EDH/Comamnder General

"Still No Official Info About C17" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Should alternate casting be castable from the Command Zone as if it were from your hand? With or without tax? Why or why not? Examples are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/_/search/tripcode/!!nMR3UaudcIW/
boards.fireden.net/_/search/boards/a.cm.ic.sci.v.vg.y/tripcode/ !!nMR3UaudcIW/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Thread Question:
Not. Even with tax that would be too cheap.
If you want to cast a commander with alternate costs, find a way to put the commander in your hand.

Yes. There's one legendary creature with suspend, Ith, and two with Ninjutsu, Higure and Ink-Eyes. Kolaghan and Zurgo Bellringer have Dash, but you can already dash from the Command Zone. Higure is Ninja tribal, Ink-Eyes is yet another black reanimator except you can't surprise anyone from the Command Zone, and still takes 4 turns to come in and is just a Maze of Ith as a creature anyways.

and Ith* still takes 4 turns to come in.

Painful experience says against anything about cheap/free casting, since there isn't a person who wouldn't abuse that to full degeneracy

Can anyone explain why WOTC is being so tight lipped on C17.

This isn't normal is it?

What do you mean? It's too early to start with spoilers.

Almost like they don't want to distract from the big set releasing in a week. What a crazy idea.

It's not out until August 25th and there are only 56 new cards, so yeah the secrecy is normal. Also bear in mind SDCC is in two weeks, so we'll probably get some info on it and Ixilan at that point.

I know we're opposed to Commanders that reference the Command Zone, but what about other cards? Like an Sorcery that would have Flash as long as your Command Zone was empty, or an Enchantment that had different modes - even possibly negative ones - of depending on where your Commander is?

Another question for the thread: would you like to see a Commander release have it's own plane/tell it's own story like Conspiracy did? Where the five decks represent factions or groups, and all the art was themed, even on some of the reprints and the lands?

Also, on a completely different tangent, wouldn't New Phyrexia be a great setting for the next Conspiracy set?

What do you think of all the monarchcards from Conspiracy 2?

Not really. The best thing about commander stuff is that they get to make legendaries that didn't see the light when the standard set was on their plane. Of course, you get some disappointing cards like Ludevic and O-Kagashi, but the rest is quite nice.

matters on the card, introducing monarchy into an EDH game is always interesting.

its a mechanic that will never go away, and powerful card draw.

I dont remember off the top of my head if there are any EDH worthy cards that require monarchy/effects based on it, other then marchesa herself.

I don't think that cards that reference where the commander is are a problem. I could see something like:
*Names* Vengeance W
Instant
Tap target creature
Revenge:If your commander left the battlefield this turn, exile that creature instead

Regal behemoth and skyline despot are pretty okay.

I like them, but most of them seems not really strong.
I made a Marchesa deck from the scraps of my Saskia precon, put some monarchy and voting matters cards and had some funny shenanigans happen.
But then again, my playgroup is extremely casual.

Specifically, I'm looking for the best boros colored monarch cards.

Palace jailer and Skyline Despot ain't bad

>Thread question
I've been casting My commander off of shit like as foretold and dream halls, is that wrong? Is so, why?

Also I do still pay tax tho

You'd be correct. These cards only negate the physical card's mana cost, other payments like tax would still be applied.

Kind of similar to how Thalia adds a cost to force of will.

Implying there is new ixalan stuff to reveal after the leaks.

Finally got an Academy Ruins to ruin the lives of anyone that plays against my Sydri deck. Now I just want to pull a Bolas tomorrow for either a new Grixis deck or my Progenitus deck.

Any hopes for HOU cards you're hoping for at the prerelease?

It has 279 cards, they revealed 1 (ONE) foil sheet, and even then you can't read most.

>Any hopes for HOU cards you're hoping for at the prerelease?
I'm planning on doing a Scarab God deck, but I'd build a deck with any god I can pull first.

not really. probably scarab or locust god or nicol bolas. otherwise an invocation.

what are the good sealed colors this time?

I cannot stop playing a deck with white in it, which is the un-whitest deck there is?

Yidris?

The only Monarch cards I would consider playing are:
>Custodi Lich
>Keeper of Keys
>Knights of the Black Rose
>Marchesa's Decree
>Queen Marchesa
>Regal Behemoth
>Skyline Despot
>Throne of the High City

And that's scraping the bottom of the barrel. The only one I've actually ever bothered to play is Custodi Lich.

>new thread when the old one is still alive
why would you do this?
>shitty thread question
>shitty edition
dude just stop

>Regal Behemoth
seems soooo good (for causal) on paper and works soooooo poorly in practice

You actually wait for a thread to die to make another general?
You need to understand about bumplimit before talking shit.

