Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Do not talk about the previous thread edition

>FAQ (New FAQ), Tau Tears Edition:

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old crap
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>List Builder
Deader than Aun'va.

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

First for STOP NERFING SICARIANS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Best girls a sexy tau girls

re-posting from a thread that was dead by the time I finished typing

Can someone help me out here? I played a game against a Thousand Sons player earlier and got absolutely destroyed, but when I read through the Chaos index later I didn't see half of the shit that he was talking about or if I did the way he thought the rules worked were just plain WRONG.

And some of them I can't even find where he got them at all...

for example:

Death to the False Emperor is only supposed to happen on a roll of 6+. He was claiming it every time he hit.

He was claiming a 4++ on all his units, and I cannot find any reason for this in the rules. Tzeentch favoured seem to get 5++, but not 4++.

In addition he was re-rolling all saving throws of 1 on his tzeentch terminators when in 6'' of Ahriman (and across the board from Ahriman before I politely called him on it)... but you're only supposed to re-roll invulnerable saves. So we were only wounding these terminators on double rolls of 1s, basically.

The last thing I can think of is he for some reason had the idea that by putting his sorcerers on a disc it improved their invulnerable save by 1 by giving them the daemon keyword. Furthermore, since he claimed that the invuln was 4++ instead of 5++, this made their invulns 3++.

So what gives? Does this guy just not know his own army's rules or is there some rule I'm not seeing?

I know some of his rules were just plain wrong, but I'm wondering about the daemons and the discs and the 5++ vs the 4++.

Anyone have any insight?

Now that we've seen how GW is handling the FAQs,
will the codexes make the situation better, or much much worse?

Never has anything brought to mind the phrase 'fish lips' more than now

>He was claiming a 4++ on all his units, and I cannot find any reason for this in the rules. Tzeentch favoured seem to get 5++, but not 4++.
All is Dust gives him +1 on his armor and invul saves if the weapon D stat is 1. Any higher or even D3/D6 means it's standard 5++

>Terrain was meaningless, the swarmlord could be targeted from behind a building because his sword was poking out

Doesnt matter since he was accompanied by 6 tyrant guard.

>will the codexes make the situation better, or much much worse?
See previous thread. They won't do anything.

Dude was outright cheating. Next time tell him to show you in the rulebook where it says any of that, until he does, you play it as normal. If he reeeeeee's, pack up your shit.

Tzeentch demons have an ability that gives them +1 to invun saves, but it doesn't apply to sorcs. Looks like a typical cheating chaos player.

Would still hit it

>A chaos player cheating

wow so surprising

true dat

The only players in a GW game who are allowed to cheat are Skaven players.

What is the intended role of seeker missiles for tau now? 1 mortal woundmeans precisely fuck all against a vehicle with 12 wounds and that is only on a roll of 6 unless you have plenty of marker lights

Are slaanesh daemons worth using in this edition? Have couple of them lying around from whfb time. Btw, are square bases ok or will I be reee'd away from the gw store if I use them?

Poor dude's still trying to play 7th.

You need to break to him gently that chaos no longer has marks and that the 'Ephemeral form' +1 bonus to invulns is actually a specified ability and not implied as soon as you have [Tzeentch] and [Daemon] tags.

As a Thousand Sons player myself,

You need to punch this guy in the cunt and tell him to fuck off. Cheating scum should be shot.

I think it only applies to armor saves, not invul saves. Am I missing something?

Every vehicle gets one for cheap and a skyray comes with six or something.
They could potentially eventually pay for themselves maybe.

I'm sure the intended role is killing vehicles. GW just overvalue single mortal wounds.

Yes. No qualifiers, just do it.

You only need 2 markerlights on something to fire Seekers at full BS. They're pretty excellent for knocking the last few wounds off something that absolutely has to die in that turn, and things with invulnerable saves. I only ever take them on my two Hammerheads and Longstrike though.
>2+ to hit with 2 markerlights on target
>2 markerlights let you re-roll 1's
>1 hit= 1 mortal wound
>basically a guaranteed 6 mortal wounds for 30pts

Applies to both. But if he's using it against anything other than D1 weapons then that's another cheat point on the list.

It applies to both and was FAQ'd to clarify.

I kind of figured he might be half-stuck in the previous addition.

What does that ephemeral form apply to?

The actual Tzeentch Demons like Horrors etc.

Well he was up front about that much at least... he didn't claim it in instances where we hit him with non-d1 weapons.

