/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"I used a new picture, fags" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought? What did the GM do to make it more than just a normal enemy of its type?

Has anyone thought about running a game during the Indomitus Crusade? It seems interesting to have the imperium at a low point trying to retake territory rather than trying to keep what they have.

As for OP. Hardest had to be a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch in Deathwatch.

>What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought?
Group attrition.

Isn't the Achilus Crusade something like that?

Story time?

Oh I just understood you meant IRL. RIP

>running a game during the Indomitus Crusade?

kys nucanon not true canon

>I don't like change in my setting so I'm going to call it not canon

Gee user, I wish I was as autistic as you are!

>I want a setting, whose whole purpose is to not change, to change

Listen, sport, I'm sure you really loved Dawn of War and all them newfangled vidya games, but we have a universe here that's being destroyed by you Timmies who want to turn 40k into the Avengers. Go find another setting to kill.

>Has anyone thought about running a game during the Indomitus Crusade?

I don't think there's enough information for something like that, yet. We know it lasted 112 years, we know Bobby G created a full Legion of Primaris for it, we know he split those guys up into successors after it, and we know it was on both sides of the Rift. If you're turning it into an Only War game, then it can work, it would be business as normal but fighting alongside Guilliman every so often. There's still too little info on the Primaris to make any judgement calls on them though.

>implying I also like the change

I don't like it either, doesn't mean it's not canon.

>Chaos, mankind's greatest enemy, has been characterized as an inevitably unstoppable force since the beginning.
>Chaos does something bad to the Imperium.
>This is considered change.

What was wrong with the old pictures? They're pretty iconic, I used them to introduce new players to the game.

>be Psyker
>suddenly pick up a Shuriken Pistol and a Soulstone through sidequest shenanigans

Wat do?

Destroy both with flame.

I think the main "change" people don't like is primaris marines.
Hell, I like the look but not the fluff.

So far, when players have found soulstones, they either smashed them, ate them because they were delicious candy, or some combination of both. You know what you must do.

I'm less upset that change occurred as upset at how they happened and what the changes were.

Things like primaris, Bobby G returning, ham fisted way Cadia was destroyed, the abortion that was Tyrannic invasion of Baal, the "all previous black crusades were secretly victories with special secret objectives that the main theme of the crusades had nothing to do with though these were never mentioned once in previous lore", adding a Deus ex Machina man in the form of Cawl, and many others.

Much of this was done as a easy lore excuse to make marketing changes but it was horribly executed and cheapens the already massive and labyrinthine lore that exists. On top of it all we know very little about much of anything that happened beyond gathering storm and the indomitus crusade because instead of focusing on the changes occurring across the galaxy in small tales like they used to we instead just follow Robot Gorillaman around because that's what I haven't got enough of after dozens of HH books from black library: primarchs.

40k was better when it's greatest heroes of old were dead, damned, or lost.

It does open up new opportunities, though. Guilliman created a Legion for himself (for a little while), complete with Legionaries from 30k. He reinstated the Tetrarchs of Ultramar. He's bringing back all sorts of tech, both old and new. It's a great way to treat culture shock - what do you do when your world is suddenly turning into essentially 30k? Some will resist, some will rejoice. It hits both in universe and on a meta level.

Give them to your Inquisitor. These are not toys. Never run with a Shuriken Pistol in your hands.

Why though? It's just another incremental change to the Space Marines. I might be biased because I only play the RPG (my Dark Vengeance box has just been collecting dust in the basement for years now) and they're not relevant to its timeline, but I don't understand the problem.

Isn't that pic the opposite of what happened.
>Hey da-
>OH THANK ME YOU'RE HERE, THERE'S NO ONE COMPETENT AROUND ANYMORE. GET MY EMPRIE'S SHIT TOGETHER NOW.

Yeah but as far as I'm concerned it's not really a change. Saying that what happens in M42 is a change is like saying that what happened in M31 is a change. These are just different periods of the same setting, and while M31 and M42 may center on great reconquest and expansions by heroes, the period of ~M32-M41 will always remain our beloved ten millennia of stagnation.

Anyone working on Primaris Deathwatch rules?

Nothing wrong with old pictures. Nothing wrong with new pictures.

