/osr/

udan-adan.blogspot.com/2016/09/bx-class-extras.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-class-modron-mathmatician.html
justanotherdungeon.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-pen-is-mightier-draft-calligrapher.html
necropraxis.com/2014/02/26/genie-binder/
gloomtrain.blogspot.com/2015/11/bound-dinni-class.html

>Prior:
Trove: pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Game finder?: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>What is best in life, GP for XP or SP for XP?

Other urls found in this thread:

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-class-summoner.html
udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/09/foes-of-wicked-city-6-blue-folk.html
udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/08/foes-of-wicked-city-5-children-of-pines.html
falsemachine.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-wreckers.html
savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2017/06/d30-feature-of-week-d30-burial-urns.html
elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/2017/07/d100-treasure-defences.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-class-thieves.html
campaignwiki.org/gridmapper
paperspencils.com/2012/01/15/gary-gygax-the-jeweled-man-and-letting-your-players-fail/
pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Since this thread just start why not ruin it early?

I don't use race as class in my game, but am still deciding on if I want to use race with a mechanical benefit though. Do you think it's interesting or fun to give races a mechanical reason, or do you think it detracts from the smooth and class-based nature of the game?

Something that might be doable is is some sort of racial quality, like infra-vision or immunity to charms and then add aptitude for a skill, bumping a 1 out of 6 chance to 2 out of 6 (like elven listen).

If you want more structure around this idea, ACKS has pretty good guides on how to make your own class which would let you do this very easily.

>Post Weird Class Edition
I still think the Summoner is pretty dang weird. You could be a guy with a dagger and the ability to summon a giant pink faceless pig and an arrowhead that finds newborns. That's it. That's your class.

>coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-class-summoner.html
I think it's fun, but the effects I use are really minor. Races get to reroll 1 Stat at character creation and pick the highest result. They also get a minor bonus and a minor downside. It makes character creation interesting.

I don't like raw benefit. I prefer them to be tradeoffs (when I don't use race-as-class, ie, in OD&D). That way I don't have to salt the XP requirements or use level limits, which are one of the few truly terrible rules in the LBB.

What if race is purely cosmetic instead?

I just don't like races giving flat bonus or penalties to stats.

Then that is also fine? Pick whatever you'd prefer for your games, your group, and your system.

So give them special abilities and non-stat penalties. Better yet, do race as class.
udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/09/foes-of-wicked-city-6-blue-folk.html
udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/08/foes-of-wicked-city-5-children-of-pines.html

If everyone has similarly modeled special abilities, then effectively it is a trade off. Imagine if the elf magic-user has a 2 in 6 listen at doors and immunity to charm, the dwarf magic-user has 2 in 6 stone craft and infravision, and the meerkat-man magic-user has can dig without tools and has a 2 in 6 history of notable families, then it is a matter of side-grades instead of upgrades,

I don't have a problem with it, but that's the not what the what the question asker said.

>If everyone has similarly modeled special abilities, then effectively it is a trade off.
Sure, of course. But it leaves the issue of humans, plus it's a tiny bit of power creep. (Not enough to matter, but enough to trip my autism.) I just prefer stuff like "can smell magic, but can't be affcted by healing magic", or the more complex tradeoffs that Brass Man class has.

Cool idea. But then what would 1 encumbrance value of books be worth? Like, could you go buy yourself a library? Or what?

>race and class
>not making race as class but every class as a race
>different weird gonzo cultures have class specific values to them. Magic users are part of a racial group that is fragmented and kept around for their arcane powers, Fighters are all blonde haired northerners or bronze-skinned demigods, Clerics are some fat sun worshippers that aren't even related to the above groups, etc.

>not using race and class with all races being the old classes and all new classes being completely different

OSR = LotFP

It's pretty much the only OSR definition that makes sense.

> GP for XP or SP for XP?
SP

>Gold for XP
>Silver for XP
>Not copper/clay/cheapest coin denomination for XP

Too many plebs on /osrg/ today.

>OSR = LotFP
>It's pretty much the only OSR definition that makes sense.
But that's just wrong.

