>some way to get the pcs attatched to their vehicles

Other urls found in this thread:

ironbutt.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>some way to get the pcs attatched to their vehicles
superglue?

Good one
I was thinking more character flaws and hardship

Having your ass glued to a motorcycle is a pretty big hardship.

Like these guys?
ironbutt.org/

>iron butt

>How would you do a travelling campaign?
Play half-life 2. Note the Route Kanal and highway 17 levels in particular. Watch the Mad Max films, Blues Brothers, and any other trucker movies you can find. Black Dog is a particularly good one.

Allow them to design the fuckers themselves. Name them. Customise them as they go. Invest significant resources into them.
Then the important bit. DO NOT THREATEN THE VEHICLES AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.
The vehicles being in danger should be srs bsns, so don't just pull it out every session.
The Mad Max game is an excellent way of doing such. For the archangel, not the V8 interceptor.

The aim is to travel along, doing good things, leaving a reputation, single mothers, and tire tracks behind them.
Everyone's vehicle should have a chance to shine. Everyone's random-ass inventory choices should have a chance to shine.
Different terrain, varied challenges. Encounters not only as combat, but as overcoming challenges. For example, the bridge is out. Do you go upstream? Downstream? Attempt to ford it? attempt to raft it? Try and pressgang the locals to rebuild the bridge?
Or you're confronted with a minefield. Spend days going out of your way, pick your way through, defuse it, blast the shit out of the field and pay, or just floor it?
The Top Gear specials should be an excellent example of the challenges faced.

I'd probably have it so each session is its own self contained location and story that's part of the larger story/theme. Maybe a few encounters at the start/end while they're out on the road.

>Players are in the town of X, where the people are dealing with Y, and you have generally a few routes on how you can deal with it.
>The end of the session connects what was happening in X to the larger world, and they get back on the road to get to Z.

Rinse and repeat.

>top gear specials
Yes
I was specifically thinking of Oliver
How do i get that with players?

The problem there is that the entire Top Gear Three are autistic.
May is classic autism. Obsessive, focused, and knows all sorts of shit.
Hammond is a Veeky Forums autist. Picky about everything.
Clarkson is Clarkson. Chaotic Randumb, impulsive to a fault, and hides his power level behind that. Despite being an engineering dropout and having been a motoring journalist since before Hammond was born.

>>How would you do a travelling campaign?

Pic Related

I've done sci-fi campaigns. I've never had any problems getting players attached to their ship. Probably because they realize that the campaign I'm running only works if they continue to have the ship. Losing the ship is pretty much game over.

Having the ship acquired through means the PCs can't repeat also helps. The ship is too expensive to replace, if replacing it is even possible.

In saying that, I do follow what suggests. Their ship also becomes their home. A place that's usually safe from the threats outside it.

I laughed.

How about it being dangerous to leave their vehicles due to a harsh environment, but still necessary to do so for refueling? My thinking is that the player characters could be on Mars or some alien planet, with some kind of storm happening outside, potentially in addition to hostile locals, travelling to reach their objective, but needing to leave the vehicles to harvest some kind of mineral required to keep their vehicles running in the long tracts of land between civilized settlements.

I was thinking more mad max
Using the plains as a backdrop

Rescue bump.

So, the last half of The Martian, where he goes on the epic road trip across Mars in the rovers, then flips them?

That's quite honestly the first type of campaigns I've run when I was just starting and pretty much the most instinctive one to me. Except apart from just travelling all the time with some short encounters on the way, I make some longer stops and larger locations along the way. For example they encounter some city with some major quest in it and some minor ones in the area around it. Once they leave to continue the journey, they will probably never return here again, but it breaks up the pace and let them do some stuff and me introduce some plotlines not focused on them constantly moving

Travel is boring, that's why people skip it so often.

Run a train campaign.

PCs must get to other side of post apocalyptic country, commandeer world's only remaining train. Train passes through all sorts of weird locales, PCs explore them for supplies and crap. Create a running narrative about the train tracks being followed by bandit gang. Penultimate encounter, train is permanently damaged by gang, but PCs overcome it. Final encounter, PCs reach other side of country with enough experience to forge a new train and new rails to reconnect the people they saved in the wastes. Perhaps the real train were the friends they met along the way.