EDH/Commander General

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What is the best EDH variation your group plays?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/solkanar-demon-tribal-edh/?cat=type&sort=type
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>no discord
Jesus farting fuck you salamander, why can't you just fucking put it in there? Clearly everyone likes it, it's just a bunch of butthurt tards who can't handle it because they're not part of the club.

>What is the best EDH variation your group plays?
Star is fun

>thread question
We haven't played it yet, but I'd like to try EDH Emperor

>sperging this hard

I will not help you shill your server.

I hope it won't appear in any title for a month so you can finally kill yourself.

I love how you're always the first post in a new thread, bitching about the lack or presence of the discord link. Seriously, is that the only reason you come to these threads?

You're the one shilling. You do realize that by not including it, you make me evermore powerful, right? If you wanted to kill it, you'd ignore it and let it die a slow painful death, but as long as I know it means something to you, I win.

Keep whining bitch nigga, when your right, your right and I'm always on the money.

And it seems like you people always come to this thread to bitch about me bitching. Why do you hate something people like?

Please get a trip so I can filter you.

secret partner

Get a trip so I can filter you. I bet you play some scrub shit like Godo, or Maralen of the Mornsong.

My Zur's having a giggle m8.

Does anyone have any spicy tech for the new Neheb?

I'm planning on retooling my Feldon into it, with Hidestugu as my secret commander. The objective is to ramp stupidly hard, cast Hidestugu, play Neheb the next turn, and just shit on people with a giant fireball. Seize the day is a backup option, and I'd like to just shit out a bunch of damage doublers and wham for the fences. In theorycrafting, the biggest problem is early game, and I'm not too sure how to fix that, outside of rocks, rocks and more rocks.

Ignore discord posters.

If one of them manages to make the OP and put the link to their shit there, ignore it.

If they start screaming about how their link isn't there, ignore in smug and SILENT satisfaction.

New question, what are some commanders you HATE and why. I'll start.
>Zur
The world's at his fingertips but it's always the same linear combo.
>Maralen
Because she never works the way I want her to, as anything other than a poor man's Sidisi.
>Kalenme
She's not only bad, she's a flavorless abomination of idiocy. Gitrog is more of a meme but is at least a reasonable commander. Samut is more stapled but has non-terrible showings in Magic Story. I would be happy if Kalenme was never mentioned ever again, but I'm not going to get that so I might as well bitch about it.

What are the "official" rulings on bringing in cards from outside the game?

Playgroup agreement on scope.
Usually a 15 card sideboard is accepted, rarely some people allow from entire collection.

In casual your entire collection I guess.

During tournaments your sideboard.

I can't see him working out of a Feldon shell, but you seem to have a good general idea of where to go.

Consider Malignus and Goblin Game to also make Neheb generate inordinate amounts of mana. Of course, run Fork and that new one (Reiterate? Reverberate?) and any other similars since it's usually better to spend 2 to copy a spell rather than spending +2 to X. Also, why Fireball when you can Comet Storm? Fireball divides.

>New question, what are some commanders you HATE and why.
UW Daxos. Every single time it hits the field, you end up eating an unblockable attack, exiling something awesome, and getting it played against you.

You really should take your meds and go to sleep

I think I misspoke, I used "fireball" as a general word for an X damage kill-the-table comet storm spell, but you get the gist.

How do I actually get my kill spells? Is there any way to reliably get that stuff, or do I just have to pray for magical christmasland? Neheb seems much better in the 99 of a boros or rakdos deck than he does as a commander, but goddamn I want to have him in the command zone all the time.

Anyways, Malignus is a fantastic idea. I think Quietus Spike also procs his mana generating ability. Is there any equipment/red auras that gives a creature indestructible, or is Eldrazi/Akroma's monument my best bet?

You can't.

You can't, unless it's explicitly agreed upon before hand.

Both wrong, you need to ask first, no sideboards are allowed in tournaments.

People are saying sideboard but wouldn't it be exiled cards?

"Exile" is an in-game zone, and all old wordings of "remove _ from the game" have been oracled to "exile _".
"Outside the game" means exactly as it says, a card that was not in the current game to begin with.

I think exile is technically "removed from the game, but still part of it, for the purposes avoiding of shenanigans". As in, "removed from the game" is errat'd to "exile zone".

>Guy at LGS playing """""""wacky"""""" U/R
>Pulls off some Warpworld cast through Hive Mind copied 3 times over shit(or something very similar)
>Sits there with shit eating grin
>Whole table (6 players) just votes his turn doesn't count
>Leaves after he realizes the owner isn't kicking 5 people out over casual EDH

How do you feel about this /edh/? Did we violate the spirit of the game?

I'm pissed fa/tg/uys! Why the fuck is land destruction and taxation effects so frowned on in a boros deck for commander if that's what the fucking colors do! Like there's an unspoken rule about not using LD and if you do you're un-fun. That's what red and to a lesser extent white do. It's like saying ramping is frowned upon so nobody can ramp because it's unfair and puts the caster way ahead of curve.

