Why does WotC hate Red?

Why does WotC hate Red?

They've never forgiven Sligh for making them think Urza's Saga was a good idea.

They're nerds and Red is the jock color.

Because magic is gone from being centered around casting spells to playing creatures as time has gone on. This is the reason why there is never going to be another viable lightning bolt in modern besides lightning bolt.

Urza Saga was blue though

idk, why did they just print an excellent red 2drop at common?

Red is the color of martials

It's draft fodder. WOTC expects you to play no commons in your standard deck

That's not great either

To distract from the shitty red rares

its great in modern.

It's not bad. I think what it really needed was more damage to creatures and an option to hit players for a bit less.

Except Red also isn't getting the good aggro creatures. Or at least not any more than anyone else is

>okay that doesn't look so ba...
>"lands you control don't untap during their next untap step"

hahahaha

Also
>first three words

I mean, ideally, 6 mana for up to 4 cards cast for free should be winning you the gamr anyway in red. Really though, it's just a pointless downside for those cases where you find 3 lands and a goblin.

It's technically 12 mana in terms of commitment.

isn't this just barbarian ring but the option to tap for colourless rather than pain?

Red has always had two things that it's good at, that quick low to the ground aggro/Burn where you hit them fast early so they don't get a chance to retaliate, or big dragons and big burn where they hit you for enough damage at once to kill you.

The problem with the first one is that Wizards wants things "midrange-y". So the Fast Aggro strategy isn't being supported. At the same time Red doesn't have the support to reach the big dragons and big spells by itself, so the other colors are able to win the game before Red even begins to reach that point on its own. And the other ways they've tried to expand the things Red can do (like the entire "Exile the top card of your library, you can cast that card until end of turn") hasn't really hit, because Red typically uses its mana before that, and some of the other stuff they're trying (Like Hazoret's Undying Fury or Imminent Doom) they are so afraid of making it too strong that they make the cards the equivalent of a nerf gun at a paintball arena, that is to say severely underpowered.

yup. you dont need threshold, just mana. thou it cant target creatures.

not bad, normally i don't think threshhold is all that bad in red but it fucks you when you need it most.
I might pick a play set of these for my dorf dex
(it's for shits and giggles casul play, but that's obvious it's a dorf dec)

Yeah. That's what irks me. Especially since I skipped over 12 mana over 2 turns I think would be alright if it didnt have the shuffling mechanic, because then the clear intent is as a combo piece. You would be able to best time its useage with scry and other effects that let you look at or rearrange your deck. That would offer enough consistency that the next turn wouldn't matter as much, but would still hold a risk of losing your mana next turn if you play it poorly.

Alternatively, they could keep the shuffle so it's entirely random, but remove the effect on lands. You're already spending an entire turn and likely all of your mana on the chance that youll get a couple 4 drops and not all the cheap things you're running. A wasted turn with it will probably lose the game for you anyway, and adding another turn to it where you cant recover just makes it worse.

It needed to be one ot the other at most. Either no shuffling so it rewarded planning and skill, or no tapping so it was just a coin flip, but not too punishing.

Serious, why isn't this Red, or atleast Blue Red?

Because R&D loves Blue and hates Red

Because someone convinced them that blue needed to have the most blue things about it gutted while expanding its design space into the already incredibly limited red section. This happened at the same time they also independently determined that red needed to be further limited.

im adding one or two to my t2 tokens modern deck and lord of riots edh.

Beats me. I could maybe see it as Blue if they flipped the Strength and toughness, since then it would encourage using prowess to boost it to better survive, letting it either hit face for a bit of damage or get blocked and live for a bit of damage.

The current array makes it feel way to Red though, especially with how cheap it is. Currently it feels better to just rush it forward recklessly for either 2 damage to the face or 2 damage to the face and trading with something small

and a wildly different activation cost making it much less useful.

>leave the 5ยข rare slot to me

Even at one mana is would be next to unplayable.

