Fugly Modrons

Anyone have or know of some artwork of modrons that dont look like weird creeps? Rolling a rogue modron for a game but can't get past that face. Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-class-modron-mathmatician.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/01/terophidians.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>modrons
>Rogue modron

First sentence is not quite the same as the second, but I'll see what i have.

>Center one is a redesign of the only famous modron, Nordom.

What about 4e's American Box Art Kirby modrons?

Fan art of a Modronoid? Close enough?

But modrons are weird creeps. Especially rogue ones.

Some really animu Mondronoid

the fact that their weird creeps is the best aspect of them. if you can't handle them at their worst you don't deserve them at their best.

How about you don't play a modron? There isn't really a non creepy looking modron and nearly all modrons are simple task focused servants of one of the gods, if I'm not mistaken

>nearly all modrons are simple task focused servants of one of the gods, if I'm not mistaken

Correct. Except the ones that go rogue....

but they're still beings that usually do/focus on a singular task unless you got those duodrons or something.

>WE NOW RETURN TO R E B O O T !

Yesss...? and all rogue modrons turn into quadrones eventually. Or generally most rogues come from the quadrones cast.
>quadrones are the square ones with about human intelligence.

Are you thinking the OP said MONOdrone? Which would fit what you are trying to describe, because that's not his situation.

Bigger version.

>dont look like weird creeps?
Ha. No.

it that his fucking robo-dick sticking out

What ever turns your hand-crank.

Dig the Jack Kirby aesthetic.

why do people keep putting those horrible lips on them, complete deal breaker

I assume to make them even more unsettling.

Your party member for ONLY Nine-ninety-nine-ninety-NIIIIIIIINE!

That modrom looks pretty damn good. I like it that it's actually just a robot, not a weird mechanical thing that is kinda of a robot but also a box-creep.

>creep.
They always remind me of the famous german Schlupp book

I like the mixture of organic and metallic. Makes them more than just robots. They're strange somewhat mechanical beings of law.

I really like this one, because it looks like it's two monodrones stuck together.

You could go further. A tridrone originating from two duodrones (one sphere for each corner) joining into one.
A quadrone as a pair of tridrones slotting into one.

Oblig. 1/2

Oblig. 2/2.

So I'm going try and run a dungeon crawl involving these creepy little bastards and I wanted some input from you guys.

The premise is that the Far Realm was trying to pull shit again and somehow through chaotic fuckery ripped another hole somewhere in Mechanus. The portal spewing forth waves of disorder, creatures without sense, and seemingly unstoppable; the Modrons were forced to the unthinkable. They separated the corrupted sector and all the Modrons within from the Accordant Expanse, banishing them from their plane. Of course, this unfortunately sends the rogue sector to the plane of existence occupied by the PC's. They must now venture into the Cube of Chaos, slay the howling beasts and close the portal, before it's too late.

With that in mind, what do I do to make the room encounters/scenery interesting? Modron architecture is orderly and clean, possibly not making for exciting locales. I have some ideas lined up such as:

A room full of grinding massive cogs which they must cooperate to traverse through various means most likely involving parkour, magic or tossing. Alternatively they could try flying through on now thoroughly crazed Modrons dog fighting with flying abberations.

A pool of Modron Jelly, once used to fuel it's populace, is now a twisted parody. It is now a Gibbering Mouther of ridiculous size and boundless endurance. Might be a good way to introduce a sense of tension, as giant unstoppable single minded horror movie style monstrosities are wont to do.

An assembly line or similar type room where the PC's must take the roles of the now dead Modron workers in a fucked up game of simon says with an apparently unhinged Decaton.

That's all I have right besides good ol' combat encounters, you fellas have ideas that could work/improve the concept?

Reminds me of goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-class-modron-mathmatician.html

Anyone have a bigger version of this? Preferably without the text?

Classic Modrons and the fucking classic Beholder always had a place in my heart for uncanny valley.

Could you imagine a Classic Beholder in new D&D just slowly hovering towards someone? There's something eerie about beholders with enough CHA to have lipstick.

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/01/terophidians.html

Liches used to do Exactly this, with a phylactery for unwanted thoughts and vestigial emotions.

