How do you stat kaiju, Veeky Forums?

How do you stat kaiju, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aoUUXfk26Cc
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Give it regular stats when it's fighting another kaiju or some kind of superweapon, but no stats at all when it's fighting regular characters. You fight them on their own level or you just don't fight them.

Either of two ways.
1. As really damned big creatures (Pacific Rim, Cloverfield, some of the lesser Toho Kaiju)
2. As forces of nature/gods (Gamera, the Toho Heavy Hitters)
Legendzilla kinda would fall between the two.

This.
I might include stats for interacting/fending off, but not defeating.

There are three ways of doing it: real stats, no stats, and joke stats. Which direction you go depends largely on what system you're using.

If you're playing a game like Exalted, where it's perfectly fine for something really small to kill something really big, then you can stat it out normally. Give it big defenses that are a problem for mundies but not a problem for heroes.

If you're playing something more rules lite, don't even stat them in the beginning. Do everything via fiat, and maybe a little bit of random dice-rolls and eye-balling the results.

Then, finally, there are joke stats. You can find these kinds of stats anywhere, but usually in games that are lore heavy and rules heavy. These are stats like Cthulhu eating 1d4 investigators every round, or Caine's crazy stats (no, I don't mean the sheet that just says "you fucking lose." I mean the one that gives him the mark of cain and perfect stats and the ability to create new powers on the fly.). These stats aren't really supposed to be used in game. They're more of a way of showing you just how powerful the kaiju is, to help you use the no-stats method better.
Pic related, the Immortals Handbook. An entire monster-manual of joke stats.

The best thing about the Immortals Handbook is that, by all appearances, it was meant to be taken seriously. And it's all technically playable too!

>Legendzilla kinda would fall between the two.
He tanked the Chicxulub Impactor and just shrugged it off. Even by Kaiju standards that's absurd. He's a force of nature.

youtube.com/watch?v=aoUUXfk26Cc

>your party is trapped on a cruise ship and has to fight this thing

how fucked are they?

Sweet

There's literally a fucking 3.5 template for them you dolt.

Alternatively, pull a note from CoC and just write up "kills 2D6 characters a turn within X (kilo)meters".

Sorry, meant Legendary Godzila, a.k.a. Godzilla '14.
That's actually a good idea.

>Sorry, meant Legendary Godzila, a.k.a. Godzilla '14.
So did I.

this seems fitting

You don't. They're plot devices.

Ah, now I get what you're saying.
Still think Millennium has the most BS durability feats, what with Absolute Zero and the Black Hole Gun.

Legendary is up there. His breath wasn't very strong, but he's retardedly tough.

Nothing tops the black hole, though. Millenium also had the best back plates.

>His breath wasn't very strong

I always thought the Godzilla's with DBZ beam weapon breaths were overdoing it. Vomiting nuclear plasma is going to do stupid amounts of damage to whatever it hits without adding in all kinds of egregious anime bullshit.

Oh I loved how it looked in the movie, it just doesn't rank up next to his other incarnations. Namely Burning and Shin.

I'm pretty sure LegendaryGoji could tank anything another version of him could do and then just maul them like a bear.

I'm willing to believe the reason his breath didn't seem that strong was because either A, the MUTOs were that externally durable, or B, he wasn't at full power.

I agree wholeheartedly on the back plates.
And Neon Godzilla Evangelion just looked waaay too derpy for me to take seriously. Also the CGI was pretty bad.

I dont because they are fake, gay and japanese

Just like (you)r waifu.

In the novelization the MUTOs energy pulses suppress his internal pilot light so he can't use the breath. It is my secret hope that in his first non-muto fight he's going to haul off and just annihilate something with it. He also has an offshore nuke's worth of radiation to eat now.

Shin was a fantastic take on the concept of a solo Godzilla movie, but it took the Heisei just-stand-around-and-laser-things mindset up to fucking eleven.

Believe me. The beam spam wars of Toho's later Godzilla movies is why I like Legendary's Godzilla more. He's tanky and gets in there with claws and fangs. It's much more brutal and entertaining to watch him fight. They managed to even make Kong's fighting more brutal.

>the MUTOs were that externally durable

I'm willing to believe the equivalent of a Godzilla eating cazador would be pretty tough against what he can dish out.

