Pet peeves

>I cast this card!
>What does it do?
>You should know what it does user, I don't have to tell you what it does
>No you can't look at it user

Anyone else deal with this shit or is it just me?

Also pet peeves thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7g-ydhg10UE
youtube.com/watch?v=D_DkVoHG3z8
youtube.com/watch?v=49fbaM1I720
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Either call a judge or, if it's a casual game, slap them in the mouth. I mean, shit, Magic has thousands of cards. Ain't no one gonna remember all that shit.

Images for ants are a pet peeve of mine.

Also
>implying that happens
>not just saying you didn't see the name
>not calling a judge if it's pro

Judges are there for these douche tools. That being said, you should have a decent idea what most cards in your format do.

But yeah, if it's casual, slap that bitch or find another player. A rando at a store can be replaced by another rando, and your friends shouldn't pull this shit.

*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK*FLICK

I'll take things that never happened for 300 Alex

>No you can't look at it
That's literally against the rules. It's not a pet peeve, it's blatant cheating.

Happens all the time.

You're telling me that a player playing a card, refusing to tell you what it does or let you look at it, is something that actually happens?

I've played MTG since the very beginning, played in numerous tournaments and an uncountable number of casual games, and I played a few other card games like L5R and Android:Netrunner. Never once did this occur.

Even if it did occur, it would be literal cheating by the rules of any card game I've mentioned.

>"I play X"
>"Ok, as a result Y's ability triggers"
>"Oh, never mind then"

I always let people take it back for situations like this. Revealing the card to me is already enough of a punishment. It's no fun to me to win when someone loses just because they forgot something.

Calm down bro he's just trolling you

Okay, provided you're not lying to us, this is an artifact behavior from the early days of tabletop gaming where the prevailing mentality was that you could keep secrets from other players because telling them wound count as meta-knowledge.

Earlier editions of 40k are a good example:
>What's in that transport?
>You wouldn't know that!

In casual play, it's not a big deal. Unless they keep doing that shit. I'd probably just quit at that point.

I usually just tell my friend that he needs to pay more attention, since he would like to go pro eventually. Tournament play isn't forgiving.

Mixing mana dorks in with their lands.

DONT DO THAT SHIT

Dryad Arbor is fine

I have a friend who always gets increasingly salty whenever I use a removal spell and asks "how I did it"
*Taps 2 mana*
*Plays Doom Blade*
"I kill your creature"
"How"
"ITS FUCKING DOOMBLADE"

Kek.

That doesn't bother me unless it's in response to me casing a trick or counterspell.

This.

>Opponent casts Planar Cleansing
>I activate Soul of New Phyrexia's ability and remove it from my graveyard to make my permanents indestructible
>"Oh, well that's kinda pointless. Nevermind"
>mfw

Taping 45 degrees.
Taping 90 degrees counter-clockwise (acceptable to denote "tapped in torpor")

>GM always targets your weaknesses
>The moment you get something to paliate one of those weaknesses, even before it took effect, suddenly all enemies stop abusing that and go to abuse another instead

No, tzneech, different chaos god.

I deal with it a lot in 40k. People that get incensed when I ask to see a unit I haven't seen before. No, I'm not calling you a cheat -- I just want to see the rules. It's a new fucking edition.

>DM never lets you play to your strength.
>The instant your specific *thing* arises, the GM skips it and hurries along to the next bit where you are useless again.

True Story:
>Gonna play Eberron
>Play Ranger, pick favored enemy (constructs)
>All enemies are warforged.
>"no, these are "living constructs", your favored enemy status doesn't work.
>Magically animated ballistae shooting at us.
"Well, animated objects are constructs so..."
>"Oh, are they? They stop firing. Out of ammo."

I had a DnD game once. My first one -- I played a necromancer. We were travelling along a coastline, any my dude spent the whole time making a massive undead golem out of hermit crabs, since the DM wouldn't give me anything else to work with.

To be fair, in campaigns where you track ammo and rations and such, it's perfectly reasonable for the ballistae to run out of ammo. But, yeah, still a dick move.

On my end...
>GM tells me that it's a Sandboxy Stars Without Numbers game, and we get to start with owning a ship with a fairly sizable cargo hold.
>Ask if we can use the Suns of Gold rules for mercantile stuff. Gets' told we will be.
>decide to make a merchant, that's good at buying and selling cargo so we can make money on the go.
>GM never gives me the chance to actually do what my character was intended to do. Straight up tells me off when I specifically go looking for cargo to move outside of jobs he gives us, calling me a metagaming faggot.
>Keeping calm, call him on his bullshit, as he was the one who approved the character concept in the first place.
>MRW GM tells me that just because he said I could do those things doesn't mean he was going to give me the chance to do them in the first place.

