Bringing "weapons" to the table?

>playing a campaign involving us recovering various artifacts
>gm occasionally tries to spice things up by giving us a real-world item as the artifact we recovered (carved statues, fancy masks, weird necklaces, etc.)
>last session, he brought out pic related (a phurba dagger)
>one of the players starts freaking out, calling him insane for bringing weapons to the table
>an argument is started
>it's still fucking going as I type this up

Should he have brought the weapon? Should he not have brought it? He wasn't swinging it around either, just put it on the table and was giving a description of what was happening in-game.

Sounds like a neat dm

People who are afraid of weapons when there is no violent context have something wrong with them either psychologically or neurologically.

If your DM is mentally sound and was not being menacing with it, then the problem is with the player. They may not have spent much time around weapons (for hunting or whatever) in their life, so it might seem like a bigger deal to them than it really is

Your GM sounds neat.

Tell us more about this person who started freaking out over it...is it a woman? I bet its a woman.

>one of the players starts freaking out, calling him insane for bringing weapons to the table
Well, it IS pretty dangerous to bring weapons to the table when mentally unstable cunts like him are around.

DM sounds cool. Tell the player to go be a pansy ass liberal somewhere else.

If they're not they probably think they are.

do you live in some cucked country like england who thinks the weapon will jump off the table and start killing people on it's own?

It's no different from any other prop. A loaded gun would be suspect, but a ceremonial knife is hardly dangerous on its own. The DM is clearly trying to spice things up and the players should be grateful for the gesture. That pic doesn't even look more dangerous than the towel rod in my bathroom.

If my GM brought a rocket launcher to the table it would probably devolve into a conversation about how cool rocket launcher are

Whoever was freaking out sounds like a baby backed bitch.

It has been decided. That player was a bitch.

This never happened

>Freaking out over a weapon as cool and esoteric as that.

Whoever that bitch is I suggest you write them a letter that uses many mean words.

Yes. She is a co-worker in our office, and gets triggered by a lot of things. Last time was when some of us decided to bring nerf guns in and have some fun (everyone in the office knew, and our supervisor had aside a very specific time for the nerf war to happen so no one would get a surprise dart to the eye while they were working on something important, even brought his kid's guns to give out to people who didn't have any) and she was apparently 'traumatized' by the incident. resulting in a HR ban on the toys.

Nope, USA. In a very liberal state on the east coast, though.

>being scared by a ceremonial ""weapon""
Man, I bet that guy would have a heart attack if he heard about sikhs.

Has every one else at the table told her to shut up yet

Is your DM a kooky old man? He sounds like a kooky old man.
The player sounds like a bitch.

>she was apparently 'traumatized' by the incident. resulting in a HR ban on the toys
Why are you playing with this person?

>and she was apparently 'traumatized' by the incident. resulting in a HR ban on the toys.
Nigga what the fuck, what the hell is wrong with her?

Jesus...

You have my condolences.

Also, this will either end with your DM leaving the group or her leaving the group, there is no coming back from this kind of thing.

Mark my words she will hold s grudge over this.

Your GM needs to kick that tard out.

stand with your DM, politely ask her to leave.

>I routinely leave around airsoft pistols, shotguns, helmets, gas masks, vodka bottles and knives when Gm-íng S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and everyone loves it.
Pass to your player, that the internet tells him he's a massive pussy.

I would probably try but likely fail to convince her that her behavior is excessive, and inappropriate, and maybe try to better understand why she's such a sperg. If she can't get a grip, then she's gotta go.

She probably got assaulted when she was young.

Is your state open carry?

If so get a gun. Wear it. Get all the players to do so.

it's more likely that she's just never seen a weapon in her life. she was probably an only child or had no brothers. no relatives that hunt. parents didn't keep guns ect. fear of weapons comes from lack of exposure to them.

I just saw that it's a woman. I'm so sorry OP, but no way to get out of this one clean . It's going to be ugly.
My previous point still stands though.

Ok, but plenty of people I know have had traumatic experiences and are infinitely more reasonable about this shit. I mean, all it takes is politely conveying the exact same message and most anyone would oblige.

