl was the only one of it's kind or not.

The Bugs seem to be significantly worse at fighting than the Tyranids so probably not much damage.

It's everything from the entire franchise, including all of the stuff added in Roughneck Chronicles.

>Counting stuff not from the books or the first movie as canon

It turned into B-movie schlock and literal anime. C'mon man.

It's either that, or instant stomp in 40k's favor. Also, Roughneck Chronicles does not reach the levels of caricature that happens with other animated adaptations of specific works. It could be worse, MUCH worse.

Now we're looking at a bit of a solid threat.

I can't see them being much more of a risk beyond one or two sectors though. Their method of colonization wouldn't be as successful in a setting with such a heavy reliance on space travel and planetary defense platforms.

How deadly do you think the lasers connected to the Warriors from the book would be to Ceramite?

arachnids hunt and consume insects.
They could be the galaxy's natural defense against the tyranids.

Clever.

First movie was shlock too

The first movie was schlock intentionally. That's was kind of Verhoeven's MO.

>How deadly do you think the lasers connected to the Warriors from the book would be to Ceramite?

Wait, what?

Are you talking about the weapons the Skinnies use?

I'll admit I haven't read the novel in a little while, but I don't recall the warriors using any weaponry.

I think the Tau fought something similar to them, but I forget their name...arachen or something like that. It's part of their 'golden diplomat' lore from back ages ago, being the one race that refused him, and thus got their shit pushed to the outer edges of the galazy and their homeworlds cleansed and colonized.

Probably wouldn't. But that doesn't stop them from tossing Infiltrators and the like until they can subvert those sectors from within, and if that doesn't work they always have raw numbers.

At the very end of the book Juan talks about them because he warns his commanding officers that not all the bug attacks are actual attacks. Most are just them swaming out with workers who have no weapons. But there were warriors mixed in that had high energy beams that could kill them.

I'm not sure about their offensive capability but defensively they wouldn't be able to do shit. If rifle bullets can kill them in a few shots then bolt weapons could kill them in just a shot.

I remember the scene you're describing, but I don't remember the reference to beam weaponry.

For the sake of simplicity, let's just equate them to lasguns, and the armour suits the infantry use to Space Marine power armour.

Considering that there are Megaarachnids which are practically the same thing, and a two Heresy-Era Space Marine chapters were able to destroy a whole planet of them with relative ease when they were allowed to just strike the planet. Plus, the Tyranids are like the bugs but worse, so I think they'd be handled like most other "minor-xenos" races that the Imperium rolled over in the past.

The book versions are weird bugs that have laser guns and tech but almost no one uses them (and to be fair I have no idea where they sit on the power scale)

Basic arachnids do fuck all, theyre a less numerous, slower, weaker and less mutations/ biomorphs version of tyranids. If a crippled hive ship invaded a planet, that's probably the max damage arachnids could achieve beforebeing contained

> Book
Unintentionally Facist undertones

> Film
Oh god yes, but it's satire from a halocaust survivor

I sort of want a redrawn with an Ultramarine saying "Well I'm from Macragge and I say kill'em all!"