Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Blueberries BTFO edition.

>FAQ (New FAQ), Tau Tears Edition:

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old crap
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>List Builder
Deader than Aun'va.

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

So what really changed with today's errata? I can see some complains here and there.
For Tau all that changed was shield drone nerf, I think technically Longstrike and Ghostkeels got buffed

First for and fielding ten units of one boy.

WHY DID GW NERF THEM Veeky Forums
WHY

ork klan Watch us soar!

What happened with the shield drone?

xth for 8pt 1w acolytes are bullshit

So can someone explain to me what the lore is on Ork clans?
From what I've read there are only the six clans, and everything else is a tribe. So no more custom clans?

Ynnari rules were changed so that you can now field detachments of non ynnari units with them.

That's the biggest deal I think, besides the tau drone thing.

Tell that to my fucking starcannons!!!

Now they're a glass cannon rather than a dedicated melee unit. I'm kind of disappointed as well.

New thread, excellent. This way my questions won't immediately fall off thanks to hitting the bump limit.

I'm curious about getting into 40K. I have a friend who plays 40K and is really excited about the new edition. But when I was talking with him about it the other night, I didn't get around to asking him how someone might get started.

So, is there somewhere someone brand new to the game could learn about all the different armies to help pick a place to start? And what is the bare minimum to get in a game, even a very small-scale game?

They're useless for soaking wounds from infantry and suits.

Double dipping confirmed

What do you mean you don't want to pay 18 points more for 12", -3 AP on all wounding rolls instead of just 6s, and 2 less shots?

Fuck it, shuriken cannons all the way.

there's a decent sized community of Tabletop Simulator players for 40k. You can try before you buy (or never buy).

1d4chan gives awful tactical advice, but does have okay summaries of each army.

Drones when saving take a single mortal regardless of the damage and do not make a save.
This impacts shield drones cause they are useless now since they cant attempt a save when savioring
This makes gun drones strictly superior, same cost but has double pulse carbines

The Yncarne and Avatar of Khaine in the same army! Get fucked, bitches!

They didn't because in a special safe space known as an user's retarded brain he gets to supercede FAQ purely because he paid money for a rulebook and any accompanying indices. So if you go and buy the books you can nitpick which rules you like and which you dont, because you paid money for them. Hell, go on ebay and buy a 1st ed rulebook somewhere. Because you paid money for that, you can use those rules too!

I'm tinkering with a primaris lieutenant, trying different heads and conversions.

What are the loadouts these days? I want them to still be usable.

Power sword and plasma pistol? Power fists? or is it just default equipment only?

>Longstrike and Ghostkeels got buffed
Nani?

The old way of bare bones was 2 Troop choices and 1 HQ. I would try that or get one of those start collecting boxes + a troop of your choice.

As for learning about races, play Dawn of War. Browsing the GW site would be a good way to get an idea too.

>If a model is equipped with 6 scything talons

Based off what I read
Supposedly Longstrike buffs himself now, giving BS 2+ even when moving.
And Ghostkeel drones now benefit properly from stealthing

Who said guardian spam was a good idea?

>Yet Trygons + HTs with 2+ Talons only get +1 attack
retarded GW is retarded

You need 1hq 1 troop for a patrol.
that + whatever is probably a better start. No reason to give people irrelevant advice.

I'm honestly more interested in lore and painting than how factions play.

>Astartes assault squads storming the lines with all dual chainswords
>Death Company squads armed with dual power weapons

In the name of the fucking God-Emperor

There all sorts of clans all of over the place, it's just that the 6 major ones are the biggest by far. But WAAAGH!s of none major clans have happened before, and non-major clans own all sorts of territory.

Noice. Bought 2 ghostkeels so im excited.

power weapons don't give you extra attacks.

There are as many klans as chapters as you want but then there are the main klans.

Goffs are no nonsense and best in a fight
Deff skulls are all lootas and mechaniks
Blood axes are smartest and most tactical
Evil suns are expert pilots and love going fast.
Bad moons grow the most teeth and are thus the wealthiest
Freebooters are space pirates

j-just wait for the codex!!! t-they'll fix iiiiiit!

Get lost in a wiki then. Pick one army to read about first, and if it seems interesting to you, keep reading it. Otherwise move onto a new army.

1d4chan and Lexicarnum are both okay for fluff.

Beasts of Nurgle or Chaos Spawn, /40kg/?

Yep, this FAQ had a few outright "yes, we know how we wrote the rules, no, shut up, do it this way we won't change the wording to something that can be played as it's written (because we're too fucking stupid to without fucking it up again)" moments.

Same shit goes for the Battlewagon shit. Why did you bother to write the rule about open-topped transports and their special rules if you're just going to say "it doesn't work" on one of the most obvious, simply play-as-read instances of it in this edition so far?

OK, even some of this terminology goes over my head. I take it an HQ is some kind of leader that every army has to have and a troop is a group of models that share stats?

Alright I can live with just dual chainswords. I can fucking live with that.