So /40kg/, I'm looking for some opinions.

I am thinking of getting some of the cheap snapfit Primarine Reivers and converting them into smaller robots for Admech. So putting on dome/sensor heads, adding techy bits and changing weapons. The aim is to have a Dark Imperium equivalent to the Thallax.

Would they be acceptable conversions for Kataphrons if armed appropriately?

Ty, I'll test them out then!

I posted this after the last thread started autosaging, but I am thinking of restarting my chaos marines.

which of these two chaos warband ideas are better?

>Apocalypse Warriors
Atypical nurgle in that they have been corrupted to be everything a space marine was never supposed to be - undisciplined selfish thugs who loot wargear, display grisly trophies, and put themselves before even their comrades. They prefer to capture marines alive when they can, and then spend decades "retraining" them. Fleet based warband with a lot of stolen and makeshift suits of terminator armor.

>Winds of Change
Tzeentch warband with a heavy emphasis on plasma gun Raptors and maybe turkeys. Cutlists would be more well groomed than the usual space hobos. They usually work from the shadows to influence the fate of various events, but sometimes fate needs a push in the right direction for their master's scheme. They favor hit and run tactics and have a big space fortress which gets moved around by the warp occasionally.

the logical thing would be to work on the gazillion models I have before buying more of course, but it is what it is

Because Kataphrons have tracks and are kind of derpy I don't think they'd really feel right.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Only units that get All is Dust are Rubrics and Scarab Occults. If he used it for his Sorcerers then he's a cheating scumbag (Ahriman has a standard 4++).

So my Termie sorc isn't specialsauce enough.
How much am I fucking myself if I run him as a 1 man understrength squad of Scults?

He won't be a character so he's going to die very quickly.

Love that the only thing the Daemon disk brings is the ability to get BTFO'd by grey knights.
Also cavalry like a fucking lark, what happened to my jetbikes? "Attacks with it's blades" how fucking kek can I top.

Cavalry and jetbike don't mean anything.

57 pts
Could make a cute distraction sorceror.

Jetbike comes with a rule for 6" advances
Cavalry come with mount attacks.

Technically don't mean something, in the tag itself, but has practical hangers-on.

I mean feel free, but he's not anymore special than a regular terminator outside of his psychic ability.

So guise, I'm cooking up an IG list and I'm wondering if I can fill the second Battalion HQ slot with a Primaris Psyker. Also, if it's worth it.

I guess he did that too, hence the alleged 3++ on the sorcs.

To be fair I think he may just not know his rules very well.

Maybe that's a naive assumption, but

Even worse for Exalted sorcerer and Ahriman as they lose the infantry tag and are now no longer effected by their own special rule. One of the only HQ's in the game that this happens to.

>is it worth it

WITNESS
YOUR
DOOOOOM

ofcourse you can , it even has the AM keyword and
it's a good choice to , that +1 on saves is pretty great on anything with an invuln save
3+ invuln ogryns

You can, and he's fantastic.

Why wouldn't you be able to? He's an HQ unit.

Yes, they're very handy for boosting survivability and shooting. Take them and even a wyrdvane unit. THEIR FATE IS... FORETOOOLD

AP -2 boltgun?
All is dust rule.
Useless on a 2W model but hey they might not overcharge that plasma for some reason.

is it just me or is gaze of the emperor the worst psychic power in the game

I guess it's intended to stop the Thousand Sons dreadnoughts and Maulerfiends performing above their level.

Yeah, he's Astra militarum. He'd be useful for casting psychic barrier on your tanks.

>The aim is to have a Dark Imperium equivalent to the Thallax.

Why don't just, buy the Thallax user, they still exist even in the fucking 42nd.

MY MIND FEARS A GREAT PAIN

You'd really be better off finding some points for a couple of extra scarabs to go with him at least.

It's hard to reliably get a good target but it can do work. There's definitely worse powers, hell terrifying visions is probably worse.

Ah i didnt consider thr fact it ignores invuln as well thats a pretty good deal especially if you want a character dead potentially

How viable is Iyanden now? Kinda tempted to dig out my old wraith army for 8th.

I don't want to be that guy who starts the forgeworld arms race in my casual group by using them as is, and they're too expensive to buy to cut up for conversions

Is the jury still out on broad sides? Even though they're expensive as fuck they look like they can really dispense damage now.