My play group gets so butt mad about a single stone rain, or demolish. Fuck, our maelstrom wanderer player got so pissy when I ghost quartered his gaeas cradle (from my mono G Titania) I can't imagine how it is for other boros players. I'm currently brewing a boros deck but it's just so damn hard to find an efficient game plan that won't distance me from my play group.

Is my playgroup just a bunch of shitters? Should I just build it the way I want to?

>Looking through some old unsleeved cards.
>Suddenly nudge into a card with a nail.
>Its dented.

Also I just cracked upon a foil liliana of the veil. Should I sell or put into my favourite deck for flavour/bragging rights?

You leave Godo out of this!

Ah, I thought it was the same as for 60-card tournaments but I guess not.

Nah I've been with plenty of groups who do this. Same sort of scenario to boot

>Goblin Game copied ten times
>Give him a chance to take it back
>Tell him we're not going to do it
>He insists we do it
>"It's fun!"
>Skip his turn and play without him for the rest of the game
>Our faces

If no one else was having fun, and he consistently pulls that sort of shit, then yeah, that's fine.

Sell it and build a whole new deck. I cracked a foil Prime Time and sold it immediately. It was banned a few days later. Was able to get a lot of smaller stuff I needed for other decks.

The only endgame for chaos decks is making your opponents give up. Sounds like he did that, but then REEEEEEE'd when everyone else wanted to keep playing their game.

However, your correctness is relative to how autistic that guy was.

It was jon who did that wasn't it?

>How do I actually get my kill spells?

Use any or all of the following
> Saturation
Having multiple options to kill with is fairly important. It's why you'd run Goblin Game alongside Hidetsugu, or even Fireball alongside Comet Storm
>Wheels
Classic wheels will actually draw you a lot of cards. Looting is fairly similar. When you're playing what amounts to a combo deck you don't care that most such effects are card-negative or card-neutral, you just want to get the RIGHT cards
>Colorless Draw and draw-like effects
Never underestimate the power of Moonring Mirror; it starts at "weird, personal howling mine" and if you wheel to hell the damn thing goes fucking insane. Problem: others may not underestimate Moonring Mirror either. Scroll Rack and even Howling Mine are also fair calls
>Planar Portal
I used to consider the portal an EDH staple, and it never really let me down, at least not when I was going for big mana. I still consider it in any deck that needs some specific cards and might have trouble getting them, which seems to describe the situation you're in.

Ramp hard to ramp even harder; this is the way of Neheb.

MLD makes it so no one gets to play the game. When the point of making a deck is to play the game, then putting all your energy into making sure no one else can play is rather frustrating.

That being said, targeted land destruction shouldn't be an issue. It is frustrating, such as when someone destroys my bounce land when I only have three lands on the field, but getting rid of particularly powerful nonbasics is really the only smart thing to do. Try proxing a Pentacle and see how soon they play TLD.

>moonring mirror
Wow, that's spicy as Fuck. To make sure I get it : moonring your day exiled cards to your hand, then your hand is exiled by it, so if you do it again you get your hand back.

Jesus I'm going to memory jar the shit out of some people. I owe you one man.

Nah, twas a rando at Uni.

Why stax is no treated the same way? It's so much worse,

Cause if you team up and kill the stax player (or the stax pieces), the game goes on. There's no out after MLD

Stax makes it more difficult to play and requires a bit of thought to play around. MLD is the equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't even think about playing for a while.

I'm not building a LD edh I'm building Archangel Avacyn/ the purifier edh. Which happens to contain 3-5 LD cards (not counting my wasteland/mine/quarter package) but there is no recursion for it. It's whole focus is basically stall out long enough to play angel tribal

The game is over turn on turn 3 against teferi Stax, but you need to wait another 30 mins for him to close a game. Someone at the table can maybe interrupt him but you still need to endure his turns and doing nothing for a lot of time. MLD is either you draw or not, you can recover pretty quickly, here it's a slog no matter what.

MLD is one spell that instantly wins the game due to unequal setup. Stax is procedural and "equal" in the sense that it effects everyone. A new player sees Armageddon, sees your mana rocks, and goes "fuck". A new player sees a stax lock and needs it explained before they get mad.

I was just referring that no matter how little MLD there is, people get fanny flustered over it. It's not like I'm Avacyn angel of hope + worldslayer or Armageddon.

Your playgroup has a very thin skin it seems. It is a one thing getting mad over unexplained Obliterate "for teh lulz", but if they are mad about losing any lands at all, or tactical MLD, maybe you should find different people to play with.

yeah, any hand you exile to trade with the mirror becomes part of what you'll get the next time you trade hand with mirror.

>There's no out after MLD
There is exactly the same out as against Stax, except it's even easier. Once a stax lock has you to zero permanents, its lock pieces don't go away (well, maybe the smokestack does but the rest, taxing your spells and preventing your untaps don't), they will be there as you try to recover and fight back, holding you down and making it so you can't do what you want to do. Once MLD fires, it's done. If you actually held lands, had rocks and dorks yourself that survived, had a reasonable board beyond your lands, or fuck it all get a little lucky and draw some more mana, you can regrow quite reasonably. Sure, the player that resolved the MLD will probably be poised to develop faster and win, but a team effort can often take them down and if they fired off their armageddon because lolrandumb it's a moderate irritation at worst.

