Why are some people so autistic about playing pretend?

>ask a friend to run a campaign over the summer
>he's really happy about it, starts planning immediately
>game is in a couple weeks
>he walks in one evening carrying a fuckhuge detailed, coloured map
>"This is the game world, user isn't it neat?"
>tell him it looks like shit jokingly
>he walks off to his room, suddenly all depressed and shit
>get a text message that the campaign is off

Why can't some people take jokes about tabletop stuff? I told him within seconds it looks great, but he's still pissed about it.

It sounds like your friend has confidence and anxiety issues. While it's something they need to learn to cope with, you also might think about being a little more sensitive with them in future. They clearly put in a lot of effort, and if you have that kind of anxiety it can be very hard to convince yourself someone isn't just saying nice things to make you feel better after that kind of initial response.

>suggest a weekend away with the gf, just the two of us
>she's really happy to have some romantic time to rekindle the relationship and starts planning for it
>it's the week running up to the weekend
>she shows me the hotel room she's booked and chats about everything she's got planned
>laugh and comment that it sounds like it's going to be fucking awful
>she storms out of the room
>get a text message saying that it's called off

Jesus Christ, why are women so autistic?

There is an autist in that equation all right, but it ain't you friend you fucking tone deaf mongoloid.

Why is it so fucking hard to unwrap yourself from those hundreds upon hundreds of irony you've buried yourself under to not kill yourself from how depressing your life is, and give a genuine compliment to your friend who has spent time and effort to give your group a good experience?

Did you really have to make that joke? It's the opposite of what someone who spent a lot of effort into something wants to hear. Your friend sounds quite sensitive and he did overreact, but that's just more reason to avoid doing what you did.
I'm not trying to say you're an asshole, just that this could have easily been avoided if you simply took your friend's sensitivity into account and gave him the compliment he was eager to hear. Instead of being a dick, even if ironically. What do you gain from doing that?

Probably because either:
1) You have an history of being an asshole about things OP
2) You did the "Act like and ass. lol jk!" part thinking you were a youtube prank channel and had an appropriated response.

I can believe that your "friend" is a drama queen, but if this person is really your friend you should know them enough to know how to treat him or ask another person to DM, or, fuck it, you DM.

You realized most people here aren't going to understand that example right? People here are too autistic to understand basic human interaction and/or empathy.

>You realized most people here aren't going to understand that example right? People here are too autistic to understand basic human interaction and/or empathy.
Every response so far has called out OP for the imbecile he is though. We might be a bit autistic, but we're not emotionless robots.

In either case op's friend is still a bitch.

It's either A: he can't take a joke, or B: op screwed up the delivery but after explaining it to him that it was a joke he still can't get over it.

Doesn't sound like a good person to gm so I guess op dodged a bullet.

Mostly because most people here can understand how fucking annoying is to work a campaign for ungrateful asshole.
On the couple example they will go "fuck this emotional over exaggeration, it was just an innocent comment"

I'm hoping that this story is as fake as everything else on Veeky Forums

Everything in Veeky Forums is pretend, especially the greentext.
We are pretending to have a discussion about this too

Yep, as others said you're the one failing to understand the other person's feelings/viewpoint here.

Telling someone that something they've put a lot of hard work into (for OP's benefit, let's not forgot) is shit isn't really a joke, it's just being a dick. Also, try spending less time on the internet, remarkably enough real people do get upset about things, it doesn't automatically mean they're "a bitch".

Most guys talk shit with each other it's pretty normal. If this was some random guy he met for the first time then his reaction would make sense but op said they were friends. It's fine to be sensitive but if you are then don't expect to get along with most other guys in a social setting.

You're a cunt.

Well I'm still not convinced this entire board is fake and I'm just talking to bots

He was oversensitive if he was still moping even after you told him that it looked great. You probably dodged a bullet all things considered, as he would have crumpled under any other criticism during the course of the campaign.

