SCG Invitational Edition

SCG Invitational Edition
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=28&start_date=2017-07-01&end_date=2017-07-01&event_ID=47&city=Roanoke&state=VA&t_num=1&limit=32

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Keep posting deck pictures, that was fun

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-modern-negative-life-combo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>opponent has lethal on board
>been buffing removal the whole time to prevent him saving his board to ravager and putting I on a flier
>my only chance is to flip fatal push off my tasigur activation
>Flip both cards to reveal 2 fatal pushes
Got any stories of incredible luck tg? also should I bring in all my ceremonious rejections against affinity if I'm on the draw?

>Back at an scg open
>On Grixis Delver
>Tasigur on board, opponent has me dead on the stack with boros charm, hes at 3
>Snap in hand, no cards in graveyard, tasigur on board
>Activate tasigur in resp
>Thought Scour and Bolt
>Able to snap bolt in resp

God damn I love tasigur so much.

>Opening Hand on the draw: Grove, Karn, Karn, Forest, Forest, Ugin, Star
>Turn 1: Draw Tower
>Turn 2: Draw Power Plant
>Turn 3: Draw Mine

:^)

>deck pics

The fucking glare on the ultra pro eclipse makes it almost impossible to take a good shot. Anyways there it is

>playing eggs
>last sacrificed egg flips a faith's reward

speaking of tron I'll give the story of my luckiest opponent
>playing martyr proc
>trying out transformation DnT sideboard to beat tron
>game 2 on the play
>have thalia, leonin arbiter, martyr, martyr, plains, plains, GQ
>T1 plains, martyr
>he plays tron piece, map
>T2 plains, leonin, he's on 19
>he plays second tron piece, star, cracks for green, ancient stirrings and finds the last tron piece
>T3 thalia, GQ his land, he's on 16
>he plays tron piece, pass
>play martyr, another martyr I drew, he's on 11
>he forgets about leonin and cracks map, gets nothing
>has tron anyway, but plays nothing
>hit him down to 4, have path for a wurmcoil, still have lethal through a karn
>plays another tron piece, ugin, wipes my whole board
fuck tron

Fuck tron indeed, it fucks half of my decks and the other that can actually fuck with it dies to the meta.

>Playing Grixis Shadow yesterday
>Opponent at 6, about five lands
>Cast Ulamog, rip Tasigur rip land
>Tasigur activation in response
>Bolt in grave, gives me back Temur battle rage
>Attacks with Ulamog, Snap, bolt, chump
>End of turn Snapcaster, show Temur Battle Rage in hand
>gg wp

Your deck is too spooky for me senpai

All of my sleeves are greasy af, I am too ashamed to take any pics at all.

How does mono white go this deep to come in second at a go then take down the invitational? Am i missing something?

I mainboard thalia

she'll protecc you

Get new sleeves. And wash your damn hands. I also have greasy hands and make time to wash them between rounds.

I'm a very clean human being, I simply can't afford new sleeves, so they naturally get dusty.

Blame the lack of a playmat for the dust.

Can any Tron players comment on the advantages/disadvantages of switching from a tradition G/x build to the newer Eldrazi variant? I've been on G/B Tron for awhile now and I've had plenty of success with it but I've seen that the Eldrazi variant is putting up a lot more results lately; can anyone a little more in-tune with the meta give me the reasons why?

I have a friend who's on it.
Turn 2/3 thoughtknot into turn 3/4 smasher is really fucking great. Maybe that's why

Because Thoughtknot is a broken card on turn 2 and way too strong on turn 3. Becky is above curve too and requires a lot of resources to die.

The glue that holds everything together is Chalice. Turn 2 Chalice on 1 and Turn 3 chalice on 2 means your opponent can't play Magic anymore.

>Becky
What is this dumb shit

G/X builds have more inevitability and get tron out faster, but do worse against fast decks like aggro or death shadow. Eldrazi Tron is closer to a midrange deck, not caring as much about assembling tron and caring more about getting decent sized eldrazi out; because of this, it does better against death shadow. Eldrazi Tron also runs chalice of the void because it only plays one card with a CMC of one in the mainboard while G/X tron cares too much about assembling tron to play chalice.

I know what you're talking about. Why the nonsense name?

becky lemme smash

Kys

Do you get mad when people call them "Spaghetti and Meatballs" too?

No because that isn't nearly as stupid as what you're trying to push

Playing Goblin Rabblemaster into an empty board gets me rock hard.

As it should. Push existing makes it a rare occurrence though.

>No playmat

Dude, they're like ten bucks for a plain colored mat. Hell, if you're too jewy you can buy some felt from Wal-Mart and use that.

You need stop breathing like right now.

>chalice shitting on people trying to go to value town with broken1-2 drops
I guess blue players should learn how to play non fag strats or start packing abrupt decays

>Becky
>not just calling it a dumb smasher

>pulled death's shadow in mm17 pack
Fuck, now I have to build it

I'm not even that guy I just assumed that's what he meant

didn't mean to reply

I have a original zendikar one I traded for when it was a junk rare lmao

The guy who played at the GP cracked under pressure and kept bad hands

Also he ran into Affinity

>tfw wanna play infect, but current meta means meliras and pushes everywhere

>bought a playset zendikar deaths shadows last summer
>price still hasn't gone through the roof

Meanwhile fucking street wraith is at 8$ or something.

Is affinity fun?

Yea very much so

How much do you like calculating combat math?

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I do love swarms of creatures, though

can someone explain to my scrub ass what makes Jace, Architect of Thought so good?

Every UW control list has 1-2 of him and Gideon of the Trials

He blanks Lingering Souls, draws you cards, and his Ult can often win you the game.

>Ult lets you search your own library

ok I get it now

>Flinging Death's Shadows

y/n?

