On a scale from "English countryside" to "The middle of Africa", how dangerous is your setting's wildlife?

On a scale from "English countryside" to "The middle of Africa", how dangerous is your setting's wildlife?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper's_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Australia

Get fucked

It's a desert with giant scorpions and other such beasts.

So

heh, nice kiddo.

But my setting would kill your characters before they even got there, that's how lethal my games are.
If you wanna play in my world, you gotta be smart, and you gotta be lucky.

Probably the latter. Give or take a few million years.

>Terrorbirds
>Hell Pigs
>Gigantic marsupial lions
>Horses with fucking hands

The past really is the best source material for horrific, but natural animals. Our planet was a fucking war zone.

Heh, you think that's lethal? Before my players have even made characters, a release a tiger into the room. Only the people who survive earn the right to play in the game.

Isn't there actually a game where you can die in chargen

You think THAT's lethal? I only play games with people who've already died

>AN INVISIBLE MAN
>SLEEPIN' IN YO' BED

Traveler.

>le Australian wildlife is scary maymay
>largest land animals are kangaroos
>bunch of poisonous creatures but nothing that can't be stepped on
>scariest creatures are easily avoidable crocodiles

Get fucked Australia, Steve Irwin made your terrifying wilderness his personal playground. Africa has all the scary bugs and snakes you do in addition to lions, hippos, elephants, hyenas, etc.

Somewhere around "Leaving town requires a small army".

You have to go back to the Ice Age, when Australia had Dinosaur-sized Goannas with poisonous bites, land Crocodiles that could outrun any human, Leopard-sized Drop Bears with a jaw that could slice the leg off of a kangaroo with a single bite, Giant Snakes, giant killer Ducks 3 metres high and more.

Mostly spanish countrybside to deep strayan oceans and amazon jungles

Pre-colonial North America if all of the American cryptids were real and a lot more common.

Small time. I only play with people who will never be born.

English countryside of what century?

Even this century can be dangerous.

I've seen the chavs in Watford.

Latter + corrupted forest spirits

If we go back to the ice age almost everywhere had scary shit. Even some islands had some form of giant eagle that could prey on children/manlets. Africas pretty much the only place that retained its ice age fauna and even then they're limited to sub Sahara

Depends on the location.

Desert? Relatively safe.
Woodlands? Usually safe, but the deeper you get, the bigger the monsters get, until you're delaign with giant insects, everything being dire, and the natural predators - bulettes and tendriculous. Not a safe place near the center.
Jungles: Many bitey things live here, and what isn't bitey is probably diseased unless it's outright poisonous.
Grasslands: Mostly safe, except for one particular savannah that is nightmare central due to magical warfare. going there is just askign to be eaten alive by some intelligent monstrosity that just wants you to suffer.
Mountains: Only really hardy things live there, and some of them are pretty dangerous as a result of scarce food.
Underdark: Only three types of things live in the underdark in this setting: vermin, oozes, and OHMYGODITSEATINGMYFACEWHATISITHALPblaarghimded. That latter set of creatures is really hard to classify.
Ocean: Here there be everything.
Space: Well, it's either really empty or you encounter really freaking weird shit that mostly leaves you alone.

>go to Gloucestershire
>the land itself wants to keep you
>her constant hunting calls of "YOU FOOKIN' WOT M8?" And " I'LL BASH YER ED IN"
>have to dodge errant pieces of high velocity cheese
>strange red creatures with no chin and a bray instead of human speech keep riding past on horseback
>get kidnapped by crazy Yorkshiremen, shoved in a trolley and pushed down a hill
>safe
Give me Terror birds any day of the week.

Well that depends on whether you're in the equivalent to the English countryside or the equivalent to the middle of Africa.

Elysium level.

dire moose that eat entire trees, dire beavers who make their homes in seawater areas between close islands. Bags of holding that may or may not contain the piece of an ancient tarrasque. various demonic beings mutated by their environment like the whailer and the Hayre that little to no man has seen much less survive. oh and sometimes a wendigo as well.

>get kidnapped by crazy Yorkshiremen, shoved in a trolley and pushed down a hill
>have to dodge errant pieces of high velocity cheese
>strange red creatures with no chin and a bray instead of human speech keep riding past on horseback

I wanna hear the stories about these.

