Warhammer 40,000 General (40kg)

Editions are an illusion, and so are the Tau Edition

>Veeky Forumshammer 40k discord server
discord.gg/VcZNNd4

>FAQ (New FAQ), questionable rules lore wise:

warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

>Designer's Commentary (FAQ 0.1)
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf(and epub), SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Old crap
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

>List Builder

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Working on a new DC Dreadnought. Still working on the exact bits I'll use for him though.
Just a rough test mock-up currently.

second for TAUed

So is there a way for a Renegades list to work with the current rules? I'm halfway through converting a 500 point force, I'm hoping I can make it work.

So how's the new edition working out?

test

What army should i start

>Tau battlesuit

>Nidzilla

>deathwing

>Forget a new army and get a gargantuan squiggoth for my orks

Absolutely, the first step is to abandon all hope and realize that your pathetic contribution to the gods' grand design was never going to end well for you or your wretched convocation.

After that it's all gravy. Renegades have some sweet conversion and fluff opportunities. I like how "rabble" lost and the damned armies can be, power armored CSM next to traitor guard next to raggedy cultists.

Renegades as in hordes of whipped rabid cultists backed up with buffing characters among heavy arty and some daemons ?
No never gonna happen in 8th.

Even if we get a fw faq by Xmas next year we're still stuck with a shitty overcosted versions of conscripts with none of the typical IG support.

The army sacrifices a lot to get and gets nothing. Our shit cost more we got no real force multipliers besides gimmicky one-use psypower

Add some "renegade" arty to a CSM list full of havocs and tanks.

Or simply add spikes to a pure IG regiment

Lol we don't even get manticores

why not just use the Imperium faction keyword and use those?

Fallen for CSM equivalents
IG for IG
Conscripts for cultists

It's 'ight.

Nth for DA are gay

depends on the budget

I don't see the downside in running a vanguard detachment of just disciples and marauders. You can get 50 models on the table with auto cannons and plasma, and a hellhound, all at bs3+, for 500 points.

Go draigowing and call it a day

GK may be a mary stus, but at least they are not emo closet homosexuals.

>Page 242
>– Understrength Units
>Change the second paragraph to read:
>‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay the Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit, even though it contains fewer models. If you are using points, you only pay the points for the models you actually have in an understrength unit (and any wargear they are equipped with). An understrength unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.’

Tyranids:
battalion detachment
(normal army goes here)

Genestealer Cult:
auxiliary support detachment
(single understrength unit of neophytes hybrids, one model, 5 points total)

Imperial Guard:
battalion detachment
(normal army goes here)

Is this a legal battleforged army of 3 detachments?

Yeah, but most tourneys only allow two detachements.

Why are there two generals this time?
What meme triggered who?

Ok, so a typical game of Warhammer 40k before was 1850points. Any idea where in the new rulebook it states what the new "normal" power value is? I'm looking at pages 176+ of the rulebook, but I cant find a specific value.

I understand that one army can be stronger than the other now, but there has to be a value you can orient yourself on?

'till new codex wave

2000 points is standard now. 1500 is for medium games, 1000 is for small games.
50 power = about 1000 points, so 100 power would be "standard".
I doubt you'll find any tournments using power over points , tho.

Thansk mate. Is there a point value on the new datasheets? (If so, where?) Or is there a way to convert the power points? ooor do you simply take the values of the 7th edition?

2000 seems to be accepted as the new normal for tournament play, so that's what'll be taken as the typical value.

When it comes to Matched Play with points, both players are expected to bring an army as close to the agreed points value as possible (but no higher). It's Narrative Play using Power Ratings that it's ok for one army to have less Power than the other, as there's advantages to being the underdog in missions.

We have played games with a maximum Power of 20, 30 and 50 Power. Anything more than that, and we prefer using points.

I'm fucking LOVIN IT.

Points for units and wargear is in the back of the Index books (and presumably the codexes, although no 8th edition codex is out yet)

When did it ever say what the 'normal' points value/power level was?