There are no $300 questions anymore. They doubled the dollar amounts for all questions in all rounds, like, over a decade ago you fucking normie

>watches Jeopardy!
>calls other normies

Might as well watch MTV

I can't think of any beyond shitty behavior. I mean, there are specific examples, but they're too specific to really be an overarching pet peeve. Maybe people not reading the book, expecting to be spoonfed rules, or pulling the GM card when it's clear they just don't know how something works.

The GM gets final say, but when final say is directly opposing the rules or sense, it makes all the rules feel kinda arbitrary.

>doesn't know the dollar amounts for Jeopardy! clues
>probably doesn't play J6
>probably never takes the online quizzes to get on the show
>probably doesn't shout answers at the TV
>probably doesn't criticize contestants' Daily Double wagers
>doesn't think he's a normie

Not once in my life have I seen or heard of this before now.

This, why would anyone do that? If someone did that to me I would call judge for oracle text, judge would just ask why cant I just read the card, I would say because the opponent is being a bitch ass nigga and the judge would tell him to stop being a faggot.

Source of original picture?

youtube.com/watch?v=7g-ydhg10UE

I could have left and called him a cunt

The image that alfabusa made it from

*would of

>*would of
Try again.

I did more than leave. Pic related.

Wood have*

Literality the behaviour of a Yu-Gi-Oh villain.

Wait you took over?

How did that go?

Fun fact: living constructs are still constructs.

to this day I don't understand the point of it, it's not even annoying, it's just stupid and makes whoever does it look like they have adhd.

As a person with adhd, I can honestly say I've never flicked my cards. I hate that shit.

like mana weaving and putting your lands in front of your creatures, it's dumb bullshit somebody saw a card shark doing and think it makes them look cool.

Apparently, the rest of the group didn't really like he was doing things, so pretty easily.

It was basically "you done fucked up, I'm GMing from now on. Either shape up, or you don't play with us anymore." He left like the beta he was.

>"I blow up your creature"

>"how?"

>"with this card"

>*I read the card*

>"you can't do that my creature isn't attacking"

>"really?"

>"yes, it says on the card"

This happened a lot more back when I was one of the two people in my play group that actually knew the rules, but this is entirely hypothetical.

HOWEVER something did happen like a month ago that grinded my gears

>playing against much younger player that has old cards because his dad played the game

>cast some creature and pass

>kid says "ok on my turn I kill your creature and you take five"

>I look at his mama and he only has one mountain tapped

>"wow that's pretty strong, can I check this card out?"

>card is pic related

>I laugh, because I heard stories about people reading this card wrong and thinking that because the opponent doesn't have blazing salvo they take five"

>I say "oh it's you kill my creature unless I take 5"

>"no it isn't. It says on the card that you don't have blazing salvo so you have to take five"

>we start arguing about this card

>eventually everyone playing is coming up and watching us argue

>finally I explain it to them that makes sense to them

>he kills my creature because I don't want to take five, and then I win that game because his deck is poorly made

A week passes

>same kid, same deck, same card (not against me though)

>so I kill your creature and then you take five

>I get really ticked off but because I wasn't against him I just shake my head furiously and keep playing my opponent

there's a guy at my LGS that's literally a Yugioh character. He claimes that Stormbreat dragon (pronounced "Stowmbweath Dwagon" I shit you not) is his avatar, and whenever he plays Glory-Bound initiate he screams, "GO GO GLORY RANGERRRRRRR".

To be fair glory bringer is a pretty good card and that sounds pretty catchy

But then again I don't have to be around this person on a regular basis

Obviously, you must act like a Yugioh villain when playing against him. Constant EEEEVIL puns based on your deck of choice, insulting his cards for no apparent reason, dramatic WHAT!?s and HOW CAN THIS BE!?s at combat tricks and removal etc, the whole nine yards.

This, Yu-Gi-Oh's a dumb game so have some dumb fun.

I do this whenever I play Archenemy.

Honestly the best way to play any card game is to play it like a Yu-Gi-Oh villain. It's a far more enjoyable experience than the dull silence and occasional ability activations you get in some games.

