Mtg - STANDARD GENERAL

Horrific Art Edition

>Playin?
>Brewing for HoD?
>Fav spoiler? and why?

This set has some great new prints that make for a cool cardpool and then there's trash I'll be letting my gerbil tear up.

(What went wrong with this picture, and can we please get a new flavor text writer? This one belongs behind the barn.)

>Playin
R/B aggro

>Brewin
Evolution

>Spoiler
claim//fame because i don't have to build anything for it

>Playin
R/G pummeler
>Brewing for His?
Nada, ready to get raped by that white card that prevents me from getting counters
>Fav spoiler? And why?
Wildfire eternal. Looks sweet af, afflict is nice, and the effect isn't too bad either. Only gripe is that it's 4 mana

>"Bolas remade this place in his image. He has the advantage here. We made a huge mistake."

Full spoilers today, right?

This set looks awful, btw.

Could a WG fog deck with a lot of lifelink cats and lifegain cards with Felidar Sovereign as a finisher be viable ?

Everything about it is awful. The characters, the flavor, the story and the cards themselves. The fact that Nicol Bolas is blowing all of it up at the same time is some kind of cathartic irony.

Someone is never happy...
Set isn't terribly strong but will be a fun limited, with some cards being used in edh and modern. I classify that as a good set

I think the worst part about Amonkhet is there's nothing original about it. Almost every mechanic is borrowed from another except for Embalm/Eternalize. At first I thought it was intentional, and their plan was the axe the plane, that way people wouldn't sad that they'd never see "X interesting mechanic" again.

Clearly thats not the case. I imagine somewhere down the road when they announce a return set, there is going to be a huge collective groan from the community.

Didn't they announce return to Dominaria ?

Yes, and we'll probably be there for some time to set up the MTG mmo

Woohoo

>Playing
Bant Emerge. It feels okay, but it seems to really struggle to reclaim the board if the opponent had a fast start. I think it's honestly a weak deck due to it's poor options for dealing with agro, but I do have a lot of fun with lashweed lurk'n my opponents out of the game.

>Brewing
Coloress Matters. The new pain-land-deserts make it seem a lot more viable then it was already. Not sure the colors for it yet, I might do Abzan.

I like this a lot

RIP scorpion god.

It seems very strong in the RU instant/sorcery deck. Being able to scry is very practical and the fact it's only sometimes a creature means it gets to dodge the strong pacifism effects in W and U right now. Too bad it dies to the 3 mana bolt.

Too powerful, disrupts tempo meta
should cost UU and be uncommon at least

My favorite spoiler is far and way the God-Pharaoh himself, but if I had to pick a distinct #2, it has to be Frilled Sandwalla. Strictly worse Basking Rootwalla or not, I can't help but love the adorable little guy.

I'm liking my croc boy

It's pretty amazing to see decent Crocodiles printed in this world.

I don't play Standard, but if I did, I would give Selesnya Cats a shot. Sacred Cat, Adorned Pouncer, Feral Prowler, Pride Sovereign, Regal Caracal... I feel like there's some decent untapped potential.

like em both

sadly still no playable ramp in sight q.q

UR tempo/cycling with enigma drake?

Beneath the Sands IS pretty shitty, even with Cycling tacked on.

is this the new standard for terrible flavor text?

Well looks like RDW is not gonna happen maybe next set boys... oh wait

Please. Razaketh had the market corned a week ago.

I mean Im okay with playing RG but its just not the same.

at least Razzy's text makes sense

RG has always thrived on the backs of cards like Llanowar Elves and Rampant Growth. Without them, it's just not nearly as playable as it could be. Until such a time when we get those back, we're gonna need to rely on fragile strats like Pummeler to sate our Gruul bellies.

But this is a goddamn demon we're talking about here. One of the most badass creature types to exist. And his flavor text amounts to story recap that most people who give a shit would already know. It's such a wasted opportunity for a snarky line or something that would, I don't know, actually lend some flavor.

