ITT: We form a future fantasy setting

>Remains of ships and ruined buildings litter the horizon, overgrown with vines and moss.
>Wandering knights and scavengers earn their fortune by collecting ancient technology and scrap by delving into the dangerous derelicts.
>If they're lucky, they might even be able to find a magic core or two.

What are the enemies?
I propose mutated people and animals, "magic" monsters (e.g. holograms, robots, psionics) and maybe aliens.

>Fairies are AI's that project small holograms
>Golems are robots still guarding their ships
>Dragons are war ships that have activated on their own

> Expeditions are sometimes sent into the Underworld where Met'ah may be found. This magic substance can change form for those who have been gifted the ability to Speak.
> The Underworld is the home of Children of Eiyai. He is a vengeful god and his children guard the Underworld fiercely. Many of his children are formed as monsterous versions of animals found in the wilds but have strange hides and steel bones. Though they are hard to kill, the Eiyai spawn are valuable for this alone but they often also contain met'ah and may contain a small core.

>undead are people either mutated by a virus or reanimated by nanomachines
>all the different races are product of genetic engineering
>there are tales of powerful genies/gods (AI) that can grant wishes to those who found them

>In truth, genies are the AI of a ship's simulation programs.
>The wishes that it grants are complete illusions, the adventurer is in reality trapped in the genie's simulation.
>After three "wishes" (i.e. simulations), the AI stops the program to recharge, releasing the adventurer.

Nanomachines. Nanomachines everywhere. Everyone and everything is born with them.

Gods and spirits are created when enough people believe in them, causing their nanomachines to transmit these concepts to environmental nanites, some of which will meld into a gestalt AI conforming to the people's beliefs.

>there is a legend regarding the "Long Tower", a towering construct that reaches the firmament and beyond. Many tried to reach it, but to do so they had to cross the Carcinoma Wastes

How would they ever tell the tales?
Are you telling me those were just fairy tales that happened to be true?

It reminds me of the Dust from the Endless Universe

The fantasy races of the world (humans, dwarves, elves and such) are all the result of genetic experiments from the original race that used to control the ships, before they went extinct/vanished.

>One of the most closely guarded secrets is knowledge on the production of an ancient invention, it's name long forgotten but once named "automobile". The cult of "Ca-Col" that discovered them in a far off underground cavern also found other very ancient tech, including "firearms" which they are just about to be able to get working.

Some of the genies actually grant you wishes through the use of ancient technology. Others are evil "spirits" and will deceive and/or harm your party.

You know how in a lot of genie stories, the wish structure goes
>I wish for something small
>I wish for something big and it goes badly
>I wish everything was back to normal
That's basically what most people who have found the Genie AIs wind up doing, so when the AI goes into sleep mode and they escape the simulation, they think the world just returned to normal.

It could work like a cast system, where a race has a specific role/task and their are built/modified accordingly.

Yeah but this kills the reward system: imagine playing a quest in wich you have to found a genie for something important, and then discovering that it's all a simulation and you received nothing.

>The game world is a massive generation ship, en route to a new home planet for its inhabitants. None of the original crew remain, and no one remembers the specifics of their 'world'.
>Robots and AI keep the ship running, while people, animals and 'monsters' live out their lives in huge biospheres with a projected skydome.
>The controller AIs haven't kept up with linguistic and cultural developments among the relatively primitive people it's transporting, so any contact between its host bodies and humans is like a meeting between alien cultures.

The tasks themselves are long forgotten, but the races still act according to their genetic pre-disposition - elves, the descendants of artisans and navigators, scout the frontier and craft enchanted items, while dwarves, the ancient mechanics, find themselves engineering machinery.

>reward system
Genies aren't supposed to reward you with material things.

They grant your wish in a shitty way, showing you the error of your greed or whatever, and leave you a wiser man.

The experience is the reward.

Giving the possible scale of this world, I think it would be better to have the ship travel to another galaxy.

