Sacrifice Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/magicthecirclejerking/comments/6l9fme/bottom_5_scoring_submissions_of_the_week_from/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hmm, that gives me some ideas, thanks.

>Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked by one or more creature without flying, it gets +3/+2 until end of turn.

Budget alternative to LoS.

Is it OP? Maybe I should take out the second ability and give it +1/+0 instead.

The discard ability needs a mana cost.

anything else?

shouldn't the crew cost be 0?

why not give it flash and bump the cost up to 2WW?

The card is designed to negate the choice effects of Thoughtsieze and Inquisition on turn 1, but will still die to removal.

I made comparisons to Faerie Macabre and Turn Aside. I figure Faerie Macabre is like Cremate, but change the cantrip effect with extra exiling. Turn Aside counters something targeting a permanent you control, and I figured if it said "you" instead, the spell would be worth half a Blue mana with a scry effect to make up for the other half.

I don't like straight hexproof on something that can get so stupid big.

(not going to take up image, so I'm going to just type it)
So it's like:

2WW
Guardian Geist
Creature - Spirit Soldier

Flash, Flying
You have hexproof.
Discard Guardian Geist: Counter target spell or ability that targets you.
1/2

The thing is that Aegis of the Gods exists, and that's a 2/1 for 1W that also gives you hexproof. The drawback is that it dies to enchantment removal because of how it's an Enchantment Creature.

Countering spells that target players is also a one mana effect, and you are also countering abilities as well. If you really want to stop T1 discard, you should make it like Force of Will where you need to discard another card as part of the cost.

>Devour (cost) (When this creature enters the battlefield sacrifice up to (cost) creatures you control. This creature gets +1/+1 counters equal to the number of sacrificed creatures.)
or
>Devour (cost) (When this creature enters the battlefield sacrifice (cost) creatures you control. This creature gets (cost) +1/+1 counters)

Devour is an existing keyword, user.

sorry, I'm a scrub. would it not make more sense with the syntax I posted though (or similar)?

It also makes it an entirely different ability.

Notes:
>Revealing your hand when an effect doesn't require you to will not cause this ability to trigger. Only card effects and the rules can trigger this ability.
>If an effect says "Reveal the top card of your library.", the next time state-based actions are checked, this card's ability will trigger. If "Play with the top card of your library." is in effect, each time a new card appears on top (such as by drawing), this ability will trigger. If an effect causes you to continuously play with your hand revealed, whenever you put one or more new cards into your hand from anywhere, this card's ability will trigger.
>It doesn't matter how many cards are revealed, just that cards were revealed. If an opponent uses two Thoughtsiezes on you, that opponent will lose 2 life eight times in a row, even if you play with your hand revealed.

This card will probably never exist, but I like the idea of spinning the "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." bullshit by mixing it with "too much information".

I see that now. devour X with a single X and one green is way overpowered, especially with hexproof. I think XXXGG or at least XXGG would be more acceptable.

This card is really interesting and cool. I would trim the flavour text to "nothing to hide, nothing to fear"

This is not mono blue.
>If an opponent uses two Thoughtsiezes on you, that opponent will lose 2 life eight times in a row,
I don't understand what you are trying to say here.
>even if you play with your hand revealed.
You presumably can't reveal something that is already revealed, just as you can't untap something that is already untapped.

I fucked up and had "8 life" in my head. It's supposed to be
>four times
>2 from 1st Thoughtsieze, 2 from 1st reveal trigger, 2 from 2nd Thoughtsieze, 2 from 2nd reveal trigger.

I was following the card effects, but I think that multiple instances of card reveal should be redundant.

thoughtseize says "target player reveals his or her hand", not "target player reveals each card in his or her hand". each thoughtseize would only trigger the effect once. either way, one mana B or U is way too cheap, especially if you can have more than one out at a time. make it 1BU or 2(B/U) at the least.

how would this interract with something that does X damage to more than one creature? like if there was a spell that did 1 damage to all creatures on the battlefield amd there was 8 creatures on the battlefield would you then get to choose where all 8 of that goes or would it do something stupid like trigger off of the single damage stated on the card and negate the other 7?

Last attempt for now. Hopefully this design at least approaches functional.