>Yell for help. Flee the answer.
>Don't yell for help,you won't like the answer.
>You're lost, you're afraid, but for your own sake, don't yell for help.
>Don't yell.
>If you yell, you will scream.
>Horrors lie in loneliness.
>Death has a good hearing.

The first one is the GOAT.

all these are options and they went with the cryptic (in a bad way) "yell for help and that may answer)

Fuck off frogposter.

>Playin?
Temur ramp

>Brewing for HoD?
Finally trying to make Nest of Scarabs work. I think with Ammit Eternal and the Scorpion God it might have a chance.

>Fav spoiler? and why?
This guy for sure, besides the implications with Hapatra and NoS I think he is incredibly powerful. Once rotation happens this guy will be a standard all star.

>Playin?
Temurnurgy cause I want to win

>Brewing for HoD?
Grixis control cause I want to cast nicol bolas

>Fav spoiler? and why?
mana leak impulse split card

I just realized with hapatra, the new 3-cmc spider that does -1/-1 counters, and ammit eternal, this may actually be a not-shitty deck.

This is probably going to be the favorite art from this set for me. I might get it on a play mat.

so does grixis mean bolas is pretty much rakdos but with reason?

No, he wants perfection (U) for him and him only (B) REALLY fucking badly (R)
He's more UB with a splash of R ASAIK

*AFAIK

I'm on the fence about the spider. I know he is really good but I don't know if he has a spot. Probably going to test with and without it to see.

So this is the list I have been brewing before I saw the spider.

Jund Nest of Scarabs

Creatures:
3x Soul Scar Mage
4x Channeler Initiate
3x Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
4x Ammit Eternal
3x Archfiend of Ifnir
2x Scorpion God

Enchantments:
4x Nest of Scarabs

Instants/Sorceries:
4x Magma Spray
2x Cut to Ribbons
2x Splendid Agony
1x Disinter's Deliverance
2x Sweltering Suns

Planeswalkers:
2x Chandra torch of defiance

Cycle lands for the Archfiend just not sure on numbers yet. Thoughts?

I think RGB is definitely an option, but I went harder on the GB and splashed W for Grind // Dust. It's an insane card in this deck but I still debating if it's good enough for the splash. I also ended up putting in a bit of energy for a couple more mana dorks and smoother mana, also to give access to sideboard siphoner for midrange matchups.

I tried to do cycling, but I feel like it's too forced. Archfiend is great, but you need to have so many cyclers to get him to go off consistently.

Maindeck
// 25 Creature
3 Obelisk Spider
4 Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
4 Ammit Eternal
4 Festering Mummy
4 Channeler Initiate
4 Decimator Beetle
2 Servant of the Conduit
// 4 Enchantment
4 Nest of Scarabs
// 2 Instant
2 Fatal Push
// 23 Land
5 Swamp
5 Forest
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Aether Hub
1 Plains
// 6 Sorcery
2 Grind // Dust
4 Attune with Aether

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Creature
SB: 2 Baleful Ammit
SB: 2 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
// 7 Instant
SB: 2 Hapatra's Mark
SB: 2 Scarab Feast
SB: 2 Dissenter's Deliverance
SB: 1 Fatal Push
// 2 Planeswalker
SB: 2 Liliana, Death's Majesty
// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Driven // Despair

I really like your red build, I'm just not sure if the mana base supports it. It definitely could, it just requires testing.

I'm coming back to magic and I've been looking through some budget decks and now that the full spoiler list is out this is what I have, it's basically cycling drakes but without green for more consistency. Is it decent enough to work at FNM during the two month wait for Ixalan?

2x Baral, Chief of Compliance
4x Curator of Mysteries
4x Enigma Drake
4x The Hollow One

4x Unsummon
4x Magma Spray
4x Censor
4x Hieroglyphic Illumination
4x Countervailing Winds

2xDrake Haven

11xIsland
5xMountain
4xSpirebluff Canal
4xWandering Fumarole

Still not sure about the sideboard but I think Abrade, Sweltering Suns, Refuse//Cooperate, Negate, Kari Zhev's Expertise, and a few others would work fine.