>you will pull a foil playset of imminent doom

Meanwhile

Pretty much. It would need that sort of leyline effect where if it's in your starting hand, you can start with it on the table.

Otherwise it's just way to slow to get any decent burn out of.

Post yfw you get this in sealed

>converted mana cost equal to the number of doom counters
>equal to
Oh my god, that's so bad.

It's relaly strange that WotC hates red, considering how much they insist on shoving Chandra down our throats.

I'd shove something down Chandra's throat, if you catch my drift :^)

Hey guys I came up with a great new red card idea! It targets a random player and a random creature, and then deals 5 damage to the player, 5 damage to the creature and 5 damage to you! Oh, costed at 6 or 7 mana, of course. Red mythic slot, here we come! You red players all love super wacky random chaos effects, right? Especially taking up rare and mythic slots when everyone else gets actual game winning shit?

Is it a branding iron?

All they would have to do is make it "equal to or greater than" and it would be at least playable. Jesus christ.

Preferably a gag.

That's because they've pigeonholed Chandra into master pyromancer, which apparently means she just knows how to cast 20 different slightly shittier variants of Fireball.

Something like that

Good idea
I like my girls choking

They don't hate Red, last sealed was red.format. The Lighting bolt for 3 is there because most creatures in the set don't go over 3. So it is an okay removal card.

I think most people are dissatisfied with Red for Constructed rather than Limited.

>last sealed was red.format
>sealed
Go fuck yourself.

It still feels really crappy. Even with -1/-1 counters being a huge thing everywhere it still feels wasteful.

If you're just using it as removal, there are other spells like Cut to Ribbons or Magma Spray that can do similar work. Trial of Zeal is identical except is sorcery speed and has a chance at recursion.

The flexibility really isnt worth the extra mana cost, even if things are smaller this set. Even of the 3 damagr to a creature is worth 3 mana, the 3 damage to a player certainly isn't, making the entire point of the versatility worthless.

If they wanted it to be good, it should have said 'and'. Then you're paying 3 mana for decent removal and an extra bit of burn on top of it.

maybe i should have made it cycle

Wasn't Swiftspear like last year?

Mistakes were made.

September 2014.

Time spent after graduating high school is tough man, I know, but you've got to look at your calendar more. If you don't, then time will just slip away without you even noticing.

>yfw there hasnt been a good set ever since you've gotten back into mtg just after Khans rotated out

I mean, if your green was really good and your red wasn't, removal is removal user.

Because you touch yourself at night.

>set has iconic reprints in fancy alt art foils
>art leaks of what is unmistakingly lightning bolt
>get hype for lightning bolt Invocation
>get instead
>mfw

b-but such powerful card as lightning bolt once every 24000 packs might ruin a draft and is way too complicated for newer players

also solar blast was a shit card...
red gets too much hate.

Meanwhile, in another timeline:
>Jesus Christ. Wizards hates red so much that they actually printed Lightning Bolt as an Invocation next to cards like Force of Will, Damnation, Opposition, Austere Command, and Lord of Extinction.
>Do they seriously think that one lightning bolt every 24000 packs is balancing it? Magic is dead.

No, don't be dumb. There's no flashback in the set, and they don't do put it in for a single card or cycle unless it's absolutely necessary.
Give it Cycling 2R and 'Whenever you cycle ~, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player', so you've got the option between bigger burn or cantrip small burn. Also, strictly better Solar Blast, but I feel that's alright. Could limit the cycle trigger instead.

Red is the color of hansome motherfuckers and the numales that make Magic don't want those people playing anymore because "they're threatening to women and minorities".

Who are you quoting?

Get help

>We live in a world where Unsummon is rightfully back in Type2 Limited, but Searing Spear is too powerful

I hate when WOTC does this...If it had cycling for 1 red, Id understand, but this is just insulting.

I'm more pissed of the fact that we will never ever see a new straight white male planeswalker ever again

What do you mean?
I'm serious. Honestly, I'd be saying the same thing. It's frustrating, but you do have to acknowledge that there's basically nothing that Wizards can do aside from printing Bolt at uncommon that would make us happy with things, and they've already decided not to do that, so we're stuck in shitty situations no matter what they do.

