youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw
youtube.com/watch?v=KI8oby6NBeg
youtube.com/watch?v=6JapDyUwAu8
youtube.com/watch?v=4Gt5KgJtwcY
youtube.com/watch?v=M4vJn0IikkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=91v7VPe4r2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I feel you, user.
Currently playing and our DM is far from wanting to stop, but I'm building cool BBEGs that will never see the day.

What are some campaign ideas for Modrons?

Is the current 5etool dead with no update?

Just got done running a lengthy one-shot involving modron, some slaad, and a micro-plane. The tl;dr is that Primus loved this lawful little projection of order to the point of locking it away for safe-keeping. However, through stuff, a few slaad get past the lock led by a green into grey slaad, ready to complete a crazy ritual to drift the plane towards Limbo.

Enter the players who frightened normal citizens who never saw an adventurer in their life, commanding a contingency of modron, and fighting in a pseudo-Limbo-microplane hellscape.

So things happened in our last session, and my Warlock is technically considered dead.

He messed around a lot, and after killing the royal family (shapeshifters, but we couldn't prove it, so my Warlock took the responsibility on himself), he was publically executed.

Except he wasn't. Alter self is quite the nasty ability to have at will.

How do you build from here? I need to "remake" the characters personality and background.

How would you suggest reintroducing the character to the party? The GM seems to expect me to walk up to my party and say "hey guys I am not actually dead", but doesn't that seem like a kinda bad idea?

I feel like the optimal route would be to somehow establish a character backstory and new personality, meet the party and either claim to be a friend of the old Warlock (with a shitty deceit attempt to allow them to "know" he is lying) or just subtly hint he is the old one, in the "keep this a secret" fashion.

Any good suggestions?

What can I do to get the most out of Paladin's Oath of the Crown 7th level ability? From SCAG:

>Divine Allegiance: Starting at 7th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to magically substitute your own health for that of the target creature, causing that creature not to take the damage. Instead, you take the damage. This damage to you can’t be reduced or prevented in any way.

The best idea I've got is finding a way to stack lots of temp hp. Is that the best way to go?

Multiclass into moon druid to have an absolutely ludicrous hp pool

I'm confused. So you altered yourself to not die in the execution?

Just tell the party, unless they have a major reason to hate your PC then there's no reason not to really.

Keeping a major secret like that rarely does any good or works out in my experience. I believe small character secrets (lying about where they're from, their family and etc.) can work.

Secrets that are major (race, class and entire fucking identity) normally end incredibly badly or become annoying to other party members.

If you do decide to do this, let people know out of character about it or at least one party member in character.

I believe so.

>The GM seems to expect me to walk up to my party and say "hey guys I am not actually dead", but doesn't that seem like a kinda bad idea?

No actually, there doesn't really seem to be an issue with this approach. What, do you think they're going to turn you back in to the authorities?

>ludicrous hp pool

Now that I think of it, how viable is a barbarian/moon druid multiclass?

Pretty good. Raging with bear totem on top of burning druid spells for hp regain means you have one of the toughest hp pools in the game.

Nerdarchy ran an episode on such a build.
youtu.be/Dnfa8fm1XPU

It's probably better early on. I think Rage can apply to your wildshape's attacks (since it's only spells that can't be done anymore), so you'll be a very strong, very bulky and very angry bear up until level 4 (Barb 1/Druid 3)

Unfortunately, a level 5 Barbarian has Extra Attack, probably also GWM/PAM, and also a totem power, meaning that Barbarian 5 is better damage-wise than Barb 2/Druid 3, since there's not much way of increasing your wildshape's damage via feats. Furthermore, entering Rage and using Wildshape are both bonus actions.

It's not unviable, though. Tank-wise it's amazing since you've basically got a pool of 60ish extra HP in your two wildshapes, which is effectively doubled due to Rage. Plus, you have some extra spellcasting utility, since you're a 2nd level spellcaster, which can come in handy out of combat and when you're out of rages.