What is your image from? Tried searching for it.

What are some good tools for making grid maps?

Don't take the bait.

It's... an arbitrary distinction?

Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai

OSR=Pathfinder since Pathfinder is the only retroclone that's truly widely played.

>OSR = LotFP

Everyone seems to have moved onto GLOG instead.

In fact these threads are getting more cliquey with all the blogs and stuff. It's not strictly a bad thing and I like the content, but what about products and people that AREN'T coinsandscrolls/goblinpunch/occultesque?

>weird class edition
Hey so on a now-defunct OSR blog site (I think maybe Monstrous Television?) there was an Annelidist class - the Tenra Bansho Zero class that has powers from parasitic insects that infest his/her body. I really liked it but I didn't save it, does anyone have it?

Here's this big ole list of classes too:

awizardskiss.blogspot.co.nz/2013/02/flailsnails-compatible-race-class.html

Dead link is dead.
Everywhere else I checked also just linked there.

And neither Google Cache View nor WayBackMachine have it archived.

I'm not going to say "it doesn't exist anymore," but if it does it's on some dude's harddrive.
It's certainly not on the internet.

>Everyone seems to have moved onto GLOG instead.
It's just what it looks like because most of the conversation that's productive of content right here, right now is connected to GLOG. Occultesque user's tables don't seem GLOG-adapted to me, though. I'm pretty sure the 50-classes table he made (I think, anyway) and that someone reposted last thread are adapted for B/X, for example.

Personally I don't like discussing the stuff I've created for my OD&D game because I want to stay user even in the off chance one of my players goes here. But I enjoy the OD&D vogues in /osrg/ enough to know that they've happened, and to hope they will again. This is another one of those.

(If you want discussion of other stuff, why not write some? Bust out some new spells for BECMI or anything you like, post it!)

>because I want to stay user even in the off chance one of my players goes here.
I was worried about that at first, but then I decided "fuck it", gave my players a direct link to my blog, and let 'em go nuts. It's not like they're going to read it anyway.

If you've got content you feel like posting, post it.

Also,
looking at it, about 1/3rd of the stuff I post is GLOG-specific. Most of it is systemless.

>If you want discussion of other stuff, why not write some?

I'm terribly uncreative, I'd rather see what other people have made. However, a lot of cool stuff passes me by for months since there's no concentrated OSR community or news source.

falsemachine.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-wreckers.html
savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2017/06/d30-feature-of-week-d30-burial-urns.html
elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/2017/07/d100-treasure-defences.html

Just a few decent articles I've come across recently that aren't about Tomb of the Serpent Kings. The Brass Men class in the last thread was really cool too.

As for published products, I have no idea how to find new releases. I'm basically dependent on tenfootpole.org telling me what to buy.

>coinsandscrolls
Just from checking, I assume this is the same person as was random gen'ing byzantine rulers ITT? The most recent blog post is basically identical but for Franks.

Yup, that's the one.

>This is another one of those.
This was much less clear than I had intended. What I meant was, the GLOG-heavy talk at the moment is due to a vogue for the system since it's solid and different especially in its magic system, but still recognizably OSR.

As an addition, it's a damn sight better than the "fuckass trolls" period that immediately preceded it.

>I was worried about that at first, but then I decided "fuck it", gave my players a direct link to my blog, and let 'em go nuts.
This is more about my autistic dedication to the ideal of "you don't talk about Veeky Forums". Oldfag gonna oldfag, I guess, even though I know damn well that tons of popular shit got its start by some user doodling with it here and then dropping anonymity.

>I'm terribly uncreative, I'd rather see what other people have made.
That is a problem, but beggars can't be choosers.

>a lot of cool stuff passes me by for months since there's no concentrated OSR community or news source
I thought Tenkar's Tavern tried to be that? I can also recommend Jeff Rients' blogroll as something to check frequently if you want to keep tabs on the OSR. Plus, Jeff's updating again, so that's cool.

>The Brass Men class in the last thread was really cool too.
I agree, it's great. As soon as I have the time I'm going to bash through that guy's whole Clockpunk tag to see what the technology skill is all about, and so on.