No. How bad at magic are you?

Very. But the thought of flinging for 8+ gives me a boner.

What could go wrong?

No, you're genuinely bad at magic.

Use Rite of Consumption you fag. It's what people did years ago, and it's become irrelevant now when DS is better as a 1-drop 5/5.
channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-modern-negative-life-combo/

Didn't even know that card existed, thank you for fueling my dreams and my jank.

I can't help but notice that there's a Fling in this deck.

Is there a ultra hyper ultra SANIC fast aggro deck I could build for FNM's?

Meta is infected with Tron's and DSJ decks.

Infect.
You don't have Probe to stay safe against removal anymore, but you're still fast as fuck.

Yeah. DSJ

>Deathshadow
>"You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way"
>Deathshadow

You're not beating with DS user, you're using it as a combined 3-mana 26-point life shift.

Are you new?

If your life total is less than 0 and an effect (such as the one from an opponent’s Abyssal Persecutor) is keeping you from losing the game, Death’s Shadow’s ability will actually increase its power and toughness. For example, if your life total is -2, Death’s Shadow gets +2/+2.

Why do you think the linked deck runs Phyrexian Unlife and Angel's Grace?

3-mana 26 point life shift isn't even the beginning.

>go to negative retarded with your draws
>Whirlwind slam Death Shadow
>Slam dunk Rite on table for [insert ridiculous number here] damage

It's not hard to grasp

>Veeky Forums, bad at magic since literally forever

Yugioh fag here. How balanced is mtg compared to other card games? Are there decks that completely destroy the rest or can you still beat them with something that would be considered non-meta?

Revolt Zoo is as sanic as a creature deck can go while still attacking in the same turn

Basically there's tron and non tron decks

Tron beats everything, everything else loses to tron.

Show me on the doll where Karn touched you.

Balance goes in ebbs and flows.

There's normally a handful of "strongest" decks but for the most part the balance is never so far out of whack it's impossible to play anything else. Right now the best deck objectively is some flavor of Death's Shadow, but it's not an insurmountable deck.

Right now Modern's got a pretty good amount of diversity, but people have all sorts of opinion on this card right here.

It varies by format.
Modern is reasonably decent right now. DS and Tron don't have many good responses, so they're more popular than they should be right now.

Standard is a shitshow and has been for months.

I don't follow standard but I heard it's been healthy since the most recent bannings. People been lying to me?

My info is old. Fresh data from MTGgoldfish tells me that there are four decks making up 65% of the meta.
That doesn't sound healthy, but it's far healthier than having two decks making up 80% of it.

Is wrench mind a decent replacement for hymn to Tourach in modern?

>sorcery speed
>better than instant speed removal insurance

>playing black
>allowing your opponent to have removal in hand

How bad are you? The link itself covers this detail. You read the link, right? You're not posting while uninformed, right?

How the fuck do I break this

It's the only replacement, so sure.

It's what 8 Rack uses, but 8 Rack is bad.
Use Whispers of Emrakul with the Delirium trigger if you can manage it.

Be aware that targeted discard matters more in Modern. Seeing hand is huge.

Phyrexian Unlife and cumulative upkeep cards. A lot of decks just straight up can't win against you game 1.

If you have access to red, try Rise / Fall

Bend it really hard back and forth.
You can also use a knife.

>Working slowly to trade to make a half competent Naya Zoo deck
>Format leaves the deck behind long before I get to finish it

I mean, I guess it's easy enough to turn into Burn, but still, kind of a bummer.

>cumulative upkeep cards
Sheltering Ancient becomes a budget goyf. Huh.

I'm not sure what else works with this. Most Coldsnap cards get stronger with more Age counters on them.

>mfw I was shit brewing immolating souleater/shadow +fling back in zendicar/phyrexian
>mfw now I'm shitting with grixis shadow

>waiting to have discard before comboing
>in a meta as fast as modern
>not being able to play death shadow with protection instead
kek

Pretty much anything with Persist or Undying. Most Cumulative Upkeep cards. Delaying Shield. Bunch of other stuff I'm sure.

I was thinking about buying this deck and if I swap out hymn I could use it for modern

I haven't played in a few years though so I'm not sure how well it works

Read the conversation chain back. It's already been made clear that the old DS combo is wholly inferior to DS as a 1-drop 5/5 beater.

Try to make more informed posts user.

Dark Depths.

see

Forgot image

Decree of Silence

Newfag here, when was the last time Standard wasn't broken? I picked the game back up just after Eldritch Moon came out and I don't think there was a decent Metagame ever since

INN-RTR was the last good standard environment. RTR-THS wasn't broken, but it was definitely dominated by B Devotion, UW Control, and U Devotion.

You sweet summer child.
Remember when Standard decks were dark temur jeskai with 4 Jaces and full fetchland mana bases along with Collected Company? It cost more than most Modern to be meta.

Why is Death's Shadow deck so much played? It is a midrange strategy, can't be that no one has a better idea.

SOM-INN was objectively better

It's a bit complicated. It's not hard to beat Death's Shadow, but the problem is that most decks capable of flooring it, have really bad Tron Matchups.

You wanna know the real reason that Grixis Death's Shadow is trashing Modern? Well for a start it isn't because of Death's Shadow. Just straight up. The main culprits of the deck are 1) the delve mechanic, 2) Snapcaster Mage, and 3) Kolaghan's Command. Command Snap Command getting back a Snap will break most decks in half. And while you've got all of this horseshit value being flung around like shit in a monkey enclosure you've got a 5/5 for B and a 4/5 for B WITH A FUCKING UPSIDE raining down. Oh and lets not forget the Negate for U.

Fuck Death's Shadow itself, it's only 4 copies in your deck. The rest of the deck is raw format face fucking value.