He's been finding shit to bitch about for the past couple threads.

>thread question
But you already may play them with alternate costs and it does add the 2 mana tax each time.

You can play Akroma as a morph from the command zone.

yes thats how its worked for like a year now, no need to create a new thread when the other one is still active

>worked for like a year now
Kek.

And you can also use alternate costs like Dream Halls and they'll still require the 2 mana tax per death. Pretty good if your general is very expensive like Progenitus. Someone had the rules mixed up if they weren't allowing alternate costs for generals.

>this autismo factory so desperate to make the OP that includes his discord link that he consistently makes shit editions
Look man, I don't care either way, but you're a horrible OP. I wish legendary Ruric Thar OP would come back and take over thread duties. After the alter scourge tried to take over, he swiftly kicked those bitches to the curb and should do the same with you.

Aetherborn tribal for commander 2017

I'm not OP, retard.
If you're so triggered about a shitty link nobody reads, go back to the old thread and keep posting there.

>projecting his hate of the discord link this hard
this is some 4d psychosis here

>ordered a foil trostani
>preordered all gods + razaketh
>ordered a niv-mizzet
>ordered teysa, orzhov scion
>no idea what to build first

Help

I worded it poorly but abilities like Suspend and Ninjutsu that act as alternate casting costs but require being cast from the hand as per their rules. You could probably lump in things like Phage's triggered ability into the discussion as well.

Basically, aside from tax, should casting a Commander, for all intents and purposes, be seen as being cast from the hand?

>all gods, including locust AND niv
Huh

I'm assuming they mean alternate costs that don't actually cast the creature, like Suspend or Ninjutsu. Basically "what if there were a functional errata saying 'hand or command zone' on these abilities".

im sure locust is good in niv and viceversa

locust would be good in the 99 for niv, but niv for locust would depend on which niv.
also I thought it was implied that each ordered card would be the helm of a deck

I checked mine, they had a couple of the 2016 decks in the 29.99 packs, but I passed on them, wasn't Breya or Atraxa.

Just bring up mtggoldfish on your phone and check the decklists, they have the prices for the whole deck.

The only LGS in the city that doesn't loudly proclaim that Commander is cancer and needs to die is getting closed because jealous bitches pestered WotC with "reports" until they lost the WPN.

My interest in C17 greatly diminished.

depends on what you want to play really. You are very late and C16 is at the end of its cycle soon to be replaced by C17, maybe you should wait for c17

They release the decklists a week before release because if you don't pre-order blind like a good goy you desserve to deal with the scalpers.

If this was 10 years ago, the commons could actually be the most powerful cards in the set.
But this is MaRo's NWO so yeah, we've seen all cards worth playing.

>projecting
>using the words without understanding their meaning
as expected of discord retards.
The guy is right by the way, this is the weakest general in a while. Shit topic shit question.

111~ out of almost 300 were leaked

>be faggot
>post on 4 chan
>get upset over a discord link
>assume everyone who disagrees with you is your mortal enemy the discord link
this is textbook projection onto others
good job asshole

>continues projecting while samefagging

Enjoy the (You)

Why does there even need to be a discord link? We're in a general on an image board that's DEDICATED to the discussion of EDH, let alone one of the consistently fastest moving threads on the board. What possible benefit can discord add other than flamboyant off topic faggotry?

From what I understand, they use it to organize online games on Cockatrice/Xmage. I don't partake, but even I have a hard time seeing why people flip out at the mention of Discord.

Latching on to this, I can't stop playing Grixis or some parts of it.
What's the least Grixis deck there is?

Call me when they set up rooms on Forge too, though it seems their PvP is still trashy

W/G

Tokens with Trostian

We got the 54 rares and 15 mythics. All the commons and uncommons are unknown.

Wouldn't hurt to ask, maybe any recs on the least X-slinging deck there is? I normally play spellslinging but going creature bound I have Animar built so idk.

Yeah, I want to build a deck for every card I just ordered. I bought niv-mizzet, firemind so I guess I could combine locust + niv.

From what I have seen from other discords in other generals, it encourages a namefag circle jerk. Considering the only good trip we have is GA, everything else is cancerous. If you make it so the discord and namefagging is unacceptable you can save a general from certain death.

I am sure for the other people hating on it it's the same way. Just equate discord with namefagging and you will probably see why people dislike it.

>Animar player think's he's safe from my B/W deck
No one escapes the Church of Deals

Karametra, stax optional.

>This happened while I was typing a response

Holy shit, need I say more?
Discord=Namefagging

My issue lies with just namefaggotry. If they quit with the namefagging and trips and kept it in the Discord, we wouldn't have a problem. It's not that Discord = namefags, it's that namefags think just because they have a place to organize for games means they can keep their names here too.