Have you had a look at Dungeon of Signs? I can recommend it if you haven't. I think I'm not wrong in calling that guy a semi-obscure producer of great ideas. (I wish he'd publish full and clear rules for his HMS Apollyon system, though. Lots of intriguing character stuff added onto a base of OD&D that he's never bothered to explain AFAIK.)

>Veeky Forums
>C

>This is more about my autistic dedication to the ideal of "you don't talk about Veeky Forums".
The problem is that, if only shitty people learn about this site, the content will stay shitty. It's a vicious cycle. But yeah, no need to direct them /here/. Start a blog or something or just post content for the rest of us to enjoy.
>Dungeon of Signs
Seconding. There's a ton of great osr stuff being produced.

I know, I know. I've been getting shit for that the whole way here, but for some reason I keep typing it like that and never catch it until I've already posted.

I admit that there's a problem in that refusing to post my OC to stay unidentified means less content in the threads. I try to help out and add stuff whenever I come up with anything, though.
I wrote those BECMI versions of the first few Orthodox spells that you GLOGified, for instance, Razor Spiral and that.

Thanks man, those were pretty good! I bet you were responsible for a few of these too.

> gave my players a direct link to my blog...
Does anyone have a blog where everyone in the group can post?

>Does anyone have a blog where everyone in the group can post?
I mean, they do post comments. Well, comment. One. So far.

But I've seen that work out pretty well for a few formats/games.

I think the ACKS guys used to do something of that sort back when they were playing B/X and actually posting shit, years ago. Some good play reports IIRC.

I honestly don't remember. Could well be, but that's more of a laugh than something you have to work on, even for a few minutes.

Anyway, because I've barely spammed my stuff at all in this thread, and /osr/ can't go a full day without glorious new OC:

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-class-thieves.html

My notes on the thief class for the GLOG. The whole thing is reasonably system-agnostic, especially the background table. There is also a new /unique/ cantrip, just for that one user last thread.

>5. After acquiring 100gp, your fellow bandits agreed to split the treasure in a very odd way. You start with 1gp, the "Logic" skill, and a strong distrust of other outlaws.
KEK

I'm still new to making dungeons and stuff. How should I make a prison my PCs can break out of?

Thick door leads to a 3 foot wide walkway with several barred cells with large gaps. The talkative guard sits on a stool at the end of the walkway. The keys are normally stored in an empty cell's lock, but all the cells are in use. The guard has them in his hands for once, he has no pockets.

If there's a Thief in the party: the party have been deprived of all items and thrown in the oubliette (or lowered, more likely). However, Thieves are able to scale sheer walls and even overhangs without equipment at a high probability of success. There is no lock on the hatch, as a 30' drop is enough to keep anybody from opening it (or so it's assumed). A clever Thief can hide, shout or just wait for the guard, steal the dagger out of his belt and cut his throat with it, then fish out the other PCs at leisure with rope. (Perhaps he doesn't even need to kill anybody and can just throw the rope down, the group subsequently overpowering any guards with fists and numbers.)

Of course, if the Thief's player is retarded this leads to the party being permanently oublietted at the start of the game, which is a touch iffy.

>KEK
Glad you liked that.

Anyone? Making the map directly on roll20 seems like a pain and I wanted to make it look "old-school" somehow

Does this meet your needs? campaignwiki.org/gridmapper

Also, this does seem like something that might be solved by a few furious google searches...

Are you teleport spells (General) or an orderless school where every wizard stomachs the "MD return only on a 1" for the first 8 casts?
Also, what are the order-dependent starting items for Elementalists, Animists, and Drowned Wizards?

I don't think any one school has teleport spells on their starting list, so they'd fall under the heading of "non-school" spells. MD would only return on a 1 for the first 8 casts.

I'm literally rewriting wizards right now, so, if you're willing to wait 2-3 hours, you'll see the full list of items. However, if your class doesn't give you a starting item, it doesn't give you one. Animists, Elementalists, and Drowned Wizards get nothing specific.