>And Neon Godzilla Evangelion just looked waaay too derpy for me to take seriously. Also the CGI was pretty bad.

Shin Godzilla was such a trainwreck of a film. It's everything bad about Anno's style and tries way too hard to be different to the point it's barely a Godzilla movie. It's only one notch above GINO.

First kaiju was arguably Scyllua. If not, the titans or even Humbaba.

Also, my waifu is straight.

>Believe me. The beam spam wars of Toho's later Godzilla movies is why I like Legendary's Godzilla more. He's tanky and gets in there with claws and fangs. It's much more brutal and entertaining to watch him fight. They managed to even make Kong's fighting more brutal.
I agree with every goddamn word of this, but Godzilla vs. Biollante is still my favorite G film of all time.

When the female muto comes at him the first time and he just grabs her by the throat and puts her through a building, I was home.

Anno is just too far up his own ass to take criticism well. The laser lightshow and "Wake up, puppet sheepuru, the US is EVIRU" annoyed me.
The thought of Godzilla straight up growing wings and becoming the First Angel, as well as the Godzillasapiens and Tail beam, flat-out pissed me off.

Definitely liked the visceral feel of Legendary, just wish they hadn't had that whole human story taking up precious monster fighting time.

>Biollante
Biollante was fucking poignant and beautiful. The whole transformation from Rose to Final form aesthetics were great.

Hedora still beats out Annozilla for Worst G-Series Film.
WHY CAN HE FLY?!

>but Godzilla vs. Biollante is still my favorite G film of all time

That and 2014 are tied for mine. Good examples of applying the overarching theme of Godzilla and kaiju (anthropomorphic personifications of mankind's fears and failures) into newfound issues and worries which face modern society. Plus an underlying theme of how far one would go for family, shown through either struggle or madness.

At least Banno had the excuse of probably being high as fuck while directing Hedorah. Anno's just pretentious.

>everything is 3.5
>everyone knows about a specific template in a specific issue of Dragon magazine from 16 years ago (which is actually 3.0, not 3.5, because 3.5 wasn't released until 2003)

Not him, but google exists, you know.

>int 5 WP 10
TIME FOR PSYDEATH!

Depends on the system

>Millenium also had the best back plates.
Shin has that.

This is the least toxic thread on the entire damn board, but I am going to say you are wrong.

Shin just had the classic plates with a red glow. MilleniumGoji's plates looked fucking mean.

>Level 16
>Immune to powers of 280 or below
>Controlled by the GM
Yes, it may have been an oversight on my account, but you're still probably screwed unless you sperged and min-maxed your base potential in JUST psydeath, AND the GM allows you to pull something like that off.
I also just realized I forgot about the Gnosis 30 Creation Point he gets.

As terrain.

Addendum:
Heisei HAS been shown to be susceptible to powerful psychic abilities(Miki Saegusa in vs. SpaceGodzilla), and there is very little evidence of magic in setting that couldn't also maybe be psychic shit(Fairy Mothra).

H'okay, fixed some things. Bumped him to Gnosis 35, which gives him an effect on his surroundings(Radiation Zones), some extra CP/DP to throw into monster powers(boosting his breath range and EMP AoE, bolstered his WP, POW and resists(He still doesn't have WP 20, that goes to Anguirus and his "bitch, I ain't dead yet" attitude), gave him some Intimidate.

To be honest, Shin's back plates -and most of his final form's skin for that matter- kept reminding me of Skyrim's Daedric armor, so I couldn't take them seriously.

>hating Shoggothzilla

Holy fucking shit, I bet you love Showa era "Friend of all people" Godzilla too.

You fucking cocksucker.

So who wins if Legendary and Anno Godzillas fought? I'll tell you who would most likely lose: Us

Anno's Godzilla would win eventually. It's literally unkillable. Literally Doomsday Godzilla.

>Actually liking cellulite thighzilla
>calling someone else a cocksucker
Next you'll say Tristarzilla was good.
And Showa-era was hit or miss. Notably shitty ones were anything with Minilla/Minya and Hedora.
And anyone who prefers King of the Monsters to unmodified Gojira is a shitbag.

It literally doesn't matter how Godzilla looks. All that matters is that Godzilla destroys shit and kills a lot of people/puts a lot of people in danger.