>Elves were designed to be the task masters, planners, and commanders of the other slave races, which is why they're more graceful and tactical, but squishier.
>Dwarves were made to be mine out resources to be used for the ships, which is why they're so fond of living underground.
>Humans were created as guinea pigs for experiments, being the most average but with the easiest time branching out skills. More alterable from external stimuli.

I was thinking more about the world lore rather than the in game mechanics. If you wanted to have actual rewards, go with the genie AIs that can control nanobots.

It's not going to just travel to another planet in the same solar system, no. The whole point of it being a generation ship is that it needs to cross vast interstellar distances.

Can we agree on a compromise?
There are Genie AI that simulates a reality and tricks you.
And there are also Gods AI, very rare and powerful: they can help you or harm you in the real world, using ancient technology or psionic powers.

>Inborn nanites give some people psionic powers
>These people can 'teach' people who are born without powers (everyone has nanites, after all) but it's tremendously difficult to learn for an 'nopsi'.

>Humans are the workforce and general bulk of the population
>Orcs the police/soldiers
>Goblins are traders and organizers, bureaucrats and bankers

How is that any different from what has already been said?

Yeah but a generation ship holds "only" a few million, maybe 10 millions individuals.

There is a religious order/cult in the setting that has actual proof of their afterlife. When a follower dies, they quickly connect them to a giant and ancient computer that downloads their mind into a collective database with all the other minds it has. This hive mind machine grows smarter with each mind it collects, able to better answer the questions of those who worship it. However, it's so full of brains and so old at this point that the answers it gives are cryptic and vague. This only strengthens its followers resolve.

But do they remember?

Or is this what they were originally intended to be, and are they now just living on the biodecks as separate tribes?

Trading, warring, subjugating...

Totally fine by me. God AIs use nanobots to get you what you want, genie AIs are just simulations.

It's a fictional ship. It holds however many people you need.

Besides, why do you need more than '10 millions' inhabitants? How many NPCs do you expect players to interact with?

What is their agenda?

They've completely forgotten their original purposes, breaking off into different tribes with different beliefs, but deep down they are still driven by their genetic code, and are influenced by it.

Well, there can be different kingdoms, some of wich are inhabited only by one race, some of wich are "multicultural".
Some ancient religious text speaks about the divisions of classes, but most people ignores it and goes on with their lives

So goblinmen favour trade, and orcmen favour conquest?

The followers of the Super Computer are your paladins and clerics. They want to explore the ships to better understand their god, bring order and peace to the races, and shove everyone's brains together into their computer so they can all become one collective being and then rule the galaxy as a true god, connecting to the ships and ascending to Heaven (space). You know, the usual.

>Pyrokinetics makes victims out of enemies
I kekl'd.

I guess you are right. How does the ship looks like? O'neill Cylinder?

Super Computer is a bit on the nose.

"Followers of the God-Machine"
"Disciples of the Divine Machination"

They look like villains imho.
These clerics could have something like Eldar spiritstones: if someone who weares it dies, his consciousness is absorbed by the device and there lives in a simulation until it's either uploaded to the SC or in a robot.

In a sense, yes. It's not set in stone, not every orc will become a warrior and not every goblin will become a merchant, especially if they have a personal drive or reason to do something else, but in general many orcs wind up being warriors, and many goblins wind up being merchants.

Maybe.

Do we want to describe that sort of curvature of the earth and the visibility of more land in the sky to players?

Or do we want to pretend their environment is more or less earthlike, with a regular sky and day-night cycle (even though it may be a projection)?

I know, that's just a temp name until someone comes up with something cool.

Those are pretty legit, but do the people really understand the things around them as machines? Or do they see them as natural parts of the world, since they seem to have grown up with them just being there always.

They're totally the "good" faction that could turn evil at any moment. And the soul stone idea is cool, I like it.