>Hey guys, I get really uncomfortable around weapons. Sometimes even toy ones. Could you please put it away for now? It's just really hard for me to relax with it around.

Bam. Not freaking out, being honest about how SHE feels and not making about how the GM is doing something wrong.

In a perfect world I guess.

Nigga I'm in nogunz locks-on-knives bongland and I'd be jizzing in my pants if my DM brought in a weapon prop like that.

Unless a couple trips to the museum and looking at old swords counts as exposure, I think there's something else to her reaction.

>she was apparently 'traumatized' by the incident. resulting in a HR ban on the toys.
Tell her Brianna Wu is a terrible person, and just wait for her to melt into a pile of goo.

Seriously, who the fuck gets triggered over Nerf Guns? My little sister has more stones than this bitch.

>locks-on-knives
...how?

Don't invite her back.

>his knife doesn't have a safety

>Tell the player to go be a pansy ass liberal somewhere else.
Hi. Liberal here. Most of the people I hang out with are liberals, and exactly zero of them would have the slightest issue with somebody bringing that phurba dagger as an artifact prop. Unless some dumbass started carelessly waving it around, anyway. I once almost took a machete in the face because of somebody acting like an idiot, and I'd like not to tempt fate. But under normal circumstances with non-idiots (or in which the idiots weren't allowed to handle the thing without close supervision), I'd be fine with it.

>thinly-veiled "look how retarded this player is" thread

Come the fuck on OP, nobody reasonable is going to object to bringing in stationary props to help spark the imagination. Why even ask this question?

JESUS! Don't you know how dangerous that is? It could go off at any moment!

Seconding this, DM's are fragile, boot her bitch shit off the table.

Doesn't matter what happened to her, it is what it is and you ain't no 200$/hour shrink that's gonna solve her fuckup. Boot her, it's faster and safer for everyone involved, honestly, involving her.

>JESUS! Don't you know how dangerous that is? It could go off at any moment!
What the fuck, man? It's OBVIOUSLY not loaded.

>the phurba dagger is actually a cursed item
>freaked player is part of the masquerade and recognises this
>can't come out and say it's cursed and be taken seriously
>hides behind being triggered in the hope they'll take it away and stop touching it
OP's DM is gonna die to the curse. Calling it.

>ritual tool
>a weapon

Said player is a retard, the whole table should have laughed it off.

The twist ending is best ending.

I honestly can't think of a state THAT liberal. Or at least where that has anything to do with this woman freaking out

"HEY! KAREN!"
>I'm going to assume her name's Karen; she sounds like a Karen
"Do you get like this when you go to a museum? No? Then shut the fuck up. If you genuinely believe any of us is so psychotic as to suddenly be overwhelmed by a thirst for blood and start stabbing everyone, then there is no way I can convince you otherwise, as that kind of crazy stains. You got two choices here: Chill the fuck out and realise that knives don't magically leap up and murder people, or get the fuck out. No-one else is worried, so clearly the problem here lies with you."

The argument was always going to escalate to that level anyway OP. Best thing you can do is save everyone some time. Honestly, she doesn't sound much fun to play with anyway, so either her calming the hell down, or just flat-out leaving is the best solution for everyone.

My table has a rule that we do not display weapons at the table because we live in a terribly shitty place and if there would be any sort of incident whatsoever it could rapidly descend into a total shitstorm.

That said, I guarantee there's more hardware at my table than yours. We're just not flashing it.

Fuckin' banjoville.

Are you a Britbong ?

This.

What kind of over sheltered life did this sperg have?
Is she hot?
why else would anyone invite her?
who's she fucking?

Tell her Brianna Wu is a terrible ...
>Man

That remind me about that guy that ran a one shot about WW1 and had his players wear gas masks, killing PCs when the player failed to put it in time when gas was coming

>Lockless knives
Bin that stuff chap

Sounds like you got a bad case of leftism in your group.

Nice user, really nice.

I hope OP tells us what happened after it's over.

Shit dude, my brother threatened me with a knife while he raped me and even then I'm not nearly as knife-phobic as OP's player.

