What themes do you want in Fantasy China besides a bureaucracy, an endlessly overthrowing dynasty, and a big wall?

What themes do you want in Fantasy China besides a bureaucracy, an endlessly overthrowing dynasty, and a big wall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fpkz047b-qU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64
youtube.com/watch?v=RR7q-qf3VSQ
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/09/unique-weapon-of-ming-dynasty-zhu-ge-nu.html
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/09/Ming-Dynasty-crossbow.html
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/field gun
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/siege cannon
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/naval gun
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_city_wall#Effectiveness_against_artillery
historum.com/asian-history/69030-han-dynasty-crossbow.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A focus on the day to day life of the peasant, then building up from there.

Awesome martial arts duels.

Roving sword masters, roving kung fu masters, roving various non-sword masters, roving kung fu monks, the usual.

The buying and selling of hot chinese virgins

Isn't that enough?

>social encounters
>factioning
>alchemy
>barbarians
>actually a kinda diferent folklore for monsters

>Young Boy Eggs

>What themes do you want in Fantasy China

Spirit world interference with the material world.

For example demon spirits inhabiting the bodies of men and influencing their destinies (sort of like Water Margin).

Everyone endlessly keeping up pretenses and trying to save face. The twist is that people will openly acknowledge that that's all they're doing. Sort of like how everyone agrees it's pretty dumb that the man always pays for the first date but you still look like a cheap bastard if you're a guy and don't at least make an earnest offer to pay for the first date.

Lewdness and Taoism.

I thought they were called Virgin Boy Eggs.

Draconian legislation, nobility totally disconnected from reality, peasants viewed as resource not people...

Lu Bu.

Getting down to business to defeat the Huns.

What these dudes said:
Pretty much, take Mortal Kombat and remove anything that would be considered modern-day stuff. Give me a sorcerer who is hosting a tournament with all of the best fighters in the martial world, and have them fight the best fighters in the spiritual world.

The political side of things can be fun too, but I've always been a sucker for martial artists fighting demons, but I'd want rival schools, hidden techniques of qi manipulation, forbidden martial arts, etc.

One of the things that pissed me off about the Iron Fist series is that they insisted on having a bunch of corporate drama but didn't bother to make the corporate drama a stand-in for courtly intrigue.

That fucking show pissed me off so much for a multitude of reasons, but I suppose the most basic reason is that it should've been a wuxia-themed show and it wasn't. The martial arts was barely there, and instead of have to worry about the drama of the Meachems.

The show could've just been exposition, training montages, and martial arts fights and it would've been leagues better than what we received.

I like me some Lu Bu. In fact, throw in all of the RotTK stuff in my Fantasy China.

Eunuchs?

I don't know why they had the brilliant idea of hiring a showrunner who didn't want to make supernatural martial arts series or a superhero series and delaying production so long that the lead actor had barely any time to train or work out and they were having to setup, rehearse, and film scenes within a single day to fit a shooting schedule despite the show being announced years prior.

Here's the list provided by the chink fa/tg/uy.

I do like sorcery.

Immortality elixir
Reclused sages
BECOMING A GOD
River piracy under the flag of some local notable who sold us the right to run his ferry service
Multi-stage missiles
Invading Vietnam and Tibet

Damn that's a good resource.

Thanks for sharing!

reincarnation and karma

Should you wish to take the overlordship, you will yield the Heaven's favor to Cao Cao in the north, and you will relinquish the Earth's advantage to Sun Quan in the south. You, General, will hold the Human's heart and complete the trinity.

Read about some of the really fucking bizarre shit and what must've been apocalyptic seeming wars they had. Keep in mind, 5 of the top 10 costliest wars in terms of death toll in history have been in China. And what's worse is that most of them are pre-modern things like guns, artillery, machine guns. Like the Three Kingdoms war in 184-280 that has a death toll of like 40,000,000. Second only to world war 2. Or the or the An Lushan Rebellion, which was 755-763 with a high water mark of 36,000,000 deaths. Some fucking insane shit happened.

Like the city that was being besieged, and the defenders held on so long that they literally killed and ate most of the population.

or the general who really liked women's feet and had them cut off and presented to him in a pile one time.

Or one of my personal favorites, "he erected in Chengdu a stele, which came to be known as the Seven Kill Stele (七殺碑), with the following inscription:
天生萬物以養人
人無一善以報天
殺殺殺殺殺殺殺
Heaven brings forth innumerable things to nurture man.
Man has nothing good with which to recompense Heaven.
Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill. Kill."

Keep in mind the Chinese like to exaggerate these things, apparently, and some of them are pretty damn old and hard to verify. But if we're going with a fantasy game, they make great inspiration.

