EDH/Commander General

"Doranposting is the Freshest Meme" Edtion

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
If you could take one card off the reserved list for EDH, what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triplets-from-breya-precon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Tiehana, Voice of Thunder
>Legendary Creature - Merfolk
>Tiehana, Voice of Thunder's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your hand.
>You have no maximum hand size.
>When Tiehana enters the battlefield, draw a card for each creature you control.
This thing is going to be busted as fuck in EDH. Probably Bant for color identity given the other legends in the set. I NEED IT.

>Thread Question:
>If you could take one card off the reserved list for EDH, what would it be?
Gaea's Cradle, the thing is ludicrously overpriced and insanely powerful. It should be banned or reprinted. It's the only legal card in it's tier.

>Discord link

Good job OP

>off the reserved list
Do you actually mean the reserve list or do you mean the banlist?

>If you could take one card off the reserved list for EDH, what would it be?
Easily The Abyss, it would have been so sweet to have in the Breya precon, even if it would have been impossible to get the precon with people scalping it for copies.
It's my opinion that if Cradle is legal, Academy should be as well, or vice versa and ban both.
This was a point of confusion, kinda odd wording.

>Probably Bant for color identity
Can't be. You can clearly see it's got the UG color gradient.

Reserve List so that it may be reprinted. Sorry for confusion.

>It's my opinion that if Cradle is legal, Academy should be as well, or vice versa and ban both.
Agreed 100%. It's really hard to build a deck with G in it and not use Cradle. But I do NOT want to shell out 160 cheeseburgers for a fucking land.

If that's true, it only makes it more playable and more busted.

Ah. "Reserved list for EDH" just made it sound weird.

I feel like Chains of Mephistopheles being readily available could do interesting things to the format.

Honestly they should just reprint the entirety of Legends, so many sweet stax and prison cards to shove down the UGx players throats.

Is there a way to build a Saskia deck without going through the basic infect route? I wanted to build around her since she got spoiled but I didn't want to make infect (didn't want to get focused). I was thinking using combat tricks as the main theme.

Can fetch lands fetch original dual lands? Someone owes me money and I want to buy a Savannah for my bant deck.

Yes. That's half the appeal of ABR lands.

Sweet. Thanks user. Also I'm surprised Savannah is $90. I take it G/W isn't popular in Legacy/Vintage?

Any lands without blue and black are not popular in Legacy.

I see. Sucks the other two lands I could use are $200+ than since they've both got blue. I'm working on a Rafiq deck at the moment.

You think that's bad? Scrubland is like $60. Feels good to be an Orzhov lover.

>tfw got every dual but a Volcanic back in 2007
>look at the price to get one now

She's good at handling an equipment deck.

Damage doublers go 0 to 10 real fucking quick.

Damn man I'm jealous.

Ah yes, Gisela. Timmy's favorite Boros Commander.

While almost all 2+ color decks appreciate duals, green (non landfall) decks typically need them the least thanks to Green's ability to search out lands.

Can you search them up with Kodama's Reach and Cultivate?

>Gisela
>not Anya

What happenes if my opponent cast Blood Moon and I have Prismatic Omen? What happens to my non-basic lands? And what about Chromatic Lantern?

No, but Farseek, Nature's Lore, and Skyshroud Claim can get duals and shocks.

Most green ramp spells specify basic lands, but some look for forests or any lands

Prismatic Omen will override Blood Moon since it's in addition to other types, and you'll be able to tap for any color. Chromatic Lantern will mean that even though they're Mountains they'll be able to tap for any color. Keep in mind that they're still non-basic, and Back to Basics will still lock them down.

MAVERICK 4 LYF FUK THA H8RS

I believe they become basic mountains that can tap for any color in the instance of Chromatic Lantern. For Prismatic Omen, I think both effects are on the same layer so whichever came into play second would be the one that takes precedent but I'm not super confident about layer rulings.

Ignore the second part. This user
is right.

But I phrased it poorly. It's because Prismatic Omen hits all lands, including the non-basic Mountains.

How much is a revised Plateau? Where donI go to get vintage cards?

Use a site like Cardkingdom and NOT ebay for vintage dual lands.

Not quite. Both Prismatic Omen and Blood Moon's effect are applied in layer 4-- type-changing effects. Because neither Prismatic Omen nor Blood Moon's effects are dependent on another we can ignore dependency issues and apply the effects in time-stamp order.

