/nwg/ - Naval Wargames General

Row, Ya Bastards edition

Talk about botes, bote based wargaming and RPGs, and maybe even a certain bote based vidya that tickles our autism in just the right way.

Games, Ospreys and References (Courtesy of /hwg/)
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming

Rule the Waves
mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI

Previous Thread
So, /nwg/, do you prefer periplous or diekplous?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/yZDSn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_bow
mediafire.com/file/712ya5z1pybep3h/Ship Shapes (1942).pdf
marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/different-types-ships-sterns/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern#Cruiser
youtube.com/watch?v=dtn0PuxgfkM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Showbote a cute

Periplous. Less dramatically successful, perhaps, but more flexible and you're not as fucked easily hard-countered as the diekplous.

This is a sail thread, leave your ugly grey and smokey shits out of it for once.

>sail

Man the only way to propel a ship is through the exertions of thickly-muscled and virile free men.

There, now you've made the SMS Kaiser cry.

>and all it did was end the Age of Sail on a high note
>partially dismasted leaking hulk and most beautiful thing on the water both

This isn't quite relevant, but do drydocks really help with speed when it comes to building/maintaining a fleet?

My fellow gentleman of Nubian descend.

Modern day? Drydocks are essential for maintenance. Otherwise instead of 50 dudes with power tools scraping and repainting your hull its 4 divers with chisels.

Bitch I roll coal where I want

I got too many images to post, so here they are:
imgur.com/a/yZDSn

Mind that it's mostly ancient and up to XV, XVI century ships.

Gorgeous.

Galleys had sails. Deal with it.

Better than the WWII shitpiles at least.

Well yes, you could use the sails. If you were a filthy Germanic

Don't hate the player, hate the game

If you only like those junkpiles you don't belong in /nwg/ you belong in /fagswhohaveuglyboatfus/

Long time lurker here, and after over a year and a half writing my (as yet incomplete) thesis on the origin of the Commonwealth Naval Forces I've come down hard with a desire to actually build and fight with all these ships that have been progressively taking over my life. So what are the best rules for Naval Warfare 1900-1918?

Also does anyone else agree with the idea postulated by Liesle Rose that of the Hochseeflotte had left port and tried to interdict the Channel in June 1914 it could have successfully kept the BEF from landing in France and helped German win the War? Ever since I read that little theory it's been sitting in my head.

Lieb vaterland, magst ruhig sein
Die Flotte schläft im Hafen ein

You just mad because you can't exceed 10 knots

What're you looking for? Crazy simulationism? Easy rules? A balance of both?

Leaning towards the more complicated side, if only because I'm hoping to convince my supervisor to join in. But if there's a good balance I'd be happy to use that.

There's Naval War; it's a pretty good starting balance. Check the last thread for the site link.

Oh wait a second, I derped. You're looking for WWI, not WWII.

Ah, there's Age of Dreadnoughts, if you can find it.

>Pinin' for the fjords

Pre-dreads a qt

hello i am bote

I've heard the popovkas weren't as awful at seakeeping and gun stability as often portrayed, despite the shorter-than-a-flaccid-cock freeboard.

So what naval games do you have in your collection? I have 3rd Fleet and PQ-17.

There's also Empire of the Sun and Conquest of Paradise, both with strong naval themes.

I'd lay her guns.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

Try GQ3 Fleet Action Imminent, or Grand Fleets, both are available for perusal in the OP mediafire.

An user pointed out earlier that we didn't post enough models, I'll dump some from a commission modeller that does age of sail stuff, since the fluyt fondlers are out today in force. I like age of sail stuff too, but I disagree that my lifeless smoke belchers are ugly.

I love botes!

Bismark was a shit bote. Get over it.

I'd love to do Age of sail but the rigging would make me want to kill someone. So I stick with my modern-ish stuff.

Is that a galley with mostly centerline guns in the background?

What the fuck am I looking at

Steel Ocean's version of one of North Carolina-class's preliminary studies if I remember correctly.

North Carolina Proposal, Plan B.
Speed, armor, 9x14 inch guns.

Motherfucking Freedom Boats.

More a fan of the Tosa myself. Or as I like to call it, Nagato++

>everyone else was either moving towards triple/quad turrets or had already adopted them
>ijn still clung on to double ones

Cute.

And then the British gave the last battleship ever laid down double turrets.

>dataft.jpg
Love me some cruiser stern.

That's a battleship user. This is a cruiser.

For anyone else that is wondering about the reasons for using inverted prows, have a read: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_bow

No user, that's what that particular shape of stern is called.

mediafire.com/file/712ya5z1pybep3h/Ship Shapes (1942).pdf

marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/different-types-ships-sterns/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern#Cruiser

I will be damned.

youtube.com/watch?v=dtn0PuxgfkM

And here we have the X Bow, the new hotness. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of these.

Needs more tumblehome. A slightly less ugly ship than Zumwall though, at least.

I kind of like the Zumwall. Reminds me of the pyramid space ships of Stargate.

I could believe there are evil hitler snake aliens behind some of the stupider shit going on in Washington right now.

That was because they had so many spare turrets and guns laying around, they could rush a new BB into production despite wartime constraints.

Vanguard wasn't really hampered by the turrets, in fact it was notable that she had almost no teething problems.

That's what happens when you use a design you have several decades of experience with.

Guess that is one of the advantages that comes with using refurbished WW1 turrets&guns.

Remove goold

I'm gonna have to upload all the 3rd party conversions I have for Babylon 5: A Call To Arms. There was a pretty good Stargate one someone had posted on the shitweasel's forums a long time ago. Pretty fun BSG and Star Trek ones too.

Goddamn Iowa Class BBs are among the sexiest military botes ever devised by mankind.

Hull forms optimized for speed (even if at some slight detriment to seakeeping) do have a way of catching the eye in a pleasing manner.

The Battle of Lissa was by far the most metal thing to ever happen on the ocean. There really needs to be a movie about it.

>OPfK or OPf(K)
>Obus de Perforation dispositif 'K'. APC with dye bag. Unlike many nations, French APC dye shells included a nose fuze and a small explosive charge to disperse the dye. This made it possible to not only color the shell splashes but also to color hits.

>mfw the fucking Frenchies didn't just shoot your ship full of holes, they made it so they splattered gaudy paint everywhere too

hon hon hon~

Are there any naval wargames that specifically focus on the general era of 1860-1890 or thereabouts?

BROADSIDE OR PINTLE/MORTAR

CHOOSE YOUR SIDE

I choose BOMB KETCH!

Ironclads are love.

The design was a result of post-Crimean War treaty restrictions on Russian naval assets in the Black Sea. Russia was limited to a few corvettes and had to dismantle all naval shipyards. The Popovkas exploited a loophole allowing defenses for the Kerch straits and Dneipr estuary. They worked very well when you consider the treaty restrictions.

Far too much technological improvement in all aspects of design occurred during that period for one rules set to handle.

A system which successfully models the 1890 Victoria/Sans Pareil class battleships would model the 1860 Warrior class armored frigates as a slow moving targets.

Guns, armor, engines, searchlights, torpedoes, the advances are so great and so widespread you might as well ask about a wargame which deals with air combat between 1920 and 1950.