EDH/Commander General

"Please Give This Guy A Home, Wizards" Edtion

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Tell me a story where everything went just as keikaku.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/for-the-horde-of-notions-2/
basiclandart.tumblr.com/
koyorin.deviantart.com/art/Amanda-O-Neill-580723636
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Please Give This Guy A Home, Wizards
Oloro?

>Thread Question

>Playing Gonti
>To the right of me is a mono blue player with Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
>Kind of a faggot irl but nothing too autistic about him
>"Cool now I'm gonna be the first to get my shit countered", I thought
>Opening Hand: Emrakul, Promised End
>Keeps countering almost everything I play
>Shit ton of mana. Caged Sun. Pact of Negation
>Pact of Negation
>Pact
>Of
>Negation
>Play Emrakul, steal his turn, make him lose.
>He just sits there dumbfounded because he didnt really think Pact would kill him like that.
That's what you get for countering my stuff 7 times in a row, Chris.

>playing Marduchesa Aristocrats against mono-black, new Rakdos and Grenzo
>Grenzo player starts flipping big creatures off the bottom of the library
>black player making Zombie tokens, has P. Obliterate on board so nobody swings at him
>Rakdos player tries to Emrakul me, mass sac in response, he takes my turn and does nothing
>he's mad asf even when I told him it wouldn't be worth it
>black player suddenly slaps a huge Zombie buffer on the board
>kills Grezno player after that guy kills Rakdos player
>he turns to me
>goes down to 16 life paying for more tokens so he can swing in past my 1/1s from Assemble the Legion
>he turns 21 tokens sideways
>I've had Rakdos Charm in hand the whole game waiting for him to kill the others and then hose him
>Rakdos player is STILL mad, shake hands with the rest and leave

Reaver's home is literally every U/W deck.

>Thread Question:
>Tell me a story where everything went just as keikaku.
Why did you create a new thread so fast?

>I don't read the stories
You're missing out on a lot by just looking at cards. The Aetherborn are sensates and hedonists, who, when we hear about them, tend to be incredibly wealthy, since they have no qualms about risk given their short life span. They throw massive parties and enjoy the emotions of others through empathic senses. They're portrayed as criminal on the cards because Kaladesh is incredibly authoritarian and almost everyone but Baral is a criminal. Sorry that this was a bit rambly, but you should really read the stories.

>costs 7
>does nothing on its own the turn you play it
>LITERALLY EVERY UW DECK :^)

Kill yourself

>costs 7
>laughing_arbiter_girls.jpg

>Wow I ran another card to make it cost less
>It must be good now

Are you a real life retard or do you just pretend on Veeky Forums?

When the other card is a commander, it makes it a legit choice for that commander.

The user that said it belongs in every blue-white deck is a moron, though.

>baral not a criminal
No YOU read the stories user, Baral gets arrested at the end.

>drogskol in Augustman
How often do you get 5 mana floating in Augustman?

>not using GAAIV exclusively to cast big bombs on a discount
Fuck off ya Spike.

Depends how you build him. Classic GAAIV Stax? pretty rarely. The raw card draw is great if you DO get it out but your curve can only support a couple cards at that price point. GAAIV also makes a decent Prison/Taxing control commander, though, and he'll make the 5ish for Drogskol trivially there and laugh all the way to the bank.

>8 people table because Animar wanted to play with Planechase and Vanguard.
>$2 bids, winner takes all, dropping costs $10 because we're dumb like that
>Know Animar's Vanguard is Akroma, mine is Ashnod and I'm playing Thraximundar. Others didn't matter much (Gix-Kaalia, Takara-Karador, Crovax-Zombies, Squee-Keranos, Titania-Elfball, Barrin-Laquatus Mill)
>Mull to 5 just to have turn 1 Engineered Plague and name Elemental
>Personal victory accomplished
>But it didn't end there, I wasn't the only one with such ideas and by turn 6 there were 3 Night of Soul's Betrayal, 2 Engineered Plagues (Elemental and Elf), one Copy Enchantment of EP (Zombie), a Curse of Death's Hold on Animar, Aether Flash and Torpor Orb on the table.
>Any attempt to destroy any of this was countered
>Planes didn't do shit, we stayed in Astral Arena for 12 turns.
>After 6 hours of play I won because another player hit Animar with Sadistic Sacrament for his eldrazi titans and I was the only other player that ran anti-mill tech.
Animar never wanted to play with more than four players, planes or vanguard again.

how do you guys store your extra decks? a fat pack isn't going to be good enough after damaging a sleeve. i have pic related from a couple years ago but they seem to be in short supply these days.