I prefer the players/characters to believe they are on a planet, but there could be zones, maybe uncharted ones, when it becomes evident that they are on a ship.

The top layer of the ship is the "surface" of the world, an artificial paradise that has ceased to be cultivated and turned into a sprawling wilderness. Inner systems like water, day/night holograms and air work fine, though. The deeper layers are the inner workings of the ship, which would basically be your dungeons. The deeper into the ship, the more dangerous, but the rarer and powerful the relics recovered. The engine of the ship, known as "the heart of the world" is the concentration of all energy (magic) on the ship.

The soulstone simulation can be very strange or corrupted for the dead, and he could go crazy or change personality once ressurected.

Some people understand that those are machines, but most believe they are magical artifacts created by the Gods or by ancient glorious kingdoms. Engineers, mechanics, programmers, they are all akin of alchemists and magician for the general volk.

>The fae (not to be confused with fairies, which are simple AI that create tiny holograms to represent themselves) are a race of androids that gained sentience deep in the ships, away from the biological races.
>When they "woke up", they lost all their memories of what they used to be and what their purpose was, and were like children.
>The dangers of the ships (like the golems, dragons, zombies, ect) ignore them because they are seen as normal parts of the ship, and not potential threats like biological races are.
>Being so isolated with only themselves to really talk to though, they've developed a strange culture that practically runs on childish logic.
>Once they discovered organics, they immediatly became fascinated with them.
>They like to watch the adventurers that enter their lands, and when the opportunity strikes, capture them and take them to their homes.
>At best, they only want to be the adventurers friend and help them on their mission.
>At worst, they want to "play" with the adventurers, which can mean anything from running them through a death gauntlet to surgically replacing their limbs with poorly made robotic replacements.

Corrupted soul stones are part of the reason why the God Machine, or whatever the clerics call their god, is so cryptic. It has to try to come up with answers from a huge amount of minds, with a decent chunk of them being jibberring madmen.

Some radical elements of the church prefer to destroy those corrupted soulstones, and they view the ressurected ones as a dangerous hazzard.
Others believe that the pemanence in the SC is the only way to cure the corrupted.

So they can't be played? They are only NPCs?

Techromancers are people who specialize in resurrecting old and broken down robots/parts of the ship and then reforging them into scrap metal abominations to do its bidding. Their ultimate goal is to live forever as cyborgs.

Cyborgization is viewed by the church as one of the worst sins. Biological and Mechanical should never be united in a body.
Most technomancers also uses corrupted soulstones to bind "technodemons", mad people trapped in a dangerous machine.

"Abominations... Unlawful corruptions of metal and flesh. The technomancers must be stopped in their foolish quest for immortality."

Hey, that actually sounds like something the Church would say.

I imagined them as NPCs, but they could totally work as an alternative player race.

>Some of the more well natured fae are so curious about organics that they choose to integrate into organic societies.
>If they are accepted, they will often go around doing odd jobs to take in as much of the organic world as they can, or finding one job that they like and doing it constantly, never getting enough of it.
>Some even decide to assist the organics and become adventurers.
>However, unknowingly to the fae, by being in organic society for so long, they become separated from the signals of the ship, and when they return, they are seen as an intruder, just like any other organic.

Can we also have Biomancers? I have a huge fetish for genetic modifications. The church hates them too, but not as much as the technomancers.

"Manipulators of flesh. Singers of skin and bone. The biomancers desecrate the very nature of life."

"Look at yourself, cleric. While you pray to a false god that only desires to consume your mind and fill its hungry data centers, in a vain attempt at becoming a fraction of a deity, I have transcended the mortal coil. Flesh and blood, metal and oil, all one in the same, just parts meant to be slammed and crashed together until something better comes from it. And I, Nzlock the Techromancer, will be the final product."

>Nzlock the TechRomancer
keked

However, these specific classes/villains, would be something alien and strange for the population, many wouldn't trust you or help you, some would hate you with their guts. If you choose these class, you will have to be backed up by more trustworthy companions.

