Old-school OD&D/AD&D art thread

Old-school OD&D/AD&D art thread.

Name that supplement/adventure/novel!

always loved that one

>Imma smack you with this pidgeon!

WTF am I staring at?

OH SHIT SKELEMUGGING

whats the name of that one picture of the completely like midnight black warrior dude on a horse with an axe and shield?

I'll take Boris Vajelo for 500, please.

I really miss high-quality line art.

She a CUTE

That would be Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer.

see, this is the kind of aesthetic i like in fantasy. not too detailed and complex like high fantasy, but no one is running around in nothin but a loincloth like conan

I see you are a man of culture aswell.

The illustration is from the Birthright campaign setting. The entire setting has a fantastic aesthetic. It's grounded but adds just enough flair to be recognizable as fantasy. Arms and armor are practical, true spellcasters and magical items are few and generally more subtle. (Only Regents, those with divine bloodlines, can be Wizards or Clerics. Among the common folk, mages are more like Rogues with very limited spell options.) The monsters are MONSTROUS, yet curiously mundane -- after all, they are largely just men and women twisted into obscene and terrifying forms.

What I'm saying is that you have good taste and someday I would like to run a Birthright-style campaign using a better system than 2e or any edition of D&D.

I think that specific figure is the Cold Rider, or maybe the Magian. No idea what he's doing holding up those folks, though.

That sounds really fucking nice. Low-fantasy in Medieval European settings is the best.
Technically this picture pre-dates D&D but whatever, it looks good and it's old.

>that filename
You can't just make me laugh like that, asshole.

It's low fantasy, but the rulers of realms literally have the blood of gods flowing through their veins. Magic, true magic, belongs only to those blooded few. Mystical sources dot the land that attract those with true magic, the purest lie in elven woods guarded by their hateful archers.

It's a cool setting, includes Anuire (more classic Medieval Europe), Khinasi (arabic/persian people and region), Brechtur (dutch and german sailors, much held by the Gorgon, one of the big bads of the setting), Vos (eastern europeans who have mostly descended into barbarism, once slaves of an evil god), and Rjurik (norse). The elves and dwarves of the setting are a bit different than usual, and the halflings are VERY different than usual. Definitely worth a look, even if you'll never play it.

>guys, hold up. i have this strange feeling we're being watched.

that's like 4 different spellfire cards

darksun, not even once

Probably one of my favorite ones.

>be such a righteous dude and strong warrior you can go to hell and still make the demons run away in fear

>yfw this is the first time you notice one of those demons actually is running away

>Bases PC's armor off the dude in lower right
>"Guys, stop calling me Boba Fett!"

Ah, Frederic Leighton, back when artists still had skill and a sense of beauty. Not like the ugly hacks of today.

I agree. Where did you find that pic? I got the ones I have saved from Wikipedia.

I love the detail of the mail and armor in his stuff.

>coif with no padding
Ouch

Pinterest, I think, sorry don't remember.

Oh, and Google Art Project has some.

I think you're mixing up Frederic Leighton and Edmund Leighton. Thanks, though.

That looks like a Tocot from Farscape. Did Brom design this for the show?

Editions change

I still run Greyhawk games, the setting has such a good aesthetic.

Does Amano count?

This illustration was right next to a DMG rant on why monster races can't and shouldn't be PCs

I wonder what Gygax thought of 3e giving monsters class levels?

Anyway, here's more Trampier.