/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Weeaboo? We’ll put a stop to that, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-06-22 - Still getting worked on & now has 13349 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-06-06!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

sarna.net/wiki/Hunter's_Paradise
youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o
youtube.com/watch?v=L8vFGQ0uJQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ded.
kek.

You might as well, yes. The Combine of the era was ultra-notorious for not only leaking, but outright donating every single piece of proprietary technology they had at that point. Not just weapons and c3, but the whole trove of inner sphere OmniMechs they developed on their own from the salvaged clan technology they fought tooth and nail to gain.

Used to be I was bitter about the omnimechs, but then I became just plainly glad that they continued to be produced in-universe when all of DC's own prod cap was erased.

I've been playing MWO PUG matches, and desu I have seen maybe 3 Atlases recently. In most matches there seems to be a decent amount of variety, though there are still a few popular choices (and a lot of King Crabs lately because of a sale)

Has anyone allowed one of their players to start off with a Chameleon for their mech, and not just for training?

Could happen in scenario that starts like the Crescent Hawk's game. Player was a cadet in a academy just finishing off his Mechwarrior training when SUPRISE Invasion and the academy gets thrashed and the only mech he has was the Chameleon.

If my memory serves, there was a scenario with the continuation of the Black Widow company where they had to fight a lot of cadets in Chams too.

>Crickets chirping

I don't see why not. They're really common because most of them survived while they were used for training. It's not even half as shitty as 80% of stuff in 3025, for example.

nice

>chassis: Dragonar 60
>mfw

>hmm, what variants were there to Chameleon again
>...
>CLN-7VQ
This Q-Mech variant of the Chameleon was seen in several academies across the Inner Sphere. Equipped with a Heavy PPC and PPC Capacitor, and three Improved Heavy Medium Lasers are tied into an advanced Clan Targeting Computer. An Angel ECM Suite is mounted in the center torso to disguise its weapons. Despite the increased scrutiny and security at academies caused by this 'Mech, it wasn't a success on the field.[14]

What the actual fuck kind of academies are these? And how come this wasn't a success?

>Heavy PPC + Capacitor
How does someone not appreciate this as a highly mobile energy Hunchback with double the range?

>Has anyone allowed one of their players to start off with a Chameleon for their mech, and not just for training?
I used one for a while in a campaign, played a crusty old piloting instructor in a Q-Mech (swapped the MGs for a flamer, dropped the ammo and smaller lasers for a second LL) he'd "hot-rodded" and overridden all the limiters on. got shot out of it saving those damned kids in the command lance, of course. The Introtech Cham is a surprisingly competent replacement for a Pixie if you know what you're doing, and once the -7Z and -7W come out it gets legitimately scary.

I'm assuming it was a "training mech" in the same way that those Russian soldiers were "on vacation", intended to get around the magical disarmament aura in the early DA

What was the battle of Kursk of Battletech universe?

IIRC that Chameleon was used by an assasin/assasins to target some contract kill targets. It was XTRO: Most Wanted IIRC.

Q-'Mechs are generally limited-run personal customs that some insane fucker has cobbled together to protect the brats at his academy (see also what I did with ). They're supposed to be hard to tell apart from the ones the chickies are playing in. The -7Q is a single, heavily-customized variant with AECM that was targeting individual officers in training areas for a single year, not a mass-production version. In particular, the triple i-HML array is.. unlikely to see any kind of serious production. Ever.
XTR Phantoms is from 8 years after the -7Q was first sighted; TRO: Prototypes is a full 18 years on, and there's no indication that it ever made it out of that one series of five missions.

Oooh, so that's what the Q stands for. Like Q-ships! "Oh golly gee, I am just a lonely paper-thin rice toaster training mech filled with kiddies and sunday school teachers, I sure hope no mean space feudal japanese faux-pirate marauder shows up at my school and kills m- GOTCHA, HIROHITO! "

bt should really get its own chinese cartoon someday

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and I should have started playing much earlier. Game is pretty fun.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. Bought an Urbie, diddled around, found it boring, got distracted by Crossout and never came back.

Battle of Tukayyid most definetly, that was the biggest Mech battle ever fought and it decided the fate of the entire Clan Invasion.

I've been playing for half a year. The biggest surprise was that all the complaints about grind weren't true.

Enjoy your p2w game I guess.