>Art isn't revealed until all invocations but the Locust and Scarab Gods were already revealed
>IT'S TOTALLY LIGHTNING BOLT INVOCATION

This card is 100% red. Blue does get effecient Prowess guys too, but the cost / P&T / Afflict combo is pure red.

We get at least 3 of Gideon or Jace a year, and those planeswalkers are boring as shit. Their most interesting planeswalkers have always either been minorities (Elspeth, Koth) or non-humans (Ajani, Kiora, the dragons). They killed Venser off, they don't know how to make Jace or Gideon interesting in gameplay design or in story design, and you want them to add more bland white dudes into the mix?

Are you retarded?

Elspeth is not a minority, she's a white girl.

I agree with jace and Gideon being shi But im on about newly created ones I also dont want them to print a chad-walker either. But the last few additions all were "muh diversity" female minority walkers and they turned Nissa from Elf-Hitler to bicurious awkward shy girl too. Like whats wrong with Sarkhan or Sorin

>whats wrong with Sarkhan
Some degree of mental instability, but he's alright
>or Sorin
Couldn't whole-ass his betrayal of the vampires, ultimately causing a massive amount of unnecessary destruction because he's a dumbfuck

Jace and Gideon aren't even the worst, although Gideon is both not the same character he used to be AND a muh diversity black dude walker now. I swear him and Tezzeret should not look the same race, it doesn't fucking work. Jace I feel was the best possible lead for shadows, because who else makes a better Lovecraft protagonist than the mind mage who keeps sticking his mind-dick where he shouldn't?

Elspeth best girl though, what the fuck is talking about her being a minority.

I just want Planeswalkers introduced on planes they're not from. If they wanted to do Samut right without just cutting her completely they should have just had her disappear outright for a few sets and then have her randomly pop up as a result of her spark igniting on Return to the Return of the Revenge of New Phyrexia or whatever.

White girls are the ultimate oppressed minority thanks to the Patriarchy.

WotC doesn't hate Red - far from it.

Red has been consistently good throughout Magic's history. There has never been a time when you couldn't just slap together a pile of small red creatures and burns spells and have a semi-competitive deck. You can't really do that with any other colour.

Burn/Sligh/RDW and its variants have ALWAYS been a force to contend with ever since the game's inception. Even today, RDW is still a thing. Red is probably the ONLY colour that you can run on its own in every single format and have a decent shot at winning.

You think red sucks because they nerfed Lightning Bolt? Bolt was OP. Do you think they hate Blue because they won't reprint a decent two-mana counterspell? Do they hate white because they won't reprint Swords or Path?

Red is absolutely fine. Veeky Forums will whine about anything.

not really
why?

>do you think they've been on Black and Green's dick for the last two years?
Why yes, I do. Thank you for asking.

>you can run on its own in every single format and have a decent shot at winning.
>Bolt was OP

Is this a troll? I can't imagine anyone saying this earnestly.

You can play a mono red deck competitively in every format except maybe Vintage. I dunno, I've never played Vintage. Burn is the cheapest deck in Legacy and RDW is similarly cheap in Modern. Those decks aren't tier 1 but they're still competitive.

As for Bolt, it's one of the best spells in the game. There isn't a single situation in which drawing Bolt is a bad thing. I can't imagine anyone earnestly telling me that Bolt is balanced. It renders every single other burn spell redundant.

>There isn't a single situation in which drawing Bolt is a bad thing.
If you can't imagine bad situations to draw a bolt, you're pretty unimaginative.
>It renders every single other burn spell redundant.
>good burn spells makes garbage burnspells redunant.
Shock is better than a lot of the burn spells we get now, that doesn't mean shock is op.