Hey Shas. The Grey Slayer Huscarl gets the option to select the Heavy Chainblade for standard wargear but TGTBatAL doesn't have stats for it. What stats should it be using champ?

creating character arcs for my players and am stuck with what to do with my administorum player. this is DH2 if that matters

their achievments.
>helped put a guy in the position of planetary govenor after dispatching the old one who was a servant of slannesh with the party
>First to learn about the existence of daemons from the inquisitor
>singlehandedly destroyed a defiler with a fucking heavy bolter because they were in point blank range and had prescience cast on them.
>is otherwise a total bitch and fails pretty much every fear check he makes

so what should I have for his main arc ?

Make him into not a bitch.

Use it as my new Psy Focus when my current one inevitably gets destroyed?

That sounds like a Bad Idea.

This sounds like a better idea.

Manipulate the governor in order to prevent mass awareness of daemons on the planet. Make him feel the weight of that burden of knowledge.

Can you guys help me pitch 40k to normies? They're already in my trap (IE PCs in my game), I just need to convince them to enjoy this grimdark shithole.

So, I'm kind of over the idea that full auto attacks are wildly inaccurate. Accuracy by volume should be a thing.

I'm running a Deathwatch game and think I'm going to change the modifiers for standard, semi-auto, and full auto attacks to 0/0/+10 respectively, but make them all half actions like in Only War.

Have you ever shot a firearm before? I'm just curious.

Sell soulstone to Imperial noble to have money shitted into your hands, or hand over to Eldar to win their respect, or dark eldar to be best Baes

Yup. Never a fully automatic one though.

I need help with this too. My plan is to get all sorts of shenanigans and badass side-characters for the players to meet to help engage them into the game a bit more. Try to leave some sweet memories of 40k.

In the grimdark grimdark of the grimdark grimdark, there is only grimdark and death.

Interesting

Usually, making jokes about it is the only way to get the normies. See the peasants in Monty Python and the Holy Grail for a good example.

Any /k/ people able to confirm which of the systems is the most accurate, once and for all?

What languages should space marines be literate in at character creation in Deathwatch?

That reminds me of when the fucking nerd in Black Sails ripped out someone's throat when his glasses got knocked off during a boarding action. I looked at one of my fellow players watching with me and said "that's why you don't fuck with the Sage."

Page 37

Indiana Jones will always remain my favorite bad-ass nerd.

Firing semi auto rapidly is harder to be precise with than taking time and firing one decent shot. Full auto is far more challenging, since you're fighting recoil to do anything and some guns have ludicrous rates of fire with low weight and then you're just fucked (like a full auto Glock). The other side of the coin is that accuracy by volume is a pretty good way to guarantee a hit. I'd rather fire 4 or 5 rounds to get 2-3 hits at 350-450m than take the time to get precise shots I know will connect, but that's more of a time thing than anything else.

I'm a competitive shooter, 3-Gun Tactical Iron, and I've been fortunate enough to get to shoot a fair bit of full auto. Going by the rates of fire in the book and ignoring the rules for aiming for the moment, your character is not a total retard when it comes to shooting. They've limited your FA to a decent burst, basic but easy to forget if you're not used to FA.

ROF rules are fine by me, but I'm a little confused about the rules regarding aiming. I've always thought it odd that your character is never really aiming unless you tell them to. Are they point shooting otherwise? I only point shoot while up close and on the move, so maybe it's a training thing. Maybe they don't teach you to get a good cheek weld in the future or maybe they don't know how to shoot with both eyes open or something.

Basically, all the systems are right for the characters you're making in those systems. Pros go for accuracy by volume, normal dudes try to make every shot count, form is super important, practice makes perfect, etc.

hey have you started recruiting for that only war game you were talking about

In Black Crusade, would you expect Astartes characters that have worked together long enough to repaint their armor to one color?

Are there any rules for Astartes recruitment anywhere?

>In Black Crusade, would you expect Astartes characters that have worked together long enough to repaint their armor to one color?
Depends on the warband. Some might, some might not. Others might even leave the base colours, and draw markings over the top.

What about astartes recruitment? I'm thinking about starting a game where the players are chaos marines with the goal of starting a warband in the Screaming Vortex.

