Fantasy races

Do you have any unique fantasy races to share? or do you have any different takes on existing races
>pic related what I'm basing my goblins off of

baby goblin

I thought my cat made it's way to Veeky Forums for a second.
On a side note they're awesome pets and no cat hair to deal with.

My friends always give me shit when I say I would want a sphinx cat, saying how ugly they are, but I think they look really cool.
How are they as pets, I've heard they can be quite troublesome

Right now I have two race families and I want a third.

Menfolk. Humans of all types. Includes pygmies, half demons and half and half angels, big slender giant dudes. Wild blonde barbarians and inbred noble dudes.

Then beastfolk. Different animal people. Not furry, just animals who walk on two legs and talk.

What should be the third?

They're clever and have to be kept out of the sun, and they can develop skin issues, but by and large they're fucking mischievous little fuckers.

I had an idea for an insectiod race based upon bees. They'd be ruled by queens who would exert a subtle form of psychic influence on their subjects. Queens would breed with large males termed praetorians that are created by allied queens. They would be capable of breeding with their own praetorians, but at the risk of developing undesirable mutations. Breeding with unrelated praetorians would allow for the development of positive mutations, allowing queens to create new castes as required. Queens would trade praetorians with other queens in return for favours. Breeding would take place several times per year, and would be a public event akin to a marriage ceremony, with allied queens all participating, relatives and friends invited, and praetorians competing in tournaments for the right to breed first. Praetorians would act as bodyguards for queens, in addition to generals, being granted a form of psychic control over their warriors.

The castes in general would be organised as follows:

- Queens (Sentient)
- Praetorians (Sentient)
- Warriors (Semi-sentient)
- Workers (Non-sentient)

I've been toying with the idea of an especially powerful queen rising and exerting psychic influence over the other queens, eventually becoming empress over the entire species. A resistance movement could form, led by queens who are powerful enough to resist the empress' control, but not enough to escape her influence totally, who plot behind the scenes to overthrow her. Some may experiment with ways of isolating themselves and their subjects from the empress' power, though at the cost of been seen as renegades, and being unable to co-ordinate with other queens. They could even lose control over their subjects by isolating themselves, leading to a scenario where rebel queens rule only in name. Their higher subjects may manipulate them to ensure their continued survival, and queens may be tolerated only because they are necessary for the survival of the species.

Faefolk? Strangefolk? Oddfolk?

Spiritfolk. Ghosts of the dead, actual spirits, and elementals.

I do goblins as essentially wolves, with hobgoblins (traditional style, not bigger goblins) being the equivalency of dogs with many different breeds.
>Redcap
>Leprachaun
>Brownies
>Knockers
>Bogeys
>etc.

Making a third miscellaneous family makes fine enough sense. I wasn't sure about ghosts since obviously ghosts are like, dead. Weird elemental people or like lantern/candle head people was also an option.

Trouble is, when I make races I don't want to make anything that doesn't need to eat, sleep, breathe or has skin tougher then thick animal hide so everyone is more or less on an equal playing field.

I use skeletons in a campaign setting, known as fleshless. They're the dead who occasionally wander out of the jaws of night. (These things happen when the gods are dead.) They don't need food or water or air to survive, but they need the memories of these things. This usually involves them pouring drink and tossing morsels of food into their mouths, only to have it splatter down through them. As for air, a fleshless can go without it for a while but then have to make the equivalent of willpower saves to avoid panic and disassociation.

Since fleshless are sometimes feared but usually looked upon with disdain by humans (after all, giving food and water to a dead person is a waste), they have a tendency to develop jovial but self-deprecating mannerisms with an eagerness to please. Or they become sociopaths. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Sometimes that's intentional.

Cats actually make a good deal of sense as the basis for goblins. They breed in large litters, see well in dark places, hunt by ambush in twilight, and generally make only a few lasting social bonds while seeing most others as competition. Plus those ears.

If you have any degree of allergy to cats, then they are probably not the breed for you. Most people are allergic to the skin oil that seeps into the cat's fur. Since there's no fur on a sphinx to absorb the oil, it goes directly onto you and your furniture. They have to be washed regularly to keep it from building up to the point it stains upholstery or blocks up their pores.

All that said, they're smart and definitely very uglycute in the manner of Yoda.

Where would PCs of the race come from? Praetorians would probably make the most sense. Warriors who have been without a queen for a long time might work if they naturally regain their sapience.

>They have to be washed regularly to keep it from building up to the point it stains upholstery or blocks up their pores.

Yeah, I heard it's like a bath every week and a chamois rubdown every day.

I have a custom race called "Gluttons" they're generally on the fat side humanoid creatures with a protruding lower jaw and a set of tusk like teeth not as large as tusks but they protrude up wards. They're equipped with a natural bite attack and they can consume large quantities of food without feeling full.

They're immune to poisons that have been consumed or diseases that have been consumed.

They have three toes on their two stubbier legs thus a dexterity negative but they're boisterous and wise. With four fingers on each of their surprisingly muscular arms their eyes would make you think they were blind due to their iris and pupil being a milky white their nose is shaped kind of like a snout but still pointed like that of a humans they lack ears instead having gill like ribs on the side of their head that act exactly like ears.

They have three stomachs two hearts four livers and 8 kidneys.

They were created when a death god and a god of filth and vermin made a pact over their realms of existence and from the pact a new race dripped like molasses from its jar in a large droplet form into the material realms.

They have an affinity for dominating vermin masses. And they have a large cleric hood to death in general thus necromancy.

