Let's Talk Horror Veeky Forums

What scares you the most?

What was the most frightening tabletop experience you've had?

Also, does anyone have that pdf about themes in Lovecraftian/eldritch horror and how to translate those themes to ttrpg?

Other urls found in this thread:

macabregallery.com/en/mark-powell/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What scares you the most?

When the OP doesn't post the original pic size.

>LE CREEPY SCP IMAGE XD
Go back to Plebbit, Tv Tropes or whathever shithole you come from.

Have the non ant version you mong

A woman in an asylum I worked. Funny thing is that she wasnt dangerous or anything like that.

>What was the most frightening tabletop experience you've had?
My character dealing with his own jungian shadow, manifested through a centaur-like being whose equine body was a coffin and the human body was a weeping statue afraid to show her face. Took me RL two hours to figure out the simple idea that my PC had to forgive his father.

>Also, does anyone have that pdf about themes in Lovecraftian/eldritch horror and how to translate those themes to ttrpg?
Seconding that.

>A woman in an asylum I worked. Funny thing is that she wasnt dangerous or anything like that.
What was so scary about her, then?

Vomit and drunks. I'm the life of parties.

When a homeless Jew autist inserted himself between me and my brother and lectured us all on how he would love to play the D&D but it's against his religion.

>Lovecraftian horror
Literally for infants.

Well...

I was an intern at a mental hospital once. I learned more in my time there than at any other period of my life, a very good if sometimes tense and dramatic experience. When I went to pick a patient on a wheelchair from her wing to the art workshop, I saw a woman standing. I'm not sure of some details, I remember she had only a t-shirt, but I can't recall if what covered her sex from my view was the shirt or the large belly she had. Either way, I was embarrassed, even if I already knew how much personal privacy the patients hadn't. While I waited for the one I came to take for the workshop, someone explained about the woman. The reason she had a belly that looked like a seven-month old pregnancy wasn't a child, but a tumor. Which also explained all those knobs, it wasn't a smooth belly like one sees on expecting mothers. Her doctors had already booked a surgery to remove it, but no one expected much. It was a recurrence of the tumor, and she already had gone through a surgery before. However, it was a mental hospital. The reason she was there for I-don't-know-how-many years wasn't her body, but her mind. In that room, there was one person absolutely oblivious to all this, her eyes towards the ground but never focused on anything. It was the woman herself, completely alien to what was happening to her. Those blank eyes. Seeing them was the most scary experience in my life.

I was actually the one who'd spook my players during games. We played a simplified version of CoC which encouraged less skill checks and more RP and such. Either way it's all about setting the mood just right, setting up your world and its rules, and then when everything is aligned, slowly start fucking with them and their expectations, both in and out of game. Be an unreliable GM, play around with the timeline, change a detail of the world that should not have changed, all that good stuff. If your players are invested and willing to get scared, tactics like that will spook them solid and they'll love it.

Even though I know it's impossible, the thought of being turned into a girl deeply disturbs me.

I've fucked with my players a couple times. Once I had them go through a dark canyon forest while being stalked by something. Didn't get to peak suspense though due to the rogue running into the thing.

Later did a solo session where the player visited an illithid city. Describing the alien geometry, along with the fact that half the city was above him, inception style, really tripped him out apparently.

I don't know if you're just trying to start up fetish shit or not, but if you're being legit, yeah I can see the terror in that, especially if we're talking Eddie Gluskin style.

I'm being legit. I'm not sure which would be worse, being turned into a "girl" by some terrible surgery, or being turned into a fully functional biological female by magic or something. Body horror surgery is icky enough on its own, but at least with our modern technology I wouldn't have to worry about the possibility of getting pregnant or having to deal with having a legit period.

The sensation of being trapped with encroaching doom from all sides.
The original Night of the Living Dead kept me up for a month.

Parasites.

I have a recurring nightmare where I look into a mirror, and I have a blemish. Naturally, you want to squish it to void whatever filth happens to be trapped in your skin, but when I do, fucking spiders pour out, and I'm left gawking as I'm covered in literally hundreds of spiders.

