What's the best RPG for Japanese style mechas ?

What's the best RPG for Japanese style mechas ?

Mekton Z

Super robot: Mekton Z
Real robot: SilCore
Eva or RahXephon style robots: Bliss Stage

Mekton if numbers and spreadsheets make you hard.
Otherwise I'd recommend Battle Century G

>Mekton Z
for the love of fuck, tell me it supports narrative combat

>Mekton
>supporting anything but rolling your reflex for everything
>supporting anything but building autistically detailed robots for that matter

I was talking about things like

>"I kick him!"
>"you can do that"

instad of

>"I kick him"
>"Your class/robot doesn't have the ability to kick :^)

D&D 4e. Not even joking

Elaborate please.

4e makes a good approximation of SRW style stuff.

I've also ran giant robot kung fu in Legends of the Wulin, which works pretty well.

It requires a great deal of refluffing, but put simply 4e has a broad set of codified abilities that fit well for translating into tactical mech combat. In addition, because 4e keeps combat and noncombat mostly separate, it's easy to have the pilots be their own thing when not piloting a robot.

From there, it's just a matter of fine-tuning what you want from a specific sort of mech. It makes it easy to have both bulky armored mech and nimble agile ones fighting side by side though.

The biggest difficulty is ensuring evety mech has ranged firepower. While that can just be done by ensuring everyone has a crossbow to count as a rifle if they need it, anything more effective or esoteric would require some mixing and matching from other classes with multiclassing or hybrids.

Still, it works quite well if you eant a more super robot game, since rather than worrying about mass and components or getting into the details, it's a matter of selecting the capabilites of your mech from the powers available and then having it function how you want as a finished whole.

Strike! requires less refluffing than 4e, and just generally has less fiddly bits.

I ran an Armored Core inspired oneshot in it, and it worked out well.

>Bliss Stage
holy fuck I've never even seen pdfs of this

Battle Century G, without a doubt.

>Bliss Stage
Only if you want ERP.

Is there a pdf of that floating around?

There's an SRD.

Yeah, but real pdfs are nicer

When did this turn into a PDF begging thread? Look it up yourself.

Should be in da Archive too

As far as I can tell there isn't one, the share thread is just the SRD. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in a thread directly related to the subject.

Tough luck, then

Throw in the escalation die mechanic from 13th Age to make it even more like Super Robot Wars.

I suppose Strike! would be better based on what I heard. The 4e suggestion I heard and played around with before I'd ever heard of Strike being a big thing.

I'd say both would work, it just depends on what system aspects you focus on.

I can understand the idea of Strike, but the lack of character depth has always felt really meh to me.

"da archive" is fucking worthless for most things. Google is more reliable.

PF
Everybody is Aegis

>PF
Fuck off.

Glad to see people already said BCG. Good shit Veeky Forums.

Notice nobody memed GURPS yet? GURPS Mecha is a 3rd edition book, that's... ok. There's no vehicles book for 4th edition yet. Spaceships is an excellent system, and one of its expansions and a couple Pyramid articles expand the system to cover Mecha. However, it's still pretty thin and even hardcore GURPS fans like myself would recommend a specialized Mecha system over GURPS at this point. Sure you could extend GURPS pretty easily to cover mecha due to the system's scalability, but it's by no means out of the box.

Just wanted to get that in.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised that nobody suggested BattleTech yet. It's not the world's best system but it's not bad and obviously does mecha pretty well.

Try reading the OP again.

GURPS is a meme

I did, he asked about japanese style mecha. Both GURPS and Battletech mostly try to emulate that kind of mecha.

Battletech in fact had that whole legal issue over the fact that their original and most popular mecha were incorrectly licensed copies of mecha from originally japanese cartoons. (Obvioulsy BT is a wargame but Mechwarrior is its interoperable RPG).

And obviously anything GURPS that David Pulver touches has a strong anime flavor to it.