In separate Satin Towers, I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket.

N I C E

How do i make Boros dank?

Sunforger
That's it. It immediately makes all cards it fetches dank too, though.

Store in a warm dark area. Congratulations, your Boros cards are now dank, as they should be. Throw them out.

>Playing Silas Renn/Sidar Kondo
>Down to last opponent
>Tariel has been wearing down peoples decks with Keening Stone all game
>Finally mills me out
>Passes turn
>I activate the Academy Ruins i grabbed with an Expedition Map on turn 2 and haven't used yet that everyone's forgotten about.
>Mindslaver to the top
>Activate it
>Keening Stone him with his own stone and put Mindslaver back on top
>He's already lost but tells me to play it out.
>Use his Debtors Knell to get back my Skullwinder. Choose to add Bojuka Bog to his hand and Praetors Council to mine.
>Mill him out over the next few turns with his Keening stone
>Praetors Council myself at some point in my turn
>Hit him with his own Bojuka Bog after the last mill
>End game with my deck in hand and his in exile

Land tutors in white

>how do you guys store your extra decks?
Stanley 10 Removable Bin Compartment Deep Professional Organizer

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/for-the-horde-of-notions-2/

So I posted this before and took a lot of the feedback I got to heart. From a purely casual standpoint, how does this look now? (The high curve suits my meta, pls no bully.)

>Thread Question:
Lol okay.
>Start a 5 player game
>Open 3 lands, I can work with this
>Don't draw a single land at all after that
>Not even fucking ramp
>Can't play shit
>On turn 5 someone drops Terastodon
>Kills my lands
>Fuck yeah tokens
>Bro at the table has my back
>Doesn't let anyone fuck with me
>Slaps his Mimeoplasm shaped dick on the table if anyone even fucking tries
>Dinosaurcock.jpg
>Counters and fogs anything that comes my way and retaliates ruthlessly
>Straight kills a mother fucker for trying to swing game on me
>I am just sitting there admiring this beautiful bastard all game
>Game comes down to just me and him
>His field is a veritable fortress
>Mine is fucking pathetic
>He intentionally drops a wrath effect just to level the playing field
>Makes everyone else sit there like jack asses while he and I play essentially a whole new game
>Comes down to the wire
>In the end, he wins but not until after we have a legit Mexican stand off
God speed that beautiful bastard.

How much care do you put into your basics? These are my go to since they look great with old-border commanders and for how unique they are, but I'm also partial to finding basics that have flavorful art in relation to the deck. I have a Bladewing the Risen deck that uses foil 7th edition basics that have little dragons flying around in the art, and I love it.

My basics all have sunsets on them. I'm romantic as SHIT.

More then I really should.

Can you link me to that model? It looks perfect.

All my decks are themed except for my lands deck which used to be. I also really like the snow lands so I have a few commander decks with snow basics.

Theyre something I can customize without worrying too much about optimization so I like to match them to the commander. For example my Karlov has this plains (though googling to find this image made me see one I like a little better) and rtr swamp 260. It makes it more visually interesting too to have matching lands but different in all my decks.

>all those walds
Fucking nice, I'm jealous.

i use this B)

Hey there /edh/ do you guys have any spicy tech for Esper enchantments?

I've built an enchantment tribal kind of deck and I like running with all kinds of janky combos. Right now it is kind in a bad state.

So far, I have finishers with Opalesence/Starfield of Nyx and Parrallax Wave to combo ETB effects with my enchantments or some of the few creatures I have. I can win with constellation effects or many other things.