>places card face down as 2/2 Morph
>at the end of the game doesn't show you it was actually card with Morph

That's fucking nothing
>Ask GM about the game
>"Your usual medieval fantasy setting"
>Well, I think I'm going to pick Scout as the team lacks skills, perception, track and outdoorly stuff. I'll spend feats in archery and precision damage
>"Thinking on the team, nice"
>Game turns out to be Ravenloft meets Eberron as literally every enemy is either Undead, Construct, Elemental or Ooze
>Literally useless in combat, Never be able to do more than 0-1 damage to these fuckers
>Game happens always in dungeons
>Traps everywhere that are well above our level
Left that game at the 5th session when it was more than clear the GM wasn't going to throw me a bone at all

I would like to know in what deranged mind 'Ravenloft meets Eberron' is 'your usual medieval fantasy setting'

Jesus that actually works? Remind me that the next time I'm playing Birchlore Rangers.

How do you even find these GMs ?

Only if you're at a major tournament, and that's to make sure that the thing you put down did indeed have morph (and you didn't say, put a land face down or something 'by accident')
If it's a casual game or even FNM you'll be rightfully called an ass for trying to get a win that way.

It's extra funny because I wanted to play a Warforged, but GM told me no because they wouldn't fit in the game he had thought. When I discovered the world had tons of constructs and warforgeds (all with the feat that makes them immune to precision damage) I let go a loud "Are you kidding me?!"

I swear to god it looked like he hated me, but I didn't meet the guy much, he was the friend of a friend, a he invited me, why go on such length and then shit on me for 5 days?. Can't fucking understand this shit.

Then there's the fact that the rest of the players didn't see that odd at all.

Don't forget to gloat about your unstoppable combos and big creatures.

>he was the friend of a friend
I know this feel. Why are friends so good at picking dickbags as their other friends?

>Used to play an old CCG called Middle-Earth The Wizards.
>Originally got it because I liked Tolkien, but the game is really quite good on its own merits, although it's very complicated for a CCG.
>Stopped mostly because it's almost impossible to find other players these days.
>But back in the day, there was a small scene with this.
>I was considered the biggest fish in the admittedly small pond of the LGS.
>New guy comes along
>Shows interest in the game
>Try to show him the ropes
>Picks it up reasonably quick, says that he's going to go buy a bunch of cards
>I'm sure I'll be the best player soon because [some trivia I don't exactly recall the details of, but apparently a skilled MTG player]
>All right, whatever kid.
>Few weeks later, shows up, challenges me to a 2 deck match.
>He does okay for about 3 turns, because his resources strategy was heavy on dwarves and prowess, and my hazard strategy was centered around orcs, so I needed to set up a real death gig to avoid just giving him points.
>Set up the real death gig.
>Of his party of Thorin, Balin, Gloin, Gimli, Nori, and Ori, Thorin is the only one alive, and he's wounded and loses one of the magic items they had picked up.
>Pushes his cards to the table.
>Starts going around the store talking about how I only won because of "dumb luck".
>Offer to play him again, maybe try one of my other setups instead of the speed deck I like to use.
>No, I don't want to play such a luck based game anymore.

And I mean, I called him a kid, but he looked like 16-17ish. That anyone could be that degree of a sore loser irritates me a little, especially over a friendly match.

happened to me with casuals, except it was just a guy who refused to say what he was doing and you had to read his cards to know what he played. Real cunt, played him once and never invited him back.

This is why mtg will always be better than yugioh.

In magic, when you play a creature, you can just say "white and two for a two/two vigilance, creatures I control get vigilance"

and EVERYONE who's played a game of magic knows EXACTLY what that card does.

In yugioh, unless you've dealt extensively with the card being played, you have to sit there and read it.

Fuck yugioh.

Weird. One of my best friends is a guy I met in college and he basically tutored me in MTG by whooping my ass on a near daily basis. A game like the one you described sounds like an opportunity for learning, not a time to be a sore loser.

A personal pet peeve of mine would probably be card flicking, too. What I hate the most is when the top few players in a draft or sealed talk about how all they pulled was shit. Like, it is a fucking limited format. What did you expect?

The worst part is that every single yu-gi-oh player I've seen in a tournament felt the need to play and talk as fast as physically possible.

Like, I can get not wanting to dawdle, but they'll just slam down cards while half-heartedly murmuring a fraction of the name and expect everyone to know what's going on.

Weird. I have the opposite pet peeve. I don't care for casuals explaining cards I already know, which, in Modern, is most of them (or anything relevant, anyway).