Wow, that's awful. What are people even going to with their shield drones now? Tarpit?

Nice to see you totally didn't get upset over it, huh?

They only changed stealth drones so they don't stack.

>Our electro-priest sale did not go well, you need to buy more of these gay stormcasts.

>t.Game Workshop.

They're not "glass cannon", being glass cannon they need to be actually scary, they're just a turd that can move slightly faster.

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU FORGET THE SNAKEBITES!

hoooo boy!

>tarpit
Exactly. You can still deepstrike drones directly into combat, skipping overwatch, with homing beacons.

So Khorne Berserkers could attack 8 times a turn.

My Seraphim could take 2 S3 d3 6" flamers

Or

Two fucking melta guns

Hhhrrrmmmm

>handflamers to d3

Why?

Each unit in 40k has a battlefield role, being HQ, Elite, Troop, Fast attack, Heavy support, Lord of War and Fortification.

When you make an army, you organize units into detachments which have slots you need to fill with certain battlefield roles.

The battlewagon thing makes sense to me.
It says you get it's modifiers and penalties or whatever but not it's special rules.

Play Horus Heresy then.

that battlewagon faq was fucking infuriating

Oh right, the retarded cosins of da more modern, right finking Ork.

I don't think berzerkers can take dual chainswords.

Wyches and reavers everywhere! How'd everyone's projects go this weekend?

Can confirm, am undefeated as Ynnari.

Spawn, Nurgle beasts suck now

WHY DID YOUR EMPEROR DO THIS TO ME, KHARN?!

correct, they could do axe/sword but it isn't much better than sword/pistol.

What are you opinions on Primaris Marines?

I like them and I will build a Primaris Army but at the same time I really don't think GW needed to redesign for bigger marines. Or at least they should have been honest and said "these are the new marine kits, the old ones are being discontinued."

I guess I just appreciate it when people are up front about their intentions.

Man, Angron is tragic as fuck.

A giant pile of Reavers because two boxes of Gangs of Commorragh. Converting some wraithshit to eldar empire robots for elfhammer 20k. Cloaks. So many cloaks. Also 6/0 with spiky elves. This is a good edition to be edgy.

It bothers me that I don't understand chapter organization anymore because of them.

Tell me about this deepstriking gimmick, how does it work?
Because I thought only the units that said they could be placed on a Manta to deepstrike could do so, rather than "anything with FLY".

Yeah I got gangs and a start collecting and man I hope I'm not a dick for fielding all of them at once.

It really does seem that Emps was an unreasonable cunt to Angron to then 11th degree - all the others got stuff from their worlds
Him and Konrad are the only 2 that legit have reasons to turn

>MUH GLADIATOR RAPE BUDDIES
>I JUST WANTED TO DIE WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE EMPEROR I WILL JAM NEEDLES INTO THE BRAINS OF MY TROOPS AND MAKE THEM FEEL MY CRAWLING IN MY SKIN THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

nah fuck him

Also what on earth is elfhammer??

If your dad denied you the right to be the huge cock-gobbling faggot you are, you'd be just as mad as Angron. Thankfully your dad lets you practice ddeepthroating on him so you don't understand why Angron was mad.

>MUH YIFF RAPE BUDDIES
>I JUST WANTED TO DRINK WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE EMPEROR I WILL STILL USE PRIESTS WITH PSYCHIC POWER AFTER NIKEA
Nah fuck you.

Angron was a petty child who never grew out of adolescence. He had a chance that day to learn the value of sacrifice and lead his Legion into battle on the bed of his fallen comrades, becoming a truly heroic liberator. But no, he constantly bawwed like a bitch and the Emperor ended up having to do the business himself.

>MUH RELIGIOUS TEXTS AND MONUMENTS
>I JUST WANTED TO WORSHIP A GOD WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE EMPEROR I WILL STILL WORSHIP A GOD/S WHO ACTUALLY DEMAND FEALTY

>Oi "Dad" how come all my brothers got to keep their childhood companions
>How come you couldn't teleport my companions up here
>Why didn't you intervene and save them

>Shut up No12 here's your Legion
If the Emps had used his noggin a little more with Angry-chan, that would have 1 less traitor legion

I want one for each please.

>MUH FORTIFICATIONS ARE BETTER
>I JUST WANTED TO HELP FORTIFY TERRA WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE EMPEROR AND DORN I WILL BUILD SPIKY FORTRESSES INSTEAD AND THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY A BOMB
Nah fuck you.

You can take drones with lots of tau units, including tau units that deep strike from a manta. These drones are considered part of the original unit until after they are set up on the battlefield.

Stealth Suits let you place a homing beacon. Each turn, you can deep strike set up with the manta rule within 6 inches of a homing beacon, WITHOUT REGARD TO ENEMY POSITIONING.

So you set up your commander in the manta, with attached drones. Move your stealth suit into position near an enemy you want to tarpit. Deploy the homing beacon. Deep strike the commander and drones in, placing the drones within 1 inch of the enemy. The drones are now in combat with that enemy. It can't shoot normally, it must fall back. Also, since the drones separate from the commander, the commander isn't similarly tied down.