This is Veeky Forums now people. Whiny sniffling touchy feely faggots. Maybe instead of forcing OP to change his behaviour the little bitch friend could learn basic social coping skills.

>Why can't some people take jokes about tabletop stuff?

He probably can take a joke, you just sound like a bit of a cunt.

But that isn't something you don't already know, judging by the thread.

Well sure if that is an established sense of humor. I'll talk shit with friends when we are doing some vidya or what not but not once have I ever told someone "it looks like shit, jk lol" regarding something they put effort into. That behavior, at least from what I observe, is something passive-aggressive women do to tell other women they think it's shit but then try and play it off as a joke so they aren't the bad guy for saying it.

Veeky Forums has always had rational people on it that actually deal with real humans outside of their basement. Not everything here was /b/ circa 2007.

I don't understand why "muh your fees fees" types are the first to get angry when someone reacts in a negative way to their attitude.
In practice it's like a "I can talk shit about people but people can't talk shit about me because I talk shit about them" and a "I can be shit to people and they don't even the right to fuck off or to not want to talk to me".
Maybe his friend don't want to GM for this kind of people and it's his right?

It's pretty much a case of "don't call me out on being a shit person, grow a thicker skin"

People want to do whatever they want on impulse and never deal with any consequences. SJW, neetsoc, doesn't matter just as long as you don't get upset at the behavior THEY aprove of.

>Telling someone that something they've put a lot of hard work into (for OP's benefit, let's not forgot) is shit isn't really a joke, it's just being a dick.

It's called "being friends"
If you can't take the piss out of your own friends, then you're not really friends.

What an imagination you have fellow user.

I am most assuredly not a robot as I clearly ticked the "I'm not a robot" check box.

Protip, OP clearly isn't a good friend.

Bro, I'm legit Autistic, and even I know that delivery and audience are key factors in a joke.

I also know how to take a joke. And how to say "That hurts me feelings, bud." If I really dislike the joke, which is rarely.

So I mean...consider that a legit Autist is pointing out how shit you are at this 'having friends' thing.

If you can't tell a man "that's shit, you're shit" to his face without him crying, even if you mean it in earnest and not as a joke, he is not your friend.

If you can't be bothered to not be an asshole about it, then you're kind of a cunt.

I'm honestly having a hard time believing this is even a real opinion you have, I've met kids with assburgers that have a better grip on the basics of friendship than you seem to.

see

>"It's shit" is a joke
Try having more than 5 IQ.

>the very first thing you say to a guy who's clearly invested a lot of effort into something YOU asked him to do is that it looks like shit

>bots
>not one exceptionally bored Serbian that can shitpost at light speed

>ask a friend to run a campaign over the summer
>he's really happy about it, starts planning immediately
>game is in a couple weeks
>he walks in one evening carrying a fuckhuge detailed, coloured map
>"This is the game world, user isn't it neat?"
>tell him it looks great, even though i know it might be shit
>we start going over everything he created
>some of it is shit, but some of it is really good
>we work on the shit parts together to improve it
>we have a great 3 month campaign and people still tell stories

Why can't some people swallow their own damn pride and think about how what they say affects people. I don't understand why anyone would call something their FRIEND made shit.

Another autist here.
OP is an insensitive cunt who's completely incapable of dealing with people. He's probably been taught his entire life that he's clever and funny and can therefore get away with anything.

What if the campaign is still on and he was just politely telling OP to fuck off so he could run it without him in the group?
That's probably not what happened but I'd like to pretend that it did.

I didn't think so many of me fellow Sperglords were on Veeky Forums

Lets us lift our voices and screech

We're there, I mean, how could we not?

It's not like it is wholly rare or something, maybe uncommon or so, but enough that most people know a few people with it.

>they don't even the right to fuck off or to not want to talk to me

That's not even close to what anyone said itt. If someone is overly sensitive they can leave or do whatever they want but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be noted as sensitive.

>I can talk shit about people but people can't talk shit about me because I talk shit about them

No actually you are encouraged to talk shit but calling someone mean or rude isn't talking shit it's just lame.