If Blood Moon entered first, then Prismatic Omen, we would apply Blood Moon's effect first, making all non-basic lands mountains. Finally Prismatic Omen would make all lands every basic land type in addition to their other types, capable of tapping for any color of mana.

If Prismatic Omen entered first, with Blood Moon second, then we would apply Prismatic Omen's effect making all lands every basic land type, but non-basics will still remain non-basic. Then Blood Moon would make all non-basics just mountains.

>Cardkingdom
>Ever

The website that makes SCG look reasonable

So how much for a revised Plateau?

>and NOT ebay
I use ebay all the fucking time for reserved list cards. What's wrong with it?

$58 on TCGplayer for near mint

I just don't trust ebay when it comes to vintage stuff

i like card kingdom but i wouldnt go there for old vintage stuff. there markup is way too high

>$58 on TCGplayer for near mint

huh, you can actually get lightly and moderately played ones for pretty cheap. might be worth picking one or two up

What experience fo some of you have with block/plane constructed edh decks?

I'm putting finishing touches on an Amonkhet Hapatra deck and it's pretty decent so far.

I think you just need to be careful. Look at the listing in detail, Look at the seller's history, and other things. Then again, I've mostly bought bulk rares and commons over ebay, so I'm not nearly as qualified to speak as some of you other guys.

That sounds terribly boring.

True. I've just seen a lot of videos discussing bootleg P9 and Dual Lands.

I'll do it sometimes, but only with Ravnica.

at the end of the day its always just you jamming in ank to keep on theme, its like building tribal but bad

I buy most of my duals on ebay. It's the cheapest place to buy them and as long as you have some known real cards from a set you can compare them and make sure you didn't buy a counterfeit.

Buying from a store is simpler but the premium is huge. Ebay is going to be at least 20% cheaper for most cards.

Time Spiral is decent because it's a massive block and my favorite. Scion of the Ur Dragon is 5 color and the fixing is ok.

The next ones I'm brainstorming are O-Kagachi with only Kamigawa block cards or some Innistrad legend using only cards from both Innistrad blocks.

It's not as bad as it may seem. It has a cohesive -1/-1 counter and discard theme so it avoids being strictly "goodstuff".

I wanted to explore this deckbuilding restriction because I've been getting tired of seeing the same staples over and over again. This limits most boardwipes and degenerate combos.

higher chance of getting counterfeits

which begs the question, why not buy fakes right from the source?

I did a Jor Kadeen Mirran Resistance theme deck. It was fun but pretty bad due to boros.

Thanks.

Is that so? Huh.

Yes.

So uh, where can I get a super convincing counterfeit? I'm asking for a friend, yeah let's go with that.

>le tricky gook meme

Be gone

As it was said earlier, there are lots if listings for fake/proxy cards on ebay, you just need to look.

Best way to build Jor Kadeen?

Artifacts.
:^)

Yeah but all of those are obvious fakes, where can I get one that passes as real?
Fuck off, normally I'd never use fakes but the existence of the reserved list has forced my hand.

>I am a poorfag, look at my excuses.

Which artifacts? What sort of artifact-based strats would work best here?

I'm not poor, I actually make 75k a year at my job. I do alright and could easily afford it. That said, a single card is not worth $200 to me. I'm sorry but that's retarded.

I'm not spending that kind of do$h on the secondary market jew because wotc refuses to reprint things because a handful of 40 year old sweaty neckbeard might ragequit the game.

you dont have to be poor to not want to spend hundreds of dollars on magic

If I wsnt to make a boros tein deck, who would thrcommander be? It doesnt reslly matter all that much but there should probs
Ably be something that has some kind dof synergy if needed. To me it seems between WR Avacyn and Iroas. Avacyn can protect your combo and also maybe boardwipe, but she seems too expensive to actually hold mana up for her for protection. Iroas gives your guys evasion but you probably don't need it if you combo off.

Didnt mean to reply

I make 103k a year and I still refuse to shovel out more than 25 cents for a single card.

It's just not worth it. I'd rather play on cockatrice or with friends who don't give a shit about proxies.

>I make 103k a year
sure you do bud ;)

cancer.

>75k a year
>not poor

Bro I make 100k as a chef at Wendys. I also have a 9 inch dick and I'm 6'3

I play iroas in avacyn, hes probably not gunna make the next cut when i revise my decklist either. Just play avacyn.

le ebin post /b/rother, here's your (You)

now run off down to the kitchen, mommy probably made you some chicken tendies xD

Get a Masters in Computer Science user.