Yup, that looks good. Thanks user

Meant for

>50 classes table
Not me! For what it's worth, I don't use GLOG either, my main OSR jam is S&W White Box.

Cool! My mistake.

>my main OSR jam is S&W White Box.
Awesome, but why not just use LBB OD&D?

Because those are a pain to reference

Pls offer comments on my condensed rewrite of the GLOG magic system.

You gain +1 Magic Die and +1 Spell Slot for each Wizard template you possess, to a maximum of 4 each.

Spellcasting
Spells are creatures. Angels, demons, spells, enchantments, ghosts, and souls are all more or less the same. Most spells are about as intelligent as a ferret, but they grow and mature just like any living thing. An ancient mage's spells are often as crafty and subtle as their caster, though a spell's mind and goals are still alien.

A wizard's spellbook is a prison or a menagerie. Spells are locked inside, ready to be taken out and loaded into the wizard's brain. A well-trained brain is a mind-gun, loaded each morning with spell-bullets. Minor spells, called cantrips, infest the wizard's soul and bind to it. You can imagine them as extra, mutated limbs, except stuck to the soul and not the body. Spells can be bred and trained.

Wizards train in self-delusion, meditation, and other esoteric techniques to modify their own minds to make them more accommodating to spells, and to tap into the raw magic that suffuses the world. A wizard's mind is a dangerous place. For every 10 students who enter the grand College of Elderstone, only 3 emerge alive and sane.

It takes 1hr to move any number of spells from your brain to or from a scroll, spellbook, or wand.

To cast a spell, select a number of MD, roll them, and add the numbers together. Most spells depend on the number of [dice] invested and the [sum] they show. If you roll doubles, see the Mishap section. If you roll triples, see the Doom section.

Dice that roll 1-3 return to your casting pool and can be used again that day. Dice that roll 4-6 are removed from your casting pool for the day. Your spells return at sunrise to last location they were imprisoned, when the octarine light of the sun touches the world and infuses Creation with an extra boost of raw magic. Your MD return if you get a good night's sleep. If you didn't sleep well, you can Save for each MD to have them return to your pool anyway.

Spellbooks

A solid volume, with thick vellum pages and a sturdy cover. Each school produces its own style. Inside, special runes and symbols trap spells inside cages of crystalized thought. Each book contains 10 spell slots. Some spells must be stored across several pages for safety, so the books contain more than 10 pages, and have plenty of room for notes, ledgers, or sketches. Spellbooks start in a waterproof, acid- and fire-resistant bag. Outside the bag, they are not waterproof. They are flammable. And they are also valuable - each book is worth 10gp even if it contains no spells.

Scrolls
A page from a spellbook, effectively, but with some extra magic built in. If you cast a spell from a scroll, you can choose to burn the scroll. If you do, add +1 MD to your roll. This MD does not return to your pool. A blank scroll is worth 1gp.

Wands
Wants are like scrolls, but customized for quick use, concealment, and rapid deployment. A wand has a number of "charges", or banked MD. You can spend these MD when you cast a spell from a wand, but you can't add in your own MD. These MD do not return to your pool (or the wand's pool). It takes the standard 1hr to load a spell from your brain or spellbook into a wand. You can choose, when you move a spell, to also invest 1MD into the wand. You can only do this once per day, and you take d6 damage from the strain. The MD invested in the wand is permanently added to the wand's charge. Most wands can only accept 4 banked MD and 1 spell. Larger wands, called staves, can hold up to 6 banked MD and up to 3 spells. Wands are traditionally made from the wood of lightning-struck trees.

Identifying Magic
Wizards can naturally smell magic in the air. By tasting, rubbing, or closely inspecting an item, you can tell if it is magic. You may need to test the item to determine what type of magic. You can test Intelligence to see if you can learn anything else about the item without testing it.

Mishaps
If you roll doubles while casting a spell, roll on your school's mishap table. Unless otherwise specified, the spell still works. Magic is dangerous; this was just a hiccough or misfire.

Dooms
If you roll triples while casting a spell, one of your school's Dooms takes effect. Each school has 3 dooms. The third doom is invariable fatal or worse. All wizards walk a dangerous path. The burn their soul like a candle, and in doing so, court damnation.

