Start describing a fantasy castle/location sustained by columns a hundred of meters tall

>start describing a fantasy castle/location sustained by columns a hundred of meters tall
>player interrupts to say how that's architecturally impossible

>describing a monster with two heads, one that spits fire and other that spits acid
>player interrupts to say how that's biologically impossible

>describing a weapon as "although looks like just a ray of light, is capable of shattering stones"
>player interrupts to say how that's physically impossible

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-nqFX7q1yUk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Autism is a terrible thing, alright.

Jesus Christ have they not heard of magic?

>"well, how about you come up with an explanation why it is working here anyway?"

>Player does that in three different stances
>Other player interrupts to say that's impossible to play with That Guy

OP would never lie to us.

They're playing a game with magic, the undead and dragons. Tell them to suspend their fucking disbelief.

"Here's a noose. Please take it and suspend your disbelief. If you can't, suspend yourself."

That is an amazing filename.

gay

I'm sick of all the fucking idiots who keep trying to apply logic of reality to fucking fantasy.

Makes me want to punch Lindybeige or whatever his name is

The castle stuff sounds like a nice place.

Skallagrim too.

>Makes me want to punch Lindybeige or whatever his name is

That's Lindeybeige alright.

For some reason I click on all his D&D related videos to see him bitch about how unrealistic D&D is.

But Warhammer Fantasy is A-OK by him.

I don't get this man. I would like to see somebody but their thumbs through his eyesockets.

It sounds like your players don't want a high fantasy game. I don't blame them, high fantasy is brainless rule of cool trash.

>Lindybeige
who

give me a minuto to google it because it looks like premim cringe

If your players are pointing out your "cool" setting is, in fact, shit, the problem is you. Not everyone likes Age of Sigmar and, in fact, a lot of people rightly think that overdesigned, childish aesthetic is infantile.

Simply repeating like a mantra BUT ITS MAAAAGIC misses the point of the complaint. Your world relies too much on arbitrary empty spectacle to relate to. It resembles infantile, dumbed down Marvel movies.

Doesn't skall mostly just shit on poor weapon design?

baito

I mean you usually know what setting you are in...IF you are going to play fantasy with sorcery and demons etc.

So the only reason to actually get all autistic would be a realistic setting or a historical one.

So I pretty much agree.

and your "ultra dark'n gritty" (now with 200% more Fuck) modern black-ops campaign that is just an excuse to jerk it over muh realism is no better

What's bait about pointing out if members of a GM's group can't get immersed in his setting there's a mismatch of expectations? If the group can't agree on what they want, the game won't survive.

As to the rest of my post, I don't like the modern high fantasy aesthetic derived from World of Warcraft, Age of Sigmar, etc. I am therefore sympathetic to others who dislike it.

you perfectly know what's wrong with player interrupting with those complaints, you have read the thread and seen everyone talking about how retarded it is to not be able to suspend the willing of disbelief. You have no fucking idea about the world, the situation, the interaction that happened but had to craft an entire critique about it
>its infantile, dumbed down marvel movies, your world is cool and resembles age of sigmar and you repeat "its magic" like a mantra
you have no fucking idea and you just made up all of that based on absolutely nothing because it is impossible that, from the info that OP gave, you could have decided any of that

why, did you have to do all of that just to feel superior by giving a different point of view than the rest of the thread?

10/10 bait

Just another clueless attention whore.

Well then you should be "clear" what setting you are going to play in. Some people enjoy Brighthammer/Super Heroic stuff.

Seems like a miscommunication issue. If you want "realism" or a more down to earth setting make it clear from the get go.

It's sad you assume the only alternatives are toyetic high fantasy or modern realism. Fantasy has a long and varied history, as does sci fi.

Would you jump to the same conclusions if players expecting Traveller were presented with Flash Gordon?

>(now with 200% more Fuck)
To be fair, there are a fair amount of normal people who say fuck a lot. Like, a lot. Particularly people who grew up in urban areas.

because everyone is immersed and love it save a single faggot who is stupid as hell with his autistic realism, being actually the one who breaks the immersion, but you already knew that and just had to defend your unwarranted and irrelevant comment about shitting on high fantasy

also nobody gives a shit about what you like

>player complains about not being on board with the setting
>point out that this is likely due to mismatched expectations and the GM should have made sure everyone was on the same page (i.e. suggest a rational, mature explanation and solution)
>this is somehow bait

really activates my almonds

>Probably this

I'm not completely onboard with this guy, but there's at least a 50% chance that your world lack a compelling internal logic. When this happens people tend to fall back on IRL physics/metaphysics to critique.