Mongols

Hair Politics

I guess chinese men are rarely balding?

not when balding men are put to death for loyalty to the qing no

Cause and effect karma though, not "the universe is silently judging you" karma. Like, loaning someone money is sowing karma and later collecting it with interest is reaping it. Likewise having the debtor end up saving your life on his way to pay back the money would also be reaping that karma. Refusing to let the debt drop after he saves you would be sowing more karma that would likely but not necessarily have a darker effect down the road. Moving to another country would likely sever karma.

People aware of their karma are basically master manipulators who try to ingratiate themselves to the right people at their most vulnerable time, and always seem to know what's going to happen next.

>Sui dynasty
>NO FUN ALLOWED.jpg

We've been watching Three Kingdoms, smugness is needed, all the smug.

From the top of my head:
- everyone being perfectionist preoccupied with being well-educated and well-trained
- cultural unity, encompassing different fantasy races into single culture, just like Han swallowed all the dozens of different groups and made them part of themselves
- hierarchic order, so characters are always uneasy when they need to act on their own and/or against the structure and chain of command

That dynasty lasted for two rulers, after the harrowing effort of putting fragmented tiny pieces of China together and then performing few MASSIVE projects.
So it's less about "modesty is good" and more about "we don't have funds on anything at all, so tighten your belt"

You're welcome!

I sustain to fa/tg/uys everywhere that this movie is the most perfect adaptation of a D&D adventure. It perfectly translates my table. Specially the "1" and "20" moments, and the guy which shouldn't be doing social checks doing it anyway.

>Keep in mind the Chinese like to exaggerate these things
Yeah, sometimes they did have one million(ish) men in the army, but some 90% of them were unarmed camp followers and/or peasants keeping supply lines.

Jade Empire was a good Fantasy China RPG.

The only flaw is not getting to recruit this guy into your team.

>Specially the "1" and "20" moments
pretty much

youtube.com/watch?v=fpkz047b-qU

>So heavily influenced by D&D from the start
REJECTED

Speaking of computer games of this sort I've been interested in one on steam called 'Tale of Wuxia', anyone here played it?

Would buy it but I hear the English translation is dead shonky like.

Liu Bei was such a fucking faggot, even when people shill for him out of story he had both of the legendary strategists on his payroll either one of which was promised to bring victory and control of the land to their master and he still fucked up.

His so-called benevolence is a crock of shit and he is clearly as petty and quick to anger as any other passing warlord.

vs Aztecs?

You know, I'm not too fond of Chinese mythology(I blame the saturation of Chinese-myth-themed MMOs), but I really enjoyed reading background information related to it.

Is "Face" a particularly important thing in all 'asian' countries? And politeness in regards to 'face' involves being as two-faced as possible. Like that little custom in China where one person will offer you something on the explicit understanding that you will gracefully decline the offer just so they look more generous, and if you do the natural thing and accept it makes them very angry?

This is the only theme you need OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

Yep. There are also another elements, like everybody binging up potions before the big fight.

youtube.com/watch?v=RR7q-qf3VSQ

That chink loathes those MMOs and their "regular-rpg-with-chinese-aesthetics", he thinks they force one thing in the other without really using chinese traits.

See , the four posts before the last one.

I dig this genre so here are my two cents on the topic:
-Huge armies.
-Duels between the big shots in those huge armies during a battle or seige.
-Sneaking around missions.
-On the fantasy front I like me some people sized monsters and shape shiftery stuff.

Were repeater crossbows a real thing in ye olde china or were they just an experimental concept that never went anywhere?

Magic system based around the five elements.
Monsters based of Chinese myths.
Dungeons inspired by Asian myths and locations, like a tomb filled with Terracotta Army esque sentient statues.
Classes that fulfill the basic trinity of "Warrior-Wizard-Thief" while being appropriately flavored for the setting.
Meshing Monks and Clerics together.

>Clans running trades and acting like minor nobles.

>Revengance.

>Face is everything.

>Martial arts and some mysticism tied to it being part of everyday life.

>Alchemists going around creating various contraptions.

>Exaggarated descriptions of ''beautifull'' women that end up looking like clowns and the men who finally see them complaining with ''Fuck that blind mans mother who decided to waste paper on describing ugly pigs as women.''

The conflict between Bureaucrats, Merchants and Noble families for authority, wealth and power. Source great tension of the Ming dynasty sprung from this struggle, when merchants grew wealthier than the state, and noble trampled on the states intentions to provide economic support for the peasantry. As wealth grows throughout the dynasty's reign the merchants become wealthy, far wealthier than any of their social superiors, for nobles and bureaucrats (who are also highly respected scholars) can't match them. Decadence grows as government control of the highly managed economy slips. The nobles question their own values, and begin to join the race for conspicuous consumption by extorting their peasant land-tenants. As wealth grows larger, the people grow poorer and the state grows weaker. Peasant rebellion looms over the land

Also cannons an shit are highly underutilized in Not!China settings

Advanced technology like people tend to give the Dwarfs but with chinese style.