Come to think of it, why is this called the "big red book", I just assumed the first or second edition was red and it stuck (joined in 4th)m but none-of them are.

rumor has it the new codices won't have points values at the back and the points sheet will be available on the GW website.

source: GW importer for my country

On the one hand that allows them to update on the fly, on the other, I just want to be able to sit down with a codex and write a list you GW faggots.

but you can, user with power levels :^)

Does anyone know if FW after releasing Codexes like GW is? Like are the books they've released so far just a stopgap for awhile?

Otherwise they've completely fucked Renegades.

Basic rule book, not big red book

What's wrong with Renegades?

Usual FW half-assed stuff combined with really crappy rules and overpriced units.

Edit:
WTF, i had to solve 9 fucking captchas

FW doesn't release codexes for 40k. They release campaign books. And they release... them... very... slowly.

People whining because their WAAC army got hit with a nerf-bat and now pays guard prices for guard artillery.

Getting around to painting my chaos space marines, thinking of Steel Brethren because I like Iron Warriors but I don't have the patience for chevrons or yellow. Any advice?

Basically what said.

7th edition renegades were basically budget guard, but with TONS of customizability. Now they removed half the rules, and the majority of customization so we're left with units that are worse than guard and nothing to make up for it.

People were misinterpreting it like that when it was actually red. That was when I started playing. It's funny because I actually caught myself saying that a few times.

They're your dudes, user, you can do whatever you want. In my experience the chevrons and gold trim are what make IW visually interesting. A plain metal dude is going to look boring on the TT.

Legacy captcha, m8

Advice like how to make them more interesting looking. And not with chevrons, maybe like a certain wash or something. I plan on running lots of daemon engines and mech ofc.

This is the only model that GW has painted for Steel Brethren.

The old rulebooks never said 1850 was standard, that was TOs.
Older rulebooks recommended 1000, 1500 and 2000 Points, just like this one.

Are Rhinos fucking useless now at 70 points? Seems like way too much for doing nothing.

They are a lot more sturdy then they used to be.

Is there any way to improve the BS of fortifications ?

> thinking FW will give another shit about side project tier throw away army when they are scrabbling to save Horus Heresy after the main author eat himself to death
Loving every laugh

garrison troops

>doing nothing
>making someone chew through 10w T7 3+ if he wants to kill your dudes before they get out and open up at close range

>draigo
>not a homosexual
Kys you degenerate faggot

Wait, a FW author died of obesity?

In fact, an older WD stated the points value the gane is balanced around is 1500
but that was back in 5th

Where have you been?

IW, trying to be fluffy.

Thoughts on making it 2000 points or as close as possible?

But it's stated that garrisoning troops only stops the weapon from targeting the nearest enemy unit, not improving the BS.

Not reading FW news sites.

I knew Mr Bligh died but I didn't know he died because he ate himself to death...

Could be worse, imagine the PR shitstorm if he'd died from inhaling too much resin dust.

Get that squiggoth m8

jesus, it cant be that bad right?

Resin is highly carcinogenic m8

Well he had died of cancer apparently.

sheeit, should I be wearing a mask when I'm working on this shit?

That'd be better, but keep in mind that it's only the dust that is a problem.

If your sanding or drilling it? I would.

GTFO normalfag

Hi there. I'm fairly new to Veeky Forums.
I used to collect wh40k in my teenage years, left somewhere before 5th Ed, and now I'm starting to feel the call of plastic, glue and paint once more. My wallet's begging me not to do it, but I don't know if I can resist.

I thought I would go for Orks or Imperial Guard but I read 8ed made Russes and Ork vehicles shit, and I love Russes and ork vehicles. So, if mechanized IG/Orks army aren't viable anymore, I could go Space Marine and try murdering my wallet just a little less.

If I go for Space Marine, I would make my own chapter, something like pic related. I'm not really sure about that design : can you tell me exactly how shit it is ?

They'd be some sort of renegade chapter, disgusted by the Imperium, a bit between corsairs and knight errants, defending human planets from both xenos and imperial forces, while their naive idealism slowly, but surely drives them towards Chaos. Basically, CSM in the making.

Anyone has a picture to show size comparison between GK terminators and Primaris?

Seems alright mate, do you intend on using the csm rules or just sm rules?

Ork vehicles are pretty good and way way way better than 7th ed Ork vehicles.

From what I remember it is the reverse. Point values will only be available in the codexes.