Yeah grind to dust seems very powerful! Have you tested at all to see how it works? I'm really liking the look of it all.

I mainly went red for the Scorpion God and eventually landed on the soul scar mages and burn package. On second look tho it might just be really cute. Could drop him and play with the spider and re evaluate my removal package. Cut to Ribbons is in there mainly because it's a pet card of mine right now.

I'm looking for something to play in standard. I wanted to build a R/W exert deck, but since Always Watching is rotating out soon; I don't want to take the chance.
Any suggestions on what to build? I'm more of a casual player.

Alright you fucking niggers. Listen here. This is how it's gonna go.
I need help. My deck's shit and I'm shit.

4x Wayward Servant
3x Binding Mummy
3x Anointer Priest
4x Sacred Cat
4x Doomed Dissenter
4x Dread Wanderer
3x Lord of the Accursed
4x Plague Belcher
1x Bontu the Glorified
1x Oketra the True

2x Oketra's Monument

4x Anointed Procession

3x Start to Finish
3x In Oketra's Name
3x Time to Reflect
3x Supernatural Stamina

11x Plains
11x Swamp
2x Forsaken Sanctuary (only have 2)
3x Cradle of the Accursed

The general theme is zombie token spam and utilizing the spawning of the tokens but I'm brain damaged and can't figure out what to drop from this to make it more efficient. This is the first deck I've built in 6 years and I'm trying to keep it all Amonkhet so nothing rotates out in the future. Thank you in advance.

FINALLY....I dont want to live in a world where fucking UNSUMMON is too strong for Type2.

Maybe I'm just uncreative, but I'm ready to check out of standard for now. My deck is rotating in 3 months (R/B Zombies), the only deck I marginally like to replace it is G/B energy, but that costs around 200 dollars and at least 7 other people at my LGS are building it or are already playing it.

Because just destroying it for that much mana is OP.

Grim Flayer and Liliana are rotating to, so just build GB energy without those.

cut the monuments. if you get both one's a dead draw and your creatures are cheap enough that the cost reduction isn't that valuable

Build naya aggro. There's a lot of cheap mana and money creatures that fit into it, even big end game cards like Glorybringer and Samut, Voice of Dissent are dirt cheap now.

Samut is trash and overloading on five drops isn't a good idea for aggro.

I've been looking at building some kind of Naya deck for a while now, and while I think it might be possible with Hour, at the moment you'd just be building GR energy and splashing in some white. Jund is better at the moment for Scrapheap and removal options.

Also, going three colors in an aggro deck is a really bad idea unless the mana base is insane.

Oh so they don't stack? Good to know. Do the Processions stack?

Why is Cockatrice filled with dumb hues, ragequitters and paranoids?

Of course they don't stack they're legendary, I'm a fucking moron. But I do intend on using the token spawning from it.

Not overloading, but just options as a curvetopper. There's also the Majestic Myriarch. Right now the deck wouldn't do so good, but Ixalan leaks have shown a lot of Naya stuff and return of checklands.

They stack, not sure what that user is talking about.
Procession will stack, yes.

I'd recommend ditching the Supernatural Stamina and Time to Reflects for less condition removal, IE Fatal Push and Cast Out. Perhaps Blessed Alliance as well.
Not sure about Start to Finish. Maybe drop down one In Oketra's Name.
Though I did just notice you don't have shambling vents or concealed courtyard, which probably means you're on a budget? So, yeah, I can see why there aren't any pushes.
Though really, pick up some shambly vents, they're pretty cheap and pack a lot of utility for WB.
Otherwise just play test your deck a lot and start fine tuning the numbers.

>Legendary Artifact
>Legendary

isn't there some sort of rules clause about legendary permanents?

I didn't know it was legendary until after I posted, revealing the post above mine.

G/B Energy =/= G/B Delirium.

