WIP - Work In Progress General

Work in Progress - "nobody made a new one yet so lets have another FAGgy OP image" edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Panther, I need Charlie Zone status. Report!
youtube.com/watch?v=YzWP-C8oDPw

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XVFCLq664Oc
imgur.com/a/rYxcb
games-workshop.com/en-US/Bragg-the-Gutsman
games-workshop.com/en-US/Butcher2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=XVFCLq664Oc

Reposting this dumb russ I rebuild for 8th

I thought you stuck a cigarette to its turret for a second

Complete beginner about to start on painting the starter set death guard, how would you rate Duncan's guide on the lord of contagion?

I ask because I saw another tutorial where instead of washing everything with Agrax earthshade the did the armor separately with Athonian camo and then shaded the rest.

Both look nice to me, although Duncan's way darker obviously, and I'm unsure on which is the way to go.

so marines can literally take the primaris pill?

I went the Duncan route on mine, but with different armor colors.
Really, go with the one you like more. Or just change colors and use the method the other used.

>mixing anti troop and anti tank weapons

unless you can milti target in 8th that kinda sucks as a setup

Working on some objective markers for 40k

what glue do you guys use?
I just ran out of my army painter super and i'd like to get something that sets faster.

Swear to God this is the last time I'll post this (there's another /wip/ thread up so posting in there too).

I'm making a Knight Atrapos possessed by a Herald of Tzeentch. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do for him, just looking for some last minute suggestions:

-lots of skin over the metal parts, changing colors from pink to blue
-maybe several places where it looks like some skin is growing out of other skin (like the old Horrors where they were crawling out of each others' mouths)
-have a few Blue Horrors crawling around on the outside of the Knight
-have a few more Blue Horrors look like they're emerging from the knight's skin

Seems like it's missing something though. Obviously gonna do plenty of Tzeentchy stuff to it (sigils etc) but I feel like the idea is lacking something.

R8 my paint scheme.

I need to wait for a grip of parts before I actually start though.

Got picture please?

Death Guard/7

Start with full Duncan mode to learn the basics and fundamentals. You'll expand from there in no time, trying new techniques from other artists, buying other paint brands besides citadel... Before you know it, you'll own an airbrush and spend more money for hobby supplies at places like Micheal/Hobby Lobby instead of your LHS.

The fiddly leg armor on these fuckers is tough to paint. Lots of ground to cover yet

green weapons, yay or nae

You can

Stupid Question, what looks better for Bikers. The Bike Bases they come with or Oval Cavallery Bases? anyone got some Pictures?

I think you would have to add some green accents on the rest of it to make it work.

It's a repost now.

Rainbow feathers

Tentacles

Rainbow feathered tentacles

I might do a couple of feathers, but I've got another knight (a Lancer) that's gonna be possessed by a Lord of Change and he's gonna have feathers all over the damn place. I wanted each of them to kinda have their own thing going on. Lancer/Lord of Change is feathery and bird like, Castigator/Flamer has lots of giant gaping mouths, Errant/Screamer has a giant gaping mouth for a head and then eyeballs all over the damn place, and Wallet/Bitch screams and cries about the torture I put it through, etc.

Maybe a few on the head, kinda like some of the horrors in pic related. I think that could work. I generally avoid tentacles just because of how easy they are to be confused with Slaanesh, and with the bright vibrant colors I'm already planning on for these guys I don't need anything else pointing to him.

I... will probably wind up doing something like this.

Thanks fellas, keep it coming!

decided to ry and improve my edge highlighting instead of dry brushing. What looks like the better armor, The drybrush and edge highlighted leftr the just edge highlighted right?

The right's helmet looks really defined and almost dynamic. But the highlight above the grille is just a bit too much. Try keeping the brush almost perpendicular (as much as possible) to the edge you're painting.

Maybe you can also add some colorful flames kind of like what's on the icon.

Cool. Thx.

I want to get some scouts for Shadow War Armageddon, but I don't really like the heads that the kits come with, are there any good heads that I can swap them for? Crimson Fists is the chapter I'm going to make them.

If you also painted the smoke launchers and access hatches green, you'd create a more cohesive scheme. This doesn't apply to certain paintjobs where the weapon is the complement of the armor e.g. Dark Angel's red weapons and green armor.

Since green is not gray's complement, you have to do more to bring the two parts of the tank together.

That raptor in the back looks dope as fuck m8.

Also. How would i add battledamage and chipping to the one on the right since his armor is pure black?

What's the best way to highlight some wing membranes with a black basecoat? Drybrush grey?

Never use pure black as your main coat. If you start with as dark as possible you have nowhere to go with shading. Use a very very dark grey instead of black.

All i have access to is citadel paints. Which color would work best? Eshin Grey?

I could but honestly I'm not at all confident in my ability to sculpt fire. Plus where would it go?
I'm not totally opposed to the fire on him though. Part of the homebrew fluff I'm writing is that the Exalted Flamer possessing the Castigator is always super grumpy that he got a Knight that doesn't actually have any flame weapons.

anyone have tips on painting red leather?

