Anyone know anything about this? Never heard of either the system or the game, just spotted it...

Anyone know anything about this? Never heard of either the system or the game, just spotted it. Has anyone tried it or any of the other Modiphius games (which use the same system as far as I understand).

I could really go for an actually competent Conan rpg, but it's just making all the regular noises about being the best thing ever. Experiences?

>actually competent Conan rpg
That would require actually competent GM and players. Good luck ever finding that, I'm still looking.

2d20 is a trainwreck on repeat.
Fluffwise, this game is probably as good as it gets.

Care to elaborate on that? I know literally nothing about 2d20, except that I quickly glanced at the Conan quickstart they're offering. Apparently you're trying to roll target numbers with multiple dice?

... although yeah, just thinking about it I'm quickly beginning to see how the system might not be good. How many successes do you usually need? 2d20 isn't exactly a lot to roll for something like that.

You can freely ignore the d20's. They're just there to produce background noice while you manage your narrative pools.

it is easy to generate more dice or re-roll them through ability use, tactical choices, and zone effects. the game is all about positioning yourself in the narrative to pull off your awesome shtick. it reads/plays like pulp action.

>1d20 isn't enough
>2d20 is the answer

Really makes me think.

>Okay people, think. We need to beat that gosh-darn Dungeons & Dragons in their own game. What do we got?
>Well... they use like a d20 right?
>Yup
>What if... we had 2d20's?
>... holy fucking shit you're a genius.

Well 3 would just be too many.

I spent way too much time on this. Literally minutes.

I enjoyed the Mongoose Publishing one

Isn't it just modified D20?

It is, but it was a neat system. AC being based on either Dex for dodge or Str for parry, armour is damage reduction, magic is more limited but can be gamebreaking as fuck

NO ALIGNMENTS, which would have some of you dudes jizzing at the thought.

As well as some really, really funny racial bonuses

(Zembabwe characters gain a bonus to jumping and throwing spears. I am not joking)

In being true to the themes and mood and aiming to be comprehensive in nature, Modiphius' Conan is the sword & sorcery heroic fantasy game to end all s&s heroic fantasy games (besides Atlantis: Second Age of course), IF you want mid-to-semi-high tier crunch. For a lighter game, go with Barbarians of Lemuria. The 2d20 system is... completely fine enough, I like it leagues more than d20.

Sounds neat. How do I do that kind of thing?

>I could really go for an actually competent Conan rpg

What's wrong with Barbarians of Lemuria?

>What's wrong with Barbarians of Lemuria?

You tell me user, I've never played it. Is it any good? There's a few S&S systems out there, what makes BoL the better one compared to say, Blade of the Iron Throne?

Not the same person, but they're completely different games. Blade of the Iron Throne is basically Riddle of Steel v2, and as such is trying to go hard for verisimilitude, depth and crunch. BoL is very rules-light and aimed at fast, more abstract action. Closer to D&D, certainly, but without many of the hassles that game has.

So I guess one is better for when you want to have a detailed throwdown about how exactly Conan dismembers his enemies and breaks them, the other for when you just want fast action where Conan wreaks havoc through his foes, takes their treasures and stalks the towers of wizards. I can't tell you which one is better objectively (although I myself prefer the latter category), but they're better for different things certainly.

BoL is pretty dull, honestly. It's straightforward in a way that doesn't do anything for me and requires fiddling.

It's basically something I could just make myself and doesn't feel intresting to me.

I kickstartered it and don't regret. Wish more folks had it because finding groups has been nearly impossible, but it reads great and what little I have played is fun as hell.

Meh, On Mighty Thews seems better.

Have you played it? I found it some time ago and honestly it seems like a really fun little game for when you don't really want to hassle with a lot of rules. I've been thinking of testing it out, wonder if anyone's got any experiences with it.