Warhammer Fantasy General /wfg/

The Dawi Will Rise Again Edition

Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/xXYsyMmi

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com/

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Is it possible for the Elder races to ever get their shit back together and rise to their old heights?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33967.0
kickstarter.com/projects/2076383099/goblin-hood-2-little-john-28mm-fantasy-miniatures
1d4chan.org/wiki/Black_Library#Is_this_Canon.3F
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is it possible for the Elder races to ever get their shit back together and rise to their old heights?

In theory, yes, but as the setting is it's practically impossible, due to the constant threats the world keeps on throwing at them - the Dark Elves, Chaos invasions, Orcs and Goblins, Skaven - they can barely hold their own, let alone rise. With some serious help they could manage it, but that help's not likely to be coming.

Dwarves especially seem despondent about the state of things, since they have lost so much of their ancient empire and knowledge. Elves might feel the same way, but either they aren't admitting it due to pride, or it doesn't affect them as harshly since they've still kept control of their homeland without much loss.

Anybody try Zweihander yet? I'm not at home so haven't downloaded the PDF of the free version yet but it looks neat as a "totally not an unlicensed WFRP 4e with all the copyright infringement scrubbed off."

The Warhammer roleplay thread isn't up so ill post here. Trying to set up a WHFRP game with some friends but dont have 3rd edition and the pastebin link dont work. Also i could use some pointers and tips about DMing a warhammer game. If any eager volunteers would be willing to DM for us i would also be eternally thankful.

This IS the WHFRP thread, you're in the right place.

As for pointers and tips, it's hard to give you anything that would actually be helpful without knowing a bit more about what you're planning and what you want help with, specifically. Do you feel comfortable with the lore and 'feel' of the world?

I DM 2nd, so I can give you some generalized setting tips.

-This is not D&D. Magic is "common," but most people outside a major city like Altdorf or Nuln will never see a real wizard. Consequently, magic is feared and despised, and not unfairly. That doesn't stop folks from visiting their wyrd to take care of cramps, though.

-People of the Old World are religious. They take blasphemy seriously. Names have power, and uttering an evil god's name is a bad omen.

-People of the Old World tend to be ignorant. Rumors conflict, common wisdom is a confusion of truth and nonsense.

-People of the Old World are fractious. There is little sense of the modern nation-state. Wissenlanders don't like Reiklanders don't like Ostlanders don't like Stirlanders. Religion is a part of this identity.

Tip #1, don't play 3rd, play 2nd.

Tip number 2, these

Yes i know a bit here and there about warhammer, enough to get by.
Ok thanks for the tips ill but them to good use, i dont know much about my players back stories but the first general quest i have in mind is put them on clearing a old dwarf his small mine of skaven,(classic clear the basement of rats job) since the initial meet up of adventurers takes place in western Tileia.

That could work and is a fair gag besides, just make sure to make the dwarf gruff, a pitiless haggler, and very sensitive to wrongs done to him.

2522 WILL COMMENCE AGAIN IF THEY TRY TO TAKE OUR ARQUEBUS!

Age of Sigmar fans/scholars: is AoS more or less comparable to 40k in terms of 'character power level' in general? The AoS RPG from Cubicle 7 will use a ruleset different from their WFRP, so I'm thinking, should the games be financially successful enough for them to get the 40k license too, is it realistic to expect the 40kRP could use AoSRP's system? I know this is all just speculation in the dark, I'm just wondering about the general power scale of the settings

Wrong thread, power-creep

>Is it possible for the Elder races to ever get their shit back together and rise to their old heights?

So how do you want Daemons to work in TWW?

>Bele'cuck has to fight off four Daemon armies until Archaon summons them and they automatically confederate
>Bele'cuck must be defeated by any of the four armies at which point they confederate and launch invasions independantly of Archaon
>You must destroy the other three Chaos armies plus Bele'cuck and Archaon
>You may not play Daemons, they just get added to Archaon's army
>Glottkin

Absolutely this.
With the ability to take over any race's territory in 2, you can play as Dawi or High Elves and always keep true to your alliance while kicking everyone else into the dirt and leaving Karl as the condiment in your oldfag sandwich.

warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33967.0

SUMMON DA ELECTOR BOSSES!

Am I alone in preferring the Doomstones idea as to what caused the downfall of the Dwarfs?

Summon-summon the Elector-manthings!

As target practice for artillery fire.

Try the AoS thread, but I can tell you that GW is probably unlikely to give a company both of their big licences.

Wait, isn't Cubicle 7 doing WFRP 4th Ed too?

Wait...
Wait...Jesus, please someone tell me WFRP 4ed and the AoS RPG are different things.

JESUS CHRIST SOMEONE TELL ME THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

They are two different things, but I mean they probably won't give one small company like C7 Fantasy, AoS and 40K. That's like 6 different books at this stage.