Oh no, the players know. They were there when everything happened. OOC is not a problem.

I like the PC, but given the campaign, I can't continue using the same "character". I can easily just alter self and recreate a new backstory and personality, it is more about how I go about doing that towards the party IC.

No, I am worried that the other characters will continue to act like we are old buddies, when their buddy is dead. If we can at least keep it slightly secret at first, we will have an easier time navigating in this political clusterfuck we are in.

Someone help me please.

I've got to write a backstory for my new character cause my Wizard died. I love the idea of Druids and decided to make one.

So far I've got Half-Drow Underdark Druid who's trying to find the living members of his family after they escaped from the Underdark when their house was destroyed. Also hoping to get revenge against the house that ruined his.

That's all I've got though and I feel like an ass if I don't have at least a bit more.

Most GMs will relish a chance to play. If my player had an idea for a campaign I'd definitely let them run it after the current one is over!

Why not let the characters know and tell them to keep a secret. It's probably better than to have it come out. If you're not expecting them to betray you. Perhaps masquerade as a relative of one of theirs to make sure that the friendliness isn't suspicious.

I've been the DM for my group for well over a decade at this point, every time we finish a campaign I ask if anyone would like to run a game and every time they all hem and haw and say I should keep doing it, the one time I said I didn't feel like running it we just stopped playing for two months until I agreed to DM again.

Please user, for the sake of DM's everywhere, offer to run the game. Give your DM the chance I never had!

>Half-Drow Underdark Druid
For what purpose

A justifiable reason to take the Underdark land option for a Half-Elf Druid. I really just wanted Stinking Cloud and to bring something different to a party of Humans.

So /5eg/, my players have killed an old ancient king's restless spirit, and whomever lays the killing blow upon the monarch inherits his Legendary Greataxe and becomes the only person capable of attuning to it. The party found out at the end of last session that some Duergar also wanted the hammer, and now those Duergar have to (Obviously) kill the PCs to claim it for themselves.

How do I make a skirmish between 7 players and 40 or so Duergar interesting instead of a slog?

Tower Defence where the Duergar keep finding new references and tricks.

Bonus Points if you make the toughest guys enter first and slightly weaker guys enter every minute or so after. They never expect the strong ones first and so will hold off using their best resources.

>references
Entrances.

Eh, it's a little edgy, but hopefully you know what you're doing with it.

Just write enough backstory to be able to answer:

>Where did you come from?
>What made you become a wanderer?
>What makes you want to work with the party?
>What are your goals as an individual?
>Who hates your character, and has a very good reason for hating them?
>Outside of the party, who could be called an ally/friend to your character?
>Who does your character dislike or oppose in an irrational way?
>Describe three things about your character that would be considered 'average' for a person of their race and origins.
>Where does your character see themselves in five years?

Anything else is mostly window dressing. All a backstory needs to do is give your character a personality, goals and some idea of how to play them, while giving your DM something to work with to tie your character into the world.

If you have trouble writing backstories, just bulletpoint the above, there's no need to write novels or plot out every inch of your character's life up till now.

>Party found out some Duergar also wanted the HAMMER

Meant to type Axe, dahoy.

A level 5 Barb had Extra Attack, but the bear attacks twice anyway.
Rage is a bonus action, yes, but note that Wild Shape is a bonus action OR a regular action. So you can do it all on your turn if you like. It does carry a big risk though - if you don't get take damage or get an AoO you lose rage.
However, that's where a fun combo comes in. You're not getting GWM/PAM, so you grab Sentinel. With careful positioning, you can guarantee your target attacks you or provokes an AOO from you. Unless they spend their turn dodging or something (which is a little meta), you'll be good to go.

Alternately, just wild shape and go nuts and rage on round two.

I require some good arena 1v1 fight music. Any personal favorites?