Burn

4x Soul-Scar Mage
4x Firebrand Archer
4x Thermo-Alchemist
2x Hazoret, the Fervent
2x Bedlam Reveler
4x Shock
4x Incendiary Flow
4x Fiery Temper
4x Collective Defiance
4x Tormenting Voice
1x Lightning Axe
4x Ramunap Ruins
2x Desert of the Fervent
17x Mountain

I'm feeling burn this standard season. Mono Red burn is finally feasible thanks to Firebrand Archdr and utility lands. There is still the argument for UR or BR for Fevered Visions/better creatures or for Collective Brutality/Alms of the Vein. Until we can see the metagame it is unclear which is correct. As such the great utility lands lead me to mono red.

Any suggestions? Money is no object; even if this looks like a budget deck, I just want to play burnand this was the initial build i thought of.

You have enough creatures to make Bedlam risky, and you probably have too many lands.
In all honesty I'd drop Tormenting Voice, Bedlam, Collective Defiance, and a couple lands for something a little more creature oriented with stuff like cartouche of haste and that other R enchantment that I can't think of right now.

I've been out of Standard for awhile.

Is Transgress mainboard? Or is everything pretty low and fast these days?

Complete bullshit snap judgment call:

I think the cycling deck is going to be real

(not New Perspectives)

>too many lands, so cut Tormenting Voice

Tormenting Voice (and the various utility lands) are what let me run so many lands.

Also I don't want to play RDW; I want to play Burn.

>Playing?
New Perspectives

>Brewing?
Scorpion God Mardu or Jund control (current draft below)

>Fav spoiler?
Not sure, either Solemnity for its neatness or Claim to Fame because fuck yes reanimating.

Here's my current Scorpion God list. Figured I might as well post what I have here instead of making a second post:

Scorpion God Control

Creatures (16):
2x The Scorpion God
4x Banewhip Punisher
3x Vile Manifestation
4x Soul-Scar Mage
3x Archfiend of Ifnir

Spells (20):
2x Fatal Push
2x Torment of Venom
4x Claim // Fame
2x Grind // Dust
4x Magma Spray
3x Cast Out
3x Unliscenced Disintegration

Lands (24):
4x Desert of the Glorified
4x Desert of the Fervent
4x Canyon Slough
2x Plains
5x Swamp
5x Mountain

Very first draft that still needs a shitload of refining. Potentially might play it Jund instead, but Grind to Dust is just way too fucking sexy to not use.

Vile Manifestation + Claim to Fame is a pretty sick combo.

I'm building my first deck. Is a monowhite vehicle build with a mix of pilots and Fabricate creatures a decent idea, or should I keep searching? The rough idea is that by using Fabricate to create Servo tokens, I can effectively crew larger vehicles with less creatures than normal, while taking advantage of the Pilots' special rules.

Oh it's still shit but it will be fun shit.

I really really like this art.

>Playin?
nothing because I gave up on building a standard deck back with Kaladesh.
>Brewing for HoD?
Might try and finish making the RG Energy deck I started back then
>Fav spoiler? and why?
Probably this honestly. I like cantrips.

I've got a couple deck lists we're playing with to get ready.

First is cats no-ajani cause fuck a sixdrop.

a buddy loves omnath and evolution. Ignore the jacked sideboard.

I won't play standard if I can't counter things.

and a pretty stock r/b aggro build

Hey. Thanks again. I dropped the Start to Finish and Cradles and managed to go 2-2 in a free entry 4 rounder. I'll definitely look into some Alliances and Courtyards. Had a lot of fun with it.

Cards that indicate a bad player:
>Baraal
>Nest of scarabs
>Non-white monuments
>Samut

>Playin?
nothing, but i did play a simic tin man deck before the emmy ban
>Brewing for HoD?
desert jank
>Fav spoiler? and why?
crucible reprint for sheer value, followed by pic and mirage mirror

What's wrong with Baraal?