If they've given them two, it sounds like NuGW to put all their balls in one basket. Plus it would be interesting to have all three systems be compatible.

Well they've already said WFRP4E and the new AoS book will be using two different systems.

At the moment GW seems to just let companies bid on their IP, so it depends on whether C7 want to take it on but they don't seem to have shown any interest in 40K. I'm still convinced they were forced to take AoS along with the Fantasy licence, since we knew months in advance they'd made a bid and then it was only a month after the official announcement that we learned they were doing AoS as well.

Anyone got any tips for running a oneshot for a bunch of D&D, monster of the week etc players? None of us have played WFRP before and I've never GMed before, but I'm really keen to run it. I've read the core book and most of the supplements so I think I'm pretty good on the rules. The session is 4 hours long

Also how should I handle fate points and wounds and healing? I don't really want them to be slaughtered but I don't want it to be too easy.
General GMing tips are welcome too. No bully pls

I've got my fingers crossed, but with one exception I've not been a fan of Cubicle 7s work.

I hope they don't lose money on the AoS gig though.

If its a oneshot, don't worry about slaughtering them. It's better to focus on the story. Speaking of, if your friends like their combat I'd recommend running a fight heavy prologue - something like playing the villagers defending against a beastmen attack, no fate points. Have them get slaughtered, then cut to the adventurers turning up to the burning vilage.

I mean worst comes to worst... it's back to 2nd edition.

Sure 2nd ain't perfect but there's nigh on endless amounts of house rules and fan made stuff to fill in any holes a GM/group doesn't like.

Add them to the mortals of chaos, making demons a separate army was a mistake.

Oh that's a cool idea actually! I might like to steal that. I've prepared a scenario but I was a bit worried it would be too convoluted if you or anyone was keen to CC it.

I mean I don't want to slaughter them all like kill them all an hour in and have them have nothing to do the rest of the evening. if I use fate points like the book they'll be alive, but still at 0 wounds which won't be very useful.

>if I use fate points like the book they'll be alive, but still at 0 wounds which won't be very useful.

Use Fate Points like GM fiat - it takes them out of the situation, but doesn't remove the penalty.

EG: Guy falls down a hole and dies. Spends a fate point - instead of dying he gets snagged on an outcropping and needs rescuing. Just don't be a dick and have him fall again.

Another example - guy gets hit with a cannon and dies. Spend a fatepoint and instead of being killed, you've lost an arm but your friends find you after the fight.

If you're ever in the situation where your PCs are at 0 wounds and spending a fate point every turn, you're doing it wrong.

Also - having a combat heavy prologue that goes bad for the players is a quick and easy way to show them how dangerous combat can be.

That's fucking rad!

thanks for the hints user!

I like the idea of the second option, because it seems fitting for Chaos - you have to fight against everyone else in order to gain the favor of the Chaos Gods by beating a champion they've set up for you. And it's a good way to make sure each Chaos faction is fleshed out, allowing you to go mono-god or a mixed force with equal effectiveness.

But, I would also like daemons to be added to Archaon's army, and in a very limited sense to Norscan forces (when they're fighting in Norsca, or in territory with enough Chaos corruption) perhaps as a series of RoR or maybe even summonable by sorcerers. Maybe even Beastmen with the same strict requirements. If units like Chaos Spawn, Giants and Manticores can get shared like that, I think it's fair, and it adds some variety to Chaos forces.

As of now, they are. WFRP4 is based on 2, Smegfinder is its own system.

I've seen some fucking heathens in my time... but this...

Is there any material on running a Skaven rpg? It seems like quite a fun idea.

Check out Children of the Horned Rat.

>tfw I just realized "Dawi" is a pun on "David", because all others are "Goliaths" to them

So, I'm probably going to be making a nurgle fluffed count as-Wulfrik the Wanderer for my Mono Nurgle WoC-army for which I'd love to get some pointers regarding what model to base him on and the fluff surrounding him. The reason for me wanting to make one is that I'm currently working on some Nurgle Marauders based on the red robed acolytes in my picture since I absolutely adore the way they look which goes double for the concept of a Nurgle Lord riding through his army while his clergy perform a moving religious ceremony around him.
In terms of fluff I want to make this not!Wulfrik of mine some sort of messianic figure who have allied with or tagged along with my army. I probably want him to be some sort of nurglish cult-leader which would explain we he would be constantly surrounded by hooded followers fanatically loyal to him. Besides that I've not thought of anything more.

Any input is greatly welcomed!

Why this picture for ants? It's a good pic, needs to be looked at in its full glory.

Sorry, I was phone-posting which makes it kinda hard to determine the actual size of internet photos.

Reminder that the Empire hiring greenskin mercenaries and giving Ogres citizenship is canon.