>Perhaps masquerade as a relative of one of theirs to make sure that the friendliness isn't suspicious.
Oh that is perfect.

I will play the younger brother of the Paladin who already plays like a Team mom. He won't come back either (dead, but that is not public knowledge due to the circumstances, so that is actually good.

Thanks man

Depends on who are the ones doing the fighting.

You can't go wrong with RULES OF NATURE

A Human Fighter vs Half-Orc Pugilist. The usual affair.

youtube.com/watch?v=Iof5pRAIZmw

Alright thanks, I can work off this. I know it may seem a little edgy but I'm really hoping the avoid both the "tortured existence" and "psycho loner" sides of edgy.

Decided to run him the way 2e Druid's Handbook describes True Neutral, that in the grand scheme of things he sees very little reason to act unless something threatens the balance of the world.

In all other decisions he does whatever he can justify as being the right thing to do for nature. Be that working with the party at killing the Red Dragon, or the Gold Dragon because they could both cause issues to the balance.

Basically will side with the majority of the party most times because the chances they cause major issues to balance is pretty much impossible. The book also makes Druids seem like vengeful and petty people so I might skip that part.

Also not going to be an idiot and he'll keep the fact he's more then a weird looking Half-Elf to people he knows well.

No Satan, not yet.

Siege battle?

Hole the party up in a tower or some sort of fortification. The Druegar siege the party, building fortifications, firing magical not-cannons, starving the PCs out, undermining the foundations, poisoning the wells, launching slave goblins via catapult etc etc

youtube.com/watch?v=KI8oby6NBeg

I like it!

PUGILISM YOU SAY?!
youtube.com/watch?v=6JapDyUwAu8

Honestly the entire Killer Instinct OST is amazing. Composed by Mick Gordon, who also did the recent DOOM game, if that's any indication of his credentials.

Just a few more if lyrics ain't your thing
youtube.com/watch?v=4Gt5KgJtwcY
youtube.com/watch?v=M4vJn0IikkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=91v7VPe4r2s

True. Also, since neither Barb nor Moon Druid get tremendously great buffs after level 3 (since Extra Attack isn't that important if you're gonna be wildshaping), you could also consider putting the rest of your levels into Warlock for Armor of Agathys, which will boost your damage and durability by quite a bit. But that'll delay your spells and ASIs/feats more (although stats don't matter much for moon druids - might as well go Variant Human for Sentinel).

here
seconding this.

The entire OST is amazing, but it may feel a bit too modern.

Polemos fits well with this fight, good one!

Extra attacks I think are actually pretty good with wildshape, no? They stack and your wildshape usually has one big attack, so having an extra on top of that makes it really good, or at least competitive with just scaling your wildshape.

What race is Accord? [Spoiler]Warforged?[/Spoiler] What about Devola and Popola

Damn you phoneposting, damn you to hell.

Ah, really? I'm not sure. The Brown Bear, for example, has 'Multiattack', which allows it to bite and claw once, but the Extra Attack feature specifies 'when you take the Attack option'. But you're not taking the Attack action, you're taking the Multiattack action.

>they stack
Not with Multiattack, it doesn't,and if you're going Barb 5, you're stuck with CR1 forms until level 11, so even the strong-one-Attack animals are unimpressive. Which kind of makes the whole exercise useless.

Correct. Extra Attack would let you use the better Attack twice, but it's fairly marginal an increase for a four-level investment.

You can I think still Attack twice, which means your Bite (1d8) + Claw (2d6) becomes two Claws, which increases your damage slightly. Also, since you're an angry and very strong bear you can also grapple and shove.

I'd much rather get spells and more powerful forms then +2.5 average damage.

Like... Yeah. I'd probably do Druid X/Barbarian 2 for the build.

Rage also gives you another extra +2 on top of that, and you can reckless attack for advantage.

And I'm thinking things like giant elk going in for ram and then immediately following it up with hooves.