> dire beavers who make their homes in seawater areas between close islands
Okay you can't just say that. Why the everloving fuck do oceanic beaver exist in your world?

How did it become that way?

Nothing exciting
1) Last of the Summer wine reference
2)en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper's_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake
3) The upper class that go on fox hunts, usually in red coats, tend to be chinless wonders that have such thick accents that they sound like they're braying

We are trying to unite the tribes of Assholia (thanks Veeky Forums) There are 3 player. So far we have gone through 8 characters.

My last dude stepped on a bangshroom. Dude before that got got with the Hellcarp. One before that failed a perception roll when on guard duty one night, we never learned what got him.

>Horses with fucking hands
Wait, what?
Pls no.

Some horses do have the finger mutation.

Depends.

>Mostly
Normal wildlife, occasional weird mutant or minor zombie infestation. Nothing serious
>Northern lands
Lots of magical/biological fuckery, escaped experiments, shit like that. And the sprawling automated undergrond lab keeps belching out even weirder biological fuckery.
>WIZARDLAND!
Desolate desert drained of any and all life and magic because some wizard got in his head a bright idea of concentrating all leylines of entire continent in one place.
>Main catfolk kingdom
Sentient forest hellbent on eradicating civilized life, with especially big hateboner for catfolk.
Native life in that area is super-australia liberally mixed with shoggoths.
It's not a nice place to live,but after three unsuccessful attempts at conquering something nicer they have to live there.

Dangerous enough that pretty much everyone has and knows how to use a weapon or two and that most of the world is yet to be tamed, leading in low populations focusing on individual city-states rather than sprawling villages and towns every few miles.

They're space monsters.
So, "world ending bio hazard" is par for the course.

That's how space horror works.

Aussie snakes are deadlier than African ones tho

>-folk

It's a space habitat.
Rats, roaches, stray cats, that's about it.

There are a couple lemurs in the zoo on Ring 8 that keep escaping. The guys from HabEng keep saying they're gonna but 'em to work eventually, but I think they're joking?

Playing a Deep-Sea submarine combat game, based loosely on Diluvion, Bioshock, and strangely Traveller, using rules adapted from Battletech Submarine combat

The oceans are teeming with extremely deadly mutated and mechanically augmented colossi that are being churned out by the planet's remaining malicious Artificial Intelligences

Calling them catgirls is silly because there are both sexes and there's no better term.

Depends where you go.

Depends on where you go. Generally speaking, Caliburn is mostly tamed, with the largest threat being the occasional dragon or a hive of wyverns forming too close to town.

Dahkest has the Grootslang, it's own set of dragons, Hippophants, and no few venomous spiders, but if you're a Lizardperson or other kind of native, it's not shockingly dangerous either since you know how to navigate.

Avalon is a carefully managed wilderness. The trolls killed off all the big stuff a long time ago, so anything bad that happens there is from some dumbass furface fucking around with the Dreamlands or Lands Below.

Do you not know how hard kangaroos kick?

Hell Creek Formation.

People aren't scared of poisonous spiders because they're scared to get in a fucking fistfight with them, dumbass.

canada. you're probably safe, until you're within shouting distance of anything with four legs or any bird that honks.

Definitely the later; lots of megafauna in most of the surfaced landmasses (orcs ride hell pigs in my world, and have a supernatural affinity with wild animals in general), the seas are crowded with lots of sea-monsters and their undead versions (open sea navigation is not a booming business, but sometimes the most powerful kingdoms organized heavily armed sea expeditions to try and explore some parts of the oceans rumored with lost treasures and such); also, though the world's calendar is around year 2000 (in terms of civilization, think of late XVth century Europe and Asia), there have been a lot of now lost kingdoms and empires in the last 10k years and, because of heavy practice of necromancy by some of them, from time to time there are huge undead armies rising from here and there.

All these is on average level; he civilized areas are pretty safe, but the most isolated places are teeming with colonies of drakes, giant tribes and extra dimensional shit that leaks into the mortal plane from time to time through some ancient elven portals.

The marsupial lion is great.
We also had things like giant Wombats the size of cars.