It's hardly P2W, more pay to not grind. They've now got a set up that the first 25 matches for new players earn you stupid amounts of Cbills, which'll allow you to buy 2-4 decent mechs or something like a Clan assault and trick it out. From there it's just running matches to get more bills to get more parts or mechs. I rarely notice premium mechs in the field, though looking at their stats in the lab most of 'em are either no better than their generic counterparts or are even worse. The only real advantage premiums have are a boost in the # of C-bills you earn per match, and some of them come with special skins.

Disregard me, I'm blind and cannot read.

Crossout is that bad? I had such hopes for it too.

In the interest of being on topic, what's the general opinion on the Bane/Kraken Prime? Being able to reach out and touch someone from practically across the map with 40pts and multiple tac potentials worth the 100 ton chassis?

>Bane/Kraken
It's a big guy, and should be treated as such. Most of my experience has been the bane 3 sandblasting me at range and the original model looks pretty similar.

The Bane 3 seems like a no brainer. 120 lrms, and Clan tech so there's no minimum range unlike the Ultra AC/2 Prime.

There aren't enough AMS.

This a real shot in the dark but does anyone here have a set of the old Dragons fury faction dice they'd be willing to sell?

Pic related

It's not a bad game, it's just very easy to smurf opponents by buying purple, orange, etc. special gear with real money. If you don't buy anything, then the grind becomes pretty insane.

Is this some sort of competition for most off topic?

Hardly OT tho, they're MW:DA dice. Its just that almost no one remembers them or knew they existed.
I'm pretty sure I still have a Steel Wolves one somewhere, but I haven't seen the others in over a decade.

Ah, ok. I didn't recognize them at all.

Jeeze, don't take some passer-by's vengeful oneliners as indicative of the game's quality. You can get a head start with money. But that's it.

Most importantly, the game isn't a self-referential snorefest with 240$ horse armor.

I wasn't taking their comment as fact, just another nail in the coffin.

Money literally buys you better weapons in Crossout, if that's not pay to win in your definition you gotta get a new dictionary.

>Money literally buys you better weapons in Crossout, if that's not pay to win in your definition you gotta get a new dictionary.

Huh... so Crossout is related to Hard Truck Apocalypse? I played the shit out of that game. I still occasionally get it out and play it for a few days just to enjoy the SJG Car Wars feel it had to it.

... but an MMO where you have to spend real money to have a good time? I'm not sure if that's a good use of my resources ...

From what I've read about Crossout, you either spend real money to buy good weapons which have the risk of eventually breaking down or being lost.

Or you build them yourself, takes around 20 matches to grind out enough common parts to make a rare, then you need five rares to make an epic, five epics to make a legendary. Etc.

As much as I dislike MWO's grind, it puts things in perspective.

Yeah. MWO is still a grindy game like most F2Ps, but at least I feel like I'm actually getting something out of it. The trial mechs give you some variety in your mech-bays, while you can use your C-bills to trick out a personal favorite,

We all know that 99% of crossovers are invariably terrible, but is there anything that you guys think battletech COULD be crossed with successfully?

Legend of Galactic Heroes?

XCOM would be a hoot, but I think you might be able to cross Battletech with Shadowrun, Ace Combat, or Corruption of Champions with a reasonable expectation of success.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Imagine being the lucky little shit to inherit a Battlemech factory before the Helm Core.

I've been occasionally tinkering with the idea of mixing Battletech with GDW's old Traveller 2300 setting, as has another user or two, and it honestly fits pretty decently together

28 days later (been done), Mad Max (A whole damned setting), a number of crime movies, Johnny Mnemonic, Robot Jox, Godzilla...

...so long as you're not bringing actual magic, technologies significantly more advanced than the universe, regiment-sized armies, or intelligent life into the equation, you have a lot of freedom to do stuff on a small scale on an obscure world.

Jurassic Park?

Fuck yeah.

>It's hardly P2W, more pay to not grind.
Talking about MWO, I agree with you. It's not a P2W model as much as people bleat about that.

The biggest problem outside of the gameplay mechanics is that whether you're paying not to grind as much, or not paying and grinding more... there really isn't anything more to the game but grinding. When it was closed beta I was wooed to it due to promises of working with my faction (No faction-wide available player roster was ever made), nor did planets translate to getting certain advantages, and the hundreds of planets were in no way unique, simply given the same random maps as the last planet. Both Quickplay and FP ended up being nothing but variations on Team Deathmatch, though they might one day add (Gasp) FREE FOR ALL DEATHMATCH!

All power to you if you're having fun, but my gripe is more one about multiplayer gaming in general, not just MWO. You can't really do any fun or compelling missions when the guys at the other end have adhd and "Just want to blow up robots".