That's a very strong combo, but are you sure your campaign will go to level 11? Are you sure it will continue long enough after that you get to use that combo much?

You do get the +2 on each of your Multiattack hits though, so it's still only a net 2.5 damage increase.

Honestly, Barbarians should really get more rage damage. Still being stuck at +3 at level 15 is so underwhelming.

Eh, you can do giant toad bite->swallow at 9, and you don't even get your second attack until 7 anyway.

Either that, or everyone else should get less damage (with HP values cut down to compensate).

Returning to this whole multi-attack thing was a mistake.

I'm making a class, at level 14th using 4 resources point I can make two shortsword attack 2d6 + bonus 12 + bonus attack 2d4 + ability 4d6 for an average of 38 point of damage and an maximum of 56. Is this balanced? What is the average damage at these levels?

>bite->swallow at 9
You can't, actually. Swallow's not a weapon attack; it's a proper Action. It doesn't qualify to be doubled up with Extra Attack.

Oh yeah, good catch. I got confused by the "make a bite attack" part.

>Rage also gives you another extra +2 on top of that, and you can reckless attack for advantage.
Which is why I said I'd go 2 in Barb.

The fact of the matter is you're using 3 levels to gain a decent damage increase, in exchange for losing access to CR3 forms when you get to level 11 as a Druid X/Barbarian 2.

I gotta say I'd much rather be a Giant Scorpion dealing 2d8+1d10+6+6 with a chance to grapple them twice. Also they have to save for half damage against 4d10.

Elk with Extra Attack on the other hand has 2d6+6, save against prone and then either 2d6+6 or 4d8+6.

Assuming everything fails it's saves. Giant Scorpion is 42.5 versing Giant Elk is 37.

If they pass saves then Giant Scorpion is 31.5 versing Giant Elk with 26.

You're much better off boosting new Wild Shape forms then getting Extra Attack.

I WAS GOING TO POST THIS EXACT SONG WHAT

Hey 5eg, one of my players is a Gunslinger and I wanted to give him something that's more befitting the archetype of the quickdraw desperado. Is this broken?

Holster of the Desperado
Wondrous Item, Requires Attunement

If a one-handed firearm is stored in this holster, you may use your reaction at any time to instantly draw it and make an Attack Action with it. This attack action can only be used to attack with that firearm, and can not be used to take a Grapple or Shove attack or reload a firearm. Placing a firearm in the holster requires a full action, regardless of class specific traits or feats.

The idea being that once or maybe twice per fight the Gunslinger can quickly draw and fire a backup revolver or something of the sort.

In addition, it means that regardless of where he rolls on initiative, he can always get the first shot off on an enemy.

>neither Barb nor Moon Druid get tremendously great buffs after level 3

You mean, other than Conjure Spells that ass rape the action economy, or higher level spells to keep concentration of while in wild shape, or do you mean Wild Shaping into elementals?

Should add that it's intended that this attack can be a multi attack.

It's essentially an extra action surge that can be used at any time...

That... actually wouldn't be a bad feature for a quickdraw-focused fighter (be it a gunslinger or a samurai).

Does the Half-Orc Savage Attack feature get affected by Great Weapon Fighting?

I should think so. Even if it doesn't it seems like an obtuse oversight rather than Rules-As-Intended.

>requires a full action
Just action. Full action isn't a thing in 5e.

The fact it's "Make the Attack Action" rather then "Make a Weapon Attack" already does that. No need to add it in

Other then those the actual function of the item's cool. I'm normally not a fan of tailor-made weapons that only exist to buff a certain party member's abilities, but this one's nice.

>making an artificer
>looking up details on mechanical servant
>no restriction on flying
>can make a giant mechaeagle

Neat.

The Sage Advice clarified that GWF affects only weapon damage dice, which *is* what Savage Attack adds, so I'd say yes.