Some players expect a GM to ha e constructed a world that is fully fleshed out enough and exists as a holistic system. If you disagree with that philosophically or are too lazy to build that kind of world thats fine; find a different group. But don't come bitching about autistic players just because you want something different out of your rpg experience

People who like low fantasy prefer settings in which the baseline for realism is the same as our real world, bit the world has certain aspects of it changed to be less realistic, placed on top of this baseline realism, to make room for the supernatural. These people (myself included) generally don't like fantasy in which the very baseline level of realism is changed (such as how natural biology and unaltered-by-magic laws of physics work) if they go into it expecting the former. Problems arise when someone goes into a game expecting the former, but receives the latter. This problem is caused by a lack in communication between player and GM, rather than any actual flaw with the worldbuilding itself.

>a member of the group is not on board with the direction the campaign takes aesthetically

This only happens if you don't communicate well. Session Zero is vital to determine everyone's expectations.

looks like a deranged hobo

I could show this to my grandma and she would think he is one of those crazy deranged hobos

>if one of the players is fucking stupid and the rest are fine its the GMs fault

>if entire class is able to comprehend math perfectly save except for one kid who never studies its the teacher's entire fault
nah fuck you

> I'll only be that guy when someone talks about something self defeating, like "a huge hammer as light as a feather"

Low fantasy with a world that makes sense is objectively better.

People who RP that way are looking for an interesting experience that challenges them.

People like you who RP with the "bbbbut magic" approach want power fantasies in fake worlds where everything just works because theyre too scared of the real world. If your life is shitty, you have an ethical responsibility to fix it. Don't hide behind childish escapism shitlord. Create don't consume.

Nice strawman

Stop inviting Neil Degrasse Tyson over.

>People who RP that way are looking for an interesting experience that challenges them.

And why can't fantastical worlds challenge?

you first
>player acting retarded
>this is because the GM didn't make an effort of inmersion and should have done a rational exposition or session zero yada yada

fuck you

Fantasy is supposed to be fantastic. If you explain it the magic goes away. Do you believe myths and legends would be better if they followed laws of physics? Lady of the Lake wore scuba gear?

>somehow player has been in game for multiple sessions without a proper concept of the tone of the game

Somehow when I run a game the group have a good idea of what it's going to be like before we begin. I ask what they want.

Then we agree that the player going against group consensus is the squeaky wheel.

>Why is my obvious bait insulting something a lot of people like bait?

Gee, user, I don't know! Nice try at strawmanning.

>player has been in game for multiple sessions
there it is

the baseless assumption

nice bait

>>player complains about not being on board with the setting
you fucking nigger, he is complaining for the sake of it for the literal definition of autism, stop trying to pretend its something pure

>poor player! he has been so misguided by the GM that he has no choice but to utter those asinine complains!

eat dick

Can you not craft a single argument without ad hominem? That's okay, user. I'll show you how.

People who enjoy "bbbut magic" approaches generally want fun without thinking about it too hard, it really doesn't have much to do with escapism fantasies. What you're claiming is like claiming having a single beer at the end of a long day of work is escapism. For some people, playing a game and having fun is more about turning your brain off a little and relaxing, and having to explain every single magical phenomenon to a single player who refuses to suspend his disbelief is not really relaxing for anyone, including the player who is getting so worked up about nothing.

Perhaps if all you can do is repeat that it's "trolling" or "bait" to hold opinions, you need a safe space?

If you get everyone together and give them input in creating the world.or shaping the game you avoid having a "squeaky wheel", no? Everyone has had a chance to draw up the boundaries.

>you fucking nigger, he is complaining for the sake of it for the literal definition of autism,

(citation needed) (NPV) (weasel words)

>he isn't complaining stupid shit because he is stupid
[citation needed]

you were the one to claim that he was complaining because the GM was shit in the first place, you prove your assertion first

>not knowing the difference between myth and fantasy

Nah famalam. The safe space comment was cute, though, that earns you an 8/10 from me.

>turning your brain off
>not escapism

You're so clueless about the ways you're being oppressed by the capitalist system. Having to turn your brain off is a symptom of something profoundly wrong

Nothing?

>I can't create a coherent world without the crutch of """realism"""
>I'm too stupid to come up with challenges the moment one PC can breathe fire
Apply yourself at all levels, my man.