The scariest thing I could imagine is just being riddled with parasites, something utterly foreign that's using me symbiotically to suck my nutrients, but exists imperceptibly beneath my skin to use me as a walking meat sack. Like if I had a tape worm, I'd probably go nuts and try to cut it out of me.

Does anyone know the name of the artist? Reverse google search brings up dozens of links to the Creepypasta wiki, and images of a clearly similar style, also creepypasta wiki.

macabregallery.com/en/mark-powell/

The knowledge that if there is actually some weird shit going on here it's right at the edge of society, even right around us, and we never seem to know about it.

Now and then stuff triggers that fear, though I don't think that table tops are terribly good at it. It'd have to be a throw away sort of thing probably, or a rocks fall everyone dies moment if it was actually "explained".

A few events I can think of that triggered this:
>Wandering a closed off, private road near my house and finding that someone had nailed carpets to the trial. They were new towards the front but got older and moldier the further you went back, to the point that they were stupidly slippery and dangerous. And the number of no trespassing signs grew and grew as you got closer to this startlingly large house across a small bridge. We never did cross that bridge.
>Be in Prague. Find this weird painting on the side of a building that was clearly done in the same sort of paints that the building itself had been painted with. It's a large, slender humanoid figure with about eight arms. The figure was just a silhouette but someone obviously put real work into making this extremely crisp image of whatever the hell that was supposed to be.
>In China. Find a small stall that sold toys. Mostly super cheap plastic garbage or colorful little dolls. Except for one. Sitting up above the stall, right where it's looking at whoever is standing there, is a doll in a black dress with a skull for a face. It looks a little like a porcelain sugar skull, only without the extra artistry that makes it look pretty rather than creepy. It's just a ceramic skull, ontop of a tattered black dress, with wiry black hair, poised to look right at anyone who steps up to the stall.

Obviously I buggered off from all these places rather than messing with the stuff. Like I said, it's a weird fear that crops up every now and then. Most of it doesn't sound too creepy unless you're actually there looking at the thing.

Do you hate [spoilers] Liberals [/spoiler] as well?

I have many phobias that limit me in real life and I like to use them as tools to scare my players since I know perfectly well what scares me and how to describe it, I can make my players' skin crawl.

Kind of stupid now that I think about it but it was just a speaker.
>playing Cthulhu v5 with a friend as GM and some friends of his as my fellow players
>we're a group of guests at a fancy party in an archelogists' house and shit goes wrong real fast
>we're informed by corpses mauled and torn apart that there is a furious beast somewhere in the building
>I open a door
>hear a fucking giant insect screech right behind me and make a 2 meters jump
The fucker had hidden speakers in the cupboard behind us and had a controller to activate them. Fucking thing made my heart pound like it was gonna rip out of my chest.

bump

I can't say I've ever had a scary TT experience, but for rl creepyness, i used to live across a valley from some friends of mine, to get to their place there was this path that wound through a little bit of bush, like 50m or so.
I fucking hated that path, I don't know why, but just creeped me the fuck out travelling it at night, even with the streetlight at the top end to aim for, I avoided it as much as possible.

Tornadoes. I remember back when I was a kid when my family was driving towards Ft. Worth, TX and a tornado touched down in the area. I hid under a blanket even though we couldn't even see it since it wasn't in the same area we were at.

In CoS my party ran into a random encounter where we found a noose hanging from a tree. My character saw herself hanging from the noose. Our rogue saw his missing sister hanging from the noose. Everyone else just saw an empty noose. Pretty mild compared to the others on this thread.

Tabletop related but not involving an actual game, I was reading Erin Evans' D&D novel Ashes of the Tyrant and the scenes in the catacombs where the dragonborn are getting slaughtered by the demon were pretty brutal to me. Especially the part where the protagonists found out a dragonborn got sealed alive inside of a sarcophagus. That's a shitty way to go.

my deepest wish is to be turned into a fully functional female capable of being pregnant

we seem to be complete opposites.

>no one believing you
>every one interrupting you
>the world is literally ending but everyone tells you you're crazy
>I guess I'm crazy
>turns out you were right and the world ends
every fucking nightmare I have is along these lines