Kurgan are obviously scythians.
Chaos tribes are amalgamation of famous raider nations.
Personally, i want chaotic Phoenicia like alternative for Huns and vikings.

So Kurgans are actually Amazons?

>Kurgan are obviously scythians.
Yeah because my included picture really screams Kurgan Lord.
Kurgans are a mixture between Conan's Cimmerians and the stereotypic horse nomad.

>Personally, i want chaotic Phoenicia like alternative for Huns and vikings.
Holy fuck, why have I never before realised how much I wanted this!?
Have them rule the Sea of Dread and be culturally influenced by the Chaos Dwarfs. Human sacrifices made by throwing their own infants into furnaces that are shaped like a god is obligatory.

Looks about as close to a Kurgan as this does to a Viking.

I mean that suit is literally from the Issyk kurgan

Wulfrik actually looks like a proper fantasy viking, which is the basis for the Norscan people. Vikings =/= Fantasy vikings.

The Kurgan meanwhile have, as far as I'm aware, always been depicted as a mixture of stereotypic horse nomads and Conan's Cimmerians. To say that they are (only) based on the Scythian peoples is thus not particularly accurate.

I mean this is perhaps the most famous depiction of a Kurgan. Can you really say that he shares any of the common Scythian characteristics?

>I mean worst comes to worst... it's back to 2nd edition
then there is Zweihänder too

>most famous

try to handle it kind of like a fantasy Call of Cthulhu, the threat level and the PC mortality is pretty comparable, as is (or can be) the atmosphere of the setting's dark

*pretty comparable with starting chars at least

That's a cool hat, kind of looks like a wizard.

Fancy hat is indeed fancy.

>Wulfrik actually looks like a proper fantasy viking, which is the basis for the Norscan people. Vikings =/= Fantasy vikings.
In that he has a beard. And furs. Wulfrik is about as far removed from real vikings as the Kurgan are from real central asian nomads.

I wasn't the one arguing that they're just Scythian anyway. They're obviously a mix of groups.
To go back to the Turkic argument from yesterday, many of the Kurgan tribes have names either lifted from real groups (The Dolgan are a real Turkic people) or very obvious borrowings (Khazags/Kazakhs)

>Wulfrik is about as far removed from real vikings as the Kurgan are from real central asian nomads.
Nice strawman buddy. No one is claiming that the Norscan people are exports of real vikings. As I stated in the part you quoted, real vikings are not the same as fantasy viking. Pretty much the only thing the two have in common is that both are seafarers from northern regions.
It's extremely obvious for anyone who have read just a hint of Norscan fluff that the Norscan are fantasy vikings.

The Vampire Wars trilogy are the best WH Fantasy books. You can't prove me wrong.

What's even the argument here any more?

All I'm saying, personally, is that the Norscans are Fantasy Vikings, the Kurgans are Fantasy Turkic/Indo-Iranian Steppe People and the Hung are Fantasy Mongols.

None of them are particularly close approximations, but it's obvious from the names at least.

Since "best" is subjective, then we can only prove it isn't to us.

Is this a dwarf among the chaos warriors? There is this one picture showing bretonnian knights, I think, with one dwarf hidden among them, walking with them. We joked how the dwarf was just lost and didn't want to admit it. I like to imagine that he really gets around.

I think he's a human with his legs cut off by the mound.
The other picture you're thinking of has Valten, Karl Franz and some Imperial knights in it to. It's from a Storm of Chaos book (Darkness Rising I think?), so I imagine it's depicting the alliance that went to relieve Middenheim.

>What's even the argument here any more?

I'm not so certain myself any longer. All I've done is arguing your claim that
>Norscans are Fantasy Vikings, the Kurgans are Fantasy Turkic/Indo-Iranian Steppe People and the Hung are Fantasy Mongols. My jimmys just got rustled by that guy who wrote that the Kurgan are not!Scythian when it's clear that that is not the case. Perhaps I should take my autism-tablets.

Since it looks oike Goblins are squat, this Kickstarter may be a good way to get anything your army is missing.

kickstarter.com/projects/2076383099/goblin-hood-2-little-john-28mm-fantasy-miniatures

Untill something concrete is confirmed I'm just going to go with the assumption that they are awaiting repackaging.

Holy fuck user, I didn't even think of that. That's wonderful.

>Kurgan tries to sneak into the Empire to spy for Archaon's forces
>all he's done is shave his hair crudely
>"It's a disguise"

I like the idea that they're Turks myself - and the Hung seem to be Mongols or at least Mongol-like - technically the Jurchen, the people who would become the Manchu, weren't Mongols, but most people wouldn't look that close.

What happened to Skarsnik, is there a mention of him in Age of Sigmar? I know he left Eight Peaks after Gobbla died, but what about him?