I tried something similar myself a while ago. I think it'd be a lot easier to do something like
>Whenever a noncreature source you control deals damage to a creature, you may have ~ deal that much damage to target creature.
But that's just me.

Presumably it would replace each of the 8 instances of 1 damage, and let you stick it where you please.

Could easily have 2 base power. Late game, your opponents with empty hands are happy to have you swing in.

his or her library into his or her graveyard

I know it's tumblr language, but "they" saves text space. Probably unnecessary in this case.

Good point, thanks. Guess I'll have to think of something better. Some sort of mill variant? Or should I start thinking about applying telepathy to creatures rather than player? Eh, I think about it in the morning, tood tired now.

First off, "they" isn't a word used only by Tumblr, idiot. Second, nobody cares how much room it saves if it's not the right wording. I think I've seen "they" used once to refer to players, and it was on a Scheme card that was referrring to all the non-Archenemy players at the same time.

Has sac-mana dorks ever been made (aside from Eldrazi Spawn/Scions)?

Generator Servant

Generator Servant is the most recent non-Eldrazi I can recall. There are a lot more older ones like Tinder Wall and Wild Candor.

Oh. Was it ever good in standard?

Also, is the concept of my card good for Megumin, or is there a better concept? What should be tweaked?
I did Megumin this way because 1) She's overspecialized to cast only one spell. 2) She has points dedicated to that spell, such as reduced casting time. I changed this to uncounterability, but it could be changed to something she actually has, such as "Quicken"-ing it. 3) She loses her ability to stand and can only use the spell once a day due to lack of internal mana.

I gave her a mana cost to her mana ability so that players are required to invest mana to get a big ritual pay-off so they can cast a big Timmy equivalent of a sorcery. The way the card is worded, however, it can easily mean "name one of the rituals in Storm" or "Turn 3 Emrakul through the breach that can't get Negated or Remanded"

Generator Servant is pretty decent. I don't remember how good it was in standard but I'm fairly certain it saw play.

I thought I had a sac mechanic in the chamber but I can't remember it so here's Exploit

And another where you actively want to sac other creatures

It feels like these both are betraying the core conceit of exploit - that you can get a creature, a spell, or if you sac something else a creature and a spell.

If you don't sac anything with Mudbutton, you get a very anemic 1/1 for 3. If you sac something else, you get a decent burn spell but replace it with a 1/1. The correct play is to almost always sac Mudbotton itself to ensure you get both effects. You could just make Mudbutton itself bigger since the effect is fairly costed.

Gifted Opportunist has the opposite problem. It never wants to exploit itself, but a piker is fine, and it's crazy good if you can sac a Servo. I would switch the effects - in a pinch you can he exploit himself to energize you, and reduce to just one +1/+1 counter if you sac an artifact.

I kinda disagree-- i get the idea of what you mean, but to be honest I dont think you cast any of the exploit creatures as creatures in constructed and in some cases like Sidisi's Faithful for example you probably dont even cast as a creature in limited. Mudbutton Merrymaker will probably be a better creature in a hypothetical tribal oriented limited format just to cast as a creature. But I agree that it could be bigger anyway. The spell effect is powerful so i went with the safest numbers I could give it and make it feel still worth playing, but I could see it with piker stats or even letting it be a grey ogre.

Gifted was more an experimental idea where explicitly it wanted to sac other creatures with exploit, though I agree that having the creature just be an effective sorcery is a missed mode. The abilities honestly dont really work. Black can support energy but this card is pretty clearly aimed at the WB Servo sac deck in limited which doesnt really want energy. I just liked the flavor that if it busts open an artifact creature, it also drains the energy on top of pumping itself.

Trying to do a similar twist on Soulbond getting an additional effect with the correct creature type with Kithkin but cant quite nail the wording.

It has no P/T?

I suppose that makes it balanced

>[...] you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
There's already something similar, Elite Arcanist, I think.

Stop using actual Magic art.

Just decided to leave her in her diamond form all the time now.

Seems like an interesting idea, but I feel like the Prowess feels a bit off here.

This probably shouldn't specify color, since the color of cards even not on the battlefield can be changed. No idea on balance, ask the color guys. As for wording, let's try
>As ~ enters the battlefield, choose an instant or sorcery card name.
Not entirely sure on that, since I couldn't find any precedence that has you choose a card name between two types.
>2, T, Sacrifice ~: Add RRRRR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells with the chosen name, and those spells can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Last part taken loosely from Cavern of Souls.