What about it? Yes, they do it.

Should there be rules for it? If so, what would they entail? Can one hypothetically make a chaos apothecary?

Hypothetically? You should start by reading the fluff on the subject - lexicanum & 40k wiki are easy AF if you're on the internet - then ask about that.

I mean, is it mechanically possible. I'm versed in 40k lore but not in Black Crusade rules.

the bestiary doesnt work.

What do you do when there is an issue within your game, but you're probably the only person that has an issue with it.

To explain, one of the other players in our DH2 game is using a sword and shield, and often takes the "defensive fighting" stance pretty exclusively for his fighting style, and then waits to be struck, and uses the Counter Attack talent to hit back. He parries with the shield, and attacks with the sword.

I've pointed it out to him that in order to use the Counter Attack, you have to attack with the same weapon you parry with, and we went back and forth about it, which the crux of the argument is basically whether or not he's getting a +5 to his WS or not.

He thinks it's dumb, and feels that he should get to do it any way. I told him if that's how he feels, he should bring it up with the GM and plead his case. I'm unaware if he's done so, but I still think he should just play by the rules. I no doubt feel that the GM will just let him do it any way though, and other then this one little thing, the entirety of the game has been going amazingly.

Should I just let it go, or should I bring it up the next time he does his trick in combat? I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who actually cares about it.

Besides possibly porting over an astartes character that reaches 100 insanity or corruption from deathwatch, no.

>He thinks ... and feels

Not an argument. You are actually correct by RAW, but if the game is run by feelings, and you're the only one who takes issue, then find a new game. No gaming better than bad gaming.

Could you just port over a narthecium and give him a good medicae skill?

>What do you do when there is an issue within your game, but you're probably the only person that has an issue with it.
Suck it up and deal with it.
>no doubt feel that the GM will just let him do it any way though
Then stop backseat GMing.
>Should I just let it go
Yes.
>or should I bring it up the next time he does his trick in combat?
And stop the game midfight with a rules nitpick and a passive aggressive attitude? Fuck no

Sure.

I'd say let him be. Does it make the game in any way unfair? Does it give him an advantage that diminishes your enjoyment? I don't think so.

Leaving the game isn't really on the table. Like I said, otherwise the game is really great, it's just this one little thing. The group itself has been together for years, but there has been a kind of consistent back and forth between myself and the other player, where a rules interpretation has been slightly skewed, and it's brought up, and we're both left standing there, going "now what." the issue itself is often minor in some fashion, and I find myself always in the same position of "is this a big enough issue to keep pressing it?" most times the issue just sorts itself out in some way or another, so maybe it will this time as well.

Obviously I wouldn't just stop the game. I'd make it known that there's a rules issue, which should be discussed after the game is over. If you were playing with someone who wasn't using the rules correctly, would you just let him do it, or would you point it out? I think you're being a little overly aggressive here man, chill out. If I wanted to be passive aggressive, I would bring it up to the GM while the other person wasn't around. Calm down, sheesh.

Fighting defensively, means anyone attacking him suffers like -10/20 to WS to hit, meanwhile he's gaining the Defensive bonus from the shield, while not suffering the penalties by simply attacking with another weapon. I personally think you can make the case that, that is kind of unfair, even more so since it's his only method of attacking in melee, it's literally the only action he takes.

Idea time: Dark Heresy Silver Tower styled board game. Players select a mini/class and go on a dungeon crawl to purge the unclean. I imagine that there would be one for each class with a unique ability like Tech Priest being able to Repair Machines, or Adeptus Arbites ability to Search giving them rerolls for loot.

Any opinions? I think you could play it on a table top simulator without much problem.

Related question, is It worth It to try and homebrew rules for marines from different legions and chapters for BC?

You could take it a step further and take pieces from...Decent? I think the game is? Where there are different heroes (which can be of the same class) with strengths/weaknesses and you can draw talents or abilities from a deck as you progress through the dungeon crawl.

So basically you're just being an autistic ninny about it and it's not the first thing you've been an autistic ninny about.