Myth, although widely believed is false.
Fantasy is fiction.

I thought he was interesting at first, I liked some of his stuff. Then he started getting cringey and I realized he hated how unrealistic D&D was and I'm like ...yeah??

>relaxing is oppression

>The Iliad and the Avengers movie play an identical role in society

Please just read some actual good books. The world has enough problems, we don't need more clueless people

>Relaxing requires you to become dumber

>oppressed by the capitalist system

remember to not feed the obvious troll

Relaxation is the invention of slave owners

actually true, he doesn't like shit weapon design sometimes to autistic degree, but isn't stupid enough to shit on impossible fantasy for easy clickbait

I think you're misinterpreting what that guy meant by "turn your brain off". Not everything requires critical thinking at all times.

They're both type of fiction, then. Iliad game and Avengers game both need fantastic elements to work.

It is a subtle bait, so subtle you may not even taste the hook... only when it's too late and you are already caught!

>you're right, it is impossible. Nevertheless...
Literally all you have to say.

I'm glad someone appreciates my art.

2017 is the year of subtle bait

Fuck me you've described one of my most annoying players.

How do you deal with this nit picky shit?

This. What the character is gonna do about it?

Every argument like this should end like that one 8-bit Theater where Red Mage tries to logic a giant out of existence.

>And yet it moves.

That's it.

> Not already having an explanation due to copious amounts of world building

It's bait I agree with

Then they should SAY so instead of complaining about muh realism, you goddamn retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=-nqFX7q1yUk

That would, of course, be the worst thing you could do.

Just because you have an explanation doesn't mean you should reveal it.

>start describing a fantasy castle/location sustained by columns a hundred of meters tall
>thats impossible
>Well you little faggot, if you just let me DM for a session you mightve found some hints it wasnt a completely earthy building, and then if you went along for even longer you wouldve found out it was build by people with materials that look like stone but are not stone that allow the building to exist, but no, you immediately start fagging out. Now get out

well, he makes a warning in the beginning admitting to be autistic and not a "this opinion is flawless and the ones who made this are fucking retarded"

Personally?

"Oh is it? That's very interesting. Anyway--"

man, he is fucking autistic

but well, he admits that being fucking autistic is the point of the video so I guess I'm more willing to forgive it?

>deranged hobo
>is in his house
hmmm

He's just English.

Why is at least half of Veeky Forums just people role-playing as role-players?

If the players in character have a reason to know than you should reveal it

I know! What sort of hobo lives in a house?!

This poor man needs help.

>Myth, although widely believed
>The Iliad and the Avengers movie
Wow! You're both retarded.

>Why is at least half of Veeky Forums just people role-playing as role-players?
When Veeky Forums was new, it attracted people who played tabletop RPGs. After it became more popular, it started attracting more people to the board who enjoyed the concept of tabletop RPGs but were too inept to actually have their own groups, so they started echoing what they thought a "real gamer" sounds like.

It seems that every board is full of people who never get round to doing what their board is actually about. They just talk about it. So Veeky Forums is full of people who never read, /v/ is full of people who never play, Veeky Forums is full of people who never lift...
That is a big if. You must understand that mystery is a huge component of (most) good worldbuilding.
Not true. Many myths were not widely believed at all -- in fact their was a whole "genre" of ancient Greek thought which sought to explain myths as their ancestor's ignorant explanations of natural phenomena.

Fantasy, on the other hand, is simply a modern literary genre which (at least at first) was based around aping prior myths and legends.

That first post is correct, though.

Myths were widely believed in their time, and many people today still believe them (like how so many Westerners think women have an extra rib).

Fantasies were conceptualized as fiction from the start, and only the very young are fooled into thinking they happened.

YES

Eh whether mystery to me is a good idea is very dependent on tone and setting

>That first post is correct, though
That's wrong, though.
If you have a setting with "supernatural" elements then the chances are it's a good idea.

>It's not more impossible than GMing a game for you, but here i am doing it.

gay

"That's right. Knowledge in your memory banks and common sense modules point to this creature being impossible. And yet, all sensors point to it being there, moving, breathing, hating."

That and when all the questfag NARPs were herded here we got a ton people who gave no shits about the hobby. They are the ones that endlessly post filename threads and the like.

It's one thing to have a low magic system, it's another to be an insufferable faggot... you seem like the latter

I guess the question is what's the cutoff line, for example in high fantasy wizards should have a good idea of how the things mentioned in op's post work but might not for example understand the origin of the universe or the nature of the gods