/+EV/ - Poker General

I can't believe this isn't a thing yet, so after endlessly waiting for someone else to start one, I decided to just start it myself.

It'll be slow at first, but I'm dedicated to keep it going until it inevitably catches a core group of shitposters.

Since this board is slow, feel free to "think outloud"-post about hands here too. That way, even when there might be noone available atm, other Anons can give their feedback on your hands and thoughts at a later moment.

I'm at UTC+2 and will be available between after 18:00 on weekdays.

And remember: no question is stupid.

Just saw this because of the shilling on Veeky Forums
I'm a professional NL midstake player since 6 years playing 2/4-10/20 (with my shots at 25/50).

Feel free to ask questions and ask a about handhistories. But only 6max NL, maybe HU but I am a bit rusty there.
Have no clue about PLO and other games though

I never played any PLO myself either. Only some "Omaha 8 or Better High Low Split" which is such a ridiculous name, I tend to just call it "O8". Interesting game imo.

Didn't play for a while so now I'm just playing some 1/2 6max NL to get back in the game.

As someone who has been out the game for a few years, are there some big strategic shifts you have seen in that period? To me it seems like it's still nit galore.

Preflop is still pretty tight, many good players have a PFR of just 19
People have gotten much more creative with bet sizing. You will see a lot of small continuation bets. And a lot more overbets then you were used to. Maybe not at those stakes, but if you move up then soon people will start to 1.4 pot you on the river when your range is capped.

A lot of people started working with solvers too.

This is a nice thread.
But any of you fuckers wgo play anything but no limit hold'em are giant faggots.

Is there any good site or app that's phone friendly I am almost never at computer.

For real money? Where do you live? USA I guess?
If that's the case I heard positive things about BetOnlines new client. Never used it though.

I'm reading a fairly recent book (The Myth of Poker Talent by Alexander Fitzgerald) that's seems to want to make a case about minraising preflop, even though that obviously was (and seems still be) a huge faux-pas in established poker. I haven't read far enough to defend it or anything, but seems interesting.

Yeah, I've been thinking about experimenting with weird betsizing too lately, I can see the value in completely throwing a wide range of weaker ABC players off there game and bringing them to a place where they've never been before. You then have the advantage of thinking these scenarios out in advanced.

Minraising is fine from the button
It also should be your standard betsize if you have shortstackers behind you.

Why's that?

One advantage of playing O8 is that you fairly often get PLO players who genuinly just opened a wrong table and think they are playing regular Omaha, until they suddenly split a hand they thought they'd win and realize they have been playing the wrong game the whole time.

Plus you get to quarter people which is always fun.

I often raise preflop, let those fuckers pay to see the flop i hate losing on a nice hand because someone stayed in for cheap just to get a luck two pair or full house

Yeah, for shortstackers I already do it. But why make it a standard from the button? Aren't you just looking at it from a purely blindstealing pov then?

I mean, aren't you leaving a lot of value on the table if you're, as a standard, playing smaller pots from your strongest position?

Bwin has tablet/phone support.

We were talking about betsizing.

Betting/raising preflop has been 100% cannon for a looong time.

There's this game on my pokersite that basically has a "forced shortstack" setup.

So f.e. you play 1/2 but max buy-in is something like 50.

Variance is crazy, as suspected, but might be interesting to get into for a bit. Anyone have any good resources/tips/arguments for strategies for shortstack vs shortstack play?

Rake will eat up almost of all of your EV, stay away

Yeah, makes sense.. I guess you're right.

also interested about the button argument

Might be interesting to set up a drive folder with resources to share.

I've only ever been profitable 1(max 2)-tabling.

And even at 2, I start missing important information about players and their tendencies.

I don't understand how people can possible play well multi-tabling, unless you're playing against the same few people time and time again and have time to study their stats in between sessions.

Because you can get good enough at the game to not care what others are doing.

You can just focus on playing your strategy and not giving a shit what other people do

To be honest, unexploitative play, at least in a practical sense, is hard for me to grasp. I mean, I can figure out the calculations ahead of time for basic situations and how you can make ranges for that lead to a balanced play. But what about non-basic situations? How the hell are you supposed to decide what a "balanced" play is at that point?

I feel like I'm missing/misunderstanding something here..

To maximize winrate you'll always wanna play as exploitatively as possible. To understand ranges in complex scenarios you're gonna have to put in hundreds of hours of study work with solvers.

I have no problem with playing exploitative against players I have stats/reads on. I have problems with playing UNexploitable against players I have NO stats/reads on.

Playing unexploitable NLHE is a complex and unsolved, but a theoretically solvable problem. One I find hard to approximate (model) in non-standard situations on the fly.

Used to play Poker from like 2006/7 until 2011, started with freerolls and at the end of my career I was able to make good money from 5-25€ tournaments on Entraction network that doesn't unfortunately exist anymore.

I remember just watching movies while playing on laptop like 4 tables and making 800€/night in just 6 hours multiple times. Omaha tourneys were extremely easy then, I remember feeling like a king there, being able to beat the games with confidence.