>Nope, USA. In a very liberal state on the east coast, though.
Bruh I'm in Massachusetts, too.

Guns are rad, kick the cunt out.

Sacrifice him with the dagger, OP.

It's the only option.

Most likely every person you know is a liberal since liberal doesn't mean "votes for americas democratic party". It's a person who supports liberalism, the ideology. But as usual America has bastardized the word.

I'm always a little confused when people throw around the term Liberal on the internet because it means so many fucking things in America.

American here. I was called a liberal for saying taxes are an essential part of civilization once. Please send help.

>Taxes

Liberal.

This.

Anyway OP, I feel like the dm probably should've brought it up during session zero. That said this should be fixable by just putting the fuckawesome weapon away.

That said, I live in the US southeast, and my only experience with this sort of thing was my roomate wanting my gun to be locked up most of the time. That was because she has problems with depression and occasional suicidal idealation though. It's kind of understandable in that context, so I oblige.

Weapon? It's a slightly pointy stick, a pimped out tent peg. Unless you're trying to fight off evil spirits you'd be better armed wielding the chairs you're sitting on than the phurba.

>Most likely every person you know is a liberal since liberal doesn't mean "votes for americas democratic party". It's a person who supports liberalism, the ideology. But as usual America has bastardized the word.
No, I'm talking about American-style liberals. They run the gamut from what would, in saner times, be considered centrist, to folks who are too far in left field to consider voting for Democrats (much less Republicans). I think some of them are politically naive and one or two of them are just plain nutballs, but I really can't see any of them having an issue with somebody bringing an "artifact" like that to a game.

Who the fuck starts an argument over something like that.

>being honest about how you feel
Yeah, I wish people would do that, but lots of haters will look down on it and bully the person, making people insecure about doing that.

Tell the truth user, it wasn't really a knife he brought, was it? It was a dragon dildo.

I havent seen that meme in a while

Boot her. She sounds like nothing but a wet blanket and will do more damage to your group than good.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who was dating this girl. Whenever they'd watch a movie with guns in it, her dad would quietly excuse himself since he was a Vietnam vet and it fucked with him to hear a gun going off even in a movie. Didn't make it other people's problem, just quietly went somewhere he wouldn't be bothered.

This

Poor dad

Maybe the problem isn't the weapon, maybe the problem is the people who have access to it.

Or maybe the player isn't used to being nearby weapons, or their past experiences led her to being extremely wary next to them. I know I would feel uneasy next to someone with a gun. Maybe she's heard one too many stories of idiots who killed themselves or others while mishandling a weapon and going "it's just a joke bruh".

Who would be scared of that? It's less menacing than a ritual athame that actually looks like a dagger, and it looks like a neat piece of history.

But back to the subject I don't see anything wrong with bringing weapons to the table for novelty, so long as nobody is an idiot. Shit, some guy could bring an authentic longsword for some show and tell and so long as nobody swung it around like an idiot, that would be cool as fuck.

Reading your second post, that woman is psychotic. Somebody needs to give her the boot. Or the D. Preferably both.

Yes, because tithes aren't taxes, user.

Jesus is Lord.

Speaking as a British leftist among plenty of others, the reaction to that were it to be produced at our gaming table is "that's fucking cool, can we have a look?" We haven't got some massive phobia of guns and weapons, I used to go to a shooting range fairly regularly. We just prefer actually deadly weapons to not be quite so easily accessible to the assorted madmen, radicals, depressives and lunatics the human race keeps throwing up.

That's stupid. I had a sunday school teacher bring his swords to church to show us what the roman swords of Jesus' time looked like. My friend even held one in one hand while he had his infant brother in the other, people need to be exposed to weapons and the reality of them early in their life so they don't sperg out like your player.

Kick her out pronto. She will be nothing but truble.

I live in the US in a city surrounded by farm and people with guns are everywhere and I feel safer than I did in the hood, which also had tons of people with guns.

Weapons are contextual. No gun ever shot anybody, no hammer ever hit anybody, etc. People make the conscious decision (or are negligent enough) to cause harm to another.