>Steve Irwin made your terrifying wilderness his personal playground

Remind me how he died again?

exactly this

Prehistoric north america.

Oh yeah. We got mammoths. We got smilodon. We got something called a "Razor moose"

>Wild and domesticated versions of pic related: capable of rudimentary tool use. Domestic breeds have limited speech
>Granite Lions. Giant sized mountain lions that scratch up and roll in rocks to form rock plates on their bodies
>Iron Boars: standard pest species. Long life spans but prolific breeding. staple food source for many but the older they are the stronger they are
>Sand Fish: various fish species adapted to live in the Sand seas. Hard scales with mineral deposits in them
>Intelligent giant constricter snake people who have the ability to naturally camoflauge themselves: Where possible they prefer humanoids

A few I think. I know Hackmaster (a 2e fan spin off) can fuck you pretty hard in character gen but the only one with lethal accidents I can recall is in the fighter tables.

It's nice hearing that someone actually used one of Veeky Forums's settings. Tell us more about your campaign.

>Forgetting Nettle Trees
>The plant that brief contact with is so painful people straight up shoot themselves after getting poisoned by it
>Cattle hurl themselves of cliffs to make it stop.
Nigga I'll take lions and shit over that any day.

Ptah, you think that's tough?
*teleports behind you*
Pssssh, Nothing Personnel kid

Pre-Cambrian

Sluggish, for the most part
Just stay out of the water

You see there's a cave to the underdark in my continent (which is the setting) and the mindflayers had an idea to seriously destroy the overworld so they could take it over. They began creating a powerful portal to the far realm in the entrance of the underdark. a portal which would seal them there until closed but that would unleash the chaos of the far realm to the world and keep them safe. However they vastly overestimated their magical powers and only managed to make a tear which is now constantly spewing out the energy of the far realm on the continent (as it gets dispersed after that due to being weak and having to go far to reach any other place).

This far realm energy caused the wildlife to mutate into dire beasts over time and even sometimes causing the creation of a barbarian kesserach. Theyre larger barbarians that can basicly mind-suplex nature itself to its will, angering druids, elves, gnomes and anything else associated with nature.

As for the beavers well theyre part of the mutation, they became just too god damn huge to make a home in a river anymore so they went to the ocean instead.

Just always been that way, no one knows for sure how the founders managed to build the cities in the first place. Though there are theories, and they're preached like gospel and the founders are worshiped like gods.

>forgetting Africans

Death Valley+Dune+Nuclear War+mutated animals and people

South America in the Cretaceous Period.

>You will not survive

>Very low magic, Lv. 1-3 Final Fantasy spells low.
>Good steel weapons, late 17th century firearms, no time or resources to craft good armor.
>Small settlements of migrants who come to a forgotten island-continent escaping the flood that engulfed their lands
>The land is The Appalachians in the south-east, The Balkans in the midwest, frozen wastelands in the far north.
>Abandoned settlements scattered around, mines that go on forever and dilapidated southern mansions
>All american and north-eastern cryptids are real and not extremelly uncommon
>Migrants from different countries don't trust each other
>The abandoned settlements are full of violent ghosts
It's understood among my players not to fall in love with theri characters, but they will have the chance to die in a blaze of glory.

crocs can still outrun any human

It is the middle of Africa.

Only, this time it has demons and Genocide Niggers.

Someone else watches Last of the Summer Wine? I thought I was the only one. Grew up watching it with my nan, a true Yorkshirewoman who was a thin Nora Battey.

Look how adorable delicious they look! I would lose a war against them to. The war of hunger that is!

Time for Australifrica

You've never had to stare into the beady eyes on an angry Emu have you?

man i wanna run a fantasy age of discovery game, the "new" continent would be based on south america but I don't really know what scary creatures to add other than terror birds.

it's not actually south america in the cretaceous, but I was using it to refer to how ridiculously lethal the wildlife are. The monsters that dwell in the forests are capable of single-handily destroying entire manors and slaughtering the tenants.

To be fair, that's because those manors are not equipped with combat maids.

Felinids?