Instead I constantly shuffle my hand around

They're shuffling the cards in their hand. Otherwise, you might be able to tell which card in their hand is the one they just drew, and/or know that the card that just played was something they topdecked. This is potentially useful information.

STILL DOESN'T JUSTIFY DOING IT LOUDLY YOU ANNOYING FUCKING TOOL. But good luck politely asking a gamer to be nice or not be annoying.

And yet every other player in the anime always explains what the simple and well-known Pot of Greed does.

Help, I don't know what card flicking is.

>murmuring a fraction of the name
Welcome to gaming. Everything has a shortened jargon nickname, half of all relevant terms are further obscured by a level of slang or memes.

It's not a Smuggler's Copter. It's a Looter Scooter. Or just a Scooter. I had a guy referring to it as a fucking Scouter and then a Scour. I'm sure it would have degraded further were it not for the ban.

Most Yugioh players know what most of the meta relevant cards do by memory and remember what most other cards do after reading them once.

I don't think I've heard of that one.
What does it do?

Fucking google it

Here's a rather tame example

youtube.com/watch?v=D_DkVoHG3z8

Here's a kind of impressively fast example. Usually it's a lot louder.

youtube.com/watch?v=49fbaM1I720

i live in a rural conservative community and play at a weekly meetup at the park. So i get to drop this on the table and go "No, you will let me read the card."

>Hey guys, remember the past four sessions with that overarching plot that you are all invested into?
>Plot twist! Everything you did was pointless and you were running around in circles!
>Also the plot was a false flag.
>What a twist, amirite?!?

As a person with adhd, the temptation never goes away.

I just play with tokens (Android).

holy shit am i glad i don't have to play with inbreds that pull guns over card games

Repetitive small task/movements with your fingers helps with your memory and anxiety. Though the most prominent card flicker in mtg is probably the one who least needed it.

it's bait you mong

I set my hand face down on the table to keep myself from messing with it too much.

Correct answer.

I used to be like that kid. I figured it wasn't that OP because hey, anyone could just own one copy of blazing salve and be immune, no big deal, a bit scummy but hey it is a CCG, and I only had the one copy and my decks were notoriously shit anyway

To be fair, that card is badly worded. I'd word it as follows: Pick a target creature. That creatures controller chooses between the creature taking 3 damage or the controller taking 5 damage.

>casual game at lgs
>put hand down on the table and put my hands in my lap while I wait because opponents turn always takes forever for annoying wombo combo
>HANDS ABOVE THE TABLE HANDS ABOVE THE TABLE HANDS ABOVE THE TABLE HANDS ABOVE THE TABLE TABLE HABDS TAGRJFN

>No you can't look at it user
I'm pretty sure denial of boardstate knowledge is against the rules.

>GM
>Running a game where players spend XP on individual abilities/stats rather than leveling up
>Try to build fights that are challenging but winnable
>Most in-depth strategy the players ever come up with is prioritizing which bad guy to kill first
>They get their asses kicked most of the time
>They all start complaining about how it isn't fun
>"I keep getting terrible rolls!"
>"You're making the enemies too hard!"
>"This game isn't balanced!"
>Take a closer look at their sheets
>All of their combat abilities are way behind for their level
>Half of them haven't spent their XP in months
>The other half spend it on random shit that catches their eye
>Not fluff skills, mind you, literally just putting points in random things that they suddenly decided they had to have that week

Then you should reply with "never mind on my card too, then," and keep your counter forever.

People who constantly try and take back their misplays. You don't get better or learn by taking things back. You accept your mistakes and then you get better because it cost you the game and then you will never forget it or make that mistake again.

This is honestly a serious issue in a lot of games, where the most sought after abilities are the ones that render whole ranges of challenges moot. If you're throwing obstacle courses at a flying party, all you're really doing at that point is jacking them off.

Well, he apparently let you freeform how necromancy works, so you can't complain too much.

Someone's a filthy fucking right handed prick.

Eh, I allow ONE backtrack per game so long as it's because you missed or misread something on the battlefield and not you purposedly trying to bait counterspells or something.
Then again I only play casual in multiplayer, in 1v1 competitive you pay for it it's cast and if you couldn't have casted it you get a warning wether you're just aloof or actively trying to cheat.

Actually, you retard, him leaving was the alpha thing to do. Staying and getting cucked out of GM is an absolutely beta male thing.