There is some of that already. There are some planets that have dinosaur-like creatures.

sarna.net/wiki/Hunter's_Paradise

What was the first mech that ever mounted a PPC? Can't find it anywhere.

>my gripe is more one about multiplayer gaming in general

Same, I'm looking forward to mechwarrior 5 because that will actually have a proper story.

I can sign the fact that I wish the game were more in-depth in terms of the Faction Warfare and stuff. Something like the old TFS league for Mech Commander would have been nice. But sometimes I guess it's fun enough to be able to strap in and just blow up other giant robutts. Will never get tired of hearing the startup sequence.

Maybe the Prototype Griffin? Read about it recently and noticed it had a prototype PPC that had the same range brackets and damage as a standard PPC, but generated 15 heat.

The Mackie?

Huh, you're probably right. The fact that PPC was introduced in 2460 caught me off-guard. That was probably some prototypes.

PPC Mackie was in 2470. Griffin was in 2465.

The Original Mackie-5S

I assume the stats mean that PPCs were installed on old 5S models after they became a mass-produced thing. Otherwise the fact that they were developed in 2460 and the Mackie 5S was made in 2439 wouldn't make sense. Also, OG Griffin-1A had PPCp (primitive) in 2465. Sarna also says that initially 5S had different armaments:

>The initial prototype Mackie was designated the MSK-5S, and carried a slightly different weapons load than the production model MSK-6S. Using an Autocannon/5 in the right arm instead of the AC/10, the MSK-5S also mounted a Large Laser in the center torso, rather than the twin Medium Lasers, and had two more heat sinks.

>PPC Mackie was in 2470.
Unless there's been some errata to change it, XTRO:Primitives I disagrees.

Sarna often abbreviates the details. Also, XTRO:Primitives IV comes right out and says the Griffin's pPPC was because of manufacturing issues:

[Editor’s note: Unfortunately, the particle cannons made available to these early Griffins were of less-efficient, prototype-quality, because the Hegemony had yet to achieve sufficient production of the weapon to meet all of its needs at that time. For this reason, Maxwell’s engineers housed the weapon in an improvised cooling jacket system that helped mitigate a fraction of its excess heat.]

How would you explain PPCs becoming available only in 2460, huh? HUH? I'm not saying it's aliens, but...

Misjump.
>but
MISJUMP!

M̹͙̣̭̜ͪͫ́̌̿̓ͭͯ ̶̴̜̺̏ͬ́ͩ͑͡İ̖̱̪͈͈̙ͨͫ̉̀͟ ̝̭ͨͤͬ͜S̡̞̟̘̦̰̥̖ͣͨ̿̋ͫ̇ ̷̡̯̙̗̖̇̽͝J̵͖͖̫̼͕̞ͣ̌̃̈͌ͅ ̦̝ͪ̎̇̄̏͞͝Ũ̷̧̬̞ͭ͂̀̎͟ͅ ̴̛̪͎͙̯͍̑ͭ͛̌͌͌̈ͩM̧̻͇͖͍̐͑͟͝ ̴̙̠̯̝̫̱̙̖͑̄ͭ́ͪ͢P̵͙͕̰̤̾̑

Well, if we're going by the dates in IO, they only entering genreal manufacturing in ~2460, but are prototyped in ~2440, and 2439 is approximately 2440. And second, I chalk these dates inconsistencies up to the usual fact-checking issues we see throughout the franchise. Remember when the Zeus predated the invention of the battlemech by a few decades?

Given that battletech more or less started out as a crossover of various 80s mech properties, things like Dougram, VOTOMs, etc would probably work well

That was no misjump. That was a super jump.
The bad news is now we're stuck here because the K-F drive and the lithium-fusion batteries both burned out.OopsPraise Blake

>spoiler
I will never not be mad that IO made that "real" and no one makes pic related.

I have one, sadly (for you) I don't want to sell them

Did you check eBay? Specifically with wrok

Pacific Rim would be amazing with BattleMechs instead of Jaegers. I can just see a swarm of light mechs trolling a kaiju to death while Aerospace assets strafe it with PPCs and lasers.

>Sarna often abbreviates the details

It's often pure bullshit.

I would have liked that one far better as well, but nobody can have nice things in battletech and you know it. It certainly exists in my games, if only in back-of-the-napkin notes in some scientist's desk, forgotten by everyone.

>Shadowrun crossover
Didn't CGL do just that one April Fool's Day?