Did classic China use alot of cannons? Thought they used their explosive power for rockets, both celebratory colorful festivities and massed rockets used as artillery on the battlefield, and maybe planted bombs?

Euro city walls were relatively thin, and almost totally stone. Chinese walls were super thick and mostly rammed earth/mud brick, so cannons never quite acquired that siege role.

Real, there were many models through a couple milennia. But they weren't machine guns like we usually see them.

The idea from the one I posted was to hip-fire ten poisoned darts very quickly in the general direction of the enemy, kinda hoping one or two would hit skin or a vital area.

Many regular crossbows were also underpowered, using multiple bamboo prods as arms. Some were looted nomad composite bows fixed on a wooden frame.

There were repeating crossbows that fired two bolts at once and bullets.

My personal view is that they were like muskets, a way of making huge amounts of badly-trained conscripts cost-effective. Even in the point that individual accuracy wasn't important, but volume of fire seems to be.

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/09/unique-weapon-of-ming-dynasty-zhu-ge-nu.html
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/09/Ming-Dynasty-crossbow.html

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/field gun
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/siege cannon
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/naval gun
Mind you, they used lots and lots of rockets as well. Check the weaponized shields and rocket basket rolling down hill:
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/search/label/rocket

Like mentions, a recent (Tonio Andrade, 2016) theory is that cannons remained small and anti-personnel because chinese walls couldn't be breached, but they adopted large european-like cannons after seeing them in action. They even created a composite one, with a barrel made of iron and bronze. Even so, they didn't keep up with european gunnery afterwards and ended up completely outgunned by the 1800s.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_city_wall#Effectiveness_against_artillery

Veeky Forums, surpassing both /k/ and Veeky Forums in one thread.

Now I really want to play a system with a "Face Points" mechanic.

The soy they consume is generally fermented beans instead of industrially produced shit that we eat here in the west so no they don't go bald as easily.

The last hairdo is the best.

I love how he absolutely rekd any player who lacked ranged spells or FOCUS!

In fairness most Jiangs are pretty tired of it as well, kind of like the post-tolkien world burnout we've had in the west. Fortunately we're able to swap things up these days.

Did you take the rifle as the reward for defeating him?

That's ironic,considering there was a Qin-Han topknot that was essentially a queue.

>My personal view is that they were like muskets, a way of making huge amounts of badly-trained conscripts cost-effective. Even in the point that individual accuracy wasn't important, but volume of fire seems to be.
The usage of repeating crossbows is overblown.

Military crossbows weren't meant for peasants,they have different draw weights and repeatedly praised for their effectiveness against barbarians(Han and Song dynasty).
historum.com/asian-history/69030-han-dynasty-crossbow.html

Nah.
The gems were more important.

I really hope they make a nonlinear MMO RPG in the style of Jade Empire in terms of animations and martial arts some day.
Shit is so cash.
I think i'll save my self some bucks and buy another copy soon.

You can get better gems elsewhere, but nowhere else in the game can you invite so fine a girl such as Mirabelle to travel by your side.

Exams to the death

>Pretty much, take Mortal Kombat and remove anything that would be considered modern-day stuff.
Mortal Kombat is basically 90's comic books incarnate and has everything a good (or rather, stereotypical) 1990's superhero comic should have; Asian martial arts with the martial arts both being magic and hugely inaccurately represented, Asian somehow not having moved past the 1850's culturally speaking, commandos, cyborgs, ninjas, cyborg ninjas, evil wizards, generic dark lords with scary hats who for all of their supposed power seem mostly to just punch people, undead anti-heroes, evil crime syndicates with incredibly unrealistic levels of resources, demons and Satan figures, a vampire or two, a guy with a single glowing cybernetic eye, everyone constantly getting violently and excessively murdered but ultimately the deaths not mattering because they come right back when the plot requires them too anyway, gore that is basically a parody of violence, men's fashions that seem to revolve around pouches and no shirts, and women's fashiona that revolve around skin tight and butt floss thongs.

Long hair is a whole thing in China.
All hairstyles tend to have LOTS of hair or complex hairdos because your hair came from your parents and therefore wearing it long means you are filial and respect them, which is an important Confucian virtue.
It's why Monks shave themselves bald; it represents you "detaching" yourself from your family to show you are no devoted to the Buddha.

The Mongols attacking.

Do you pursue?

Gotta have dat opium, OP.