Manors as in the fief structure, not fancy houses. The beasts themselves are just that, beasts, blobs of flesh difficult to describe and impossible to depict, a wholly chaotic form with no fixed shape in a constant state of flux. Imagine an amorphous blob of muscle fiber and flesh, boiling hot from the friction of the constantly shifting cells and regenerating tissue, which moves not by any natural gait but by "rolling". Like an urchin rolled down a hill, only instead of spikes it's arms, legs, tendrils, claws, teeth, and hands bursting forth and ripping their way forward. They drag themselves across the ground, ripping it up and often seeding it with their corrupted blood, tainting the land itself.

From said taint sown by the passing of the abominations, twisted forms of the natural wildlife spring forth from the wildlife, such as carnivorous deer or packs of giant boar which predate on humans. The forest itself is turned against humans and the whole thing has to destroyed or sanctified.

Who's kick can gut a man

>bunch of poisonous creatures but nothing that can't be stepped on
Yeah, go ahead and step on a Brown-snake, Inland Tiapan or Tiger Snake

Sounds like walls with a large pit dug beforehand and ample fire are what you need, my friend.
Don't forget sticks or spears to poke it back down into the fire-hole when it tries to break your walls.

Maybe, but then we get WH40K comparisons.

If you turn back the clock, you'll find spooky shit everywhere.

You guys need to give Africa more credit. It's where all the things that instinctively know to eat humans live.

Who can easily crush your skull with a single kick, have been recorded putting each other in strangle holds until one of them is choked unconscious, and are intelligent enough to lure dingos into water and then drown them.

Yeah, so? Lions are just as adorable when they are babies, too.

African countryside

On most continents it's relatively safe, you can meet wolves but they're not rabid blood-frenzied beasts so you can just scare them off.

Then I've got one continent which is death world tier. The most common animal would be a 5-headed pyrohydra and then there's ton of other nasty stuff, carnivorous plants, carnivorous jungles, carnivorous insects, feral dragons and so on.

Ranges from moderately dangerous to dark heart of Africa to Jurassic Park to Jurassic Park if the dinosaurs had instinctual baseline magical abilities to motherfucking kaiju. And then there are the fae, who often prove worse for people than any wild animal ever could. Generally the further away from civilization you get the more crazy the creatures you encounter. But it's a big world, and really strong people are very good at keeping monsters at bay, and even not so strong people as technology becomes more prevalent.

Varies from place to place.
It can be very dangerous if you do not stick to the main roads: at that point you'd find mostly boars that are a pain in the ass, but easy to dispatch if you are properly equipped and/or have allies. This aside, step off the main roads, and you'd risk to encounter all kinds of monsters and critters. Sometimes you find intelligent ones though, and those can be reasoned with more or less. Always ask your local villagers about the local dangers.

By getting killed by a marine animal which just shows that the ocean is the scariest fucking place. Get fucked land

Australian Outback

So no large predators that effectively threaten a guy with a spear besides a pack of dingos?

>the ocean is the scariest fucking place

Was this ever in doubt?

What's this from? I loves me melding if flesh and metal.

Give the locals magic/tech on par with the Euros, but just as big on human sacrifice.

>I think I'll be a sanctimonious shit about muh megafauna for some fucking reason
>It's very important that I disagree with this commonly agreed upon concept in a vocal and belligerent way
>I talk a lot of shit about easily thwarting lethal creatures for a guy so out of shape he has to push his stomach out of the way to see his own dick

I think the little self projection at the end there is a detriment to the point you were trying to make.

Depths of siberia in the middle of winter without vodka. so 11/10.

>The rugged tough strayan is triggered.
>Better call in some birds to calm his big tough ass down.

>Watford
>countryside

The wilderness is incredibly dangerous, natural light sources are incredibly rare so the wild life has evolved a bunch of different ways to get around in the pitch dark where as people, being transplants to the setting are defenseless with out light.
Wildlife depending on region can range from Africa levels of fuck me to relatively safe as long as you don't get bitten by anything poisonous or spook a bigger animal into mauling you, but even then if you run out of light you're guaranteed dead
In addition to the wild life however you'll find the occasional wandering genetic experiment created by the precursor race which usually take a team of people to take down and are incredibly disruptive to the local ecosystem

If you think gives a shit about your post, you overestimate the 'strayan attention span. That guy is already two beers closer to fucking a wallaby by now.