Dropped plot. GW doesn't give a shit, so no resolution on it, shut up and buy Sigmarines then shut up some more.

Josh Reynolds tried to answer fan questions about the dropped plots and give some resolution until GW gave him a Cease & Desist order.
His Skarsnik was Mork incarnate. He arrived at the final battle and cleaved his way through Chaos. After the death of Grimgor he became the supreme greenskin, Gork and Mork in one. He was one of the last beings to die, with his green horde actually gaining ground against the Daemons as the world faded to black.

Speaking of named characters, what ever happened to Wulfrik, Vilitch and Scyla?

I find it weird how so many named characters at least get mentioned as having died, but so many still slip through the cracks.

Please help me /whg/, I cannot for the life of me decide between greenskins or skaven for my second army.

Greenskins.

Don't you want a super green army?

See

I considered Skaven.

But they have baggage. Cannot ever ally with other races, tied to Chaos.

So I went greenskins.

>Gobbla died

Only in Black Library, which doesn't count.

>Josh Reynolds tried to answer fan questions about the dropped plots and give some resolution until GW gave him a Cease & Desist order.

They did? Fucking great, I hate that feminist faggot and his shitty novels and shitty original ideas. Anything he says should be ignored, he's just a feelancer anyway.

soon boys, soon

empire state troops aliv

Your ass sounds like its been ravaged quite thoroughly.

Also, he's the best writer at GW sadly enough. They may have middling crunchwriters, but Gav, Matt, and the rest are trash.

Not only is Josh a terrible author who never got Warhammer (I don't know about his AOS contributions, nor do I care), but he doesn't even write for the game, he's just a freelancer at BL. I'm not sure why you're bringing up Gav, since he's just a freelancer nowadays as well, but he was the Loremaster during Warhammer's best edition.

What's your first army? And what appeals to you about the different armies? My go-to recommendation is whichever army is most different to the one you currently have - to give you a different flavour of gaming and building.

What's the story with the Black Library hate? I've been out of the hobby for a long time, but I keep seeing people treat BL like it's different from GW. I thought BL was just the literary branch of GW?

It's output is generally poor. There's a few good authors in the mix, but the majority of Bl writers are godawful. If I recall correctly, Reynolds was the author of the Bretonnian series, and it sucked donkey balls.

But is BL canonically non-canonical, or is it just a case of not liking shit authors ruining a good setting?

BL is probably the lowest grade of canon. It's the source with the most content and the least oversight.

Consider the following, I suppose: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Black_Library#Is_this_Canon.3F

Cheers, brotheranon. I suppose it can't be any worse than ET and AoS in the big scheme of things.

It's a little contentious to say, but I've always been of the mind that the truth of the Warhammer setting is whatever the group you play with chooses it to be. At the end of the day, that's what really matters. If I want to hop onto a Siberian Massage Imageboard and discuss what it would take for the Dwarfs to set up an underwater mining station, then the canonicity of whether that was even possible shouldn't matter.

Based GW. Eat shit cucks

I know total war is /v/, but I thought this would be a better place to ask.
Is the advisor in warhammer total war a character who already existed in the setting? If so, who is he?

He's totalwarman

He did not exist before Total Warhammer, no.

1) Was this model released prior to you-know-what?
2) Is Sarthorael's tentacle staff unique to him? I don't recall seeing it in any other Lord of Change art or model.

Not that we know of but my personal theory is that he's different from the reveal trailer light wizard, who is actually Egrimm van Horstman. I recall CA saying somewhere that they weren't the same character, at least.

You know, these seem too skinny for demigryph.

Alright, thanks. The details with him being blind and having a white raven pet seemed oddly specific, I guess.

I'm pretty sure he's meant to be the reveal trailer light wizard, and there's some theory floating around about him being a sorcerer of Tzeentch or something.

Im building an empire army at the moment, but would also like to work on both simultaneously. Skaven would be fairly similar in terms of artillery, but I dig the overall lore and models. Orcs and goblins are different, and I love the flavor and character they have, but Skaven have more depth and motivation.

he wrote the blazing sun book which was great

Don't go to the AoS thread, it's a full on shitshow.

Power level changes per faction as usual, but the setting is more magical. one of the recent novels takes place in a city where you can buy 'prophecies' via a special magical alloy that is used in the city as currency and the most important research subject. Some of the citizens get addicted to this and become junkies addicted to 'shimmerlings'

Another city is build in 2 realms/planes(fire and life) and features a portal that connects the two and is also used to have a river of lava flow from the fire realms to the life realms for industrial reasons.

However, humans are still humans and the empire soldiers still serve the cities as guards and soldiers(they are now organized into 'guilds').

You know they are just getting reboxed with round bases right?

Holy shit, yeah I think they may need to be used as horse replacements. Base looks so barren.