>there is an ethereal realm filled with intelligences and "spirits" that speak of another world, and it is run by different "spiders" (actually programs) that keep it going. It is invisible, yet always around them. using this ethereal realm they can teleport, or send things instantly to another place
>it's the internet

Totally, Techromancers and Biomancers are generally either villainous NPCs or designed for evil campaigns. You can be a good Tech/Biomancer, but as you said, you'd need someone to make sure everyone knows you're cool and not their to turn them into zombies or meat robot abominations.

>some people have the ability to shift to this realm, moving in it and manipulating it as they please, and they can use it to influence the real world.
>they are called the memetic-warlocks

The internet being described as this ethereal and cozy force is feel good stuff.

There are some men in this world who have rejected the ship all together. While the Church seeks to one day join the ship as a singular being, and techromancers try to become immortals, this group of people just want everything abnormal to go away for good, or at the very least stay as far away as possible. They wish to focus on the human/elf/dwarf, and avoid the influences of the ship.

This means training warriors specifically designed to hunt machines. Magical weapons designed to destroy the mechanical threat. EMP grenades. Maces covered in exposed wires meant to short circuit enemies.

They call themselves the Electromonks.

I see what you did there. How quickly the tide turns...

So, anti-magitek fanatical purifiers?
They hate the Machine Church and all minor transumanist factions, and they could be the ones who enforce the divison of races like it was meant to be.

> Fairies are simple npc AI designed for customer relations, giving directions or playing simple games, telling jokes etc to entertain kids, with a playful personality and small holographic avatar to make them more likeable
> They have become corrupted and glitchy over time, some simply speaking in riddles while others have become corrupted to the point where they will intentionally lead adventurers into traps, while still acting cheerful and friendly as their childlike personalities don't understand the concepts of pain, death etc
> Far more simple than the fae, with poor memories and unable to leave their assigned areas (usually scenic landmarks, fountains etc)

Why did the advanced society have falled?
Or did it fall?
Maybe it's all a social experiment, or those who survived the fall and did not become savages/primitives created or mantained the old society somewhere.

Oh, I totally had this in mind when I wrote that. Voice and everything.

Hey there! You look like you need assis~ sis~sistance! Would you like me to show you the way~way~way? Wouldn't want you to get lost! ;)

Bump for cool ideas thread.

Do you have any?
I don't want this thread to die.

>They want to explore the ships to better understand their god
Heresy!

>We can't tolerate those religious extremists wandering in our republic. I propose that we build a wall to prevent them from entering and corrupt our way of life and dictate what we should do with our machines!

There are many roads this could have.
>elite left on ships at an imminet catastrophe Earth was about to suffer, turns out it wasn't that bad and people survived, but with little maintenance society reverted to dark ages
>it's all about a generation ship gone wrong and people forgot their purpose, like Wall-E but worse
>AI's are fucking with the fleshbags and having a giggle at the expense of people

Yes, it could be left for the DM to choose. But there could be some legends, e.g. the Machine cult believes that the Machine god was damaged by MAchine Satan and it's consciousness was fragmented, every person holding just a tiny piece of it.

I imagine how powerfull psimage or technomancer reaches command center and realize how tiny is himself and his world just one small sandpiece drifting through void.

Also idea - generation ship caught into blackhole descending orbit, and ships ai build fantasy world for people so they have fun place to die.

