Are Critters the Millennials of Tabletop RPGs?

^ This.

Yeah Grandpa critters are ruining the housing market.

What the heck is a critter

I'll gladly wade through the hoards of normie millenials and zeds if this show produces even a few truly excellent players and GMs.

>that fucking graphic design
whoever is responsible for that abomination should be shot

I'm assuming people who say some sort of amazing feat that defies the laws of physics happens whenever a Nat 20 is rolled, as well as the inverse for a Nat 1

How can you blame someone for being born in this or that generation? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

I think thats the point. Like old people blaming millenials on everything, people on Veeky Forums blame CritRole for bringing too many normies into their niche fearing theyre ruining their hobby-safespace.

Oh, that's silly.

I wouldn't say so.

It brings in new players, certainly. But the ones I've personally interacted with at my FLGS are good players.

The come in as a "brand new" player that already understands some key game mechanics just from watching the show and seeing how the cast plays their characters, battles enemies, etc.

>people on Veeky Forums blame CritRole for bringing too many normies into their niche fearing theyre ruining their hobby-safespace.

Except they actually do. Matthew Mercer and his critical roll buddies are contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Micheal Merals, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mercer has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick characters, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else. And by entertainment, I mean they consider it nothing more than a Netflix special that they can pause at any time, because it is meant entirely to pander to their enjoyment and make them laugh to cover up how empty their soulless lives are. This hobby used to be full of passionate people who cared about the game and weren't afraid to show it. Now the hobby is being diluted by hordes of casuals who couldn't give a fuck.

Nice copypasta.

It won't.

>the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room

I've read this pasta so many times but that part never fails to make me laugh.

I'ts true sadly. I actually got kicked out of my playgroup 4 weeks ago. Because I am "ruining" their fun for asking them to atleast play semi-serious with their walking meme murderhobo characters (which rolled about 4 18s on creation) after they tried to make another player ( which literally plays a Dog for literally shits and giggles) Eat a roasted Dick while feeding him sausage. While they're playing Overwatch/MMoS Mid-session on their second screen.

After I've Prepared, weeks beforehand, a well-thought of, supporting (to not steal other players spotlight), character for which I even commissioned Art to have a respectful RPG experience. And I still haven't found a playgroup since that isnt either playing super serious grimdark dungeongrinds or people making mary-sue murderhobos trying to imitate Crit-role. It's jsut so fucking depressing. I don't mind my games being tongue in cheek as grimdark seriousness will get as annoying, but seriously some people are better off playing Cards against humanity instead of DnD.

You're the DM and they kicked you out?

Don't play DnD. I know that advice is trite here, but in this case it is true. Crit-Roll fags are not going to wander far from their beloved show, so play something without a d20 and you should be safe.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

Critical Role is neither LOL SO RANDUMB nor Full Murderhobo.

That's your players fault.

Don't go blaming that on a rather good group of role players that livestream their game.

No the GMs is the kind of guy who probably started the game as sole reason to one-up our previous GM as a taunt, who was very strict but not well read with the rules, by allowing the PCs to do literally whatever the fuck they want. roll nat20 if in doubt.

>rather good group of role players
I would laugh if it wasn't so sad that you probably actually believe that.

Don't get me wrong I don't have an Issue with people watching Crit-role.

I am annoyed at people playing DnD with the sole intention of derailing it into a gigglefest when other players were hoping for a real game.

I have an Issue with people who literally play this game to play makebelieve meme pranks, crack reference Jokes, be comic-relief while drinking booze and playing other games at the same time, but still expecting to be treated well.

I'm not making the dog eating dick story up btw.

>Sam and Travis
>Not good at role-playing.
Fuck off. The rest of the cast isn't nearly as good, but Liam and Talesin put in effort.

The only one I'd say is a bad player is Marisha.

Orion before her if you really want to go way the fuck back to the beginning of the show.

The dog dick thing tells me you're either playing with 12 year olds, or people who have the same maturity level.

That more than likely has jack shit to do with whether or not they watch voice actors play D&D.

Travis is surprisingly good at playing the big dumb brute.

But you can tell it's getting to him.

He wants to be able to do more intelligent things in the game, but Grog is a simpleton whose brain literally hurts him when he thinks too hard.

Marisha is the only genuinely bad one, Liam and Laura are occasionally annoying, the others are all good (Ashley, Taliesin) or god-tier (Travis, Sam).

Personally, while I don't try to copy the show to any extent, as a DM I do take mental notes on Mercer's ability to improvise and create distinctive NPCs, the latter of which is a serious weakness of mine. Critical Role is perfectly fine as long as it's not treated as "How D&D should be" and instead as a group of friends having fun with the system and some homebrew rules.

Roll a Natural 20, and *You* become Dungeon Master! Bending the setting and adventure to your will, until someone else rolls a 20 and claims the DM chair for their own.

I'd play a game like that, actually. Have a system designed around this style of musical GM. The clusterfuck would be pretty amusing to watch unfold. All you would really need is a mean set of generation tools in case the GM gets stuck and you'd be set.

I think there's actually systems where you can roll mid session to become the GM.

Yeah, all his Liam quest antics are pretty awesome. After this Vecna shit and they reroll I hope he plays a maniacal Wizard or even a Paladin who's a total Chad

There's a rule for it in 5e DM's guide from memory. It's not roll based though. It's under the "plot points" optional rule "The Gods Must Be Crazy". During any session you can spend a plot point to become the GM for the rest of the session, or until someone else spends a plot point to take the seat from you.
Each player gets 1 plot point per session

>Liam's Quest

Are those any good? I skipped over those and the Battle Royales in an effort to get more quickly catch up with the main storyline.

Every time I see someone claim that casuls are 'ruining' something it always just confuses me.

These people realise that WOTC can just print rulebooks, right? If Colin and Ashelaeigh from the local microbrewery start a d&d campaign whrre they just roll dice and giggle every time they see a 20... that doesn't stop you playing d&d somewhere way the fuck away from them, right?

Even if WOTC turns the game into Crit Success Whimsical Anecdote Generator it doesn't erase the likely millions of old d&d rulebooks that are out there and doesn't prevent you from playing games using them.

There's no artificial limit on ttrpg players. Just don't play the game with people who are shit.

Millenials aren't a bad generation overall.

But again nothing much can beat boomers.

Do you like how Liam rp's Vax?

Emo Elf gets a little moody some times, and he puts all the effort into the Vax/Keyleth relationship(that's more a criticism of Marisha honestly), but overall I think Vax is a decent character.