Crash Through honestly seems really good. It's pretty solid as a 1 or 2 of in an agro deck. I could see it doing fine in midrange lists for draft too, if they lacked proper evasion.

It's a reprint.

I don't know about you but I think Hazoret and the disillusioned survivors taking to the desert will actually make for a pretty good Return To set, should they continue with the grimdark atmosphere of it all

I agree. I think it will be interesting to see a plane that has it's culture very heavily based in R due to only having R god left over, but still having strong ties and honor toward gods of the other colors.
Maybe the RU and UB god will stop being evil after the hours are over and help Hazoret raise the people?
I think at the very least we will see the Legendary Creatures like the Sphynix and Horse having some cultural influences when we finally come back to Amonkhet.

>almost my entire deck is rotating soon
>didn't like kaladesh block, don't like amonkhet block even though it has bolas
maybe i'll just play modern until dominaria

UR control against an unknown opponent on the draw. Keep or Mull?

Keep

Here's the current build of Bant Emerge I'm playing online, any thoughts or obvious changes? I took out the Tamiyo's to try out longtusk cub instead, and I think I'm liking how it works

Mull. Censor is pretty meh on the draw, Sweltering Suns is blank a sizable amount of the time, and Torrential is too far in the future. Sure, Censor/Suns cycle, but I'm not at all convinced that having two blanks that replace themselves is good enough with no other action going on.

Keep. Unlike 's opinion, I see both of those cards having cycling so while not always great, they're redraws.

If you see the gearhulk as a "pre-mull" I'd still keep the six without it. Not getting screwed is great.

Keep. The meta has a lot of real and consistant turn 3 threats for censor to hit and at worst it cycles. Sweltering answers a lot of decks well, and can easily clear your opponents turn 1-3 plays and sometimes even 4.
This hand is only really bad against New Perspectives, which isn't common.

What's better for Cycling Drake, 4x Sweltering Sun, 4x Countervailing Winds, or a split between both?

I say 1 suns and 3 winds

Youll just end up killing your own drakes with suns and you can take care of tokens easier with winds, but keep 1 copy of suns just in case of emergency

if you want to use fabricate go WB, drop the vehicles and get westvale abbey

if you want to use vehicles don't use fabricate, get lupine prototypes and things like that

enjoy while you can, rotation is probably going to fuck you up no matter which of those you choose

Help with my deck list?
UR Drake haven

4 censor
4 hieroglyphic illumination
3 negate

4 shock
4 fiery temper
3 lightning axe
4 tormenting voice
3 cathartic reunion

3 enigma drake
3 cryptic serpent
4 drake haven

21 lands

So far GB decks are pretty easy, most aggro decks are manageable and UR control is a nightmare.
Maybe I lose lighting axe for sweltering Suns and change fiery temper to countervailing winds. I like the look of the Sphinx enchantment delver but it seems like you need to build around and is a bit of a nonbo with cycle

Just got back into standard, trying a thing with clues and revolt; I gotta work in some removal/answers, but I like what its doing at the moment (playing a lot of low cost creatures, putting +1s on them, and keeping cards in my hand)
2 Rhonas the Indomitable
6 Plains
8 Forest
4 Bygone Bishop
4 Narnam Renegade
4 Greenwheel Liberator
4 Greenbelt Rampager
4 Implement of Ferocity
4 Solemn Recruit
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Silkweaver Elite
4 Renegade Rallier
4 Canopy Vista
4 Evolving Wilds
SB: 3 Heroic Intervention
SB: 3 Gideon's Intervention
SB: 3 Prowling Serpopard
SB: 3 Repel the Abominable
SB: 3 Clip Wings

>Playing?
Temur Energy
>Brewing?
IDK lol but not temur energy, I expect the deck to get wrecked by zombies and Mardu starting to mainboard solemnity
>favorite HOU Spoiler?
Hard to say. None of them really jump out at me. Open fire just makes me wretch, abrade is fine but can't hit players for what seems like no reason. Supreme will might be okay?