A traditional funeral proceeding for them is after the death of a loved one to remove the three stomachs of the loved one and to cannibalize them despite its gruesome nature its seen as respect and a glutton stomach is said to taste like several very pleasant flavors all wrapped up in one

SIMPSO-

I mean.

SAMURAI JACK DID IT!

>pic related what I'm basing my goblins off of

Because I like to use minis but I'm cheap, I've added some things to my campaign based on Star Wars minis, which are exponentially cheaper than D&D minis. So these guys are now a race of weird long-necked semi-civilized fruit farmers who never seem to talk. They're not telepathic, but they just seem to be able to plan really elaborate things through intuition and social awareness. Sometimes, but only on very rare occasions, this includes acts of war so horrific that even orcs blush. They are capable of learning to talk, and a few traders do, and when quizzed about why they occasionally ritualistically massacre whole populations in places quite remote and then go home, they seem not to understand the question.

forgot the pic

Warriors would make the most sense because praetorians are intended to be nine feet tall nightmares with natural armour and swords for arms. Warriors, by comparison, are relatively humanoid. They posses a form of sentience, but it is relatively limited. They possess a keen understanding of tactics and close combat from their genetic memory, but that's it. They do not understand leisure, and when dealing with other members of their species, they are rigid and predictable. Turbo-autists that are bred only for war, essentially. This could change, as they do posses some emotions, specifically love, as it plays a key role in the hierarchy of their species. Warriors posses a strong sense of loyalty to their superiors, as they are nearly always related to them. The troops a praetorian commands will nearly always be those they have sired with their adoptive queen. They would feel the same kind of love for their parents as a human child feels for its parents. This ensures they will remain loyal should they be isolated from the psychic network. As to how this would affect warriors in a scenario where a rebel queen has isolated herself from the network at large, warriors would begin to become self aware over time. Now, as to how praetorians would react to suddenly being free of their adopted queen's influence, it would largely depend on how intelligent they are. More intelligent praetorians may be able to recognise the submission of their birth queen to the empress, and may chose to continue working for their adopted queen in order to free their birth queen. On the other hand, less intelligent praetorians may simply return to their birth queen, or begin actively working against their adopted queen, if it is what their birth queen, and by extension, the empress, desires. This may lead to a scenario whereby a rebel queen is forced to exile or imprison unrelated praetorians. In this case, in order to breed, they would be forced to kidnap and rape praetorians.

Beerus disapproves.

Fleshless is a great idea. I for real might steal that :X

then why call them goblins?

They're stolen pretty much entirely from Mesoamerican myths and legends, the only difference being that those undead are wholly evil. Of course, my setting has Aztec and Mayan influences with a heavy squirt of Rome and the zest of an anthology of swords-and-sorcery fantasy.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of dead souls were normal people mostly concerned with mundane matters and self-preservation. The fleshless you really need to worry about were crafted from the spirits of the wicked, cruel, and selfish.

Additionally, the fleshless as I use them do not clearly remember their past lives, nor are they made from the bones of their old bodies. It's just that in the realm of the dead, deep beneath the earth, everyone is a skeleton. What little they do remember of their lives is represented through their starting skills.

OH! I forgot something very important. Fleshless consume light. They can taste it, smell it. They breathe it like we breathe air. Going long without threatens their mental state. It fills their skulls and glows out, making them into walking lanterns. Unusual sources of light like flames which burn blue or green are delicacies and may even have an intoxicating effect. It is not uncommon in a very large city to see a group of fleshless at night buy torches like a living human might buy a gourd of beer or a tamale at the end of a hard day of work. A fleshless holds such a torch under her nose hole and seemingly inhales, squelching the flame in the process. Of course, the light of the sun makes up most of their "diet." To go into darkness for days or months means possibly losing their humanity forever; fleshless encountered within a tomb or under the earth are savage and will rip apart anyone they see, assuming their skulls will also be full of light. They will also seek to devour torches and inhale magical lights.

>just animals who walk on two legs and talk
So furry?

There's no fluff on their butts so their anuses touch everything directly. Expect to clean off your cat's butt puckers constantly.

>goblins
>not vampires

I have one and she is amazing. Best breed of cats personality-wise. Very smart little shitheads
Pic related is Luna

Can someone photoshop this cat purple for me?

How'd they fuck up all the other Gods of Destruction design so bad? The only other good one is the Fish guy, and I guess the fox.

still technically beast folk but but bug/invertebrate people

Chimaera
Furry/Anthro/Beast race, genetically grown super-soldiers with a new lease on life.

Arcanists
Technically 3 races consisting of goo-people, robot-people, and AI-hologram people

Celestials
Pseudo "angelic"/valkyrie like beings with smooth, statuesque features. Their bodies are barely held together by their magic infused souls, eternal, alive, but forever incomplete. A mark of their own brazen and reckless use of magic.

Humanoid creatures coming from the same stock as dragons... unusual in that the bone structures that form the wings on a typical quadrupedal dragon are adapted as a second pair of arms on the flightless humanoids.

Basically.

The dwarves are not as much different from regular, except they're really short and stout, almost square in build. They're also pretty much stone golems, fully made out of rock (beard included) and their blood is bright and thick, lava-like even. They can see through stone.

Elves are basically treants, they grow big and are incredibly slow but powerful, body wise and magic wise, they're very much calm and beautiful in the sense as nature is beautiful. They're the only race that has someone who was made right at the beginning of the world.

Orcs are actually bird-like, they can walk and live on clouds if they so desire. They're also HUEG but their bones break easily enough, had to be genocided once because they almost conquered entire planet.

Humans. Used to be merpeople.

Seafolk, only proper race made out of chaos, can move on land but need water to live, drove humans out of the ocean forcing them to grow legs.