>goblin game copied 10 times
>hurrr it's a wierd card you are gone
that's not wacky that's a wincon
if you told him to fuck off then you better be doing it for every inf combo as well
it's not even that hard to resolve

Anyone have any secret tech for Mina and denn? My variant focuses on land creatures and buffing them/making them fight non land creatures

Imo it's not like warp world where resolving three times does nothing. If it actually does damage to a player, maybe it should be counted. However goblin game is fucking annoying so idk

If you didn't want to do it you should surrender, he was probably trying to kill you in a stupid way but still. Telling someone who wins the game, or is trying to get a huge advantage "no you don't, fuck of" makes you a much bigger asshole than him.

Any opinions on this?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/solkanar-demon-tribal-edh/?cat=type&sort=type
Not really sure how the mana base should be, honestly feel like I could get away with mostly basics and filters, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Wishes used to be able to grab exiled cards before they were errata'd

I remember because you could do this cool trick where you would cast cunning wish with mirari in play, snag a sweet card from your sideboard with one and get back an exiled cunning wish with the other, and basically tutor your whole sideboard

>Imo it's not like warp world where resolving three times does nothing.

That has the potential for a lot of ETB triggers. Even Scrambleverse could have important decisions to make in between each copy.

You leave the bandit king out of this

You can't run immortal servitude

>Whole table (6 players) just votes his turn doesn't count
>>Tell him we're not going to do it

You should have addressed whatever deck the guy was playing before your started getting halfway through a game and deciding "Nah fuck that we don't like your play, take it back" Is definitely a cunt move, either play it out or just scoop and start a new game if it has you that upset.

You are right, I'm an idiot, I'll swap that for Sheoldred or something

Funny foreign cards, go.

>Play EDH with 2 other friends
>One is actively competitive while the other just plays casually
>Friends play proxies which leads to competitive friend having extremely powerful threats with easy ways of getting them out while other friend is obsessed with flavour and is almost never a threat
>Always having to target competitive friend otherwise he'll completely take over the board
>Gets mad that I never attack casual friend

Anyone else have this problem at your table?

Obligatory

>tfw can't buy this anywhere
Life is pain

>translators left off the line that actually counters a spell
>card literally does nothing other than reduce its own mana cost

WURMSPIRALMASCHINE just sounds cool

>LongestCardNameEverElemental.txt

It's all over the place it just costs 20 bucks.

Oh that's going in Grenzo

Thank you for this beautiful piece of tech

Spicy tech cards under a dollar?

I bought Oath of Lieges a while back for 50 cents and love that card. Changes the dynamic of the game drastically.

Also Martyr's Cause is a great card, super spicy.

>walker of chains in the hall of intestines/viserca
Neat.

It could be said that he won and we're just gonna finish up our game then. We all surrender to him but want to continue with what we have since it wouldn't effect the board state in the slightest. This man also used Topsy Turvy in his decks and would sneak it in moments before games started. His shenanigans were hardly tolerated at that point.

>Irritated Devil
>he's only mildly irritated

>card is Showstopper
>this translation transliterates back as "Circus with Funny"

"Schluss mit lustig" is german for "playtime is over", there is no Circus.

Germans really busting those stereotypes wide open.

What does that mean?

Do your cards have different flavor text too?

>What is the best EDH variation your group plays?
1v1 French Rules.
The closest we'll ever be to playing Vintage.

Spanish Life Fast and Die Young are Carpe Diem and Tempus Fugit because the translator if a huge pompous faggot.

>Spanish Life Fast...Carpe Diem
It's also the name of Sieze the Day... in German. Spanish is something else.

>Meet Christopher Moeller at a Con to get a comic signed.
>See Sylvan Ranger print
>Turns out WotC edited the art to make her less smug and small breasted
>Chris says it's not the only, first or last time they do that.
Fucking puritans, wether it's the WBC or SJWs they can't help ruining fun.

Choosing someone's turn "doesn't count" during a game is some pansy ass bullshit that isn't fair at all.
Should have played it out, or conceded and then refused to play against the randumb deck in future games.

no. The flavor texts are just awkward translations.

Germans have no fun. That's the stereotype. Tacking on, "There is no circus"...

Eh, fuck it. Joke is gone.

>denying us our smug tiddy elfs
fuckers

Love Moeller's art, though. Jelly you got to meet him.

Out of curiosity, who do you guys figure is objectively the strongest Commander of each singular color (you may include Colorless if you feel so inclined)?

I wouldn't exactly consider Aggravated Assault "spicy," but it does seem like a necessity, as does any form of additional combat phase and/or damage doubler you can get.

Planechase EDH is wild and wacky, though I think I need to remove some cards to make the games faster rather than longer. Stax planes aren't very fun. Naya immediately breaks with cloudstone curio, though.

Obligatory vote for NewNeheb in monored.

>tfw thinking of getting into EDH
>Doing Animar
I-I think i'm gonna do it folks.
99 bucks and it's still a Budget Build
Being a poor spike is truely suffering.