>Force Blade of Speed
>Longsword +2
>+2d4 Force damage
>3 times per day, when the sword is sheathed in its hilt, you can perform a quick draw as a reaction. This can also be done as soon as an enemy enters your reach, along with any other attacks made using your reaction.
>This attack is made with advantage, and scored a critical hit on a 18-20. The total damage of this attack is made with force damage.
>You regain all 3 uses at sunrise.
I plan on giving this to the Bladelock in my party. He had medium armour and shield, and uses a Longsword already. He is very far behind the rest, and I was hoping this might help bring him up to par.

Thoughts? We have some rather large gaps in damage among a fighter with GWM, and a Sharpshooter UA Ranger. The Bladelock is not at all close to the rest.

He has a magical medium armour related to his patron, so I dont want the sword to be as well. Force feels like a Warlock element, so I wanted to stick to that as well.

Do the other members have dope magic items as well? Because this is pretty strong.

That's pretty fucking damn powerful. I mean that's alright if you're going for that type of thing.

Personally I'm a fan of very few Magical Death Sword's and etc. in a game, with most people only getting 1 magical item that's a flat increase. I like lots of little items that are utility though.

Personally I'd make it 1d8 just because if he's going Sword and Board it feels nicer to roll 2d8 rather then 1d8+2d4. I'd probably not make it a +2 sword either, maybe +1 Attack at most.

Ranger has a +1 Bow that ignores cover and doesn't require ammunition.

Fighter has a Greatsword +1 that allows him to cast fly once per day.

But are doing a ton more damage than him.

I actually had great success with the Giant Vulture myself.Sure the stats are a bit lower but Pack tactics is always on and it hit very consistantly

How do you tell another player that his character concepts are horrible and ruin the tone of the game for the rest of the party?

How do you tell the DM he's doing a shitty job by enabling him?

1d8 does sound better with a Longsword d8. Yeah I'll do that.

He is the only one without a +x weapon, but I was just thinking that, among the other players, a +2 still wouldn't being bring him up to par, but only get him closer to actually matching the others.

I like giving out 3 pieces of magical gear to each person.

You find a group where you aren't a That Guy ruining the fun of the rest of the party.

Alright. Well no idea what level they are but think of it this way.

Fighter's gonna be doing 4d6+6+2+20 with +2 attack at level 5 with his weapon.

Ranger's doing 2d8+6+2+20 with +4 attack,

With this Hexblade's going to be doing 2d8+4d4+8+4 with +9 attack. Another 2d6 if he uses Hex.

That's Fighter 42, Ranger 37 and Hexblade 31. Hexblade gets +7 if he's using one of his spells on Hex though. Once they get to 11 as well Hexblade will get another +10 damage.

Personally I don't like it, sure it brings the Hexblade up to the same level in damage... but he has +5 Attack over them and +2 AC with a shield.

Oh neat, I honestly haven't looked too much into things yet since it's still a level off. A giant mecha bearded vulture swooping at you would be a great start to a fight.

> calling out That Guy makes you That Guy

Yeah, nah, you're a fuckwit

>Hey buddy, stop being That Guy, it's totally fine if I want to play a Chaotic Evil Rapist Cannibal and attack every NPC we meet on sight
>Why are you ruining my fun?

Level 10.

He is not a Hexblade. He is a Bladelock with GOO pact.

Oh dear lord. Give him the weapon as a 1d8 damage and maybe make it a +1 weapon. Other then that yeah it's fine, he'll need it.

>I dont like this thing both players and GM are okay with
>I want them to stop
>That makes my group full of fuckwits and That Guys. I am not to blame, clearly.

>I... I'm think you are ruining the tone of the game
>GM has no problem with it
>the player is still ruining the tone!
I think you might have the wrong idea of what tone the GM wants for his game.

Have you never encountered a GM that allowed something they really shouldn't have? Unless the person quoted plans on elaborating pointlessly assuming the worst is just fagging up the thread

Warforged, all. Well, maybe the descendant models of D&P would be basically human, what with the theme of the game being "What's the difference, at this point?"