Here's something I sketched quickly, might refine the design more later. Don't think I care for the slouched look.

don't call me a moron

That's pretty fuckin nice. I could see that design fitting in more as some kind of elite modron assassin, rather than just a grunt.

>Rolling a rogue modron for a game
Make sure your character obsesses over whatever they did wrong.
They don't necessarily need to regret it, but it should like behind every thought.

>199x254

Come on dude.

Nostalgia rolled 20 on my feels.

That's just what they look like. They all look alike at each tier, too, though monodrones may have odd bits attached to aid in performing a specific task. If you really care about how they look, play another race.

Eh maybe, it's meant to look clunky without being overly bulky as Monodrones aren't all that strong individually, so I went for a skeletal system pulled by cables rather than servos or artificial muscle.

I think I'll sketch out some other Modrons now, so bumping so the thread doesn't fall off before I'm done.

I like it. I like it alot.

Old School planescape did hint that Modrons can appear as any technology level. But Tony D's (Amazing) art really dissuaded anyone from drawing them as anything but pure-pure Clockwerk.
Always felt like a missed opportunity.

Anyway. Got anymore user?

what about holographic modrons, like the omnitool tech in mass effect?

Well I mean, that advanced tech exists in planescape/spelljammer, but sure why not? Go crazy.

I don't really know the mass effect games but the answer still stands.

Actually that would be kinda cool. The modron cities are divided equally into different sectors. Ruled by different Hieracrchical Modrons. Each of the Hieracrchicals could have a different style and level of technology and passes this same style down to it's subordinates.

Thus you'd get the clockwork section ruled by a clockwork-Tertian, the Modern area, and the holoprojected sector. Very digimon feeling. These names would ofcourse be what travelers call them, because Modrons wouldn't notice a difference.

>Couldn't fit appropriate pic.

Just early sketching on a Duodrone

forgot image

wew progress

I'm really digging the style you have going for them.

Tridorone designed, not sure if I want tentacle legs or spider legs.

The current legs you have sketched would be best probably. Since it's a spear wielder it would value the mobility to freely adjust its range and angle in order to get a good poking point, while the claws give it traction on the ground so it can hold its position. Tentacle legs are better because its design values combat dexterity over long distance mobility. It might also be able to latch itself onto the roof for an ambush.

Also that's fucking badass.

Would you terribly mind posting a solo and higher-res pic of the completed one on the right? It's my favorite so far.

Forgot to include spider legs for comparison

Eventually, as of now I'm still sketching it out

Fixed leg orientation

These are fantastic!

because the duck lips in the original material

Yeah, I kinda like that idea too.

How much effort would it take to reprogram a modron?

>Modron architecture is orderly and clean, possibly not making for exciting locales.
>A room full of grinding massive cogs which they must cooperate to traverse through various means most likely involving parkour, magic or tossing. Alternatively they could try flying through on now thoroughly crazed Modrons dog fighting with flying abberations.

Steampunk version of Sector 5 from Code Lyoko, complete with constantly shifting pieces and Hogwarts staircases, until you can eventually hit a switch (or some other mcguffin) in the far back that locks it all into place and lets you go the specific places you're trying to reach.

Also if you're looking for a run-down assembly line with a crazy robot overlord situation to draw inspiration from as well, Portal 2 has some good stretches in it.

text is easy to remove there is no overlap.

As for finding a better version of the image of cover, you have the issue number, it's dragon magazine

There could just be both. Similar Modrons have slightly different designs for many different tasks.

Four armed vs winged quadrones come to mind.

>Modrons are the inventors of mathematics. They are also it's only real practitioners, and a few humans (architects, siege engineers) study under them to master their potent maths. So, yeah, if someone knows math, it's because they apprenticed to a modron. In fact, people often don't call it mathematics; they call it the "modron art"

I mean, they aren't programmed, so.. about as much as it would to reprogram a human brain.

True enough, Tridrones were originally the other way up as well.

I do like the idea of more variable drones. Different variations for different purposes.

Photoshop crashed so here's where it was last autosaved. Didn't lose that much progress though.

Bedtime for me, I'll post progress if I see another Modron thread in the future.

Unfortunate you lost some data, but thanks for the wonderful creations!

But those silly faces are cute. Why would you want a modron without one?