Bold choice of them to heavily feature one of the worse fonts possible.
I also never noticed the scared Tarrasque on the cover.

>tries way too hard to be different to the point it's barely a Godzilla movie
What you talking about user, it was one of the closest interpretations to the original we ever got. Godzilla finally went back to his allegorical roots and expressed a relevant message, whilst still remaining a monstrous combination of nature and human wrongdoing that people cannot fully understand.
Or would you rather want more of the same worn out, regurgitated shit that already managed to kill the franchise several times over the course of its history?

Exactly.
>huge monsters shows up and wrecks japan
>people are desperate for a solution
>crazy scientist(s) save the day

In a fight or in a movie?

In a realistic(bear with me here) fight, Legendary-Zilla would tear Shin apart when it was small. Anno confirmed that the Helicopters could have killed form 2 Shin, but they held fire.

In a movie, they'd draw out the fight to pad the run time, and if Shin got to Stage 3, it becomes functionally immortal. Nothing Shin could do would really hurt Legendary much, but it'd wear him down eventually or evolve some bullshit attack that could hurt him.

>ctrl+f
>terrasque
>0 results

>>terrasque
try its correct name, failfag

>You lose.

>Shin Godzilla was such a trainwreck of a film. It's everything bad about Anno's style and tries way too hard to be different to the point it's barely a Godzilla movie. It's only one notch above GINO.

TELL THAT IN THE STREET AND NOT ONLINE, YOU MOTHERFUCKER.
SHIN GOJIRA IS KNHO

>GINO
>KNHO
Please explain acronyms

GINO = 1998 Zilla (Godzilla In Name Only)
KNHO = fake cyrilic for Kino, aka, good movie, aka shitty /tv/ memes

I love Shin's dorky face, and you can't deny that atomic breath scene was pure Kino.

Ah, okay. Kinda figured the first one out.

The atomic breath scene and first(second)form's buggy-eyed look were about the only things I really liked.
Though when he was starting to lift off the ground, it reminded me of those old wooden snake toys that wiggled side to side.

I must be the only one who likes Hedora (as a monster concept, the movie itself was a bunch of shit). Also like Biolante.

I like it when Godzilla is fighting something weird (or humans) and not just another dude in a rubber suit. At least the 80-90's movies had a lot of beam attacks and flying monsters doing swooping attacks, so they had very little awkward wrestling between two dudes in costumes.

How good is Kong? What system is best for running a Kaiju campaign?

I'm not going to deny that Hedorah itself was one nasty fuck.
But the movie is one of the few movies I regret watching, up there with Leprechaun 2 and 5, GitS(I coulda seen Logan on the big screen that same night), and probably a few "SyFy originals" that I've burned out of my memory.

I don't really have any that I regret, because I always take it as a learning experience. Even a terrible movie can have an interesting idea or two.

G vs Hedorah is actually one of my favorites because it's so intriguingly weird and refreshingly different. In many ways it's unlike any of the previous movies but it also parallels and contrasts with the original too.

Can't go wrong with MAID.

People talk about Anno's Shin Godzilla being a metaphor like the original, but Anno's imagery is missing tbe fucking point of Godzilla. Anno's Godzilla is a metaphor for the United States or some gay ass shit

Original Godzilla is a metaphor for Nuclear weapons, sure, but also Japan's actions during WW2. It was self critical

>Anno's Godzilla is a metaphor for the United States or some gay ass shit

I thought it was about Fukushima. I remember reading that there's a lot of stuff that's aping things that happened with the Fukushima incident (with the politics).

Then maybe you can explain WHAT IN THE UNHOLY FUCK THOSE TEENS WERE DOING DANCING IN THOSE FIELDS, WITH OLD FARMERS WATCHING THROUGH THE REEDS, WHILE HEDORAH WAS KNOWN TO BE AT LARGE.
Sorry for yelling, but that scene alone confuses the fuck out of me.

But who would be the master in that case?

>dumb teens are dumb
>more news at 11

Didn't say I understood it. Just that I liked how lunatic it was.
But I've read several possible interpretations.
- they're just kids who want to have one last party before Hedorah kills them
- they wanted to bring awareness to environmentalism but since they were stupid hippies, they ended up causing more pollution with their cars and fires. And no one notices they get killed. According to at least one critic, the scene was intended as a huge 'fuck you' at the hippy movements.
- they're meant to strengthen the notion that Japan has to work together with the scientists who find a solution against Hedorah/pollution. Instead, most characters in the movie (the authorities, the military, the kids, even Godzilla) act independently without conferring with Dr. Yano (science), and none can defeat Hedorah on their own.

