Why are you currently on your phone at the table instead of paying attention?

Why are you currently on your phone at the table instead of paying attention?

Because digital dice rollers and character sheet apps are a thing.

If players aren't paying attention and looking at their phones, the problem isn't the phones.

I'm going through a friend's Fallout system and checking it for errors. Seems good so far.

Because you haven't made the game engaging enough for me, so I'm on my phone not engaging myself in the game.

Seriously, just ban electronics at the table in person. Sure, set the phone on vibrate and just keep it in your pocket, that's reasonable, but if you have to call or text, excuse yourself from the table and come back when you're ready to give your undivided attention to the group and the game. You'll find that the disconnection from media will actually relax you, and you'll have a much better time engaging with everyone.

No, this is a bullshit argument. The table should be the one place you can disconnect from everything and hang out with your friends. I'm not opposed to technology at the table, but the whole "I'm only on my phone because you're not interesting enough" is just circular logic put out by lazy, rude players that can't fully invest their time or attention in other people.

Because it's an immersive VR campaign. Get with the fucking times.

I'd imediatly tell them to cut that shit out and pay attention or leave. Luckily it never came up, but why the fuck would anyone stay if they are not enjoying it?

>t. Luddite grandpa

Right, right, right. Because putting down your phone for a few hours to genuinely socialize with people who are supposed to be your closest friends sounds incredibly difficult and torturous.

Actually, sadly enough, it probably does. They've actually gone and diagnosed Smartphone Separate Anxiety... assigned a name to the unease of not feeling your phone in your pocket or hand and knowing you could be getting a call or text or notification. Give it a few years, we'll have a strain of neurosis that takes this addiction to it's logical conclusion. I fully expect a baseball bat and/or cannibalism to be involved.

when you have socialphobia you get the opposite effect, not wanting to be near your phone because the ringing makes you panic.

Because I'm not playing right now. I'm at work I hate but can't afford to drop, so I'm just trying to survive till the end of my workday.
OH GOD HELP ME I'M DYING HERE

Because I can text and listen/talk at the same time. People who whine about phones are either playing with bastards who are completely absorbed in something else during the game or they're just old.

Got my spells on my phone

I've been in groups where other players were watching a movie, looking up rules errata, or playing an MMORPG during the game.
that shit is disrespectful to both the GM and the other players. knock it the fuck off

Why are you namefagging?

>looking up rules errata
What's wrong with that?

Hang in there, chief

Thanks. Trying to.

I'm on the phone because I'm at work.

If a player is on the phone at the table, I skip his turn.

I am paying attention, but am taking advantage of a momentary lull in the game to order pizza for the group.

Because my players take for-fucking-ever to make a single goddamn decision. They can't tell, anyway, with the screen in the way.