Maybe? I'm just saying Shadowrun has the energy tech, the weapons tech, and cybernetics tech is perfectly suitable for locomotion.

Yes, the Best Ever, BattleRun book.

How would be a Battletech campaign centred in corporation warfare? Industrial espionage and all that jazz

Would it even involve mechs? I'm thinking some mercs working through a proxy maybe.

Shadowrun almost. Closer to Cyberpunk 2020, though. It can be fun, especially once you add in the Clans or Solaris.

Certainly, lots of Mech manufacturers have on site mech security forces, and Mechs are an amazing force multiplier, even junkers.

Question Veeky Forums - after Clan Ice Hellion is wrecked, who then are the fastest faction in Battletech? Ghost Bears? Goliath Scorpions? Hell's Horses? Diamond Shark? Draconis Combine? Duchy of Oriente? Who has the greatest need for speed?

Clans in general.

Because they all need to go.

Not exactly a crossover, but I've said before the original Front mission could be replicated as a BT scenario.

Make Huffman a world in the Chaos March, with two CM powers acting as the OCU and USN clashing over it, with WoB standing in for Zaftra as the third power secretly fueling the conflict as a means to experiment with human brain computers and interfaces.

These days given the nature of the IS and the tech level, I would think that Pirates would really be the ones who valued speed (and hands) over all else. But if it has to be a mainline faction, it's the Wolf Empire. Look at the Wulfen and the fact that they are drowning in Locust IICs and you'll see it.

Wanzers should actually be really easy to convert. They're like what, 25 tons on average?

Draconis Combine
"Fire and Blood"

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Hey guys, did anyone have the BattleTech: Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged?

>Robot Jox

>All right... new weapons check... the wrist saw has been replaced by a fusion arc torch.

Check.

>Green lasers installed in shoulder turrets - fire with the pickle on the right palm.

Check... can I go out now, dad?

>Go!

youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

You don't need it if you download every 3145 TRO

>assault recon

kek

Seeing that reminded me that the Zeus could use a proper recon variant for the 4th SW.

I feel like Fury's Tiger scene would be great in battletech as Vees versus a mech or a lance of bug mechs versus an Assault.

youtube.com/watch?v=L8vFGQ0uJQc

The main issue is that Lights should be able to murder an Assault, especially a dogpack. A +3 modifier is a pretty hefty deal. And the Assault can't really afford not to move.

Same deal with Vees. They aren't so fragile that 3-4 are an even match for a single 'Mech. Three Pegasus, for example, would probably lay waste to even an Awesome by running rings around it.

Maybe a clan heavy? Fast enough to still be still bring some maneuverability to bear, and the range and lethality of the cerPPC probably evokes the same sort of response in universe as the 88 did.

Would that make the Clan Gauss the Long 88?

Yeah, that's more like it, only probably more hopeless than the Sherman v. the Tiger, since the Clanner's a better gunner for sure, and may also have a TarComp. At least in WWII, tank crews were on a more even footing, so to speak. And the speeds just weren't as disparate as they are between a 7/11 and a 4/6.

Nah because the IS also has an equivalent gun, and it wasn't till we got the 90 from the Brits that we had regular tonks that could compete, if I recall. This doesn't take into account things like the Wolverine though, which had better guns but weren't proper tanks.

[Whistling near-miss sound]

I forgot Bastion had a bigger Scottish brother.

So, I'm wondering, for the next, whether I should tell "the truth" of Sparrow murdering his father, who was suffering from dementia, in a fit of rage after hinting that he knew his mother, then being reduced to a fit of laughter during wish he defecated himself.

Sparrow imagines cleaning up after his father, changing his diapers as his entire empire falls apart, only to look up and see his brother Jesse, who had turned on the holo screen that lead to the fit of laughter, paralyzed with fear.

Sparrow cradles his fathers head in his arms, accidently wiping his blood on the table, but he is long since dead, killed almost instantly.

The only thing on Jesse's lips, however, are, "I'm not ready! I can't handle this!" and as Sparrow reveals the will, he finds that his father had left Jesse one of the two remaining mechs, and he had been denied his inheritance.

Now, I can go with this, or I can write it so that his father just dies in a coughing fit after a bout of laughter.

Which would you rather I go with?

>54145485
Oh, it's you again. Thought you died or were eaten by a grue or something. Write whatever, none of us actually care, since you're doing it for the (You)s anyway.

I mean, it works for the Lyrans, why not? Assault Recon is where its at.