I'm with the other guys, I feel like neither of these should really have Exploit. Also, art in use. Facevaulter and Gifted Aetherborn.

Rolled 45 (1d123)

Let's roll the dice!

Rolled 79 (1d123)

Rolled 39 (1d123)

rollan

Rolled 120 (1d123)

Rolling.

Seems OK. Though since equipment aren't always controlled by the controller of the creature, I think I'd make it
>Equipped creature has double strike and "Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 2 damage to target creature."

>U/W Planeswalker
Ugh, really don't want to make a totally new planeswalker, here's a new version of this Jace I've been trying to finish for a while.

Rolled 104 (1d123)

Forgot to roll again.

>-8
so at what point does target player's deck stop being exiled?

Rolled 60 (1d123)

>G/W Planeswalker
Sonuva... Ugh, fine. This is a new version of a planewalker I made quite some time ago. It was originally made to be essentially a demonstration of how a +1/+1 emblem could work on a planeswalker. Of course, then Gideon, Ally of Zendikar came out, so I'm just going to completely redesign this.

At what point do people start being straightforward and tell me the ult needs to cost more?

>R/B Land
Eh, have another take on Jace instead.

I was just pointing out that the wording in the ult doesn't state when the targeted library stops being exiled.

Neither does this. And?

the difference is that inverter only consolidates the graveyard into the library. there's no indeterminate amount of time where the library remains exiled and can be interacted with.

Oh, I get it, you're confused by the "for as long as they remain exiled" bit.

just like gonti, your jace ult has no stipulation for taking the cards out of exile because of the "as long as they remain" wording. if you added "until end of turn" or something similar to the exile effect then the issue wouldn't occur.

What issue? I think you just don't understand how these cards work. They use this wording because it is possible for the cards to get pulled from exile, and Wizards doesn't want you to be able to continue looking at them or casting them if that happens.

Also, you realize that casting a spell takes it out of exile, right? Like, imagine you exile a card with my Jace or this Gonti. You cast the spell, which puts it on the stack. But the spell also exiles itself on resolution, so it goes back to exile. But because it left exile, the effect of the card that says you could look at it and cast it ends.

I fully understamd how both gonti and inverter work. you don't seem to understand that just mushing the two abilities together doesn't exactly work. your jace gontis the entire library of target player, but there's no end to that effect. there is no stipulation in the wording of the ability to allow the library to move from the gonti effect to the inverter effect.

Why does there need to be an end to the effect? And I don't understand what you're saying with Gonti anyway. It seems like you think the effect can't work just because Gonti only exiles one card, while Jace exiles a bunch. But why? What does it matter that one card exiles only a single card, but another exiles a bunch of cards? It's just a matter of scale.

at what point does the jace controller stop having the target player's library being exiled? is it for as long as the ability is on the stack? is it until end of turn? when do we move on to the inverter effect? if I play this ult can I simply exile my opponent's library and pass turn, forcing them into a deck-out?

>at what point does the jace controller stop having the target player's library being exiled?
When all cards exiled with it have left exile. When does Gonti stop having that one card in exile? When it leaves exile.

>is it for as long as the ability is on the stack?
No, it's for as long as one or more of the cards remain exiled. Same as Gonti, but many cards instead of one.

>is it until end of turn?
No. Do you think Gonti is until end of turn?

>when do we move on to the inverter effect?
Because I thought it was interesting. And it's not like Jace hasn't exiled entire libraries before.

>if I play this ult can I simply exile my opponent's library and pass turn, forcing them into a deck-out?
If that player has no cards in his or her graveyard to be shuffled into his or her (now empty) library as the ability resolves, then yes, this is mostly likely exactly what will happen. If that seems too strong, I did post another Jace with a different ult.

so the inverter effect is completely pointless then. the way the ability is worded implies that you made the ability as a "I can cast anything from my entire deck (or yours) and then reset the graveyard/deck.", but being as there's no direct end to the exile effect it doesn't work that way. I was simply trying to point out the fatal flaw in that regard, but it's clear now that it was never your intent to make it that way.

Black shouldn't get straight up indestructible without a cost. It also goes against flavor, since when she's in diamond form she can't use her psychic powers.