Then in 2011 I got robbed by friend who I had known IRL for 3 years, he knew my password and he was supposed to play like a 100€ tourney that you couldn't unregister from while I was spending my money doing snowboarding and other fun stuff in another city.

He played my 1500€ (doesn't seem like much but it was good enough bankroll to play games to make hundreds of euros per night) while he was drunk, or so he said, I sued him and won but got nothing ever, I was just 19 at the time and I was dumb and didn't care to take care of it properly.

I also quit business college school because I was doing so well in poker and I felt like I need to just play and make money when I'm still doing good, that was a stupid move.

Then I started playing poker again last year at stars, games were clearly harder but thx to my natural math skills I still feel like I can keep up, started with 50$ with 1$ tourneys and was able to get up to 700$ including few nice scores such as 3rd in 5$ deepstack for 345$, but then I got greedy and played too big (scoop tourneys and main event) and quickly lost 400$ and was back to 300$ and decided to cash out for the year.

Continuing on next post.

Also pic unrelated, Double nuts in Omaha lmfao.

This spring I decided to start playing poker again seriously and deposited 500$ for stars with strict limits, was able to keep at the limits until I had 900$ when I decided to try SCOOP-Low (5-27$ mostly) by depositing extra 200$ and if I wouldn't get a good start, I wouldn't continue, but I was able to do well and keep playing and was playing 90% of the events, average of 4 events a day and those events were starting about every 2-3 hours so really long days.

At the end I was at third place on the Scoop-low leaderboard (1k$ for third, 2.5k$ 2nd and 5k for 1st) so I decided to play stuff like 109$ highroller Omaha and 100$ main event and some 50$ ones which was a bad choice especially since I was so tired after playing long days of poker for 2 weeks straight, so I ended up losing a lot in the end and was left with 600$ and barely missing the top 3 in the Scoop.

Was really really close to big moneys many times tho, for example. lost a big one AA vs AQ deep in 5$ rebuy tourney and ended up in top 80 from 10200 player for 176$. Also cashed in almost all game modes, games like badugi, 8-game and stud hi/lo are super soft during scoop and well out of it as well.

Trying to play all Scoop events was a bad choice, should have played only the 5-11$ ones and satted in bigger ones, but still no regrets cause I learned shit ton.

Had some much needed break after scoop but have gotten back into playing now again, though I have just played tight on other screen while doing other stuff in other screen, works just fine for low buy-in tourneys, gonna get into proper playing soon though.

Didn't really have anything else to write here so this will do, I apologize for the bloggish post, also playing 5$ deepstack as we speak (6h already, top 40 out of 1400 20bb deep) wish me luck.

Also hoping to talk about tourneys here.

How do I learn to play poker well?

>also playing 5$ deepstack as we speak (6h already, top 40 out of 1400 20bb deep) wish me luck.

And ended up top 15 for just 37$ with though final hand imo.

TT @BB with 17bb, UTG has been afk half time and does hes first (min)raise, utg+1 calls, I call from BB cause he seemed tight, flop comes 677, I check, he bets 5bb into 7.5bb pot, utg+1 folds, I went all in with semi bad feeling, hoping for 88/99, he turns QQ and its gg.

With bigger stack I would have just called but with 15bb and so much in pot...can't really call third of my stack and just too though to fold without better reads. Then again table seemed too loose so might have made more sense to save it and hope for better spot. Really close one I'd say.

How does one pick up poker as a profession?

I had a friend of mine who was doing it before I became 18. I was playing a lot of Starcraft 2 when I was underage and knew that a lot of SC pros switched to poker, so I wanted to give it a try when I got 18. And I quickly made 3k+ a month which is why I kept doing it.

One has to study the game autistically for months and then has to be able to profitably play it for 6+ hours per day

>. I was playing a lot of Starcraft 2 when I was underage and knew that a lot of SC pros switched to poker,

That's interesting. I wonder which SC skills translate over.

Strategic thinking, thinking fast and while under time pressure, multitasking...
But by far the biggest thing that translates over is the fact that to become good you have to sit your ass in front of the computer for a lot of hours every day and grind it out like a nerd.

Pro-tip:
>You don't get better at poker by playing a lot of poker.
>You get better at poker by analyzing hand histories
Actually sitting down, looking at a specific hand, putting villain and hero on ranges, calculating your EV for different choices and villain ranges, running simulations, asking yourself questions like "am I balanced here?", creating crude models and then expanding upon it by introducing hypothetical variations on the scenario.

That's how you actually get good at poker, instead of thinking you are good at poker because you played a lot of hands. You can't learn anything if there's no objective truth telling you that you're initial instinct about a situation was actually wrong when you run the numbers and think about it long enough.

I did the math yesterday, with realistic shove ranges and frequencies and I just wanted to say you were 100%. The game was slightly profitable, but the margins were waay to thin for that variance and time investment.

* 100% right