So, how is the debate on OOE and Broodlord buffing themselves going?

Did the FAQ clear anything up?

Only small issue with a renegade chapter in those colours is some people will think you're playing night lords. Depends if that bothers you.

I always assumed it referred to the Compendium, which was both big and red.

Really ? If I go Orks, it would be a mechanized warband, with Trukks, Battlewagons and a Gorkanaut. I'd like to include Killa kans because i love the models, but in every single batrep I've watched on youtube, they ended up as overpriced targets, never being worth their points.

SM rules. They'd still be fresh defectors, not worshipping Chaos yet. Having a Knight follow them in their doomed crusade could be nice.

Why is the best chapter the hardest to paint

That's true. However, they would have big white markings on their black pauldrons and still look in every way like normal SM, so I don't think there would be that much confusion.

I've no idea what they should be called, though.

I'm quite enjoying it desu. Battles are far faster and no longer forgetting a million different fucking special rules and abilities. it seems after every battle me and my opponents message each other "shit, i had forgotten X unit can do Y".

Streamline, but tactical depth wasn't affected. I don't like the blandness though, but codexes should fix that without bloat.

Man, if the Start Collecting set of the Tyranids had Termagants instead of Gargoyles it would be fantastic.

Black Templars are easy to paint.

>best chapter
>not imperial fists
7/10, but only because theyre yellow

Dip in boltgun metal
Dip in black wash
Edge highlight in boltgun metal

And still comes out looking good.

The Emperor's Children aren't

Fresh defectors? Planning on using primaris or just normal marines? You can fluff it even if you use primaris because old marines can be upgraded to them

I ordered the new edition and want to paint my primaris as Imperial fists, is it really that hard? I found a good tutorial that seems pretty solid using glazes to achieve a decent yellow.

Just get a Swarm/progenitor box and call it a day

Will death korps of kriegs granadiers be coming back to FW?

Get a airbrush. Then yellow becomes easy as fuck. So long as you dont fuck up details at least.

Glaze techniques work really nice... but if you slip while adding detail on your non-yellow trim it's a massive pain to fix

Russes lack a bit of firepower for their points but hellhounds and self-propelled artillery are pretty damn good, and Trucks will get your boys to wherever they want and Battlewagons can be given ludicrous amounts of dakka.

I don't really know. I haven't read much of 8thEd fluff. I just know they're some sort of super-space marines recently unveiled.

If SM armies can be all-"normal" marines except for one squad of Primaris, they would probably have one such squad. They would have a different color scheme, like the BA's Sanguinary Guard looks different from the average marines.

If not, just normal marines.

This. I would not recommend a glaze style, you're putting all your chips in the "I won't fuck up" basket. You don't want to have to try to fix a glaze job. Ever. Best to only use glazes as finishing touches and when they're actually required.

This is why Crimson Fists exist and that's a good thing.

Oh god its my time to shine.
So your dudes defend worlds from all kinds of forces correct?
What about World Bearers?
World not word damnit

FLG did a batrep using all killercans with se deff dreds and morkanaut against chaos and it won pretty handily. It was really just show case units that never saw play in 7th that are pretty decent now

Well, if you're looking to play long term its not a bad idea to start with primaris as you can get like 1k points worth from the SM side of the new starter and you can normally find people selling it for like $50 too so its not that expensive (and they will be getting a ton of new toys the normal marines likely cant use). They can be fielded with normal marines but they will eventually succeeded them altogether so its something to consider

Need some advice on my list.

1500pts Tyranids Nidzilla, Battalion Detachment, +3 CP

2HQ
-Flyrant w Deathspitters +Rending Claws
-OOE

6 Troops
-10 Termagants
-20 Termagants, 10 w Devourer
-1x4 Ripper
-3x3 Warriors

1 Fast Attack
-10 Gargoyles

3 Heavy Support
-Carnifex w 2x ScyTal + Bioplasma
-Trygon Prime
-Exocrine

-Termagants deepstrike with Trygon and do dakka/distract
-Warriors go with Carnifexes, Exocrine and wherever else Synapse is needed
-Gribblys distract, Exocrine dakka

Why is the best legion the hardest to paint?