>something they put effort into

So that's where you draw the line? Imo that's where people should be talking shit because it encourages improvement. I'm sure some of your friends were putting effort into improving at the game but it's okay because.they will be encouraged to improve more so they can talk shit.

I get that some people easily collapse under social pressure instead of improving themselves but not everyone has to get along in the world. People are allowed to freely associate for a reason.

I actually agree with this. You're supposed to figure out what kind of person the guy is before you start with the banter/shit talk. Otherwise it's partially your fault.

>tell him it looks like shit jokingly

>friend asks me to campaign for them over the summer
>get excited as fuck, never get to do stuff like this
>get to work making sure the campaign is a great experience
>bust my ass making a large, detailed map for the setting
>show my friend
>he tells me it looks like shit

>after moping for a bit he explains to me that he was joking
>earnestly tells me it looks great
>fuck that guy

>"lol I was just kidding it's actually good"

nice backtracking. you're like the little kid who fucked with his little brother and then when he started crying your eyes got all wide and you begged with him not to tell Mom and you totally didn't mean it. why would anyone inherently believe you when it seems like you're only apologizing because it had consequences? if he hadn't moped you'd have just been a cunt for free and you wouldn't have even felt bad, but now it impacts your plans personally and you need to be right even after you apologized, showing you were never even sorry. what a cunt friend, lol.

op never said he apologized lol.

>talking shit with friends makes you a cunt
never change Veeky Forums

sorry that apologizing is a normal social thing to do here, Po's even more autistic than I previously envisioned. and shit talking someone's great deal of effort is different than bants and you know that. I don't tell my friend the deck he built looks like a termite-ridden piece of shit and I would hate to drink beer on it, because it doesn't and he spent a lot of time and effort building it. I told him it looked great, because it did. I do however make fun of smaller, more inconsequential things all the time.

>he put effort into it so it's off limits

I don't understand where this mentality comes from. As long as you make it known that you were just fucking around and you think it's great then what's the problem? A lot of friends are assholes to each other all the time but they don't take it seriously because they're friends.

you've never been discouraged when you worked hard and felt something was good only to have someone dislike it actively? if it were bad, okay, yeah, maybe there's merit to learning that it's bad. but it wasn't bad. it was just all of the shit feeling of being inadiquate and unappreciated for no reason other than "lol it was a joke". a joke is told for an audience, and the only other person there didn't find it funny and didn't even see it as a joke. what's the point of being a cunt to make yourself laugh? is there ever a scenario where the guy would go "lol it does look like shit xD"? no. it's just op being a cunt for no reason and being surprised someone could find issue with that.

It's a little of both sides here really.

On one hand, a friend can and should be able to act like a dick every now and then, but at the same time, a friend is also fully within their rights to not put up with any of that.

And really, if I put a lot of effort into something, I expect at least some praise, instead of shittalking. We have enough of that already.

>Imo that's where people should be talking shit because it encourages improvement.
this might be one of the stupidest things i have read in this board.

Particularly because it implies that talking shit is similar to constructive criticism.

If the guy actually disliked it then sure it would be discouraging but making a joke isn't what I would consider actively disliking it. Actively disliking it would involve repetition.

>the only other person there didn't find it funny and didn't even see it as a joke

This is where op screwed himself. Before you engage in shit talking you should make sure you know the other person will understand it. This is an incapability issue, nothing more.

>is there ever a scenario where the guy would go "lol it does look like shit xD"?

This happens a lot. When I bought my first car one of my friends made a joke about it looking like garbage. My response was "where's you car dumbass, oh wait you don't have one." Nobody got their feelings hurt and everyone was laughing. If someone cant handle bantz then that's fine just hang out with other people.

I'm not convinced that my entire life is fake and I'm just a nascent AI in a simulated environment designed to make me behave in a way humans would find relatable.

Obviously they failed and will be starting over any day now

Criticism does not have to be constructive to be effective although constructive criticism is usually better.