I'm thinking a radically simplified version of a character sheet with just the toned down combat stats, and abilities to represent the non-combat stuff. I think each class would get 2 Abilities, and then they'd have tags like in 8th edition/AoS. This would be for interactions like a Void Born would have a different interaction than a Hive World Scum on a space ship when an Event happens. A deck could be neat, and new games like the Dark Souls board game and that FFG Cthulhu game show you can in fact have non-GM'd games.

>select a mini

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Black crusade already has legion rules in the Tomes. Chapters are covered generically by the core archetypes. What more do you want?

Wanting to play by the rules is being autistic now. Ok, I hope you have fun with your freeform roleplaying there champ.

Rules don't matter, it just has to FEEL right :^)

No, you're being an autistic little ninny about it because instead of pointing it out for the GM to make a ruling on whether or not you should abide by RAW or the semi-house rule you've so far run with, you come here and whine about it.

>What is the hardest enemy you've ever fought? What did the GM do to make it more than just a normal enemy of its type?

Unfortunately I've only GM'd Rogue Trader, so from the GM standpoint, the hardest enemy the group fought had to be the Necrons during the first session.
>be running a Rogue Trader game on Roll20 (my first mistake, I know.)
>Group is a Rogue Trader who took power armor as his free requisition, Arch Militant who took an army as his free requisition, a Navigator whose also decked out in Power Armor and a Tech Priest doing tech priesty things.
>Roll up a handful of systems and a few endeavors for each one that they could do.
>One of the systems had Xenos (Other) as the inhabitants of a planet and the planet was a Vast sized planet with Earth-normal gravity and no animal life despite being a temperate world with pure atmosphere.
>Decide on a whim that it's a tomb world.
>Of course the group goes there first.
>It's fine. As long as they keep to the surface, since they would never need to go underground to complete the planetside objective.
>Of course they went in the first cave they find. Ohdeargodwhy.jpg
>Start flipping through my Black Crusade pdfs, since that's where the necron stats are.
>Oh look, Tomb Stalker. Theses guys patrol dormant tombs.
>start making Perception rolls to see how long it takes a Tomb Stalker to notice the party.
>It takes a few hours, but it's on the hunt now boys.
>It erupts into the tunnel the group is in. The group, despite being really big into 40k, decide to stand and fight because, and I quote, "The GM would never send an enemy at us if we couldn't kill it!"
>Of fucking course they can't kill it.
>After the Navigator gets ripped into ribbons, the rest of the group realizes their fuck up and tries their best to outrun the Tomb Stalker, fat chance, back to the surface hoping their Gun-Cutter will be able to provide enough covering fire for them to get aboard and off planet.

The Call to Players is ready, but I'm delaying it for a bit while I sort out some emergency work stuff.

Fuck me sideways. The Heavy Chainblade should be Heavy Chainblade (Melee, 1d10+10R, Pen 6, Tearing, Unbalanced, Two-Handed), same as in MNW. I'll make note to fix the problem when I can. I'll also probably add the Sicaran Punisher while I'm at it, but no re-release for a bit yet.

The rules in the tomes are for traitor legionnaires and are a degree more powerful than archetypes from the main book. I'm thinking of something like the different chapter rules in the Deathwatch splats, where they're more balanced.

Shas, have you ever run Black Crusade? Please regale me with tales of such a game.

Have a group discussion about it where everyone can let their opinion be heard, and let the GM have the final say. That's all

I just want my third edition man :'(

So in the end, did they survive or not?

I was under the impression that (for astartes at least) boltguns are linked to the helmet's HUD kind of like the way it works in the Halo games. They don't need to "aim" per se because there's a computer calculating distance windage trajectory etc. for them, all they have to do is shoot where the armor's machine spirit tells them to shoot.

If this isn't the first time you've brought it up and the GM is letting it slide, he probably doesn't see the value in punishing that player for sword-and-boarding in a reasonably lethal game. And neither do I. It doesn't seem sensible to me that Counter Attack works only with what you Parried with, since it seems natural that your other hand's weapon would be more naturally available to strike while the other is partying. Maybe ask the GM to challenge that character more, like having him face enemies with Inescaable Attack or more ranged fire to maneuver around. But a sword and board doesn't break this game so I think you're being a bit whiny.

Yes, a simple solution to this situation is to use ranged weapons more.

