EDH/Commander General

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What is your favorite underplayed land cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saved-cards-1/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-06-17-MdZ-the-scarab-god/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just gonna post this card

BG Glissa, or Damia, or Hanna? Which one to choose?

Whichever one you have more cards for

Depends on what do you want to play and how. Hanna is god tier, but obviously very different from the other two. Glissa has more potential for recursion and can chain insanely well, but you have to rely on different cards for enchantment recursion.
Damia is just a second Necropotence and the decks are usually way different from Hanna and Glissa decks.

>point on the doll where the Feast and Famine touched you

But really it is a cool card. Shame that the foil is ~$40

Pic related is sorta popular so I guess kjeldoran outpost is my second land

I wanted something very different from Jhoira, currently considering these 3. There are some cEDH or semi competitive players around here, so I don't want to build jank. They all look powerful enough though.

It boils down to which one is the most fun and interesting to play. I'm leening towards Glissa, but not sure yet.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saved-cards-1/
check out this list I made, feel free to suggest cards

I love this for marchesa. Another friend runs it for ashling

Should I build an Archangel Avacyn deck or Aurelia, the Warleader. I want to fit a very decent amount of iconic angels in it but don't really want to commit to full tribal..

What's the spiciest tech for The Locust God?

Avacyn has flash + boardwipe potential/momentary protection built into her. My vote is for her b/c of her versatility

Good idea. I can also run things like Gorgons head and basalisk collar when she flips so I gain lots of life and destroy all their creatures. Maybe stoneforge to search it up?

putting a basilisk collar on her before she transforms (it doesn't fall off during transformation b/c she never leaves play) is also particularly spicy

stoneforge mystic, stonehewer giant, steelshaper's gift, quest for the holy relic (lol), don't forget Godo

Haha, you seem to have forgotten the Discord, OP! Did you want the thread to get shit up on purpose?

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

I wanna make a fun Golgari deck but not with Meren or Gitgud Frog, any recommendations?

Hapatra or Jarad.

>fun
Pick Gitgone or pick not Golgari

Need some help here.

My opponent casts Time Warp.

I cast Reverberate and copy it.

I want to know exactly what happens here, heres some examples of what i think that happens.

A: My opponent gets an extra turn after his current turn, then i get my extra turn and then get my normal turn. so we both take consecutive turns.

B: My extra turn resolves first and comes after this turn, then his extra turn resolves and comes after my extra turn. So basically nothing happens, no one takes consecutive turns at all.

This. Hapatra is the most fun you can have in GB. She flies under the radar until you have a dozen deathtouch snakes, and after that it's super hard for people to hit you on the ground. Also, even if her combo potential is lower than Meren or Gitgud, she can still pull out surprise wins with Persist combos or Bloatfly Infestation

Turn order is Him You Whoever Else.
Reverberate goes on the stack and resolves.
Turn order is Him You You Whoever Else.
Time Warp resolves.
Turn order is Him Him You You Whoever Else.

Hey, I asked this a few threads ago but it was near the end of its life so I'll ask again here. I want to make an Abzan control deck and I'm not sure who I should make the commander. I'm currently considering Ravos/Tymna and Ikra or Anafenza.

Any input on that would be appreciated as well as any cool stuff I could throw in.

anafenza is great for control because she hoses a ton of graveyard decks. It really limits their resources which allows you to control the board better.

Also goes well with hatebears.

Anafenza or possibly Doran.

doran to fuck with buff fags

Well, Hanna and Glissa are entirely different colours, so it obviouly affects a lot. Still, Hanna isn't particularly interesting, although I've been extremely satisfied with her. Glissa was my first deck, but it was awful, although she's more interesting. I prefer the versatility and the good value Hanna gives, not to mention the good shit that comes with the colours. I'm a absolute sucker for Standstill.
Mostly, I love enchantments, more than artifacts, so I obviously prefer recursion that can get both. Not to mention, that BG has way worse synergy with both permanent types, aside from the couple cards that allow you to draw cards when you cast enchantments.

Anafenza hoses creature graveyard recursion right out of bat. Ruins stuff like Mike+Trike, or any Saffi combo.

SPOILERS FUCKING WHEN. AT LEAST CONFIRM THE GOD DAMN TRIBES. REEEEEEEEE
Please esper spirits

Hypothetically, lets say your group wanted to have a game of commander without the traditional "commander tax" mechanic, but was willing to make a create a new rule in it's place. Which of these alternative rules would you most enjoy?