Bring back some of the walkers that we haven't seen in 5 years or so
>Karn
>Tibalt
>Garruk
>Koth if he didn't die

>There isn't a single situation in which drawing Bolt is a bad thing.
Seriously? They have a creature with toughness >3 that's about to kill you unless you kill it first. I mean, I kinda agree with you that Bolt is very strong, but saying that it's the GOAT card in literally any circumstances is nonsense.

>>Tibalt
If Tibalt comes back, he'll probably be genderbent.

I think Garruk is still in time out, after the whole triumph of savagery thing.

Cry little bitch, cry about your SJW wolf. Tibalt will be black as well, only change

I should have specified - if I'm playing burn there's not a single situation in which I don't want to draw Bolt.

Bolt has been one of the best spells in the game since Alpha. Virtually every single deck running red will want to run it (x4 most of the time). Is it broken like Tolarian Academy or Yawgmoth's Will? No, but it's still pretty overpowered when it outclasses every single other burn spell in the game.

Do you think that the counterspells they print today can hold a candle to Mana Drain, Force of Will or even the OG Counterspell? Magic has become a creature combat based game and spells like Bolt are exceptionally powerful in that environment.

>Cry
Why? I'm looking forward to a genderbent Tibalt.
No one that dapper can be straight.

>if I'm playing burn there's not a single situation in which I don't want to draw Bolt.
Even that is a bad example
>Opponen's will kill you next turn, unless you remove two things
>Has 4 life

>If Tibalt comes back, he'll probably be genderbent.
Could I get a source on this? I've only fapped twice today

>I think Garruk is still in time out, after the whole triumph of savagery thing.
Dude, what? Triumph of Ferocity was printed in Avacyn Restored, in 2012, after which we've so far had
>Garruk's Packleader
>In Garruk's Wake
>Garruk, Apex Predator
>Garruk, Caller of Beasts
They didn't axe Garruk (no pun intended) because of Triumph of Ferocity, or they wouldn't have printed those.

In that case you're fucked either way since there isn't a single spell in a burn deck that can remove two creatures or deal more than 3 damage.

I could be wrong though. I guess you might be running Fireblast or something...

Magic is a complex game. I can probably think of situations where you don't want to draw Ancestral Recall as well.

Bolt is still the best card in a Burn deck by some margin.

>not running 1x lightning storm as a joke for surprise lethal

I did that once on accident during Scars of Mirrodin. I accidentally forgot to board out a single copy of Dispense Justice. Some dude made an artifact token copy of my Indomitable Archangel and had a Platinum Angel and some other shit making him invincible and his shit unkillable to shit that wasn't board wipes.

For whatever reason he decided to go for lethal on me with solo Platinum Angel and I dropped Dispense Justice for an instant win.

Believe in the heart of the cards anons.

>In that case you're fucked either way since there isn't a single spell in a burn deck that can remove two creatures or deal more than 3 damage.

Ah I got it.

It's cool guys.

He was only pretending to be retarded.

Wew boy, that sure could have been embarrassing.

>no burn decks run Boros Charm

Isn't White the jock color since it's about the community they'll never be a part of and the leaders they'll never be?

Nah, White is orderly and accepts Blue's nerdy logical approach

Red's niche is the same as the Fighter in 3.5. It's easy to build, doesn't require a lot of thought to play to its average level of effectiveness, and is perfectly competitive in very low-optimization environments. The problem is that, while there is a ton of room for advanced tactics that give you an edge but require you to be constantly on top of your game, everybody else when played to that same level of dedication and skill is just in a whole other ball park. And what's worse, not only do they have access to tons of things Red can never even dream of, the things they do share are ones that Red gets the objectively worse versions of, even if they're things that Red is conceptually supposed to be great at.

You misspelled "joke"

Not him, and I think I know what you're thinking, but really aside from Bonfire and maybe Earthquake-type effects, burn, like any aggro deck, is usually going for a faster win than one that relies on multiple creature removal.
Also, was that spacing really necessary?

eh, it seems like they are just removing classic red "balls to the wall aggro and spot removal" with very good early drops, and with afflict, I feel red should be the: take damage or take damage archetype.

The quads speak truth.