You have five seconds to explain why there are no republics in your setting

You have five seconds to explain why there are no republics in your setting.

They are all oligarchies in disguise

It's 1799, there are major republics in the Netherlands and North America. Even France is a Republic.. well, for like four more months.

I have one fanatical theocracy, two crumbling empires, six minor kingdoms, eighteen nomad tribes, and countless petty warlords, but I do not yet have an outright democracy. I'll have to remedy that.

in a world with truly superhuman beings like most PCs, all men are not created equal.
why should lesser men have a say?

But there are republics in my setting. What now?

Because cybernetic hiveminds enable true direct democracy, and representative government is therefore unnecessary.

Is an Empire, a republic?

>why should lesser men have a say?

In Rome? They don't.

Yes

Because it's triggering

one of the places in my setting is basically a fairly remote and desolate place with very self-sufficient villages and tribes with the only real connecting thing is a very loose network of trade and "!notwitchers", with a base in what can more or less be considered the capital, sending envoys that do year-long patrols along pre-set routes. these envoys fill the role of monsterslayers, traders, news-bearers and taxcollectors. the same order that the slayers belong to act pretty much as "the highest-ups", but only really in matters that effect all villages and tribes, such as matters of war and such.

the process of becoming a slayer are usually orphans (or otherwise judged as "burdens"), who after they are 5-10 gets sent off with one of these envoys, denounces his or her last name and either becomes a slayer, a trader, a scholar/priest (or just a regular labourer) there are several ranks of the order, but the second to highest is composed of three "councils" of a few veterans of the each of the orders, the slayers, the traders and the scholars (the scholars and the priests are pretty much the same thing) at a time and the highest one is composed out of three people, one for each group, and gets voted into this position by peers from their council.

would this be a republic? or what the hell would it be called?

There are.

There are.

Because it's an idyllic fantasy world where I can make a perfect world and absolute monarchy is the perfect system, stops subhumans being allowed a vote as they are in reality.

This. It's human nature to have royalty. In Republics given enough time, political dynasties will form and essentially function as royal families in all but name. Even worse, these tend to not have the decorum that true Royals have.

Because it's heresy.

Anarcho Capitalism

I was making shit up on the fly and left the alignment of the god of republics to a die roll. One campaign later there are no more republics.

>The masses are subhumans but the arbitrarily appointed descendants of old warlords are somehow literally superhuman

>Every republic is a democracy
>modern day republics are democracies
>I haven't read the Federalist Papers or du Contrat Social, both of which deal with this issue

Don't lose your head, Max, and start writing in plain text

There are, but they're theocratic republics.

My last campaign had a sort of feudal republic which I thought was cool. The Prince ruled half of the fiefs and the other half were ruled by foreign nobles sent by the country's previous rulers who had decided a crippled puppet state made a better buffer than something they directly controlled. They called it the 'Great Experiment' and hyped it up as the people's sanctuary, but in reality the foreign nobles were just assholes who were inconvenient to have killed and instead were exiled to the boonies in the guise of being awarded an important title.

Said assholes then formed up as a sort of Senate to discuss grievances and make demands on the prince. They could enforce their demands by refusing to pay tithes or supply the crown with soldiers in times of war, which was supported by their home country. So if this senate decided they wanted something they could cripple their prince's armies or stifle his treasury. Unfortunately, since they were cunts they were really just out to build more wealth for themselves and were often outright contemptuous of the people they ruled and of the prince.

I thought it was a neat idea but the game fell apart.