From the 40kwiki: "The Godwyn Pattern [bolter] also possesses an integral targeter that links with the Space Marine's auto-senses for enhanced accuracy."

You are correct.

If they make it in house it'll be a box game with minis.

The tech-priest bit the bullet and the Arch Militant was down to his last wound and the Rogue Trader lost his arm, but they managed to get out.

Needless to say, the group was severely humbled and was a lot more careful from then on. Which I'm glad for because it meant I was able to get the "Yes you're powerful, but you're not invincible" fight out of the way right off the bat.

Well then here's hoping they have those Cubicle 7 people do it, like they are for WFRP. Apparently they did a really good job of making their LOTR RPG's immersive.

I still regret not having one of my players burn a Fate Point on his very first action. He fell into what would be a bottomless chasm, but I just let him get away with a mangled jaw and a permanent Fellowship penalty in formal settings after smashing his face on the other side.

I'm making a Dark Heresy One Ascension Imperial Psyker going into Primaris Psyker for the first time ( I have experience with the other systems) we have been encouraged to make the best characters we can. I'm trying to find out what are all the Psyker Specific alternate ranks are, So far I have found:

Templar Calix, Imperial Diviner, Tainted Psyker, and Theomancer.

Additionally what would be the best Primaris Psyker Ascended trait They all rather lack luster to me, though Untainted Core seems like the worst, and A Ghost in the Warp seems like it could be the best in the right situation while Psychic Solider gives a free action casting of a power which seems useful but with strong restrictions.

I hate Black Crusade. I will never run Black Crusade myself. I have had nothing but sour experiences with it. The only time I touched it since was to throw together a Tzaangor archetype, and that only reaffirmed my dislike of the system.

Needs to sell models

I know you're being facetious, but fundamentally you're not wrong - there's no "right" to play something like TTRPGs and it really depends on what group wants and what DM is like - the goal is to have fun.

I personally run my games rather loosely - it is important to remain consistent and fair, but rules are there to support the game, not be a hindrance. That said, no, you cannot juggle chaos terminators because your STR bonus allows you to lift few tonnes without breaking a sweat.

>no, you cannot juggle chaos terminators because your STR bonus allows you to lift few tonnes without breaking a sweat.

Is It because of the alignment system?

The alignment system, the rewarding of teamkilling, the shoehorning into explicit endgame destinies, and a GM who made it clear he much would have preferred Only War.

I ran Black Crusade a couple of times and figured out ways to make it suck less.

I added Malal in one campaign, just to see how it'd work out. It went OK. The TKing asshole went Malal and the entire party was at each other's throats, but since they didn't trust each other at all it was a tense and fun experience... for me.

Did a campaign where all the PCs were with the same god. No problems there.

Did a game of Black Heresy. All the party is a representative of different Inquisitors in a small spec ops group. Every Inquisitor had different goals and was at a different place on the Radical-Puritan spectrum with one party member being a full on heretic working for a crazy ass Istaavanian. I really like how it went.

So... you hate Black Crusade... because you had a shit GM?

Seconded.
Black Crusade can be pretty awesome if you can avoid the kind of shitcunt who'll turn on their team-mates for minor benefit.

Low-grade backstabbing through conflicting tertiary objectives is fine. But excalations can ruin the entire group, and players should be aware of that.

Fuck off to playing dnd you literal retard

There can be exceptions... One time in a campaign of Black Crusade, me and another fellow Tzeentchian PC betrayed the entire rest of the group in the middle of a battle against a Necron Lord and his pet C'Tan shard, stole the Lord's shard-controlling thingamajiggie, and skedaddled the fuck out of there by way of the Brass Door, which, after the initial disbelief and hilarity, both the GM and the party applauded for the sheer gall we had... Although my PC did die as a payment for the Brass Door's service rendered.

My point is, with a proper party who are there to have fun, Black Crusade can remain a positive experience despite any dickery that unfolds.

>I know you're being facetious, but fundamentally you're not wrong - there's no "right" to play something like TTRPGs and it really depends on what group wants and what DM is like - the goal is to have fun.

>omg u r retard 4 not playing my wai

Not that I would actually allow your example to happen in my game, what an over-reaction.