And that's it. Thoughts? Does it make sense? What bits are unclear?

>select a number of MD
what is MD?

I would make it clear:
>You gain +1 Magic Die (MD) and +1 Spell Slot...

> select a number of MD, roll them, and add the numbers together. Most spells depend on the number of [dice] invested and the [sum] they show. If you roll doubles, see the Mishap section. If you roll triples, see the Doom section.
What happens if you roll quads?

>A wand has a number of "charges", or banked MD. You can spend these MD when you cast a spell from a wand, but you can't add in your own MD.
Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo

Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?

>Spells are creatures. Angels, demons, spells, enchantments, ghosts...
>A wizard's spellbook is a prison or a menagerie...
>Wizards train in self-delusion, meditation, and other esoteric techniques to modify their own minds...
Flavor text could go before or after the class presentation, not in the middle, as it makes it easier for reference

One of the reasons I prefer White Box is that when you tell people that you're going to play with the LBB's, there's lots of questions about supplements. You end up having to set more ground rules.

>Are we using Chainmail? Outdoor Survival? Is it set in Greyhawk?

White Box is a bit more self explanatory, and it's a cleaner presentation. Mechanically? Both are fine. It's all derivative from the same base.

Thanks guys.
>what is MD?
Defined earlier in the class
>You gain +1 Magic Die (MD) and +1 Spell Slot...
Identical line is included in the... bit I didn't copy here. >_<

>Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo
Ehhh, I'm not convinced yet, but I'll think about it.

>What happens if you roll quads?
Just a regular Doom, as-written. I'd personally run it as a very severe, worst-case-scenario Doom. Doesn't seem worth making rules for.

>Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?
Yup.

>Flavor text could go before or after the class presentation, not in the middle, as it makes it easier for reference
Not entirely sure I agree, but it's certainly debatable. The system is so darn simple that, once read once, it rarely needs to be referenced again. Even my new, non-video-game players got it right away.

"Supplements are bad, you were only supposed to use Outdoor Survival for the map, and does this look like a map of Greyhawk to you?"

also lol,
>using chainmail combat

>Does rolling triples banked in a wand or staff trigger a doom?
>Yup.
What if you aren't a wizard, but a fighter wearing magical robes? What doom would you get?

It might be extra work when creating them, but it would be cool if each wand had its own unique doom.

That would be a lot of work, and since the dooms are tied to your soul, not your tools, it'd be weird too.

You don't need magical robes in this version. You just use the MD banked in the wand.

I'm rewriting it so that, if you aren't a spellcaster and you use a wand, you get Mishaps from the wand's creator's/owner's/recharger's school, but if you get a Doom, it's the Third Doom of that school (and fatal).

Haven't read the above yet, because I was busy doing this.
I'll go read that now. Not sure how relevant this is anymore.

The wand casts fist on you.

>For every 10 students who enter the grand College of Elderstone, only 3 emerge alive and sane.
How many graduate?

>How many graduate?
Now, see, you're one of the ones paying attention. Good work. You are going to go far.

>You may need to test the item to determine what type of magic. You can test Intelligence to see if you can learn anything else about the item without testing it.
*You may need to use the item (or test Intelligence) to determine the type of magic.

>Just call it charges, make it less confusing imo
I would advise the opposite. Drop the word "charge" to make the mechanics clearer.

Yes, but for the wand or staff. Which, as trees struck by lighting, are themselves wizards.
Presumably, you have to take care of wands and staves like houseplants so they won't die.

>you have to take care of wands and staves like houseplants so they won't die.
Come to think of it, you probably have to do the same for apprentices.

>Which, as trees struck by lighting, are themselves wizards.
Trees struck by lighting that survive become wizards. Dead ones, or wizard trees you kill, become useable for magic wands. Carve a dead dragon into armor and swords. Carve a dead wizard tree into wands, spellbook covers, walking furniture...

Exactly.

>White Box is a bit more self explanatory, and it's a cleaner presentation.
That's a fair cop. I pity the fool who even considers not using Chainmail combat, though. It's so obviously superior it's not even funny.