Hoplophobes are almost ALWAYS giant faggots who are filled with fear of self more than fear of others and project that onto other people. They are almost always filled with the desire to shoot up a whole room and think others think the same way. Case in point, I was showing a friend the firearm I carry daily (cleared it visually and by touch) in his living room and his girlfriend walks in to the room, having not seen me clear it, and just yanks it from his hands and dry fires it into the wall before I could take it back from her. She then went on a rant about how dangerous guns are.

>randomly shoots a gun to try and prove how dangerous they are

Is she retarded?

Hopefully she'll be alright when I show up to the table with this

For real. It's not hair triggered ordinance

He should use the weapon to stab the whiner. I bet the whiner is a woman too.

A weapon is just a tool. If a person freaks out about a weapon, it's because their first thought when they see one is "crap I could kill someone with that, that means someone here wants to!". Because they're insane.

Your DM is fine, and it's a cool thing to do. That player sounds like a dipshit.

What an awesome dm. Tell that player to fuck off

I live in commiefornia. Living here is like Reddit but all the time

Please give us an update OP!

Order a pizza, specifically unsliced.

Watch her lose her shit when a knife is brought from the kitchen

Yes, it was unloaded but she didn't know that.

Insane woman.

>and she was apparently 'traumatized' by the incident.
How was that NOT an indicator that you shouldn't have her at the table?

>I think some of them are politically naive and one or two of them are just plain nutballs
They're communists, user.
The only good reason to become a communist is to get a free helicopter ride.

>GMing game of modern crooks robbing banks and shit
>bring in all kinds of props, toy guns, photo layouts of heist locations, paint a goddamn lead brick gold to make a pretty convincing gold brick, balisongs and quad copter drones and shit
>another player buys everyone high quality toy guns based on their playstyle. one dude gets a silencer gun, one a cowboy revolver, one a big fuck-you looking blaster, and everyone gets grenades
>even silencer gun-guy, who is actually kind of phobic of weapons, gets into the prop game and builds a unique lego stage based on the blueprints I'd given them for the current job

game was fun as fuck. props are fucking great

there are legitimately some people who, rather than being just fucking insane, actually have traumatic incidents in their past. Like, being afraid of even a knife sitting on the table when you have this vivid memory of your nuts older brother holding a knife to your throat is understandable. That's a reasonable enough phobia to develop, and if people knew about it, I'd expect them to respect it.
I'd also expect, if you knew someone at your table was an arachnophobe, you wouldn't bring out a pet tarantula and set it on the table, no matter how sweet Queenie is.

that said, I'm an arachnophobe,
but if someone kept their tarantula in a little terrarium while setting her on the play mat to show the giant spider our minifigs were fighting, I'd still think that was pretty dope after it was over and I calmed down

I was literally mauled by a dog. I still own dogs.
If a traumatic experience is preventing you from acting like a rational person that is called ptsd and you need help to deal with it. No excuses.

Double that. Used to think that weapons were dangerous distant thing i will never wield, but after carrying ak74 for almost everyday for a year i treat weapons more like a clothes. Its allways around you and no longer has its grim charm.

The best way to cure trauma is repeated exposure to the trauma.

Sounds like some people are scared little bitches and should toughen up. A phobia is an irrational behavior that should be treated medically not coddled and appeased just cause muh feelings.

>Veeky Forums - psychology experts

Why not just kindly remind her that fucking anything is a weapon if you use it as one. Using that same logic, she should melt down when someone takes notes during a game because you could just as easily stab someone with a pencil if you really wanted to stab someone.

Which hearing about what kind of person she is, I can understand why she wouldn't want people around her to have something to stab her with.

I want to get a tarantula and do this now.

>everything experts

Man, do I know that feeling.

I live in a rural area, like actual farmland rural.

At any point in time I have 3-4 weapons on me. A Swiss army knife and Leatherman for various tools, a bigger pocket knife for cutting string and feed bags, and finally, if I need it, a small handgun for rodents and or snakes. All the flat footer friends of mine are "deeply troubled" when I go into town and empty my pockets. Even when I'm not carrying a firearm, I still get looks when I pull out my pocket knifes.

Yet whose the guy everyone looks to when they need something cut or opened?