Discord would be fine if namefags kept their shit in the Discord and just for organizings games. But they don't. Namefags are inherently retarded and it's not the fault of Discord that namefags taint everything they touch.

>Everyone I disagree with is samefagging.
you are just a moron after all

Be honest with yourself here: Do you ever think they will stop?

I don't. It's in the nature of the kind of person that trips without purpose.

Which means they'll do it, Discord or no. At least if it's in Discord they're not in the thread circle-jerking. The people who do so in the thread will do it regardless. The only solutions for a tripfag or a namefags is either a ban or a complete refusal to acknowledge their existence. Filtering them doesn't help because they'll still bother others.

Yes, but the discord makes more of them. Which is why it has to be condemned. If you really want the info out there create a whole new thread, a "discord general" used to organize games of all types. Don't piggyback off our thread and kill it by slowly turning it into a tripfag circle jerk.

archive.4plebs.org/_/search/tripcode/!!nMR3UaudcIW/
boards.fireden.net/_/search/boards/a.cm.ic.sci.v.vg.y/tripcode/ !!nMR3UaudcIW/
>all those posts
Yeah, discord or no, he's going to keep doing it.

I'm not the one advocating for it, and personally I think it would be a good idea to have a separate thread dedicated to Discords or organizing games. It wouldn't have to be limited to EDH or MtG either, it could be used for online tabletop and wargames of all kinds.

Finally am getting out to a game store tomorrow. What are some staples I need to pick up for Feldon here?

O U R G U Y
U
R
G
U
Y

I second this question. I've been meaning to build Feldon for a while.

In response to you, user, have this.

Why do people take shit in EDH so personally?

"Why did you kill me, I dindo nuthin "

It's like sure, you aren't a threat right now but I can kill you and taking you out now makes it easier to kill everyone else later in the game. Idk I find it kind of funny how butt hurt some people get.

you can get the original hand back if you choose through right? because it was still removed with the card

Yes. You can essentially swap between two different hands each turn.

I wish that they worked and it definitely would not make Ith or Higure overpowered (not even close). Maybe it's a slippery slope but I would play against them if someone wanted to house rule it and it is a shame they don't work. Derevi is far more obscene than any suspend or ninjitsu card.

>Why do people take shit in EDH so personally?
I have no idea, same shit with counterspells and bloodmoon
>how dare you stop me from doing what I want to do I just want to have fun!
nerds are the worst people on the planet, literal social outcasts with an inflated sense of intellect.

holy shit
need one for my casual deck

>mfw I only wanted to play online instead of 1v1 against the damn AI
Oh fuck off

Magus of the Wheel, those cards ain't gonna dump themselves into your grave alone.

Do they have a strict "no EDH allowed" policy or something?

I mean the try hard Elliot Rodgers that play Standard / Modern can be annoying but these autistic scrubs with all their made up rules for commander really piss me off. I had one guy start to cry and leave the store yesterday after I killed him.

The easiest games to win are when you have slightly off start, people take pity leaving you aside and you just win out of nowhere since they forgot that you're the combo player.

Doesn't apply to legacy lite decks tho

> I had one guy start to cry and leave the store yesterday after I killed him.
None of that happened and you know it. Especially the part where you killed him.

Ty user

His eyes were clearly watering. He was butt blasted. Tried to get me to spare him and go after the other guy left in the game.

goblin welder
Liqui-metal Coating probably isn't stable but it can work in conjunction w/ Welder to force sacrifice of permanents that Red usually can't touch (Enchantments/Indestructible/High Toughness Creatures)

Some let you play but will not aknowledge you're there and move you away to other tables if they have to run a draft or something. Some will verbally abuse you until you leave.
The later are a retarded group of asshole store owners that blame us for Standard being shit and nobody wanting to play it.

The only other store that actively runs Commander events is almost exclusively 1v1 and literally three steps from the ghetto.

Bizarre. I didn't know stores got so upset about which formats people play.

Sounds like they hate money.

>Sounds like they hate money
user, it actually sounds like the opposite, since EDH makes stores fuck all for money. I have only seen one monetization scheme that works, and it's really only good when you have a fuck ton of EDH players to start with.

Standard and Draft make stores the most money. EDH players are largely very entrenched players who rarely buy product, and only occasionally buy singles, which the store will typically only be making a slight margin on. When they do buy product, it's precons that the store usually only gets in small quantities. EDH players also typically don't participate in tournaments, so they're not paying tournament entry fees either.

EDH players are not good customers, is the bottom line.

what's the best artifact and enchantment removal in mardu. I want to make aggro but everyone ramps like stupid or pillowforts behind artifacts and enchantment.

I'll be running either helmsmasher or gender bender smiley face.