>Spells are creatures.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Wizards to shamans, cucking them without having any magic of their own is pretty lame tbqh.

>Swords are objects.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Fighters to tool-users, cucking them without having any claws of their own is pretty lame tbqh.

>Clerics follow gods

And dropped.I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Clerics to god-botherers, cucking them without having any powers of their own is pretty lame tbqh.

>Player characters are sentient beings
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing the play agent to a cutout stand-in, cucking them without allowing them to play primal forces of natural is pretty lame tbqh

>Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Jews to merchants, cucking them without having any intrinsic wealth is pretty lame tbqh.

>Objects obey gravity
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing objects to mere weight, cucking them without having any levitation of their own is pretty lame tbqh.

>Hirelings are creatures.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Characters to individuals, cucking them without having any amalgamate form is pretty lame tbqh.

>Things are

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing things to exist, cucking them with acknowledgement is pretty lame tbqh

The jagged sensation rippled up through my spine. The bullet had slipped in through my back, and I felt my body go slack. I had a lingering sense that every inch of flesh was going numb, even as a cold sweat started. I heard my own voice cry out, pathetic and jumbled.

The man who held the revolver stepped out in front of me as I slumped forward. He watched as my body - still in the middle of a spasm - pressed forward and began to slip into the gap between my chair and desk.

"Money can be exchanged for goods and services."

Mrs. Turnley, economics 101. The flashback felt out of place as I stared into the barrel of that death-dealing weapon.

"Money can be exchanged for goods and services."

It was a universal law, bubbling up to the forefront of my thoughts. I did not fear death. I could feel the weight of that immutable principle bearing down on me in. Money. Exchanged. Goods and services.

I could hear my voice proclaiming this fact loudly, spittle clinging to my lips and chin as I shouted this truth to the world. Even as the hired gun pulled the trigger, all I could think of was that Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

>Rolling for damage.
And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this system. Reducing players to gamblers, cucking them without having any control over the game is pretty lame tbqh.

>Adventures eat rations.

And dropped. I don't know why anyone uses this fluff. Reducing Tomb Robbers to pack mules, cucking them without letting them stay in the murder hole forever is pretty lame tbqh.

Gems for XP.
paperspencils.com/2012/01/15/gary-gygax-the-jeweled-man-and-letting-your-players-fail/

So anyway we got any ideas on how much moola "the third door on the right is trapped don't open it" is worth yet?

The reason I care about this btw is it seems like if you had a megadungeon so big multiple adventuring parties were going into it there would develop a market for information about the dungeon and I thought that sounded kind of neat but had no idea how to assign market values to rumors so here I am.

>download and read Keep on The Borderlands.
Mentions a cleric character who is called a curtator and wont bless anyone not following his faith
>see module in store
>curtator is now a priest and will bro out with you, wont talk religion at all and heals anyone

What the fuck? Whats the reasoning for this? This is the 1981 print.

The priest and curate are different npcs. Keep reading.

If you screencap any random (plain) dungeon off donjon.bin.sh, you can select a borderless tile in MSPaint and copy/paste it into a new image file, or just select around it and crop everything else. Then when you want to make a map, bring up that tile png and copy-paste your way to freedom.

Last thread suggested s&w white box for beginner osr. What's different about white box and core, and what's different between the different editions in the trove?

What's the ideal ratio of empty to monsters to loot to traps to tricks in your opinion?

>le I copy ur post and change a word to male fun of you xd

Nice same fag. I don't give two shits if you meme me, but it changes nothing. Wizards who have magical creature spells have fundamentally different fluff and 'feeling' then Wizards who don't. It changes Wizards from being inscrutable masters of magic and supernatural force to little more then rangers with magic 'spell' pets. I used the word cuck very intentionally, the magic user isn't doing anything on his own. He's a pathetic, shitty weakling that's just having much more interesting and powerful creatures live in his head. I'm not the only person to dislike it, and for good reason.

pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/

Click "favorite" at the top and change it to "Oldschool D&D" or "Black & white", draw your maps.