It's magic I don't got to explain shit, stop being autistic

> It's magic I don't got to explain shit, stop being autistic
This bothers me way more than it should

Probably because you're autistic

Seriously though what's wrong with having explanations for these things?

Because it's magic.

>I got a cool idea but user needs a complete lore guide to how it has come to pass.
well fuck it then

There's nothing wrong with having explanations for things, but that doesn't mean there always needs to be one.

>From one absolute extreme straight to fucking another
Typical strawmanning Veeky Forums.

Having an explanation is fine. Demanding one is just being an asshole.

Because "it's magic" is the actual explanation. The laws of realities are warped by force of human will combined with arcane knowledge. divine intervention, or trafficking with demons to the effect of making the impossible possible. There is no further explanation.

It really depends on the setting and the level of magic of the thing being explained, if it would be realistic for one of the pc's to know the reason behind something you need and explanation

I'm fine with however someone wants to run there game, but people seem to dismiss more in depth and realistic setting
I can understand this, most people that claim there setting is realistic are edgy hacks but still, it seems like people have a kneejerk hatred of realism and more scientific magic systems

Thier

It's generally because of people who use 'realism' to shit on settings which never cared about it in the first place.

I can see that, I generally evaluate settings by if they deliver on what they claim to be, anything that markets itself as realistic for example should be really internally consistent

Depends on setting

I agree, assessing things on their own terms is generally the fair way to go about it.

Although, internal consistency doesn't necessitate realism. A setting can be much more based on thematic or narrative logic and still remain consistent with itself.

The best magic systems, imo, are ones with clearly defined rules as to what can and cannot be done.

What would you think about a high magic system that was built around the logical consequences of magic rather than theme? Would you consider it realistic?

No, because high fantasy by definition isn't realistic.

Then what would you call simultationist style high magic settings?

System with a thick-ass book

A few off the top of my head
>intricate (probably)
>uses associated mechanics
>setting-specific

Thank

>in my setting, elves fart out a hummingbird every 30 seconds! xD
>Why?
>lol it magic i don't gotta explain shit xDDD
>But it doesn't make any sense and it's retarded.
>LOL IT LE MAGIC AND I DON'T LE GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

This is why people laugh at you and your shit games. Go fuck yourself.

Your should stop playing games with the Strawman user.

I feel like Brandon Sanderson's approach to magic and creating a magical system is best. At the very least magic should be internally consistent. The only reasons for that not to be the case are indolence, a lack of imagination or the the desire to leave open the possibility for deus ex machina.

Tell me Veeky Forums why do these elves shit hummingbirds, how does it affect their culture?

Spontaneous and uncontrolled conjuration magic that is a part of their essential nature, and a distinct lack of pants, respectively.

So, an overuse of conjuration in their ancestors caused it to be permanent part of their physiology?

Hummingbirds aren't actually native to this setting's plane, and this is just how they migrate there from parts unknown.

Much better than ITS LE MAGIC XD, isn't it?

Dumb memeposters & That GM: 0
Actual Veeky Forums posters: 1

That's what most sages think, but their mythology cites the angering of a nature deity. Supposedly they nearly destroyed all natural life, and the deity transformed them thus so that they could never accomplish this. However, the deity named in this myth is one of the handful of deities who have not been seen intervening in the physical world, so their existence is still disputed.

First: no, the GM doesn't have to explain shit.
The can always be "Your character doesn't know."

>This bothers me way more than it should
No, it as hold bother everyone.
It is avoiding an internal inconsistency that needs explanation and instead of addressing the point, smugly replying that the word "magic" explains all, nothing else need be said, and that a lazy lack of creativity should be lauded as the ultimate answer.

It is bullshit.

>Implying shitty meme posters aren't a core part of Veeky Forums now

I worry that we're never going to recover from that combination of quest drama and election.

Because at a certain point, it's basically fiat for any bullshit the storyteller wants to pull, leading to really lazy plotting.

This. "Magic" is fine for expressig that the exacct mechanism by which something works isn't known in any capacity, but it's not spackle.

How does a Create Food and Water work? Magic. How could a remote Cleric school be suffering from a famine in a setting where Create Food and Water exist? There might be a reason, but it sure as hell isn't just "magic."

I think we need a more specific example to.make sense of this one.

I'd like to blame that, but I don''t think that's the problem. I think there's a lot of different games running under the Veeky Forums umbrella, I think of the games that predominate there's big changes in how they're run and what that means, and I think rather than discussing that we just want to be assholes to each other.

Can't blame the questies for that.

FPBP

It's hard not to blame the double whammy of the anti-fun brigade moving on from quests to everything else and the migration of /pol/.
They happened close together, and quality's been tanked since.
If it were an issue of the games themselves, the timeline would have been different.

>stop being autistic

You're delving too deep into details that really are not that important, and that's why you're making yourself out to be an autist.