Additionally with Starfield/Opalesence, Enduring Renewal and Parallax Tide I can make infinite mana and have infinite casts to storm with Brainfreeze. I can also generate infinite storm with Blood Funnel and guile and counter and cast my own spell as much as I like.

I am running Ertai, the Corrupted as my commander, mainly for the colors and since he has at least some interaction with enchantments. Did not want to play Zur due to the reputation and the hate he gets and I wanted to make my deck more about janky combos and interactions rather than hard control and lockdown with enchantments. Initially I just wanted to build a flicker deck, but with enchantments instead of creatures. It's doable, but hard.

I haven't gotten to play the deck yet, but it seems like it will be kinda slow. I've never played an enchantment deck before, is there any obvious stuff I should be including? I have Academy Rector and Enlightened Tutor, working on Idyllic. Any advice on enchantments or oddball card recommendations I have missed I would appreciate.

That's a sweet plains. If you haven't seen it basiclandart.tumblr.com/ is a really useful resource for basics art. Once I decide that I like a deck enough to invest in nice basics for it I usually just browse through here to find ones that match.

Pretty sweet

What's stored in the lower right compartment?

Looks like a box of dragon shields.

dragon shield sleeve spares in case of damage

I try to put some thought and theme into my basics, particularly for mono or dual colored decks where basics will be more prominent.

Often I try to use only basics from my commander's set and try to stick to the same art if I can, I haven't gone as far as to all foil basics of the same kind because that can get awfully expensive fast and I lack certain staples (like many shocklands or any fetches) that I should really buy first if I am going to drop a decent chunk of money.

I really like stuff from Time Spiral, for example, and my last few commanders have been from that set. For Dralnu I used all Time Spiral islands and swamps of the same art (they are gorgeous) and I did the same thing for islands, mountains, and forests for my Intet deck. All time spiral basics of the same art, though I went for brighter, less "evil" looking ones than for Dralnu.

On the other hand, for my Mangara deck I used all old bordered plains from Dominaria focused sets. Magara is old and weird things happened in Time Spiral, I imagined him reflecting the plain how it used to be rather than how it was presented in Time Spiral block. I should not I don;t really know that much of M:tG lore and I'm not -that- interested in it, but I love working in theme and flavor to my decks when I can.

>Time Spiral lands
Good taste

Actually didnt know about it, thanks a lot. I saw this one and decided I like it a little better for Karlov maybe.
I actually use a Time Spiral island for Teferi, though its the printing that came in the deck cause border. Its the one that matches OG Teferi's background

Just copy and paste

Stanley 10 Removable Bin Compartment Deep Professional Organizer

into google, its like $20

I havent put much effort into it because my favorite basics are hard to get NM and I'd want at least 30 of each.
>Plains Euro Land Blue: UK
>Island Euro Land Red: Italy
>Swamp Euro Land Blue: Belgium
>Mountain Euro Land Red: Spain
>Forest Euro Land Blue: Germany

I'd wish they'd reprint beautiful art like these, GURUs and Portal in sealed product. Instead they keep using Zendikar turd lands and the worst Alara and Theros arts again and again and again.

>Combo ETB effects
Add Parallax Tide for infinite mana and permanently exiling your opponents' lands

I like the basics from the old archenemy decks. This one was first printed in portal second age I think.

What are the best basic lands from newer sets? I just use Amonkhet Full-Arts for now.

>Playing against a deck with a lot of counter magic
>Play Demonic Tutor and look at counterspell player to see if he has a response
>"Why would I counter your tutor? I'll just counter whatever you search."
>Search Cavern of Souls

I like this Kaladesh one

Lorwyn swamps all the way.

I also have a lot of Khans block cards.

It doesn't get better than the Lorwyn block

you just blew my mind

i like those and ursa block the best. well really only ursa islands

>there's something wrong with a little woodland fun

kaladesh is pretty sweet and i really like shadows

I feel your pain.

Kaladesh has a couple that stand out, and there are a few I like from Shadows, but I feel like overall they've really dropped the ball since somewhere around Theros.