Can i get some suggestions on this deck? the idea is that i play everyone elses deck with a sphinx sub theme

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triplets-from-breya-precon/

I fail to see how this addresses my post in any way, shape, or form.

>I play iroas in avacyn
Literally how.

Most of the people here are NEET losers with no potential. They're sensitive about it.

40 year old neckbeards that don't buy product at that.

Flip Avacyn I'd assume.

oh they buy product, just not from wizards. wizards is so fucking stupid they are actually scared of a group that spends literally 0 money with wizards. its like wizards is allergic to money

>Playing the bad Avacyn
Why

I hit face really hard in my avacyn build, i usually can get avacyn to be a 12/12 with double strike, lifelink, death touch very easily. Sometimes the 4 mana avacyn cant take combat damage is nice but I want to play elemental mastery with anointed procession.

So why do you need convincing fakes?

He's saying you're lying on the internet.

Because I want to give wotc the middle finger and use a $5 counterfeit of a $200 card that looks completely authentic. I don't support the reserved list and I'll be damned if I feed any money to the people who do.

Why would I lie? 75k a year isn't very much. I'm not even upper middle class.

Oh so you are poor?

>Wizards wont reprint cards that are not used in Modern and are too powerful for standard

Oh man the sky is falling.

I get your point but there's almost no reason to reprint shit like black lotus because they're used in one format. It's just buttmad 20 something year olds who missed out on them that want them reprinted so badly. Sometimes you gotta eat crow and spend a bit extra on your EDH deck my man.

t. 25 year old

Being poor and being rich are two different things user, I do alright and have disposable income. Nothing worth lying about.

>I buy bootlegs to stick it to the man

You're an absolute faggot.

So reprint them in commander product. That way it won't hurt other formats.

I haven't bought anything, user. Yet.

Just stop responding to them user. They're fishing.

Anyways, Google is your friend, just start digging around for proxy cards and eventually you'll find something convincing. Just avoid the obvious, hard to get shit, original P9 and so on.

>Because I want to give wotc the middle finger
your not giving wotch the middle finger though you dipshit, wotc does not have anything to do with the secondary market. they literally couldnt care less if you counterfeit because they do not sell singles

Commander is an ultra casual format and there's almost no reason to run original dual lands except to show off because of all the great dual lands there are now. Also those products wouldn't stay on the shelves for two seconds and you know it. You'd be paying scalpers almost the exact same prices for the cards on ebay.

>Also those products wouldn't stay on the shelves for two seconds and you know it.
print more then, not that hard. one would assume wotch makes a profit on commander (or any supplemental product) so if they are flying off the shelves just keep printing until they stop. you know, like how literally every single other business in the world since the beginning of time operates. they did it once with that one commander deck that had the legacy staple in it (cant remember the name) they can do it again with other cards if they wanted

>Commander is an ultra casual format and there's almost no reason to run original dual lands except to show off because of all the great dual lands there are now.
I don't care about duals. I care about shit like Gaea's Cradle that has no business being legal and that expensive.
>Also those products wouldn't stay on the shelves for two seconds and you know it.
Not my problem, sounds like wotc would literally be printing money so they'd better make a lot of stock if they do it. Just flood the market and everyone wins.

They keep the list out of misplaced loyalty to old fans and the secondary market. This in turn just gives a giant middle finger to every new player, they are supporting this system by maintaining the list.

Noted user, I'll do some digging. Thanks.

Hello my fellow n-words!

Anyone here run Nath? Really want to get into him for my not-as-competitive commander... What strats do you use?

Why is it literally every hobby these days has autists screeching about shit they don't need?

>/vr/
>REEEEE I'M BUYING A BOOTLEG LITTLE SAMSON BECAUSE TAITO WONT RE-RELEASE AN NES GAME IN 2017!

>/toy/
>REEEEEEE I'M BUYING BOOTLEG TRANSFORMERS TO STICK IT TO HASBRO

>Veeky Forums
>REEEEEEE I'M PAYING ACTUAL MONEY INSTEAD OF PRINTING PROXIES TO STICK IT TO WOTC

I'll agree with but people who get upset about the Power Nine don't realize that they want them because they're rare and the moment they aren't they wont want them. It's basic ass psychology.

Idk, hybrid reanimator/sac value tokentown? Maybe an emphasis on hand destruction.