And that being said is the price increase only a lot because it was cheap and is now balanced or is it overpriced i don't have as much grasp on the whole point scaling game wide yet

The problem isn't what they dish out, the problem is that they're a very small unit that costs a lot of point and doesn't have the mobility to keep itself safe. They can be good if you chuck them into cover with nice clear lines of fire, but you're probably better off with a hammerhead, a gundam, or another crisis unit.

I dunno in most games those hammerheads are gone turn 1, especially since most dedicated anti armour now suck against battle suites and such (compared to plasma and others)

True. Its hard to justify a broadside when is almost as much as a set of 3 crisis suits

Hey guys noob question here, say i have a guy with 2 attacks base with chainsword and plasma pistol.
Can I use the pistol for 2 attacks in melee as pistols can be used in melee? Would the chainsword give +1 or not? Or is it just one shot even in melee with 2 attacks and I should just use the sword for 3?

if I'm not mistaken you can't attack with that pistol but you can shoot it in the shooting phase even if you're in melee. I could be wrong.

I have a bunch of HH sets. Do I make Night Lords or Carcharodons?

yeah 8th changed the whole pistol is a melee weapon thing, arguably for the better

Pistol can be fired in shooting phase while in melee, not fired in the fight phase.

Note that pistols can only be fired at the closest unit.

So I can shoot at the unit I'm engaged with before cutting them up in the fight phase, cheers guys

I like the former just because the name sounds cooler

Pretty much.

First attempt at Drew Carey. Thoughts?

Which legion is best?

It sounds like an 80s hair metal band

You mixed up the first two images.

Is it even a contest?

>alpha legion
ok, that made me chuckle. but raven guard all the way

Where's II and XI?

Squatted

Thousand Sons.

Fucking disgusting just like the terrible art it's based on. Tau girls don't have to be animu to look nice.

I skipped 7th, and rejoice that fresh new 8th.
I'm interested by Ynnari, the rule and lore (I mean, Eldar finally move their ass to do something about Slaanesh). Plus wide range of model is always nice.

Is there a good start, unit synergy or simply nice elves to put on the table ?

>flyer flying off and shooting out of its ass at units behind it

Why is this?

Ultramarines.

>Reposting my reply from the other thread

Death to the False Emperor does indeed only work on rolls of 6+.

Rubrics and Scarab Occult do indeed only have a 5++, but they also have the "All is Dust" rule which improves their saving throws by one against weapons which only do 1 damage. Both armor saves and Invulns are a saving throw, so he would get a 4++ against small arms fire and light heavy weapons. Sorcs DO NOT have All is Dust though. Ahriman naturally has a 4++.

Disc does not improve your save. What he's doing is because the Sorc has the Tzeentch tag and the Disc gives him the Daemon tag he's applying the special rule "Ephemeral Form" which improves saves for Tzeentch Daemons from the Chaos Daemons army list. It doesn't work on the Sorc however because although he gains Daemon, he does NOT gain the "Ephemeral Form" rule like true Tzeentch Daemons. So without Ephermal Form or All is Dust the Exalted Sorc is just a 5++, period. Being a "Daemon" doesn't come with rules anymore, it's just a tag. Finally, you are correct about the re-rolls. Only invulns.

There are grains of truth to most of what your opponent did but their grasp of the rules can be at best called "loose". It kinda looks like he read all the rules that apply to Tzeentch models or Tzeentch daemons and applied them to every body without regard for the proper restrictions or how the rules actually say they work. So cheating like mad, but with a bit of plausible deniability to say he "misread the rule" if he gets caught.

That's not how you spell 'Eadbanger

Same reason a bike can move in one direction and fire behind it with its forward fixed guns.

Tau girls don't need to look at all because they are hideous to humans in lore.

He's reversing, or peels around at the end of his move to face the target. Flyers on the other hand have very specific restrictions on how they face and move.

only when flying and not when shooting

I can see why Farsight decided to fuck off from the Tau.

So you can come up with reasons why a bike can fire behind it, but can't do the same for a flyer?

The book "Fracture of Biel-Tan" has most of the important fluff about the Ynnari although it's out of print now and the rules are 7th ed.

In 8th the Ynnari are primary an infantry army, since that's where you'll get your soulbursts. You can have some vehicles and the bigger Wraiths for support, but you should focus on having a large core of infantry, likely on foot.

I could if they literally could turn around, retard

>because they are hideous to humans in lore
[citation needed]

rules wise, you can, lore wise.....maybe by flying in a circle? I mean the rules are a bit shady in this regard (and they didn't really need to change it)