I like that Kaladesh one too. In general, mtg art has gotten worse and worse but occasionally an artist makes something good or great with the cgi tools.

I'm of the mindset that whatever land I put into my edh decks must be unique for art. I don't ever play doubles of a single basic in a deck unless its a different language. Other than that I choose whatever looks the best to me at the time. As I find new basics I rotate things out. I just like having different art to look at on each card. White border, old border, new border, full art, and alters are all fair game. In fact I am working on painting all of the lands for one of my decks at the moment.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to open much of Kaladesh.

Rebecca Guay's set from C16

Didn't get to open any of those.

>mtg art has gotten worse and worse
ya it definitely has, really sucks too cause thats one of the things that got me into magic

So did you fuck afterwards, or what?

>open
They're from the 2016 preconstructed commander decks.

The fullart amonkhet plains and forests are beautiful, hour of devastations full-arts look quite nice too.

Exactly, didn't get to open up any of the decks.

what's the pic from

Probably more than I should. I like the land to fit with the commander.

user he's married! She doesn't deserve him.

koyorin.deviantart.com/art/Amanda-O-Neill-580723636

filename, nigga

Just getting into EDH, built a couple decks so far. Sliver tribal, and Animar Morph. Spent about 200 on the sliver one, about 80 on the Animar one. Am I doing it right?

both of those decks will get you hated off the table, the amount of money spent isnt really important

People will hate you for playing slivers, but yes, you seem to be doing fine.

Animar Morph will? Is it the commander itself, or the deck? I figured Animar abuse for massive/free creatures like Eldrazi was more of the dreaded deck

if you're having fun you're doing it right

the commander itself will get you hated out

Well shit. Lets just hope someone else uses a big threat like Angel/demon/dragon bitch

Give me a good Sunforger package.

It really depends on your playgroup user. One of the few benefits of having a fairly competitive players is you can stop worrying about being hated or mean, because everyone is. The same applies to being focused. If you are playing in casual "why did you kill my dragon" enviroment however, Animar may not be the best choice.

The commander
The deck
The musical

To be fair some old art is absolutely terrible, tho I agree that cards like gaees cradle are phenomenal.

But karn liberated vs karn silver golem . Liberated is much better.

What are some cards you feel have trash art from recent sets? I'm just getting into magic so I don't know most of them

Common consensus is that Samut, Voice of Dissent is the worst thing since sliced AIDS.

Thread hits bump limit and I start a new one. What's wrong with that?

Scars of mirrodin/mirrodin besieged/new phyrexia had some great art.

That's the black chick that gives everyone haste right? She's Boros?

Yea she looks like shit. Bit gonti lord of luxury looks awesome

Is Voltron Khemba the best option for monowhite? I wanted to do some kind of token anthem list, and Avacyn is too dang expensive. What are some interesting generals?

admit your feelings to him and steal him away.
then go fuck.

She's Gruul casting cost and Naya identity because she has a white mana symbol in her ability.

Sram for giving you card advantage even when you're above parity, something white is bad at doing.

For the most part the newer art is bad in that it's homogeneous and boring, rather than being funny bad like some of the old stuff. Occasionally we get some really awful early-2000's PC game looking shit though.

Azorius Charm
Boros Charm
Counterflux
Deflecting Palm
Dispatch
Faith's Reward
Hindering Light
Jeskai Charm
Master Warcraft
Reiterate
Render Silent
Return to Dust
Steam Augury
Swerve
Swords to Plowshares
Temur Battle Rage
Unexpectedly Absent
Wear
Wild Ricochet

IMO there's more good art but there isn't as much amazing art as there was in the old days.

>Occasionally we get some really awful early-2000's PC game looking shit though.
Like every card the Foglios ever did.

are you playing at an LGS or in a play group at a kitchen table?

Group of friends

This card is ugly in every possible way, the art, the design, even the placement of text is weird. It looks like a first card made in editor by a 10 year old.

This triggers my autism so much.

I don't think the Foglio art is bad in the same way I think the blatantly CG art is bad but I'd agree that it's out of place on a magic card and looks more like something out of an old comic strip. Anarchy is fucking cool though.