As for the old geezers, fuck do I know.

Really, ancient mythology and folklore are fucking rife with kaiju. The core narrative concept of a kaiju is that they're a living natural disaster -- huge, destructive, unpredictable, and basically unstoppable. There are a shitton of gods and mythological monsters that are basically natural disasters personified as giant monsters.

The master is the mad scientist/wizard who sends them out roughly once a week to try and conquer the world, where their attempts are inevitably defeated by a bunch of teenagers with attitude.

>I always thought the Godzilla's with DBZ beam weapon breaths were overdoing it.
This is why Shin Godzilla will be stuck as one of the worst godzillas.

I liked it. A different take, squeezing the exhaust into a tight beam. The beam effect reminded me of the live-action Nausicaa short.

user, Legendzilla followed the premise of the original Godzilla movie, which was never about the monster at all.

>there are people posting here who didn't get shin Godzilla
>there are mericans posting here buttblasted about shin Godzilla
Ok, it's time to fucking kill myself.

All the movies, really. It's always a big monster, the military, science, and some dude or dudes.

While Dude Kickass was a bit blocky in his performance and Heisenberg stole the show, I liked the teasing nature of the movie. Remember watching it the first time in the theater and when I saw the back scales start to light up, I was creaming my jeans.

Tell me you didn't shout "YES!" when Godzilla finally did what we have all thought he should do at least once - breath atomic flame down something's throat.

Anno's film is indeed a metaphor like the original in that it discusses a relevant issues for Japan. It's got blatant references to the Fukushima incident and nuclear and natural disasters in a general sense, but it's also critical of Japan's political workings and the country's place in global affairs. No, it's not about the exact same topic as Honda's film, but that's a good thing because they have to keep with the times.
Godzilla himself has little to nothing to do with America. Actually, a better (but still incorrect) case could be made for the original film being a jab at the US, because that film ties him strongly to the bombs they had dropped.

I liked it too. Doesn't mean I'd want every version of Godzilla from now on to have the same power, but it was nice to see him do new things instead of being just "same old same old". Granted, Anno has a fondness for these kind of beams, so the idea in itself can't really be called new, but whatever.

I remember a lot of people saying that Bryan Cranston should've been the star of the movie, his performance was great.

>because that film ties him strongly to the bombs they had dropped.

Japan should have been dragged through the mud like Germany was after the war. Now they're just denying ever doing anything and are all high and mighty about it.

>Doesn't mean I'd want every version of Godzilla from now on

Of course not, just this one. A beam itself is nothing new, per se, but I think the fact that it starts off as just a plume of smoke and fire, which gets tightened into a beam, is a less used thing. At least before Shin Gojira. Afterwards, well...

I suppose that would work.
I have nothing against Shin's breath weapon. It was pretty fucking neat. But the tail breath and the laser light show? A bit on the dumb side.

Dude, that part was great. They did a Godzilla which actually looked kinda like a deep-sea organism. Note the needle teeth and the fish-like eyes oriented in a way that precludes effective binocular vision. It was a damn cool idea.

I really loved Shin Godzilla, although it did have some excesses. Part of it was the way it had a perspective an American film wouldn't follow-- we'd never do something with a dramatic "setting up a makeshift conference room" scene.

Expanding on that slightly:
It was a neat answer to an obvious question. Godzilla spends most of his time in the ocean, so why does he look like a terrestrial tetrapod? Well, he doesn't, until he comes on land.

Ditto for the scientists trying to explain him. Alright, this critter is structurally and metabolically impossible, but it just wrecked a big chunk of city anyway. What does it run on? Well... what if we're looking at a biological nuclear reactor? And then the solution falls out of that naturally. The additional mysticism about "the perfect organism" or whatever was stupid, but that seems to be a pretty common thing in Japanese fiction, especially anything with Anno on it.

Does GURPS have anything that supports kaiju? It occurs to me that I actually own Atomic Horror but have no idea how well the rules in it work.