Would starting with Moot Green actually be a good idea? It seems overly vibrant for what I want here.

I was thinking I would use Castellan Green as the base, then cover it with either Loren Forest, Straken Green or Elysian Green, and use Agrax Earthshade wash (which is very dark grey) to do the shading.

For those who want to help but don't want to go back and look at the previous thread, I'm trying to figure out how to make a color like this Dreadnought, the way that Forge World paints Salamanders.

I'd say start with castellan green.

Now that's just cute

regular space marine heads look quite nice on scouts, you just have to cut off their ball-joint necks

I personally use all the mohawk heads, for that original tyranid-attack scout look.

You could just use regular bare space marine heads or heads from WHFB/AoS.
The Marauder horsemen have great heads for example. Or empire heads without hat and helmets should work fine.

Another alternative would be just to get the old metal scouts. They are great models, with good headsculpts. The metal ones are a lot of fun to paint. I personally thought the plastic scouts were not an improvement for them.

You could of course also use 3rd party heads. Victoria has some nice characterful facial sculpts.

powered through. Not convinced by the OSL so might re-do it but that's for another time.

Alright, sounds good, I might go with regular space marine heads because it's what I got right now but I've been looking at some third party stuff too, I found a couple that I liked (helmets with gasmasks/rebreathers). Thanks for the advice

I think you should change the colour of the plasma, at the moment it's way too similar to the armour.

could be a shout. Are red plasma coils a thing?

Just Castellan Green? Should anything go over it?
How would you lighten it up to be the more dull olive look? Would Loren Forest look right, with Elysian Green or Straken Green for highlights?

Damn, those look great.

Plasma can be any color you want really.
Strictly speaking there is probably not a reason for them to glow anyway.

yes

Plasma can be whatever you want it to. Dark Angels are regularly seen with green plasma coils, and they're shown as many different colors in the art, such a pic related with his yellow coil.

What colors are used on that model? It looks nice.

Why are there two WIP threads

getting started on painting my admech tech priest if it ends up well ill probably get more admech stuff to paint

Alright, so I've soaked, washed and scrubbed this resin model of mine several times each, but it still feels weird. Is that just what resin is like or something? I haven't worked with resin before and I have a hard time believing after all of this, the release agent is still clinging to it, but my fingers tell me it must be cleansed.

Happens sometimes when an OP uses an image not everyone recognizes

you use dish detergent on it?

So whats the deal with the "Johnny" model of the metal marine reloading his bolt pistol, where does it being such an iconic thing come from?

I used borax, which is what I've got right now.

Why does Bukiko do such wonderful things to my penis

Reference to Johnny twobyfour and Plank from the show Ed, Edd, and Eddy.
The magazine(plank) is whispering to the marine (Johnny)

Let me ammend that; borax and soap. Just your normal run-of-the-mill liquid soap. Used that when scrubbing it down a few times.

Do techmarine on bike kits exist or do they all need to be converted?
Should you go servo-harness or conversion beamer with a techmarine?
What does a conversion beamer actually look like? Like the biker kits, I can't find anything that isn't just kitbash someone made.

Tervigon/ Tyrannofex/ Toxicrene/ Exocrene/ Haruspex/ Maleceptor

So I would have put more effort into the paint job on this model, but it's supposed to go with my Tyranid army from a decade ago. That old army looks pretty crappy so a good quality paint job would just look out of place.

I started working on this years ago, but with 8th edition out I decided to finish it.

It cost about $8 of putty, some bits that I had laying around, and one Carnifex kit that I got for less than $35 back when you could buy 6 of them in bulk for a discount.

More pics here:

imgur.com/a/rYxcb

I have a basisilk and I want to add metal crewman to the loading platform, but I have a problem.
I don't know if I should remove the tab and glue/pin the models to the basisilk platform, or just place them on the vehicle with its base.
the guys are old metal cadians sculpts if it means anything for desicrating the tabs.

Tyrannofex version

Haruspex

Tervigon

>Do techmarine on bike kits exist or do they all need to be converted?
Need to be converted.
>What does a conversion beamer actually look like? Like the biker kits, I can't find anything that isn't just kitbash someone made.
GW made one for - I think - Space Crusade and FW makes some now. There's a special character that has one and a dreadnaught weapon.

hows this

Trying to get a really bright contrasting red to a dark bronze.

What's the brightest red or most suitable Veeky Forums? I was thinking Wildrider Red as that seems like the brightest in the range but I don't know what to highlight it with.

Is this an acceptable tabletop quality cultist? I need to crank out a bunch of them in a fairly short time.

wild rider is headed towards orange, so oranges/yellows would make good highlights

It's just like three colors over black priemr.
This is not 'acceptable' as in good. This may be acceptable as conforming to the old official minimal requirement to participate in tournaments.

In any case it doesn't look like you cared much about it.