You try it then. I'm beyond tired of dealing with this card.

I don't know the other guy's problem is, you're not somehow putting the library zone into the exile zone, just the cards.

Boring. What's the point of rolling for challenge if you're going to ignore it half the time and repost something old.

Is that why he acted that way? He thought I was putting the entire library zone into exile?

I didn't repost something old.
>This is a new version of a planeswalker I made quite some time ago. [...] I'm just going to completely redesign this.
It's a new card based on an old one I did. Here's the old one in case you're curious. The oldest date I have for it is August 2014.

As for the BR land thing, it's because I don't really enjoy designing lands too much, since balancing them is almost always a nightmare.

it has nothing to do with zones. the issue is that there's no defined point in time where the inverter of truth half of the ability takes place.

Yes it does. As the loyalty ability continues to resolve.

Rolled 92 (1d123)

Sorry, just wanted to say that I'm not angry or anything, just exhausted. I've been incredibly frustrated with the card, I'm just going to shelve it, at least for now.

Anyway, I'll roll again, and this time I swear I'll hold up to the challenge. Completely new card.

Sorry man, I still have zero clue what you're talking about. I seriously just think you don't know how the effect works. I'm not saying this to sound like "I know so much more than you pleb" I honestly just don't even know what your complaint is. And since nobody else has ever given me the same complaints, I think you're alone in this. Sorry.

I think I figured it out and I must be more of a scrub than I thought I was for missing this.
>cards in library are exiled, then graveyard is shuffled into library.
>exiled cards may be cast by exiler so long as they stay in exile.
my confusion was in the ordering of the ability's wording.
it would make more sense if the wording was "Exile all cards from target player's library face down, then
that player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library. You may look at and cast cards exiled in this manner as long as they remain exiled."

XXXGG ???
Are you crazy user ? It'll be unplayable.
Thought XXG is a way to go.

Rolled 84 (1d123)

>Rolled 92 (1d123)
>B/G Land
Inspired by Diamond Valley. Please let me know if it's unbalanced. It kinda stuns me that lands without mana abilities used to be made. Just kinda strange.

Anyway, might as well keep going for now.

Oh, so that's it. Well... yeah, you do seem like a scrub. Sorry. But I will look for more precedence and see if I can come up with a better way to word the ult.

Miren the Moaning Well says this is ok.

4 mana seems a bit much to sac your own creature just for some lifegain.

Rolled 54 (1d123)

Damn, completely forgot about that. Oh well. At least I found some nice art.

I'm not going to repost the card, but here's some new wording for the ult
>Exile all cards from target player’s library face down. Then that player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library. You may look at and play those cards for as long as they remain exiled.

>Rolled 84 (1d123)
>B/U Land
Ugh, another land? Oh well.

Interesting use of domain.

Make it 4 mana and remove some of the downsides.

seems a lot overpowered

Nice, but I feel like it should have a lower P/T. (2/2 or even 1/1)

Very interesting!

I don't think its that unbalanced considering its only affect creatures, so you can't turn a big mass damage spell into a one-turn-kill.

I like this version more than what I saw previously, its a lot more solid and without extra complications. May I ask why the first ability is no longer an activate ability?

This seems massively broken. You should at least limit the cost of the spell to match the cost of the creature. (and probably remove prowess, or lower it to 1/1)

Interesting, but I agree with (if it is magic art indeed)

Very interesting!

Its similar, but Spellshaper works better (probably in a broken way) for more expensive spells.

Oh man, I rather have the version I commented above =(

Very nice combination.

Cool

Nice

>Emma Frost
Well, I'm glad you like one of the cards. I think I'm just going to shelve it for now. Again.

this has so much snowball potential, especially in an odric token deck. I love it, but it should cost more.

Looks like you guys finally drove cooldown guy to reddit.

Source?

Here

reddit.com/r/magicthecirclejerking/comments/6l9fme/bottom_5_scoring_submissions_of_the_week_from/

Breaks the game.
Lord of Extinction + Adamaro.

I feel like the P/T requirements are awkward. just restricting it to creature type might be better?

sac 2 creatures make 2/2 zombie
sac 2 zombies make 4/4 horror
sac 2 horrors make 8/8 demon

So, I tried my hand at 4-color legends. What do y'all think?