>Your commander has an additional cost of 5 life for each time it's been cast before this game.
>Your commander has an additional cost of discarding two cards for each time it's been cast before this game.
>Your commander has an additional cost of exiling the top 10 cards of your deck for each time it's been cast before this game.
>Something else entirely

Place your bets on the other 4

>GB Elves
>UR Wizards
>W Soldiers

I would love to see 5c Elementals get more love, but I don't see WOTC doing more than 1 5c/4c tribe in this.

First one rewards Lifegain decks
Second one rewards self mill decks
Last one is the "fairest" but I personally wouldn't play it.

About the only other thing I can think of is maybe extending Summoning sickness or something, but that doesn't sound too fun either.

The only one I can see being remotely usable of those three is the exile and even that's a stretch.

The problem with the other 2 is you can build decks to completely exploit them. Life loss means nothing to a commander like Oloro. I WANT everyone to discard cards if I'm playing Nath of the Gilt Leaf or Neheb.

*other 3
Sorry I'm retarded

The extra turn that comes first is given to a player that's spell or ability that gives them was the most recent to resolve, so if you copy their spell, your resolves first and their afterwards, so they get the turn first, then you.
Resolving extra turns is like resolving a stack but in original order.

Each of those is abusable. Current one is best if compared to yours

>I WANT everyone to discard cards if I'm playing Nath of the Gilt Leaf or Neheb.
To be fair, I want my opponents to have to spend extra mana to recast their commanders, too. In that specific example, I think the discard would come across as a stax-esque effect if you're playing Nath or Neheb.
If any commander would be broken with the discard rule, it would something like Zegana.

Prossh, Jeleva, and Marath.

>implying 2 of the three of those commanders shouldn't be banned off the face of the earth

>implying Jeleva should be banned just because Grixis Storm is a thing
Shiggy.

Hook me up with that 5color sliver tribal senpai.

Why is this allowed?

Because that's what glory looks like

Brewing up a W/B hatebear + ETB abuse deck that I want to feel stax-ish.

I've been a Black autist for a while, so I know my Black ETB's. I'm struggling to find good White ones. Besides the obvious recursion creature package (Sun Titan, Reveillark, Karmic Guide, et al), I've got Seht's Tiger, Wall of Omens, Ranger of Eos, Thalia's Lancers, Knight of the White Orchid and Wingmate Roc.

Ideas? Bonus points if it's a particularily hateful effect

You may not like it, but this is what peak glory looks like.

Athreos as commander and Panharmonicon and try destroy your opponents hand with as much ETB Discard Thoughtseize effects as possible?

because red sux

Pretty much. Ravenous Rats, Lili's Specter, Gray Merchant, Fleshbag/Merciless (and others) have all been homies for a long time.

And I'm thinking Obzedat as the commander instead of Athreos, cause my meta is a bit durdley at times, so I believe a 5/5 beatstick will go a long way

Athreos is good if you want to make your enemies life miserable but its a bit slow.

Obzedat is a good beat stick too

Or you can go for Karlov and add some lifegain ETB's into the mix and kill players in one fell swoop with a gigantic 20/20 ghost that nukes key threats.

probably the 3-mana teysa, if for nothing else then additional token generation for smokestack or whatever

my favorite recursion/etb shenanigan cards in white are

Gift of Immortality
Yosei, the Morning Star
Ashen Rider (don't bother unless you can cheat him out)
Angel of Serenity

maybe World Queller for staxing

you're also in the colors to do the upcoming Bitterheart Witch + Overwhelming Splendor combo

Tidehollow Sculler, Fiend Hunter, & Leonin Relic-Warder all have their abilities printed in the old O-ring format and are abuse-able. Containment Priest fucks over cheating creatures into play and is an alternate way to abuse o-ring/banishing light's "return" ability. Grand Abolisher is probably the king of nonlegend hatebears desu

this can help recycle your creature ETBs, Sin Collector is another card worth looking at

Gains suspend X where X is the number of times its been cast before? Too easy to abuse?

suspend can be taken advantage of. obliterate a turn before my commander comes in, ez modu.

the best idea would be to have a turn cooldown. it dies, you cant cast it until after your next turn. increase the turns by one turn from here on out per time.

Those all promote certain archetypes. Discard is a boon to reanimator and madness, lifegain decks like kokusho would be happy to pay life. Labman wants to exile his library.

Mana cost from the command zone is the hardest thing in magic to cheat with, and is the best solution.

Red Sakiko?

Neheb is much, much better.

Green is much, much better.

You aren't wrong, but mana based off of life lost is much more preferable to mana based off of combat damage.

Alright Anafenza it is then, anyone have some cool stuff I can throw in?