Does Veeky Forums hate the Ultramarines, and why? Or is it just a meme?

user, at De'Sheah the Emperor could have stepped in and fight alongside Angron with both the War Hounds and 10000 Custodians.
But he chose to abduct Angron instead.
He could have earned the respect of the Red Angel by bleeding together, but he chose not to.
And that's the thing: nobody knows why. And when people don't know, they think of the Emperor of being just a dick.

>MUH FLAYINGS AND CRUCIFIED PLANETS
>I JUST WANTED TO TERRORIZE PEOPLE INTO COMPLIANCE
>FUCK THE EMPEROR I WILL LET MYSELF GET KILLED BY AN ASSASSIN TO SUPPOSEDLY PROVE MY POINT

I have 5 or 6 boar riders from 2nd ed sitting in a bin. Snakebites used to be a regular part of most forces, but now they don't really have a niche except "my Runtherd is a Snakebite..."

I guess my boars count as bikes unless GW brings the unit back.

>MUH MAGICS AND MUH SORCERY
>I JUST WANTED TO USE AMAZING SUPER DUPER WARP STUFF AND DOOM MY ENTIRE LEGION WHILE BEING A MELANCHOLIC KEKOLD
>FUCK THE EMPEROR AND LEMAN RUSS I WILL JUST FUCK THE GOLDEN THRONE UP

there we go boyos, doom marine all done. still not happy with how he looks (green blob and just super boring imo) but at least i actually finished one

Decently slow. I've been working on this dude, now all he needs is his pedestal painted and some Nihilakh Oxide to add wear.

So I was looking through FW Chaos and the HF Falchion looks like the dumbest unit in the game. for 777 points, which is a playable amount, you get basically a double IG Shadowsword. Eight Lascannons and a Twin Volcano Cannon, except the Falchion is bs3 and heretic astartes so it gets prescience and reroll 1 from a lord. So it can get 2d6 shots of 120" s16 -5 2d6 damage hits on 2+ reroll 1, with reroll wounds against titanic. It can kill a knight in one round.

>MUH FIRST LEGION
>I JUST WANTED TO HUNT BEASTS WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE SIEGE OF TERRA I WILL BE FASHIONABLY LATE BECAUSE REASONS

That looks pretty dope! Use any special rules for a piece like that or just use him for purrdy cover bonuses?

don't forget them snakebite wild boys. They boast the most grots and squigs.

scout or armored sentinels for gsc? also what weapons/wargear for them?

>MUH XBOXHUEG SELF-SUFFICIENT UTOPIAN EMPIRE
>I JUST WANTED TO RULE ULTRAMAR WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK THE IMPERIUM I WILL MAKE A 2.0 IMPERIUM WHICH WILL BE EVEN BETTERER AND MAKE EVERYONE FEEL BAD WHEN I WAKE UP

Thanks! The BRB has some rules for him, I believe it helps with cover.

Very nice. Rip and Tear, my friend.

>Each turn, you can deep strike set up with the manta rule within 6 inches of a homing beacon, WITHOUT REGARD TO ENEMY POSITIONING.
Ohh, because what matters is the beacon only deactivates when the enemy ends their move within 9" of it, right? So you could drop it even closer if it is your turn.
>The drones are now in combat with that enemy. It can't shoot normally, it must fall back
Don't you mean "the units must now fight"? I suppose the Tau are still going first because it's their turn, despite they didn't charge. But what would you want to be in combat with in such a way? Sounds like those drones wouldn't do much and would swiftly die in your own turn from morale, thus simply wasting your drones.

You can tarpit vehicles with this mostly. Units with lots of ranged firepower, very little melee, that can't fallback and shoot.

all you did was drybrush most everywhere and apply some mild wetbrushing to the edges of certain parts of the model.

Go on...

Visually they're much better and I finally have a desire to start an SM army. Lore-wise they could use some work.

But ya, it's pretty obvious Primaris are the future and marinelets are being phased out. They're probably just trying to sell their excess inventory before they fully commit.

>MUH TREASURE HUNT
>I JUST WANTED TO BE A SUPER NICE GUY WITH MY FRIENDS
>FUCK YOU I AM SUCH A NICE GUY THAT WILL BE KILLED OVER AND OVER UNTIL I AM NOT A NICE GUY ANYMORE

Your point?

>Custodes, Pri marines and SM are super human

If one is clearly more super human than the other. Whats the over all difference between them? Whats a good comparison?

How many drones you said are now in combat with the enemy? Because I was thinking Devastator marines and those can still hit back. So, maybe vehicles as you mentioned, or perhaps IG Heavy Weapon teams.
...do people still use those or is the meta entirely Memescripts and Russes?

I like them quite a bit, the DI novel really sold them to me, especially the aggresors which I can't wait to see the model for. They will never find themselves in the ranks of my void brothers, but I think I might make a tiny detachment of totally not traitor true scale traitor marines.