Who did blizzard steal trolls from?

warhammer lizardmen probably
At least their world of warraft aztec worshipping wierd gods incarnation.

They also got elements of some conan villains.

jamaica, mon

like what? conan villain was the stereotypical (haha we all know not stereotypical, but actual) jew, iirc - scheming wizard.

but yeah, maybe it's lizardmen, but trolls have a lot more common with africans

Jamaican Rastafari god Jah, but warlike?

Warcraft Trolls are actually one of the better more original parts of the setting, especially the zandalari and drakkari

They just reinvented orcs.
overgrown GW goblins + Norwegian Troll dolls + "some other way to look at orcs".

Warcraft trolls are literally african pagans, except with fangs and multicolored skin.
It always offended me how Blizzard called their religion voodoo, but it was just a primitive, totemistic faith - nothing to do with real life voodoo, which is much more interesting. Then again, Holy Light is also bland as fuck.

The only 2 factions i like more than Trolls are BElves and Undead

And Dwarves

Blizzard gets remarkably little shit for how racist a lot of their stuff is. Like the D3 Witch Doctor, who came right out of a 1950s 'Journey to Darkest Africa' novel or how they decided to make the representative of the faith from the Africa-like area...a blonde haired blue eyed person. The Paladin in D2 was black for a reason.

"troll barbarian" in google image
where is this troll look taken from?

>BE
why

I love that sort of darkness to "muh elder race"
Same reason i love Dark Eldar, fully embrace their ambitions/desires to their logical ends - even if that means effective drug abuse and underhanded deeds

Plus their aesthetics

>the smuggness that a BE Paladin would have, considering the Light/Naaru serves them rather than vice versa
>the same smugness that non BE magic users will never get the highs of pure magic

they made the d3 witch doctor sound extremely kind and wise, probably because the concept is so incredibly stereotypical

>Blizzard gets remarkably little shit for how racist a lot of their stuff is
Reminder than in Warcraft universe, all humans descended from 8 foot tall nordic vikings.

I would put Nerubian first.

Basic physiology in WC 2 is the standard DnD troll, which if I recall, is taken from 'Three Hearts and Three Lions'.
Their voice-actor gave them a Cuban accent for some reason.
By WC3(possibly even by Dark Portal), this has become a Jamaican accent, and the voodoo shamanism just grows out of that.

Trolls were elves once so there's some tolkien influence there, the rest is just African paganism mixed with Aztec lore

>Blizzard gets remarkably little shit for how racist a lot of their stuff is.
Because Blizzard is a frothing cult of fedora tippers unto itself.

Actually, it's backwards. Elves evolved from trolls.

>Trolls were elves

Other way around. Elves are the mutated decedents of the Trolls.

Point of order, the Crusaders are the descendants of paladins who long ago journeyed outward and comingled with native people's they found

The crusader is white BECAUSE they're foreign to Zakarum.

As for the Witch Doctor... Yeah, but

I stand corrected. Where did humans Come from?

See

Glorious scourge>all

People like you can never be happy eh? The crusaders are all white because the original zakarum paladins died and took them as apprentices. As for the witch doctor that's only racist if you want it to be, which you obviously do. Like blizzard goes out of its way to appease fans like you by rewritting character backgrounds and making all these LGBT overwatch characters for no other reason than to shut yoy up, and you still get mad.

God dammit. It's getting close to D&D levels of elf types now isn't it?

Ohhh sweet, so WE WUZ VRYKUL AND SHIET

>ywn get dominated by an 8 foot tall valkyrie

>witch doctor that's only racist if you want it to be
this

witch doctor is just a fantasy witch doctor
like you get fantasy armor knights and shit everywhere

>As for the witch doctor that's only racist if you want it to be, which you obviously do.

Wait, what? A Black voodoo guy waving a snake about and half a step away from shouting 'Ooga Booga' isn't racist?

Middle Earth orcs.

Frankly im more annoyed they went with the Hollywood witch doctor instead of what an actual witch doctor would look like, aka African Van Helsing

Yeah, plus setting wise the Witch Doctors are...basically ghost druids? Similar to the setting's Necromancers. They sort of subvert the spookiness and implicit untrustworthiness that normally come with those M.O.s and have them be the most stalwart defenders of the natural order of things, as well as in many ways the most empathetic.

No, because there's black voodoo guys on earth doing that as we speak. Culture yourself you sheltered child

It's called Vodou

Not sure if that's what you're asking but the image is a "war troll" from D&D 3.5 Monster Manual 3.

It's supposed to be Vodun you mongrel slave-child

Is anyone else actually madly inlove with warcraft/dota trolls? They're a new flavour of unique race i fully welcome.

The Vrykul

Trolls have a surpisingly large role in lore. Theyre center stage for like 6 raids, 5 or 6 dungeons, and a handful of zones.

Well, I mean, they're the true natives to the world.

>most of them are depicted as hostile savages that can't be reasoned with
>spend several raids destroying what remains of their already dying cultures
>the only allied natives are relegated to small reserves nowhere near the scale of the cities they once held or the ones of their foreign "allies"

...Huh, they really are the natives

Arent Tauren as well? I cant remember their exact origin but its linked to the wild gods isnt it.

As I recall from Chronicle the Yaungol (Tauren OGs) were just sorta there. They ran around fields, ate grass and shit before getting enslaved by the Mogu. A few fled to the north and got in touch with the Earth Mother, who is either Elune or a Wild God and renamed themselves Tauren.

Taurens are pathetic. Run from Mogu, run from centaurs, run from humans. God damn it fight for once and dont back down.

I was so pissed when I found out they got slapted by Theramores humans.

why didnt blizzard steal skaven, tomb kings, vampire counts, chaos warriors? those are the coolest

>skaven
Forsakens (very high-tech unlike usual Undeads)
>chaos warriors
Vrykuls

Poul Anderson is the source from which Gygax stole D&D trolls, specifically Three Hearts And Three Lions. I can't speak to Blizzard but they are probably a derivative of D&D trolls and thus ultimately from Anderson.

Originally there were only Yaungol. The ones that stayed in Pandaria kept the original name and characteristics. The ones that wandered to Kalimdor mutated and became the Tauren; those that travelled yet further North changed yet again, and became the Taunka (which are officially Horde-aligned).

Origins? No one knows. Some suspect they're the child of a Wild God, possibly Niuzao. I'm of the opinion, based on some Legion lore tidbits, that they are Titan constructs (Personal canon: wooden constructs/golems made by Eonar herself) suffering from the Curse of Flesh.

Is that a feathered Hydralisk?

Goddammit, scientists keep ruining my favourite things

>green
>Long pointy nose

Goes all the way back to AD&D

8 foot tall nordic assholes who exist only for their own pleasure and to feed their superiority complex. Vrykul consider humans to be mutated lesser beings. (because humans are actually mutated lesser vrykul caused by the curse of flesh)

all of the non asshole vrykul and their human children left for trisfall glades where they founded the first human kingdoms.

No, it's not. Because witch doctors did and still do exist in real life. Reality isn't racist.