I'm going to be including Dark Depths and a few ways to cheat it as a finisher and the Elesh Norn + animating lands as another. I'm thinking I might want to add at least 1 combo to win or possibly an equip package to suit up Anafenza if I need to.

If I play Kaalia of the Vast, am I "that guy"?

Deck strat is linear and predictable. Unless your normal table is ultra casual I can't imagine this being a problem. Unless you just have some sort of horrible dragon fetish like Seto Kaiba and can't stop yourself from humping the table.

How can I into tempo?

Hey now. He could have an angel fetish and get shitty anime alters.

You're correct sir. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

>Turn 5 this guy.
>Turn 6 earthquake for 5, gain 5 X (number of opponents) red mana, cast comet storm

fast mana lul

>Abhorrent Overlord sacrifice trigger saccing himself
>Sheoldred trigger bringing him back during the same upkeep
>Saccing the harpies to Attrition

It's been to long since I've enjoyed mono black

if you mean pic related

kaalia is literally half angel, demon, dragon human AND became a cleric. you cant get much more donut steel than that.

Ordered my new custom sleeves.

you better be morph and trap tribal nigga.

Heart of the fucking cards.

So I decided my next deck is going to be WUBG activated abilities tribal. Help me brainstorm Veeky Forums?

The Commander is Kydele/Ravos.

What are some solid cards in that context?

Kydele goes infinite with Umbral Mantle real easy

Forgot pic

Thrasios.

Does she have hetero-chrome?

eyes whited, but probably did at some point in her long, excruciatingly cliche backstory.

"Kaalia of the Vast alone holds the forces of Angels, Dragons, and Demons within the palm of her hand. Watch her toss each bone-crushing creature onto the battlefield with merciless glee while your horrified enemies are sliced, diced, and then deep-fried."

No, they're whited out, but she has two different kinds of wings.

the back wing looks like a different color so on a small card it makes me think demon wing. although her dragon wings are half black.

Dark Impostor
Havengul Lich
Heartstone
Illusionist's Bracers
Magewright's Stone
Necrotic Ooze
Quicksilver Elemental
Rings of Brighthearth
Skill Borrower
Thousand-Year Elixir
Training Grounds

If you're doing artifacts too:
Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient
Myr Welder

Getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering this pile of cards for The Scarab God. I still have a lot of cutting to do, but all of the expensive beasties are going in, so I may as well do some playtesting with the little fiddley-zombies to decide what makes the final version. Before I order, and good tech I've missed?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-06-17-MdZ-the-scarab-god/

>Sheoldred trigger bringing him back during the same upkeep

You can't do that though. You choose targets when the ability goes on the stack, not when it resolves.

I don't hate this / 10

you dont need zombie tribal, but some zombie support is okay like boneknitter cause tokens. ideally you should be milling, killing, and countering, then take the beststuff.

Shit well at least you saved me from goofing in front of people rather than just /edh/ and my tappedout, I've played about 3 games since probably December, a lot of college kids are at my LGS store now so I'm getting back into commander, guess I need to read how the stack works again

>tfw you're wrong on the internet

Does anyone know if this will retrigger if you play a card that gives you additional combat + main phase?

yes, seize the day will allow triple dipping of neheb, you monster.

It won't because it isn't adding another post-combat main phase, it's just adding another main phase that happens in between combats.

Or I guess I'm wrong.

I asked the question. I went and looked up the rules. It works. Every main phase beyond the first is referred to as postcombat.

>505.1a Only the first main phase of the turn is a precombat main phase. All other main phases are postcombat main phases. This includes the second main phase of a turn in which the combat phase has been skipped. It is also true of a turn in which an effect has caused an additional combat phase and an additional main phase to be created.

Anyone?

>she flies under the radar
If she flies under the radar in your group then your group is fucking terrible
She is a god damn immediate threat
Her being only 2 mana is even scarier

"Easiest" infinite combo is Saffi+Sun Titan+Blasting Station.

You're thinking too small user.
Turn 5 this guy, turn 6 Heartless Hidetsugu and equip the Swiftfoot/Lightning boots you laid down earlier.
Then either Comet Storm for 50-something, or drop a Spawnsire of Ulamog and put all 5 legal Eldrazi Titans into play from your sideboard.

The Scarab God is FUN
It's weird having a Dimir commander that actually tries to win the damn game instead of lurking back doing nothing but say "NO" to whatever card may advance the board state.

he fits alot of playstyles and hard counters reanimation. counter/kill and stax come to mind.

itt: cards that should have been commanders

Accurate. Temmet can get away with "flies under the radar", not the snake factory that is fucking Hapatra.