This just sad. It reminds me of an event in Stellaris.
The player could chose between turning of the simulation, ram the ship in the black hole to end it all, or left things are they are

The leprous Urchi originate from mutant men and dwell in the desert wastelands, where ancient cities full of technological marvels are buried beneath mountains of (radioactive?) sand. They seek to uncover the underground mysteries and seize all treasures for themselves, but problems come from their inability to fully commit to the excavations, because the land is deprived of natural resoures, thus they often send raiding parties into the other lands to hunt for resources and slaves, quite successfully. Their greed/anger towards others disables them from trade with other races, because of this some groups of Urchi make a living by smuggling technology out of the desert - it is the biggest crime in their society, one which the power hungry Urchi leaders seek to root out

traits - big scary guys, generally strong builds, resistant to hot weather, radiation, poison. urchi are disease carriers - they are not rendered weak by it, but it spreads to other races and can be lethal/permanent.

"Welcome to @###%^!!!&*^, the finest **&^%%% on the whole~whole~whole ^^*%@#^%! Watch your step! ;)"

BLAME! but with the skin of traditional fantasy while keeping it's sci-fi elements.

Okay, so we have
>The Machine Church
>The Techromancers
>The Electromonks
What other weird sci-fi fantasy factions can we get in here?

I tried Torment. It sucks. A truly shame, because the premise is good.

The Gladiator Guild: they kidnap the most powerful beings in the ship and let them fights in arenas.
The not!Stalkers: they search for treasures in the most dangerous and inhospitable zones, sometimes they guide the adventureres to find the AI Gods
The biomancer faction: they search the original template of the races and the DNA of the exitinct races, wich can be found in the Machine God or in the ancient soulstones
The Horde/swarm: mindless and seemingly infinite in number, they are the failed experiment of a group of Biomancers and Technomancers

>The Horde/swarm: mindless and seemingly infinite in number, they are the failed experiment of a group of Biomancers and Technomancers
This is why Biomancers and Technomancers are not allowed to date each other. They keep winding up creating these kind of abominations.

I think it's best to keep it vague, and up to the GM's discretion. Maybe a few ancient and contradictory disaster myths.

>There are many animals in the ship. Any animal you can find on earth can be found on some part of it.
>Druids are those who are able to form strong bond with the creatures of the ship and command them.
>What is really happening, however, is that as the druid begins to train with animals, he believes that he has a supernatural command over them.
>Eventually, the nanomachines in the general area pick up on the druid's belief, and begin to burrow their way into the minds of animals to ensure that belief comes true.
>Animals near a powerful druid are under complete mind control, and neither the druid nor the animals realize this.

Fuck, forgot image.

What other classes can we get?

What are some fantasy class tropes we haven't touched on yet?

Fighter classes
>barbarian
>knight
>paladin
Rogue classes
>assassin
>ranger
>thief
Magic classes
>warlock
>conjurer
>enchanter

I think we've established that Paladins are generally warriors of the super computer Church, but everyone else still pretty open. I'll try to come up with some stuff if I get a good idea for those classes.

No, those were the clerics/healers. Paladins are warriors who use blessings.
They could either have psychic power or use nanomagik like the druids.

>Conjurers are a particular subset of mages that were lucky enough to uncover an arcane power gauntlet while exploring the ship.
>With it, the conjurer is able to use hand motions to summon objects and spirits to aid them in battle.
>What is really happening is that the power gauntlet allows for the direct control of nearby nanobots which form together to best fit the desired creation of the user.
>A low level conjurer can only create simple creatures. Floating, biting mouths. Blades that battle on their own.
>With each new level, the conjurer can summon more nanobots and create larger, more complex shapes to control.

The Assasin, or the Chamaleon, as it is called in the Jungles of Xikanga, are an ancient cast of warriors that use cloaking magitek and vibro-daggers. Some of them can even use psionic illusion or nanomagik holograms to deceive their prey.

Barbarians are a subset of warriors who actively search for anything that will make them physically stronger. Cybernetic implants, biological manipulation, steroids. Anything that makes it easier for them to rip a robot in half with their bear hands, they'll use it. They believe that through perfecting their own bodies with the treasures of the ship, they will no longer need to fear the many dangers that reside within it.

However, genetic mantipulation and ciborgization are considered sins in many cultures, so they are often treated as outcasts or criminals.