For my two cents you'd get a better result if you basecoat the black parts with a grey and the red parts with a brigher shade and then just wash it brown all over.
Would give the model at least a modicum of depth and make it look passable imo.

It's an additional step, but unless you need to paint 200 of these fuckers it's not gonna kill you.

if your only painting criteria is 'not grey tide' it's fine.

if you want to paint the mini for paintings sake, no.

it just depends on how much you want them painted as opposed to just a bare minimum so you can play

pic related is what i would personally consider tabletop quality

Pretty new to Citadel paints so trying to figure out what colours compliment each other well.

I was thinking Evil Sunz Scarlet as the highlight with Squig Orange on the edges.

What would you guys recommend? Also it's probably better if I prime it white to achieve a bright colour right?

Looks pretty good. Dark Angels successor? I'd go with red lenses on the helmet, as it contrasts the green better

Would a dreadnought's conversion beamer look too goofy mounted on a techmarine's servo harness or bike?

like others have pointed out there's no excuse to not at least wash. It's the least time-intensive step.

you could use a trike and build a turret for the conversion beamer in the side car.
I think it's too big to be mounted on the servo harness.
It would look alright for a footslogger to hold it like an underslung heavy bolter or something like that though. At least that is my take on it.

There's also the astral claws character, techmarine with a backpack mounted Beamer and two whips of some sort

Finished up a squad of troops for my Sons of Ymir

First time ever having a full squad of infantry fully painted/based in my 5 years of being in this hobby

Eh
I would through some highlights onto the primary colors.
For instance, my boyz have green skin and purple armor plus all the brown colors for the leather. I wash and highlight the skin and purple but just wash the brown.

Canonically, would only the Master of the Forge operate a C-beam or could any Techmarine have them?

How many techmarines does a chapter have? How many chaplains and apothecaries and librarians for that matter, is it just one per company or is there an auxiliary unit with an undefined amount of support staff in it?

its really up to your interpretation

Although according to lore, the extreme rarity of conversion beamers would likely mean that only the oldest or most trusted of techmarines if not only the master of the forge himself, would be trusted with one

On tabletop this is irrelevant though now, since master of the forge is gone statwise theres only techmarines now

Yeah, I was going to have one techmarine in my army as Argos, the Salamanders' Master of the Forge though.
I need a good head that is half cybernetics for him, anything like that exist?

What are some good fancy bodies I could use as articifer armor?

im pretty certain theres a bare space marine head with a bunch of service studs wearing some form of gasmask

Otherwise use a techmarine head like the stormraven pilots head if you got a spare

>or is there an auxiliary unit with an undefined amount of support staff in it?
the chaplains are typically one per company

Librarians, techmarines and apothecaries are drawn from separate support divisions.

>I need a good head that is half cybernetics for him, anything like that exist?
The assault squad should have one.
One of the chaplains should have one as well.
The Iron Hands conversion pack has one that is more than half bionics I think.

As for artificer armor, it's kind of up to you to decide how exactly that looks. For a techmarine it's probably just gonna be a variation of the regular tricked out suits with more fancy gadgets.
I mean the techmarines with servoharness already wear artificer armor basically.

Some guardsmen I am working on. I would post more photos but am having a shit day on the camera.

>The assault squad should have one.
That is, the old assualt squad. Sorry I forgot they update it recently.
The assault squad that had the sarge with the pointy finger on the powerfist with the skull on it.

I've almost finished the first model for my new marine army, I'm finding these new marines quite enjoyable to work on compared to older power armour.
I still need to come up with a chapter badge and i'm struggling, I was thinking of having an eye as the main part of the design but anything I do just ends up looking like a sons of horus ripoff

Put the eye in the crook of a chevron, or ape the astra telepathica logo and put it on top of a straight line.

>I was thinking of having an eye as the main part of the design but anything I do just ends up looking like a sons of horus ripoff
A google search for eye logos will give you lots of great variations on the theme.
Depending on the character/mission statement of your army you could also incorporate other heraldic elements.
If they're secretive, maybe a key or a book, if they are guardians of some sort a gate or bulwark or a tower, if they are specialized in a certain kind of fighting maybe a weapon, like an axe for an executioner.
In most of these cases I think you could figure out a way to incorporate an eye.

I come to you with a mission /wip/ I want to make a warboss loosely inspired by gordon ramsey. (angry and hangry) I've been looking at 2 base models and am unsure where to go from here.

games-workshop.com/en-US/Bragg-the-Gutsman
I like this guy's stance and weapon but I can't find any WIP pics so I don't know modifiable he is. I was gonna add some armor and a gun to him.

games-workshop.com/en-US/Butcher2
I really just want his cauldron as it looks cool and has neat effects. As I was thinking of just using ghaz as a base and adding his cauldron but I can't find it for sale anywhere

The Salamanders have three Masters of the Forge or at least Argos has two very close assistants as the council chamber on Prometheus has three seats for Masters of the Forge.

Reecius says I have to have 2 HQs in my army now so fucking here we go on another Archon