There are many organizations that use this method to successfully encourage improvement. Armies around the world, sports teams, ect. It is natural for a lot of people to rise to the challenge of adversity. It doesn't work for everyone but you can't deny that for many, it is effective.

>There are many organizations that use this method to successfully encourage improvement. Armies around the world, sports teams, ect. It is natural for a lot of people to rise to the challenge of adversity. It doesn't work for everyone but you can't deny that for many, it is effective.

That makes me wonder if OP's friend was routinely put down all their life, or has some sort of anxiety or depression.
This is because, yes, sometimes that can be effective, but depending on the person, what they've gone through and how they are chemically, it may just cause more damage.

I've...yeah, I've seen both. In the case of it causing more damage, that shit isn't pretty.

This is Veeky Forums. We're better then that.

Yeah I agree which is why op should have first made sure his friend would have been cool with it. I think op over estimated how close he was to this guy and because of that, made a misstep.

In the army and such, isn't that mostly to get them used to following orders from superiors without question?

>It is natural for a lot of people to rise to the challenge of adversity. It doesn't work for everyone but you can't deny that for many, it is effective.

The problem is that a ridiculous amount of people don't know how to use it effectively, and instead attempt to justify it through the same reasons you did when people don't respond well to it. The coaches that goad and poke their players to great success aren't just any old idiot who walked off the street. They're highly experienced, highly-trained professionals, and even they whiff when using that method of motivation sometimes. It's far easier and effective for the layman to build camaraderie and teamwork through simple positive reinforcement and repetition. Now, does that get you Seal Team Six? No. But you know what? You don't need Seal Team Six teamwork in your everyday life.

>Why is it so fucking hard to unwrap yourself from those hundreds upon hundreds of irony you've buried yourself under to not kill yourself from how depressing your life is, and give a genuine compliment to your friend who has spent time and effort to give your group a good experience?
The answer's in your question. It's because he needs those hundreds of layers of irony to live. If he came out of his shell enough to just be genuine with his buddy it would all slam right back into him the moment he was vulnerable and he'd be destroyed.

That's the purpose of basic training but basic uses shit talk taken to the nth degree. Once you complete that they use regular shit talking as motivation. For example, if someone gets out of shape and can't perform physically then they may be ridiculed.

He's a pussy, and you're not really a friend.

He probably worked hours for that map, taking tutorials and details to heart. He planned everything and what do you say? You say that it sucks at first glance. You just stomped on it for fun.

Fuck you, user. You actually think that because it was a joke that you're not in the wrong in what kind of faggot you are for saying something like that. You even post on this board just in the hope for not feeling like a massive cheesy dick.

Go be a GM and see if you like it when players shit on your game before even getting to the good parts. Fuck you and your stupid jokes.

Shut up queer, people who take pride in sticking in Veeky Forums are the worst.
You take pride by staying loyal to a pile of shit everyone just steps over.

>become an adult
>start meeting other adults
>they're not the people you grew up with
>they're sincere and open and emotional
>no need for jumping through hoops of laddish banter every conversation
>but it's a hard habit to break
>even though you want to

It's the worst with Veeky Forums hobbies because people will ask for criticism or engage in role playing or try their hardest at creative pursuits.

OP is an arsehole but it's understandable.

The only issue I see is that "it's shit lol" isn't even a clever or funny joke. Even putting .001% more effort into it and saying that the world map looked like a penis or something would have been enough of a clearly labeled joke to not make you look like some sort of cunt.

Probably doesn't help that the OP probably said it with a blank, autistic stare; you need to have an ounce of charisma and social grace, even just a joking tone would make it obvious you were kidding.

>Probably doesn't help that the OP probably said it with a blank, autistic stare; you need to have an ounce of charisma and social grace, even just a joking tone would make it obvious you were kidding.

But sometimes that's when it's the funniest. Just dead-pan as all fuck.

But, as I said earlier, gotta know your audience...