>Have you never encountered a GM that allowed something they really shouldn't have?
Yes I have.

I left the group, because clearly our wishes and hopes for the game didn't align. I wanted something different than them.

I had the same thought at first. "Why is the GM allowing this? He clearly shouldn't." But then I thought about it like a normal social person would do, and realized that I was probably the issue, instead of badgering the GM who didn't have a problem with it.

If you are having a problem with something No one else does, they aren't the ones that should change.

He never said he was badgering the GM (if anything he implied he hadn't done anything). What you're describing seems to just assume everyone else in the group has absolutely no opinion one way or another. Again without saying the actual issue the guy has it could be either party at fault. Maybe the person posting is autistic and doesn't thinks monks should be in DnD. Maybe the questionable player wants to play a human transported from earth and turned into a dog person and the GM is just meekly accepting because he's bad at saying no. Without the guy clarifying you're just being an asshole assuming the worst

>player wants to play a human transported from earth and turned into a dog person
Not him but that's a perfectly acceptable character in some games. Especially in games with Furry players or DM.

>How do you tell the DM he's doing a shitty job by enabling him?
Alright, the first one is acceptable in a few situations but this one isn't. There's no way you can insult a DM and then expect to still play with him without being a that guy.

If you really think the DM is that bad and do plan to insult him over it (I can't say, he might honestly be a trash DM) then just drop out the game, find a new one and let him have his fun. No reason to burst his bubble because you want something different.

>Especially in
Only in

My point exactly.

You are assuming there is such a thing as "not okay". It doesn't exist. The most depraved shit you can think of, can be a-okay in the right group. If you dont like it, you dont belong in that group.

Before even confronting the GM with a "Shit I dont like" speech, you should always strongly consider if the others are actually having a problem with it. If no one seems to have a problem, and you are the only one who does, you should never start a "this should be changed" talk with your GM. Because THEN you will have GMs who just changes it because someone specifically asked to have it removed from the game.

What would you do with a magic shield?

I mean, giving it bonuses is obvious, but super boring. I am thinking of a magic shield that has effects outside of just +1.

Any good ideas? I can't think of anything other than some Evasion like ability, but assuming shield master, it quickly becomes redundant.

Can you move between Eldritch Blasts?

...all those who chose to oppose his shield must yield!

No, I don't think so, since the action of casting Eldritch blast cannot be split up. For Extra Attack it's specifically mentioned in the PHB that you can.

Since you're ranged, though, and have a pretty damn good range, I doubt this situation comes up all that often, right?

Could have it coated in some corrosive acid or flames or ice or whatever. If an enemy hits the shield (which you might define as 'when an enemy misses you by 2 or 3 points on his attack roll) it takes damage. 1d8 or 2d8 probably. Could also have you recover HP or temp HP if an enemy hits the shield.

Could give it some basic utility. Maybe it's got the Light cantrip cast on it, and the wielder can activate or dim it at will. You can also have it materialize from a ring or a bracelet, which would be quicker than drawing the actual shield.

How would you run a Fate (Japanese visual novel) game in 5e?

Different answer for different definitions of "between."

Unless otherwise prevented, you can always move before or after an attack and split your movement up with the attack.

Normally, Eldritch blast costs 1 full action and generates between 1-4 bolts. Even though they are separate attack rolls they are still considered to be fired at the same time, and thus there is no "between" to move in.

However, if you had obtained a second action through some means like Action Surge you would be able to move, cast EB with your first action, move again, cast EB with your second action, and then move a third time as long as you had movement remaining.

First of all, I would fuck off back to /pfg/ and keep my weebshit there.

Go on...

Assuming you allow it to be used as a thrown weapon, how would you rule it?

How much damage, and how would the interaction be? No AC bonus for the rest of the round, or does it just return quick enough to not matter?